PDA

View Full Version : If you decided to retire your VX....

ScottinMA
12/31/2008, 01:48 PM
What vehicle would you be interested in to replace your beloved your VX? I know someday we'll face this situation and I found myself pondering the options today. Looked at Honda, Toyota and Subaru offerings and didn't see anything that got me excited like my VX. So I thought I would ask the family what options you may entertain if ya strayed?? Must have AWD or 4WD and an off-roader.

deermagnet
12/31/2008, 02:25 PM
I plan on having my VX as my daily driver for many more years. I'll never willingly give up the VX experience, the life. If it were stolen or wrecked I would get the vehicle I traded to get my VX. A Dodge Ram 4X4 pick-up, regular cab, short bed.

There is no other street legal vehicle that can give me that king-of-the-road feeling like a Dodge Ram. To be behind the wheel of that truck was simply awesome. It was amazingly comfortable, so quiet, so powerful, so smooth riding, so gorgeous inside and out. My dad used to say it was like a Cadillac. The steering had such a fantastic feel to it. Just making a simple turn at a street corner was a pleasure. That was back in the day, circa '96. I can't even imagine how nice the new ones are now.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx/ram.gif
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx/raminter.gif

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

VCrossfan
12/31/2008, 03:03 PM
Well my daughter turns 14 next month so she might slide into the drivers seat of the VX, and I would most likely go with a QuadCab Full Size Chevy or an Toyota FJ Crusier. By the next 2 years I should be able to get a good deal on a 07 FJ... But the smartest bet would be the Chevy, it will hold it's value longer...

Solitude
12/31/2008, 03:10 PM
Well the 09 Ram 1500 has a coil over suspension like the VX. (1st year for it) good choice, I'm leaning toward the H3 or the FJ. but not eagerly looking forward to a new payment. so the economy is gonna have to turn around..

on a side note, a 70 3/4 ton 4wd GMC wouldnt be bad

Mark B
12/31/2008, 03:34 PM
I love the 2 door sports utility vehicle and love the Isuzu Amigo, Rodeo Sport and VX. Unfortunately, I do not see anyone making a 2 door SUV.
I might do a 180. I have always wanted a 1970 or 1971 Plymouth Baracuda
426 Hemi, lime green convertible. I would have to hit the lottery for that car.

ScottinMA
12/31/2008, 06:29 PM
In staying with the issue of an off-road vehicle....the one option that appears of interest is a Toyota Tacoma 4X4. But so far that's the only one that hits my fancy yet pales relative to the fondness I have towards the VX

SilverBullet75
12/31/2008, 06:51 PM
I've been toying around with the idea of selling the VX due to our new baby. (Pull in the reigns 99VC... not decided.. YET... LOL) Need a 4 door, but want 4x4 ability too. My philosophy is, if I'm going to get rid of the VX, the next vehicle better have more power. My wife has an 05 Grand Cherokee Laredo/4x4 V8. We both love it. So, I'm considering a Grand Cherokee Limited/Hemi. Thought about the FJ Cruiser, but the power just isn't enough of a difference from the VX, and it's not a "true" 4 door. My second thought is the Trail Blazer SS 4wd. It has the cool factor (all black), Corvette power, same if not better economy, and is easy to get parts for.

Gussie2000
12/31/2008, 06:56 PM
To be honest the vehicules i'll give up my VX for is the grand cherokee SRT8 or tahoe Z71

In the luxury side the ACURA RDX,INFINITI FX35 & BMW X5.

I always loved the two doors SUV's if a find a tahoe or yukon 2 doors with decent mileage & pristine conds i'll make a deal.

CrnCnn
12/31/2008, 07:15 PM
If they still are making the murnano then I will likely get that or a Jeep Wrangler.

I havent seen any muranos beefed up though. There is a White oe in my complex that looks nice.

Does anyone feel dirty thinking about this?

Doomer
12/31/2008, 10:20 PM
NOTHING! I suppose if I really had to, it would be the Toyota FJ or an Infiniti FX35, or better yet, a Series III/IV Range Rover Defender. Wouldn't be as much fun though.
Robert

etlsport
01/01/2009, 06:37 AM
id probably go for the Volvo XC90.. I dont know much about their offroad capabilities.. but WOW will they move and handle! a buddy of mine and i were in his subaru legacy (non turbo) down some back roads he had known all his life and we were having trouble keeping up with this thing through the turns!

TheGanzman
01/01/2009, 12:14 PM
Since I don't own a VX (yet!), I'll put a little different spin on this "query". I've owned a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport, and most recently a '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Had no problems with either one, but I'm ready for a change. Can't BRING myself to buy something new; just don't wanna plunk down that kinda cake, and I don't finance a vehicle anymore. If I can't afford it straight away, I don't buy it! I've got a nice VX "lined up", but there's a REALLY nice Rodeo Sport Hardtop closeby that's tempting me for almost half the $; prolly makes more "practical sense" for my needs too. If I was gonna go "upscale", it'd prolly be a used Acura MDX or possibly a newer RDX - the VX is a CLEAR winner in the "cool" category, though...

kodiak
01/01/2009, 01:02 PM
All I know is there’s only one machine that has everything I like in a car, and it’s already in my driveway. Everything else seems like a downgrade to me. The Grand Cherokee SRT8 would be perfect if it handled better and it had two doors. I’ve driven the Volvo XC90 it feels like you’re driving a big family car it just doesn’t feel sporty at all and forget about taking it off road. The FJ is my kind of ugly, but the on road performers and the gun turret view out the windshield is a little hard to get past. The H3 isn’t bad but it still has the limited on road preferments and it looks too much like an H2 witch I can’t stand.

Riff Raff
01/01/2009, 01:37 PM
Hmmm. Pretty Easy. A 1997 Land Rover DEFENDER-90, period. I used to own a 1997 Defender limited edition #127/300, but sold it in order to put a very substantial down payment on a house. The 1997 was the last model year they were imported into the U.S., because LR didn't want to upgrade the vehicle to the upcoming mandatory U.S. "Air Bag" requirement (1998 and newer).

I've owned a prestine '78 FJ-40 since 1980; and would never sell it, but the LR Defender-90 is every bit as tough with go anywhere capabilities. People who own VX's are huge fans of 2-door SUV's (me, too), and the Defender-90 falls perfectly within that catagory. The Defender-90 is not as "swift & agile" as the VX, but is a very impressive 2-door "go anywhere" SUV.

The only two(2) things I didn't like about the Defender-90 was the left shoulder/elbow room was very cramped and made driving the truck somewhat confining. The other bad thing is that it drinks gas like kool-aid. When the speedometer needle goes to the right; the gas gauge needle goes to the left, at the same time. Very thirsty.

kodiak
01/01/2009, 02:30 PM
I almost purchased a Defender 90. Very good machines and boy are they indestructible.:thumbup:

ScottinMA
01/01/2009, 03:00 PM
I began pursuing the Toyota Tacoma option on eBay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-SR5-04-SR5-4X4-LEATHER-FABTECH-LIFT-SUPERCHARG-SUPER-CHERRY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3 Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ hashZitem190276391810QQitemZ190276391810QQptZUSQ5f CarsQ5fTrucks#ht_5565wt_1254

also looked at the Mazda and Infiniti crossovers. There just isn't anything out there that I've seen that I like more or, for that matter, equally than my VX. But I did like this Tacoma. Too bad is on the opposite side of the country for me.

Gussie2000
01/01/2009, 03:36 PM
All I know is there’s only one machine that has everything I like in a car, and it’s already in my driveway. Everything else seems like a downgrade to me. The Grand Cherokee SRT8 would be perfect if it handled better and it had two doors. I’ve driven the Volvo XC90 it feels like you’re driving a big family car it just doesn’t feel sporty at all and forget about taking it off road. The FJ is my kind of ugly, but the on road performers and the gun turret view out the windshield is a little hard to get past. The H3 isn’t bad but it still has the limited on road preferments and it looks too much like an H2 witch I can’t stand.

Oh yes,those SRT8 looks very nice though,honestly i don't trust chrysler products at all, before i decided to have the VX i was up for the liberty renegade trail rated edition with the rooflights,after days of research i found that liberty has a lot of recalls & factory flaws,but i'll give it a try with the SRT8 probably in three years from now.

kodiak
01/01/2009, 03:59 PM
I hear ya! Vehicles like the Liberty and Nitro from Chrysler and the HHR from GM are designed to be inexpensive and it shows.:rolleyes:

Oh yes,those SRT8 looks very nice though,honestly i don't trust chrysler products at all, before i decided to have the VX i was up for the liberty renegade trail rated edition with the rooflights,after days of research i found that liberty has a lot of recalls & factory flaws,but i'll give it a try with the SRT8 probably in three years from now.

pbkid
01/01/2009, 04:07 PM
well, im not planning on getting rid of my VX any time soon....
i have been looking at buying another car in about a year....

however, for me, i dont need 4x4 because im gonna have the VX so ive been looking at mazdaspeed3, mazdaspeed6, WRX STI, toyota supra, tacoma or F-250

etlsport
01/01/2009, 08:27 PM
my buddy has an 06 toyota tacoma Xrunner.. its more sport car than truck.. but wow it looks sexy and is QUICK! and of course i love the 6sp manual

Triathlete
01/11/2009, 07:59 PM
I would trade mine in real quick for THIS (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9246403#post9246403)...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=414088&stc=1&d=1231556616

CrnCnn
01/11/2009, 08:10 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/jeep001.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Brute.jpg

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/11/2009, 08:24 PM
In another thread, I pretty much stated I was checking out the H3 Championship Edition Alpha (V8). I'm not a 4-door kind of guy...but...as far as new goes this is my top pick. It has full-frame, lockers front and rear, 33" tires already on it and a V8 ready for mods! If they ever make the HX 2-door concept for production...that will most likely be my top pick!

