PDA

View Full Version : Error Code 300: Enigine Misfire

mattlewis9333
11/13/2008, 02:40 PM
New guy here. Recently I have been having a few problems with my 2001. Most importantly, the engine has been bucking whenever I accelerate. In other words; the engine experiences brief moments of engine hesitation every few seconds while accelerating. I took it to AutoZone and I got error 300: "engine misfire" which the guy said could be the spark plugs, the wires or the fuel injectors. Should I just change the sparkplugs, fuel filter, something else?

Also, this is probably stupid, but how do you search for info on this site. I tried the little search box on the left of the home page, but it seems to just bring up 5 random threads. I'm sure that someone has already posted this question, but I don't have time to manually search through 1600 plus pages of threads.

Also, I was recently having another problem where the engine was idling high and inconsistently. I followed the advice I found on here and used MAF spray cleaner to clean the MAF Sensor and the Oxygen Sensor. Worked like a charm. Thanks.

tom4bren
11/13/2008, 02:49 PM
Changing out the spark plugs would be a good start but it sounds more like it could be the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Use the search function to find a recent thread on it.

When you use the search function, put the search text in the first field and pull down on the second & select forum. Post again if you can't find it & I'll give it a go.

Good luck.

Tom

Mark B
11/13/2008, 02:55 PM
Welcome new guy. Become a site supporter.

etlsport
11/13/2008, 03:01 PM
i would change out my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator first.. dino did a great write-up on how to do it.. and there is an allen wrench modified to make the job easier floating around the forum somewhere that i sent out as a community tool, you can find out who has it and ask for it and they will send it to you free.. all you have to do is send it to the next person who needs it when you are done

as for the search.. there is another "search" tool just under the vehicross.info logo at the top of the page

JGeorge264
11/13/2008, 04:14 PM
Changing the spark plugs took care of the problem when mine was doing the same thing. :bgwg:

VehiGAZ
11/13/2008, 06:09 PM
But before you do those other things - first remove each coil pack and see if you have moisture down in the holes. This has happened to a few of us recently after power-washing our engine bays. Just a little bit of water/moisture will ground out the ignition pulse. If any are wet, let them dry out and reassemble.

nfpgasmask
11/13/2008, 09:15 PM
I am no mechanic, but if this was happening to me, I would most certainly start with the easy stuff:

1) Fuel Pressure Regulator
2) Fuel Filter
3) Spark Plugs

Change your oil and PCV valve while your at it and see what happens and go from there.

Welcome to forum, hang around a bit and you will get to liking it and learn loads about your awesome vehicle.

How many miles you got on this VX?

Bart

mattlewis9333
11/14/2008, 07:06 AM
It has just over 91,000 miles on it. I bought it almost 2 years ago with 48,000 miles, but I've been commuting to work. Luckily, I just moved about 5 miles from work, so wear and tear and awful mileage are less of a concern.

I ordered a FPR and a Fuel filter and they'll be in today. I'll change those out this weekend and let you guys know. I'll probablly also change the spark plugs since I have close to 100,000 miles.

Also, I'll check for water in the spark plug holes, but I haven't ever power washed my engine, so I have less hope of that being the culprit.

nfpgasmask
11/14/2008, 08:21 AM
It has just over 91,000 miles on it. I bought it almost 2 years ago with 48,000 miles, but I've been commuting to work. Luckily, I just moved about 5 miles from work, so wear and tear and awful mileage are less of a concern.

I ordered a FPR and a Fuel filter and they'll be in today. I'll change those out this weekend and let you guys know. I'll probablly also change the spark plugs since I have close to 100,000 miles.

Also, I'll check for water in the spark plug holes, but I haven't ever power washed my engine, so I have less hope of that being the culprit.

Yeah, it's definitely time for you to do some swapping of these wear parts. I bet the FPR and fuel filter will fix this. If not, spark plugs could definitely do it if you haven't ever changed them. IMO, spending a few hundred dollars on replacement parts is a good idea for high mileage VXes.

Did you find the thread about how to change the fuel filter? It's pretty easy just a little messy and your garage will stink like gas for a day...

