PDA

View Full Version : wierd problem

spitfire5454
11/26/2008, 02:11 PM
So i finally got my supercharger working like it was supposed to. had to make my own egr pipe and flange. Had to drill and thread holes in the S/C. Big PITA! Still pissed that it didnt come like this, but whatever its fixed now. I get it running perfectly. I put maybe 2300 miles on it since. I needed something a little more gas friendly so i switch cars with my wife. while shes driving it on the free way, it starts to sputter and then it dies. She tries to start it again. It starts, but CEL comes on and its in "limp mode". She creeps into a gas station and waits for her brother for about 30min. He gets there tries to start it. Starts up fine, CEL gone, he drives it home, Drives perfectly. I take it to autozone to get the code read, but it doesnt show one. (i guess the light has to actually be on) ive been driving it since with no probs. any guesses what could cause this? I dont like it when my VX goes to limp mode!:mad: Ill be taking it on many road trips going though the middle of nowhere, and id hate to get stranded. Any thoughts. thanks in advance guys.

don moore
11/26/2008, 02:33 PM
i switch cars with my wife.:rolleyes:

I think I know the problem....:p
J/K

VehiGAZ
11/26/2008, 03:01 PM
A code should store in memory anytime the CEL comes on. Very odd. Reading codes is not rocket science, so I wouldn't even chalk it up to AutoZone servic etech incompentence. Hmm... very strange.

I don't know what puts a VX in limp-home mode (but I'll give you a dissertation on what can cause it in an '89 Porsche!). Anyone know?

I had misfires due to water in the the spark plug well after power-washing the engine, which acts like a limp-home mode. Did you do anything like that recently?

There's always the impossible-to-disprove electrical gremlins theory...

Good luck!

etlsport
11/26/2008, 03:50 PM
mm sounds similar to a problem i had..

i was driving down the freeway and hit the gas to accelerate with traffic and i couldnt rev past like 2300rpm.. so i pulled it over and looked down and CEL was on.. turned it off.. checked under the hood for obvious bad signs.. saw nothing.. got back in and started it back up.. ran like a champ... after that i replaced my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and i havent had an issue since

Gussie2000
11/26/2008, 08:01 PM
i switch cars with my wife.:rolleyes:

I think I know the problem....:p
J/K

Jajajajajaja I guess the cell was because of your wify.....:p

Probally the VX doesn't like the idea of being drive by her

However the symptoms are weird though.But you can follow eric steps & replace those parts

spitfire5454
11/27/2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys. I figured it might be the fuel filter. Before all this, the vx was in storage for 3 years. I thought that some crap built up during that time and prolly made it's way to the fuel filter. I'll replace the fuel filter and see if it helps.

Gussie2000
11/27/2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys. I figured it might be the fuel filter. Before all this, the vx was in storage for 3 years. I thought that some crap built up during that time and prolly made it's way to the fuel filter. I'll replace the fuel filter and see if it helps.

My VX was in storage for 5 years before i bought it & that situation cause few lifters to get stucked & had to replaced them.

It seems that the VX's don't like to being outter the streets :rolleyes:

Ldub
11/28/2008, 09:43 AM

You might try a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank to help "de-gunk" the fuel system after sitting so long...:_wrench: