PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Beaver Run Dirt Days

VX1032
12/30/2008, 06:28 PM
Guys,

From my local forum in Pittsburgh I see that they are taking RSVP's now for the dirt days January 25th. Cost is $35 and $10 per passanger. I already RSVP'd.

c.huff@beaverun.com is the contact there.

Ryan Christiansen

etlsport
12/31/2008, 05:38 PM
hmmmmmmm oh how i would love to do this...

VX1032
01/01/2009, 04:03 PM
If you go on their forums over there they have a lot if pics. A good variety of terrain. Should be a good time.

etlsport
01/01/2009, 08:28 PM
I emailed them, got a bit more info, sounds like a really good time.. he said to expect snow/ice out there too which could make things interesting with stock tires.. but it looks like more than likely i will be going, gonna stay with a buddy in pittsburgh probably

PittVXr
01/01/2009, 08:46 PM
I'd love to join you guys, but my wife will be 8 1/2 months pregnant at the end of January. I'll be gearing up for the most hectic ride of my life...taking her to the hospital! Keep me posted on a spring run if there is one.

etlsport
01/05/2009, 11:46 AM
bump... would love to see a turnout of 4-5 VXs there.. maybe add PA/ pittsburgh area to the thread title to get more interest?

VX1032
01/05/2009, 02:17 PM
Glad to see you are gonna make it. I am really looking forward to trying out this place.

I put PGH in the title, but I guess that makes the assumption that people know PGH means Pittsburgh. I will see if I can edit it.

Gussie2000
01/09/2009, 07:08 PM
Ok,this looks to be good for me too eric.

If nothing keeps me back during that weekend i'll join you guys :)

VX1032
01/10/2009, 05:11 AM
Guys, I would assume you would be coming out on Saturday the 24th to come to this. If so, we should probably plan a dinner or get together or something that night.

etlsport
01/10/2009, 06:34 AM
sounds good to me.. my plan is to drive out early on saturday morning and crash with a buddy in pittsburgh saturday night.. i would be up for anything saturday after about noon

etlsport
01/19/2009, 02:19 PM
bump.. im not familiar at all with the area, but i would be up for a dinner or whatever the saturday before... any locals want to stop in too even if you wont be attending dirt days?

PittVXr
01/19/2009, 03:07 PM
Dinner sounds good for Saturday Night.

VX1032
01/19/2009, 03:50 PM
I'm south of the city, PittVX where are you? Etlsport where does your friend live around the city?

Looks like it will be an interesting trip this weekend. Pics by the track show about 8 inches of snow on the ground.

etlsport
01/19/2009, 04:36 PM
hes on campus at U of Pitt

haha yea.. hopefully my stock duelers will be ok ;oor;

VX1032
01/19/2009, 06:09 PM
We could do dinner at the waterfront at rock bottom

PittVXr
01/19/2009, 07:13 PM
:_beer: Sounds good to me. I'm over in Squirrel Hill.

etlsport
01/19/2009, 07:59 PM
sure.. tell me where to be and when and i shall be there

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/20/2009, 01:05 AM
-----bump---------- ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30320736@N04/sets/72157608188747722/show/

etlsport
01/20/2009, 04:33 AM
-----bump---------- ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30320736@N04/sets/72157608188747722/show/

this mean you will be joining us?

VX1032
01/20/2009, 05:37 PM
Think how much fun that looks in a VX with Snow!

etlsport
01/21/2009, 08:51 AM
any ideas about what time we should get together for some dinner?

also, NJ, which trail will you be doing? im guessing something a bit rougher than my (stock) vx can handle?

you coming gussie?

VX1032
01/21/2009, 12:18 PM
Having never wheeled in the snow before, I will be sticking to the #1 trails. They run 1,2, and 3. So never being there and not know what to expect in the snow, i will prolly stay to the 1's. That said, they allow you to flop difficulties at lunch, and it seems like a lot of the harder stuff is right off of the easier trails, so you can just go run an obstacle instead of a bypass. That's the plan at least.

Dinner at 6:00 or 6:30?

We might want to get there a little early so we can at least park the VX's next to each other in the daylight so it looks neat, course there will be plenty of time for that on Sunday.

Also, Dave and Buster's is right across from Rock Bottom, so anyone can always hang there.

etlsport
01/21/2009, 07:53 PM
either works for me.. my plan is to get to pittsburgh around or before noon so ive got some time to explore the city a bit.. 6 or 630 both work fine.. i guess 6 would give us some more photo op in the parking lot though.. although from your gallery im pretty sure between our two VXs we could turn night into day

cool about running trail 1 at least for morning, that way we can probably get some cool shots for next years calendar

PittVXr
01/21/2009, 08:54 PM
6:00 sounds like a good time to meet for dinner at Rock Bottom. Etl, if you're looking for some "Authentic" Pittsburgh food, check out Primanti Bros. for lunch. There is one near Pitt's campus. I'm sure your friend knows where it is.

etlsport
01/22/2009, 09:50 AM
awesome.. looking forward to meeting you guys.. just in case my cell number is

three oh one six oh six four nine seven nine

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/22/2009, 09:29 PM
bump.. im not familiar at all with the area, but i would be up for a dinner or whatever the saturday before... any locals want to stop in too even if you wont be attending dirt days?

Hey guys...I gotta work night-turn Saturday night so dirt days is out for me this weekend but, I'd like to hook up with you guys on Saturday for din-din if you all don't mind?

etlsport
01/22/2009, 10:12 PM
too bad about having the late shift! but yea the more the merrier

VX1032
01/23/2009, 05:09 AM
Let me get a headcount, I will call Rock Bottom and put a reservation in.

I have 2.

