PDA

View Full Version : My virtual Vehicross Project.

kodiak
12/07/2008, 12:08 PM
I’ve been thinking about doing something like this for some time. After installing Zmodeler I started looking up tutorials on making accurate models. I ran across some good training video on youtube and I have able to stop modeling.:rolleyes: This is what I have so far.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VXModel01.jpg

Ldub
12/07/2008, 12:12 PM
Wow, that's cool...:thumbup:

I never knew that from the front of the front side glass, to the rear of the rear side glass was "1865"...:rolleyes:

tomdietrying
12/07/2008, 12:13 PM
Wow! Looks fantastic.....keep up the good work.
Peace.
Tom

WormGod
12/08/2008, 07:47 AM
Not sure what ever happened to the one I handed over to the DARPA guys. Hope they got some use out of it.

I did one years ago in StudioMax but never went back to actually make it compatible for some racing game mod use. I still have the files but no longer have a copy of Max for home use. Talk though work about getting home licenses and if that happens, consider it DONE. I REALLY want to be able to put a VX into Dirt2. ;)

nfpgasmask
12/08/2008, 08:32 AM
That is cool, Richard. So, you obviously have the VX diagram from the Japanese brochure imported, and then what do you do? Do you just lay a wire frame over it and then move the vectors around to get the right 3 dimensional angles?

It would be really awesome if we could get a full 3-d model of the VX made that we could use for part identification. Like, when someone asks where the fill port on the tranny is, we could just refer to a number and run a little program that shows the 3D VX and where everything is located.

That would be sweet.

Of course, getting a VX into a video game would be even better. I so desperately wanted my VX in MotorStorm!

Bart

PS - Can you make a VX in Little Big Planet? That would be reason enough to buy the game!

LittleBeast
12/08/2008, 09:16 AM
Of course, getting a VX into a video game would be even better. I so desperately wanted my VX in MotorStorm!

Bart

PS - Can you make a VX in Little Big Planet? That would be reason enough to buy the game!

Yeah a VX in MotorStorm would be awesome!!!!! Oh and if you are really good and have a steady hand then yes you could make the VX in LittleBigPlanet.

kodiak
12/08/2008, 09:42 AM
I did one years ago in StudioMax but never went back to actually make it compatible for some racing game mod use. I still have the files but no longer have a copy of Max for home use. Talk though work about getting home licenses and if that happens, consider it DONE. I REALLY want to be able to put a VX into Dirt2. ;)

That’d be cool if you could post a copy of that model. You can download Zmodeler2 for free and it has the ability to export to 3ds and multiple game formats.:thumbup:

That is cool, Richard. So, you obviously have the VX diagram from the Japanese brochure imported, and then what do you do? Do you just lay a wire frame over it and then move the vectors around to get the right 3 dimensional angles?

It would be really awesome if we could get a full 3-d model of the VX made that we could use for part identification. Like, when someone asks where the fill port on the tranny is, we could just refer to a number and run a little program that shows the 3D VX and where everything is located.

That would be sweet.

Bart

The sky the limit!:cool: Yeah, I used the blueprint method by placing the vectors over the blueprint then moving them to the correct location. I haven’t seen a plugin for LBP yet.:confused:

"Looks good, but looks tedious!" says the drafter... :rolleyes: How many hours you got in that so far?

“It took 4hr’s so far. But I like doing stuff like this.” Says the DB engineer. :p

vt_maverick
12/08/2008, 03:03 PM
Better yet you could create a topless VX and objectively test its structural stability.

:p

kodiak
12/09/2008, 08:23 PM
Ok, 4hrs later this is what I have so far. I’m trying to keep the polygon count down for better game performance.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VXModel02.jpg

iamironman
12/09/2008, 08:42 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!!

_

tom4bren
12/10/2008, 07:42 AM
"Don't forget to make it yellow too!"

That's PROTON Mr. Zeus.

"add some big meats and trim out the fenders!"

& get the wheel offset right!!!

kodiak
12/10/2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks! Yeah I have a lot more to do before I get to that point.:p I have the model setup so you can change the color with a slide of a color bar. I’m going to make it completely stock at first then add mods and accessories that can be toggled on and off then exported.:cool:

LittleBeast
12/10/2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks! Yeah I have a lot more to do before I get to that point.:p I have the model setup so you can change the color with a slide of a color bar. I’m going to make it completely stock at first then add mods and accessories that can be toggled on and off then exported.:cool:

WOW, dude seriously, I was just thinking that someone needs to do this. I mean come on, think about what if you had lots of vehicles like this loaded up to a site, and then lots of options for each vehicle loaded up as well, and people could get on there and play around with their own vehicles until it was just like they wanted and there could even be links to website's that sell the various options on the car, it would be like a Need For Speed garage for real car upgrades. Can't wait until someone makes this, but who cares as long as you have yours for the VX done we are all set :) I am sure you will do this, but when you make the "lift" option make sure to try and get the rear wheels to come closer to the front fender just like in real life ;) I am tired of the "see wheels on your car" option and all you get is some terrible 2D view with the wrong size tires and no other mods and stock ride height and all the other variables that should be adjustable virtually just like they are in the real world. Well done sir!!!!!

don moore
12/10/2008, 08:28 PM
WORM GOD .....hey Gary..:p Dirt 2 is that going to be PC..and did you say a VX in it......ill bye it if it is.