Bart

Ldub
11/14/2008, 08:25 AM

I'm gonna guess that you'll find the culprit to be a coil pack or spark plug.
It could be something as simple as a bad connection on one of the coil packs.

mattlewis9333
11/20/2008, 04:49 AM
I finally got around to changing my fuel pressure regulator yesterday evening and my problems are solved. No more bucking during acceleration. However, when I got in there I found that the vaccum hose that attaches to the FPR had disconnected itself and the hose clamp had slipped off into who knows where. So, that probably was the issue, but I changed the FPR anyway. I used a normal hose clamp from Autozone to finish it off.

I changed my Fuel filter the day before yesterday and although that didn't fix my entire problem, it did fix the problem of engine bucking when I was just cruising at speed on the highway so I highly recommend that change to anyone experiencing the same issues.

As for the modified allen wrench that you guys send around, you had me scared that it was something that I wouldn't be able to do myself. I just cut my allen wrench using a Dremmel tool cutting blade that I put on my drill. That $2.00 item easily cut the extended length allen wrench that I got in a set at Autozone for 7.99. I have now used those dremmel cutting blades attached to my drill to 1) take off the silicone on the bottom of my VX windows 2) modify the allen wrench for this project and 3) shave down the tips of the circlip pliers so that they would fit in the tiny holes to remove the FPR on this project. Best $2.00 I ever spent.

Ldub
11/20/2008, 05:17 AM
Good news...:thumbup:
While you proved my guess to be wrong, I don't mind...:smilewink
Having your VX running good again is all that matters.
Keep track of your mileage to see if there's any increase...:thumbup:

Chopper
11/20/2008, 06:33 AM

Timing belt time too. If you haven't done it yet, don't delay. Guaranteed already stretched for sure, and a broken T.B. will ruin your week. Like a colonoscopy at fifty....you gotta do it.

mattlewis9333
11/20/2008, 09:40 AM
Chopper, please elaborate about the timing belt. I'm no mechanic.

Chopper
11/20/2008, 12:39 PM
The timing belt is at the front of the engine. It keeps the valves in sync with the pistons. Like the name implies, it controls the valve timing. If you've no wrench time, I don't think this is the place I'd start my education alone. It's not terribly difficult, just exacting. No room for error. 100k is change time (I usually do them sometime after 70k because it is such a huge P.I.A. when they go. You will see the procedure in the download shop manual Tone provided us. Buy some beer, get a wrench friend (a competent wrench) and spend an afternoon getting dirty.....or fork over a few hundred to a garage and get it done. There've been a few belt horror stories on here. I think Indiana VXs' went on the longest.....way too long.

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 01:49 PM
The timing belt is at the front of the engine. It keeps the valves in sync with the pistons. Like the name implies, it controls the valve timing. If you've no wrench time, I don't think this is the place I'd start my education alone. It's not terribly difficult, just exacting. No room for error. 100k is change time (I usually do them sometime after 70k because it is such a huge P.I.A. when they go. You will see the procedure in the download shop manual Tone provided us. Buy some beer, get a wrench friend (a competent wrench) and spend an afternoon getting dirty.....or fork over a few hundred to a garage and get it done. There've been a few belt horror stories on here. I think Indiana VXs' went on the longest.....way too long.

Yeah, I just rolled 80k and have been thinking about getting this done sooner than later. My fear is that a shop will only eff up and make matters worse.

I will definitely be providing the TSB about changing the timing belt to whoever I give my VX over to when its time to get this done.

I'm still scared though. I would love to do it myself with someone who knows exactly how to do it.

Bart

Ldub
11/20/2008, 03:34 PM
Chopper, please elaborate about the timing belt. I'm no mechanic.

Here is a great set of vids re: timing belt...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12312&highlight=timing+belt

VehiGAZ
11/21/2008, 06:22 AM
I just cut my allen wrench using a Dremmel tool cutting blade that I put on my drill.

Dremels ROCK!!!

VehiGAZ
11/21/2008, 06:24 AM
My fear is that a shop will only eff up and make matters worse.

When I inquired with my now-no-longer-Isuzu dealer about the timing belt, I was quoted under $400 for the job - CHEAP! I would bring it to a dealer as they've no doubt done quite a few Isuzu 3.5L t-belts before, if maybe not in a VX.

Of course, I had the indie shop that did my S/C install do the t-belt at the same time, and paid like $700 for the job. :-(