PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ebay auction

SlowPro48
11/14/2008, 01:24 PM
How much would you give for a ragged out 1963 Pontiac Tempest with no engine or transmission?

Check out ebay item# 110306170567

Ldub
11/14/2008, 01:46 PM
Oh absolutely...ya see cars that nice on the TV car auctions all the time...:rotate:

That's gotta be a horrible cruel joke or misprint os something.

SlowPro48
11/14/2008, 02:42 PM
Apparently it's not a joke but, rather, the story of one lucky SOB hitting the jackpot. Here's what they said about it over on nextauto dot com:

Over the weekend, we caught wind of a very unique auction for a rusty and drivetrain-less 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest. From a modest starting bid of $500, a book-worthy story has sprouted in Harrison, Michigan.
The seller, 123ecklin, was aware that his car appeared to have some sort of racing history, thanks to its plexiglass windows, a racetrack dashboard plaque, and a non-standard suspension. But as the auction unfolded, it was revealed that his car is almost certainly one of just six 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest Super Duty Coupes built (there were an equal number of wagons), making it one of the rarest and most desirable muscle cars extant.

As the story goes, this car is believed to have been driven by racer Stan Antlocer, and it was one of the fastest drag racers of its era.

The most fascinating part of the whole story is arguably perusing of the addendums to the auction listing, which chronicle the “Eureka!” moment where the seller realized he owned not just another rusty muscle car, but a valuable piece of history.

At auction close, the Tempest had cleared a whopping $226,522, and Jay Leno was rumored to be taking part in the bidding.

iamironman
11/14/2008, 03:46 PM
At auction close, the Tempest had cleared a whopping $226,522, and Jay Leno was rumored to be taking part in the bidding

omg!!... I'm crying... why can't I fall into that kind of doodoo....????????

:(:(

SlowPro48
11/14/2008, 06:43 PM
...why can't I fall into that kind of doodoo....????????

Hey, you live in TX so you've got a better chance than most of us!

Of the six coupes, two have been restored already, one was destroyed, one just sold on ebay - and two are still unaccounted for. Of those two, one was shipped to Texas - last known whereabouts was Superior Pontiac in San Antonio.

Get crackin'!!!

Ldub
11/14/2008, 07:47 PM
Let that be a lesson to ME...:smilewink

Never judge a pile-O-s*** solely on appearance...:rolleyesg

While I can see the worth going up from "pay me to haul it away", to maybe a few thousand dollars, due to the rarity.
Without most of the original racing goodies, or even WITH them, I still can't believe it's worth that large a pile.

Shows how much I know...:sighwgray

iamironman
11/14/2008, 09:44 PM
Get crackin'!!!

LOL... hmmm... there's an old rusted out errrr... ummmm... well... 'something' in a pasture off the highway on my weekly trek to pick up my kids... I'm stopping to see how much the rancher wants for it!! (whatever it is)