WormGod
12/11/2008, 08:54 AM
WORM GOD .....hey Gary..:p Dirt 2 is that going to be PC..and did you say a VX in it......ill bye it if it is.

Uh, no, no, and no. Dirt is a Codemasters game and I have no connection at all with them. I don't even know anyone that works there. They are blokes from across the pond. :p

Dunno if it will be for PC. I think they typically do cross PC/360 platform, but nothing has really been released about Dirt2 yet. A couple of mocked up screenshots with an EVO and an STI, but that's about it. They don't release tools to add user content so I don't know about adding a VX in there.

We "should" actually try to create a list of racing sims that have user tools that allow user content to be added. I will be up and running with my new system and apps at home very soon and would be more than happy to get cracking on that old project I started.... uh.... like 4 years ago, heh. Easy enough for me since it's what I do all day anyways. ;)

kodiak
12/11/2008, 06:12 PM
It’s getting closer.:work:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VXModel03.jpg

Ldub
12/11/2008, 08:09 PM
Coming along nicely!...:thumbup:

don moore
12/11/2008, 09:16 PM
racing sims that do multiplay..that would be cool get a bunch of us together in VXs racing each other...id bite:p

nfpgasmask
12/12/2008, 08:49 AM
Very cool, dude. Do your eyes hurt yet?

Bart

kodiak
12/12/2008, 12:27 PM
They’re starting too.:rolleyes: I really respect people that do this for a living. It’s not easy, but it’s fun. I spent 2 hr just trying to get the wheels right. Luckily the stock wheels have the same design as the McLaren F1,so I just merged the wheels from an existing model then add the right bolt pattern and center cap.

Very cool, dude. Do your eyes hurt yet?

Bart

kodiak
12/17/2008, 02:46 PM
Little update, I’ve been exploring the wonderful world of UV mapping.:_brickwal

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VXModel04.jpg

kodiak
12/17/2008, 03:33 PM
Just keep drawing just keep drawing just keep drawing... :grino:

Hey, Maya is kicking my arse! That is one tough program to learn since there is so much you can do with it. Solidworks is in hand, as well as Vegas. I have been experimenting with all that stuff. Takes a long time to become familiar with this much new stuff. You are getting pretty close with your project tho, good job!

Thanks! I was playing with Maya 8.5 last year, you can do some really cool stuff with it. You can download Maya for free from Autodesk if you promise not to make any money with it. :p

kodiak
12/17/2008, 04:02 PM
lol! You just need to get out more. Learning Maya not going to be easy but from what I understand it’s a lot easier then it used to be.

kodiak
12/17/2008, 04:21 PM
Getting out more is the problem! When I was working overtime I was either going to bed or getting out of bed or in the office. Overtime has been axed and I am strapped without overtime or side jobs. I am working on bringing in some side jobs - but between those and learning new software I won't be getting out much at all!

I hear ya.:( I usually have 3 maybe 4 big projects a year, I haven’t had a descent project since I went to Moab. I’ve mainly been surviving on doing support and upgrades on past database installations.

WormGod
12/18/2008, 09:38 AM
Maya is pretty solid IMO. Unfortunately, every 3d app I have ever used is good at one thing in particular that no other is. If I would take the best parts from each one and slap them into 1 package, the world could live in harmony. Until then, I am sticking with Studio Max. It's a love/hate relationship and I seem to be the only guy in the world who actually LIKES Biped in Character Studio (built in now of course).

kodiak
12/18/2008, 10:25 AM
lol, Biped! You must be the only one on this board that knows what A113 means then.:p I was playing with 3ds back in my Amiga days. It’s tried and true.:thumbup:

Maya is pretty solid IMO. Unfortunately, every 3d app I have ever used is good at one thing in particular that no other is. If I would take the best parts from each one and slap them into 1 package, the world could live in harmony. Until then, I am sticking with Studio Max. It's a love/hate relationship and I seem to be the only guy in the world who actually LIKES Biped in Character Studio (built in now of course).

kodiak
03/11/2009, 01:44 PM
Ok, I’m finely getting back to working on my VR VX. All my free time for the past 2 months has been consumed by WormGods dam game.:rolleyes: The last thing I did was import my VX mesh in to Maya. I’ll post some pix latter.

tjh
03/11/2009, 06:22 PM
Oh no ! It's been a long time since I played with 3ds . Just might have to go spend some time with it . I took a 3ds class in Austin, TX Back when 3.1 was released. I still love that program . I was a acad rev. 14 fan at the time , 3ds made me for get all about Acad . OOh ! and then there was softimage, technical and pretty ...

Memories, huh .

WormGod
03/13/2009, 08:48 AM
I still only have Max4.2 at home. Just upgraded to Max2009 at work. The only thing that is the same is the bugs and poor reliability, heh.

Sadly, looks like CAT ( http://www.softimage.com/products/cat/ ) is being pushed to take over the field in place of Biped. GREAT rigging tool, but the animation system is HORRENDOUS, IMO. Needless to say, life at work has been painful with CAT. Totally not sold on it.

kodiak
03/13/2009, 11:21 AM
Sadly, looks like CAT ( http://www.softimage.com/products/cat/ ) is being pushed to take over the field in place of Biped. GREAT rigging tool, but the animation system is HORRENDOUS, IMO. Needless to say, life at work has been painful with CAT. Totally not sold on it.

I was wondering how good CAT was. They sure are marketing it like it’s the end all be all of animation.:rolleyes: