PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, carlymac, for the lock/alarm antenna mod

workmeistr
11/28/2008, 05:17 PM
I was itching to do a quick mod this afternoon and remembered that I had this how-to video saved in my ‘VX Favorites.’

Thanks to carlymac for his great lock/alarm antenna raising trick.
I gained about 20-30 ft arming radius. I was tired of having to be nearly right next to the VX to unlock/lock the doors. The mod took me 20 minutes, just ‘cause I’m anal about wire routing and securing.

The video:
http://homepage.mac.com/tendres/iMovieTheater16.html

I wish I would have had my VX when I was in Clarksville, TN to have thanked you in person, but, here’s a cookie for you:

tomdietrying
11/28/2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that. I'm going to try it.

One question. How do you know which wire goes to the lock/alarm antenna ?
Thanks again.
Peace.
Tom

workmeistr
11/28/2008, 06:42 PM
All you're doing is rerouting the existing 'antenna,' a wire, from under the plastic sill piece (4 screws and a plastic plug to remove the sill piece), from the sill area to a higher position over the door, for extended range.

When you remove the plastic sill piece and pull back the carpet a little bit, there is no denying that you have the right wire. It will be zip-tied to a thicker harness, a loose (in my case for a 2001, grey) wire, going to no where.

Just pull it free of the zip ties the length of the sill towards the bulkhead, pop off the kick panel trim and free it up to where it meets a harness of wires behind the OBD II plug. Undo as much door seal as necessary and remove the pillar trim to reroute the wire up behind the left side of the dash to the pillar area. Route it up and zip-tie to the existing wiring under the pillar trim and tuck it up under the headliner above the door. Reinstall door seal.

Cool trick and easy to do. I thought about extending the wire for even greater range, but then I thought maybe the wire is a certain length to best receive at the spectrum the alarm operates?:_confused

Thmstec
11/29/2008, 01:03 AM
I was wondering what that grey wire was for! Just got done (mostly) installing my audio system. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow if I have a spare 20 min.

VCrossfan
11/29/2008, 01:12 PM
It does help you can also do the dual battery and/or the chin trick...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12324&highlight=remote+batteries