PDA

View Full Version : Tod gone crazy?

zadam123
12/04/2008, 02:49 PM
When i slow down to under around 30 my tod lights flash as i am slowing down.

here is a video of it so you can see my mph going down at the same time my tod shows 4WD flashing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsAnFRZ4bk

what would cause this , It never did this unless i gave it some gass never the brake?

rowhard
12/04/2008, 04:04 PM
Well, I don't have a clue other then to ask, are the tires the same size?:confused:

zadam123
12/04/2008, 04:58 PM
Well, I don't have a clue other then to ask, are the tires the same size?:confused:
two front are the same and the 2 rear are the same

Solitude
12/04/2008, 05:00 PM
yes.. do a tread depth and tire pressure check/cold on your tires..

The largest and closest should be on the back.. and there shouldnt be any variance in your pressures, the only other thing I would suggest is putting some dielectric grease on your TOD sensors, they are on the T/C. I think there is a video uploaded on the sight to show them a bit better but it probably doesn't say TOD sensors,

Good luck
Jeff

zadam123
12/04/2008, 07:45 PM
yes.. do a tread depth and tire pressure check/cold on your tires..

The largest and closest should be on the back.. and there shouldnt be any variance in your pressures, the only other thing I would suggest is putting some dielectric grease on your TOD sensors, they are on the T/C. I think there is a video uploaded on the sight to show them a bit better but it probably doesn't say TOD sensors,

Good luck
Jeff

ill search the threads for that but wondering why it only happens when under 30 and slowing down?

Ldub
12/04/2008, 11:26 PM
two front are the same and the 2 rear are the same

I'd guess that is your problem.
All four have to be the same size/pressure, & preferably, pretty close in tread depth/brand etc, for the TOD to function properly.:_wrench:

Riff Raff
12/05/2008, 02:55 AM
Bingo LDub. All four(4) tires must be exactly the same in Brand, Model, Size, and PSI in order for the TOD to function properly. Mix-matching tires in any way shape or form on the VX is a No-Go!

zadam123
12/05/2008, 07:55 AM
all tires are all season same size about same tread . if it was the tire wouldnt it happen at other times not when my foot is off the gass and under 30mph comming to a stop. this dont happen when crusing the hw. also i thought that the tod kickes in if there is slipage, there is no slipage under 30 and on the brake lightly

Ldub
12/05/2008, 08:10 AM
all tires are all season same size about same tread . if it was the tire wouldnt it happen at other times not when my foot is off the gass and under 30mph comming to a stop. this dont happen when crusing the hw. also i thought that the tod kickes in if there is slipage, there is no slipage under 30 and on the brake lightly

If the tires on the rear are slightly smaller, they make more revs per given distance covered, causing the TOD to sense this as slippage. In theory, even rolling resistance of differing tread patterns could come into play, but that's a long shot.
Maybe rotate the tires front to rear, to see if anything changes?
If you've been running this tire combo for a while with no symptoms, & this just started, it could be a bad/poorly connected sensor, a bad/poorly connected TOD computer, or a few hundred "other things".
I'd check for same x 4 air pressure, all connections etc, & if that doesn't do it, find a dealer for diagnosis...:sighwgray

Usual Suspect
01/08/2009, 04:58 PM
I had exactly the same problem. The problem was low pressure in both rear tires. I inflated them to spec and the problem disappeared.

VXIRONwoMAN
01/09/2009, 01:09 PM
I had this problem last week! A darn screw was in my passenger rear tire. It was at 18psi with the others at 42psi. Once I fixed that, no more TOD issues.

Ldub
01/09/2009, 02:39 PM

So, did you ever figure out what caused this? :confused:

zadam123
01/09/2009, 03:20 PM
tire pressure is good, i havent gotten a chance to try to rotate my tires yet but when i do ill let you know if this solves the problem

VehiGAZ
04/06/2009, 06:01 PM
Chalk up another ToD spasm to tire pressures. I drove the VX to work on Friday, and the check light was on from start. About half way to work it went off, but I was getting spastic indicators - no lights to all lights, to some lights...

Today it started out fine but the check light came on again. Then it went off but showed no indicator lights. I search and found this thread, so on the way home, I stopped at the gas station to check tire pressures... 45+ psi all the way around!?! How the heck did that happen?!? Even if I filled them to 33 psi on the coldest day of the winter, I would not expect that much of a pressure increase. It hasn't been serviced recently, so there was no reason to suspect a grease monkey mistake.

Anyway, all was fine and normal the rest of the way home. Hope it holds... I don't want to fix a car I am trying to sell!

VehiGAZ
04/17/2009, 04:55 PM
Posted too soon... I think I summoned the wolf from the woods (a translation of a Ukrainian saying...)

The ToD spasms persisted after adjusting the tire pressures. I brought it in and they traced the problem to the ToD sensor wiring harness. The insulation wore away where the harness passed through/by/over/under the frame, and it was shorting out intermittantly.

Oddly enough, I had a similar problem over the 2007/2008 winter, but that time the wiring harness came loose and was resting on the catalytic converter, which of course melted the insulation and caused it to short out.

Zadam - have your ToD wiring harness checked. I saw your video, and it shows the exact same ToD light spasms I was having.

zadam123
04/24/2009, 05:05 PM
Posted too soon... I think I summoned the wolf from the woods (a translation of a Ukrainian saying...)

Zadam - have your ToD wiring harness checked. I saw your video, and it shows the exact same ToD light spasms I was having.

thanks I will look into this. Do you by any chance know where this is? maby a pic ?

VehiGAZ
04/25/2009, 06:30 AM
Sorry, I have no idea - I brought it to the shop to fix it (both times).

zadam123
04/26/2009, 01:18 PM
Sorry, I have no idea - I brought it to the shop to fix it (both times).

just curious did your tod go crazy only when almost comming to a stop like mine or was it all the time?

VehiGAZ
04/27/2009, 06:19 AM
Mine was on and off, with no noticable pattern.

If yours is doing it only when slowing, then my guess is that the wiring is grounding out in only one direction when the chassis flexes on deceleration.

Wiring is not like an alternator or other fixed part - the wiring runs are by nature a little different on every car, so these kinds of issues are going to be unique to yours. When you slow down, you are throwing weight forward in the vehicle. Your wiring harness may only be grounding out where it hits the frame or something as it shifts forward under deceleration.

I paid for 3-4 hours of labor on each of my two ToD wiring repairs - it takes a while for the mechanic to diagnose, find, and fix this kind of problem.

G