PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle thrust washer and lift

uncle_asa
10/26/2008, 12:11 PM
I wonder if guys who lifted VX and did not installed diff drop brackets having problem with the knuckle thrust washer. Mine wear out every 10 000 - 15 000 miles. Is it normal for the lifted VX or I have specific problem to me ot everyone else just not noticing that? :)

I actually plan to drop the diff but if it's something specific to me I need to dig further to find the cause (may be replace or polish drive shaft and knuckle, etc.).

tom4bren
10/27/2008, 05:27 AM
Unka Asa,

Please post some pix of what you're talking about. I can't figure out the part you are referencing.

Tom

VX1032
10/28/2008, 01:30 PM
I haven't had an issue, But I know MountaineerISUZU on the planet just posted soemthing about an issue with it on his 2nd Gen Rodeo. May just be a fluke thing, but if you are a member you may want to ask him.

uncle_asa
10/29/2008, 12:21 AM
Tom, please see the picture:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/knuckle.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12263)
The part I'm talking about is #7.

tom4bren
11/03/2008, 11:14 AM
Nope - haven't had any problems with mine. I haven't torn it down that far though so I could have wear & not know it. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Ldub
11/03/2008, 04:12 PM
I wonder if guys who lifted VX and did not installed diff drop brackets having problem with the knuckle thrust washer. Mine wear out every 10 000 - 15 000 miles. Is it normal for the lifted VX or I have specific problem to me ot everyone else just not noticing that? :)

I actually plan to drop the diff but if it's something specific to me I need to dig further to find the cause (may be replace or polish drive shaft and knuckle, etc.).

Could you please explain what the symptoms are, when these wear out?:_wrench:

uncle_asa
11/03/2008, 09:15 PM
Could you please explain what the symptoms are, when these wear out?:_wrench:
The initial symptom was weird loud squeaking sound from metal parts that happens time to time. But the initial destruction might happened because of broken down needle bearing.

This time it was something different with the same symptoms, though washer wear out partially too. Looks like I need to replace or polish knuckle and replace CV and that might resolve issue with the washer.

Ldub
11/04/2008, 06:14 AM
The initial symptom was weird loud squeaking sound from metal parts that happens time to time. But the initial destruction might happened because of broken down needle bearing.

This time it was something different with the same symptoms, though washer wear out partially too. Looks like I need to replace or polish knuckle and replace CV and that might resolve issue with the washer.

Thanks!...I'll be listening, though if it's a high pitched squeaking, I will probably miss it...:sighwgray

uncle_asa
11/04/2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks!...I'll be listening, though if it's a high pitched squeaking, I will probably miss it...:sighwgray
Mine was aloud, cannot miss it. Much noticeable than squeaking from the brakes.

etlsport
11/05/2008, 07:39 PM
when did it squeak? the front end of my vx squeaks quite a bit and i cant figure out why.. it does it when i go over bumps at low speed.. and when i use too much force to scrub the front end while cleaning... one of these days im gonna replace the front shocks to see if that helps... greaseable swaybar bushings were greased.. no dice..

uncle_asa
11/05/2008, 09:10 PM
when did it squeak? the front end of my vx squeaks quite a bit and i cant figure out why.. it does it when i go over bumps at low speed.. and when i use too much force to scrub the front end while cleaning... one of these days im gonna replace the front shocks to see if that helps... greaseable swaybar bushings were greased.. no dice..
For me it happened in very different situations, it was mostly notable when I was driving across the parking lots, but still not all the time and does not matter if I made turn or driving straight. But sometimes it was quite notable when driving on the highway.