PDA

View Full Version : to lock or not lock?

WiSDoM
11/20/2008, 06:16 PM
i am finally getting around to having my 4.77s, diff drop brackets, and yet another set of axles installed. i was thinking about having the Assie 12 bolt installed too. I know some of your guys have them and was wondering if you could share your thoughts? I also will be having my brakes done and will need to replace the stock muffler too. so any advice on this items too would be appreciated. thanks

Ldub
11/20/2008, 07:17 PM
I've not gotten around to installing mine yet, but I know a couple of things that may be useful...:rolleyesg

I see from your gallery that the occaisional off-road excursion is in the cards.:thumbup:
Who knows, you may not need that winch...:smilewink
Also, you will need a carrier from an "open" diff., as the stock LSD carrier won't fit the Aussie locker, this means that the gears should be set up at the time of installation.
Matt at Indy4X probably has used open carriers for around $50-60.00.
Also, it's advisable to replace the carrier bearings (around $80.00 from Merlin IIRC, but not 100% sure on prices), you'll also need a shim set to set up the gears, and a set of (12) new ring gear bolts is advised.

Should be a great mod for off-road fun, but me thinks the rear end could get a little squirrely on snow & ice.

I've also heard to expect a little clicking when going around corners on dry pavement etc.