Pittvx
Etlsport
JollyRogerVX

How many do you have each?

etlsport
01/23/2009, 05:58 AM
itll be me and one friend (hes only 20 if that matters)

PittVXr
01/23/2009, 04:48 PM
I'll be coming solo. Did we decide on a time? I was thinking maybe trying to meet up while there is still some daylight outside so I can check out all of your modded VX's and make a mental "Shopping List"!:bwgy:

VX1032
01/23/2009, 05:19 PM
Time is set for 6. I am sure I will be a little early though.

I will call in the morning and get let them know to expect us.

eight-five-six-nine-oh-six-seven-three-three-four

etlsport
01/23/2009, 07:20 PM
pitt, ill be getting into the city earlier if u want to give me a call and we can try to get together while there is some daylight i really havent planned what im doing other than dinner, im just kind of playing the rest of the day by ear

saturday morning.. im headed out now... see ya tonight guys!

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/24/2009, 08:04 AM
I'll be there solo! See ya later guys!

VX1032
01/24/2009, 09:15 AM
Can't make a reservation at Rock Bottom. They said we can do call ahead seating but they are booked for their reservation allotment from 5 to 8.

I will call when I am leaving here. I will do it under my name, and when we all show up we can decide if that will work or if we want to go to the one of the other resturants around there.

Got the VX outta the garage today, first time since October. It felt so nice to drive again.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/25/2009, 09:05 AM
I had a great time @ The Rock Bottom dining & sucking down brewskies with all of you great VX'ers!

Anxiously awaiting any pics from your offroading venture @ Beaver Run Dirt Days!

**Oh yeah..sigh..:o...on a final note, I got my lightbar working @ noon in like 2 minutes by disconnecting the same connector (Radio Shack) I fuddled with last night only to see (daylight helps :eek:..lol) one of the male connectors was misaligned (shoved back into plastic)...must have happened the last time I removed/reinstalled lightbar & didn't power it up to check.

Just a reminder..whether you're going on a post-apocalyptic expedition to kill zombies or to the mall parking lot to impress your friends with mods...always check your equipment :rolleyes:.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/2008_Moab_Utah_pics2.jpg

etlsport
01/25/2009, 09:18 AM
one from the trail!.. we are sitting waitin gfor an f150 that is stuck...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/SNC00050.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12840)

PittVXr
01/25/2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, it was nice to meet you guys last night. I hope we can make this a semi regular meet up. Looks like the snow was fun to wheel in. Time to start saving for a lift kit and new tires!

etlsport
01/25/2009, 08:14 PM
well I just got home a lil while ago.. overall a pretty good (although long) trip.. 665 miles in just over 36 hours..

it was great meeting everyone, dinner was a good time and i never get tired of seeing a lineup of VXs.. very cool to see some everyones mods

as for dirt days.. i wound up taking off at lunch because the snow was just too much for my stock duelers.. did ok for the most part but had to get winched/strapped up two of the bigger/steeper hill climbs, although there was a stock jeep there w/ firestone a/ts and a a huge F150 extended bed/cab on some giant tires that had issues so i didnt feel quite so bad

a trip back out there in the spring/summer would be much more fun, the trails seemed nice, the views are nice, and the crowd is awesome, they were very very supportive and helpful, the orgainzer chris was really enthusiastic about the VX and said he would love to get a group of us out there for a guided run (and said he would probably be able to cut us a deal on it) so thats something to keep in mind

the drive back from the park was interesting though.. my entire undercarriage was frozen, including the insides of the wheels, so my vx was shaking so hard my teeth were chattering.. pulled over and took a rubber mallet to the wheels and broke a bunch of the ice/mud out as much as i could.. it helped but couldnt get everything so i couldnt break 55

once back in pittsburgh, i paid to park in an underground garage since it was snowing really hard and really cold out.. took the wheels off.. spent 15-20 minutes knocking chunks of ice and mud out and then let it sit for 3-4 hours in the 60 degree garage.. that took care of the problems

coming back east from pittsburgh i threw a P1404 check engine light twice (cleared it each time, came back after an hour the first time.. hasnt come back after the 2nd time) so we'll see

ill post up what few pics i have a little later

Gussie2000
01/25/2009, 09:02 PM
Had to be a great experience.

I'm really sorry i wasn't able to make it this time :(

Drove to Ct for a birth day party which i didn't remember 'till my sis called me friday night.

However guys please keep me posted for any upcoming event.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/18/2009, 02:45 AM
from the Toyota FJ forums:

"Matt, good pics. i would have liked to have been there to see how the VehiCross did, i always have liked how those look. never seen one off road though, my complements to who ever that is i like it!"

"Scotty, the built up Vehicross did pretty well. There was another one with summer tires that had to be helped out quite a bit. I hope they come back again. I would like to see them run on a day that isn't so crazy."

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/mattpolantz/BeaveRun%201%2025%2009/

VX1032
02/18/2009, 01:50 PM
HA, nice. I saw those pics earlier. The one of mine from the front quarter is now my background, really nice pic.

I want to go back out to, but not when it was so cold. Kathryn didn't even want to get out and take pictures or look at anything.

We will have to make another trip later this year.

etlsport
02/18/2009, 05:46 PM
yea i was super frustrated with my tires... i would definitely up for going back in april-mayish possibly over summer

also was thinking it would be awesome to have a guided run through rausch creek.. they have lots and lots and lots of trails... and very nice guides... good photo ops in their staging area too... hopefully we can get lots of interest in something like that

VX1032
02/19/2009, 06:05 PM
there is a run in rousch creek being planned on the planet in april, and there are members that live nearby that would like to go to. I wouldn't mind going either, but with Uwharrie in April, it will be a summer thing prolly.