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in either 2 or 4 door is my current-2nd pick....although an even weaker V6 than I have now doesn't bode well for me. 3rd- New Dodge Ram Hemi 4X4 1500 reg. cab.

I was checking out the Trailblazer SS but it doesn't light my fire. The Jeep SRT8's are very fast at the local track but no off-road abilitites. Grand Cherokee...been there done that! :rolleyes: Mazda CX-7...interior is like a rental car w/ loads of cheap plastic.

You are right about the Tacoma's though...I've seen stock ones with the TRD offroad package (lockers) run the mud pit at a 4X4 Jamboree and perform extremely well against Jeeps & even modified vehicles. 2 yrs back to back Tacoma's took the stock division. Tons of aftermarket support and choice of manual or auto.

wekilled
01/11/2009, 09:44 PM
Ditto, don't plan on getting rid of my VX any time soon. It certainly has its quirks and isn't great on gas, but I waffle between liking sports cars and 4x4s depending on my mood and ADD levels, so the VX is what I need to keep me interested at all times.

Possible (hypothetical) replacements:

DeLorean (gun-blue it and install black lights in the dash)
Chrysler Prowler (bad reviews, but I am still intrigued)
FJ

Maverick
01/12/2009, 07:41 AM
hi all, haven't been on here in quite awhile, but this thread caught my eye since i am seriously considering parting with my vx and buying a class b rv/van. my vx now has 172k plus on it, but is running like new (mobile one since 54k) and literally all highway miles (i commute 110 mile a day!) besides a few chips and one ding, still looks like an under 50k truck! even so, i have no idea what she would be worth in the used car market. for the past year ive only driven her on long trips as i bough a pos honda to commute with when gas prices went through the roof. but now with four dogs, a girlfriend, a kayak, and two race cars to tow around (one at a time of course) Im really feeling the need for a camper van..though the thought of not having my vx is a painfull one...

WormGod
01/12/2009, 07:49 AM
The day the VX retires, I will be driving this....

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10983440/Sarkofagus_Lux_Coffin.jpg

nfpgasmask
01/12/2009, 08:53 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/jeep001.jpg

Damn son, that has got to be the sickest Jeep I have ever seen. Some serious bucks in that bad boy!

I've thought a lot about this issue as well. I have been thinking of retiring my VX (not selling it, but actually retiring it) and basically doing a body restoration on it. I am starting the hunt for new replacement parts that I will need to make my VX look brand new, and eventually I would like to get the body all fixed (dents, scratches, etc), replace the headlights and hood insert, and possibly the windsheild. Get my tinting redone and clean up all the miscellaneous stuff that looks rough, and then keep her all clean and pretty going forward, driving her a lot less.

As for replacments, I will probably end up buying an old Trooper and modding the bajezus out of it and using that as a full time wheeler. I just can't justify buying another petrol based vehicle unless it is used and cheap. Otherwise, I will be waiting for the next big thing to happen....which could be a while.

Bart

Brian Drinks
01/12/2009, 10:18 AM
:_steeringMe myself i would go with the nissan.

pbkid
01/12/2009, 11:13 AM
The day the VX retires, I will be driving this....

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10983440/Sarkofagus_Lux_Coffin.jpg

NICE, i love it!!!!

i've been looking into retiring my VX too...not selling but retiring...good way to put it bart.... although i would rather wait until i can afford to change everything on my VX to toyota.... then do some serious offroad mods....

VX KAT
01/12/2009, 10:39 PM
Just got my VX, can't even think of what to drive "after" this! I love it. We've been very fortunate and have had many really great rides over the past years......a '95 Jeep Wrangler (uncivilized); Had a '97 Defender 90 for 5 years(awesome). '03 BLACK BMW X5 with the pavement burnin' 4.6 iS engine, AWD (only about 1000 per year) -Ultimate Awesome. ....nfpgasmask..I think of my Black Beauty every time I see your signature phrase! :winko:.

Hubby got '07 FJ Cruiser in bright screamin' yellow. After we moved to small town in Northern Arizona last year I traded Bimmer for '08 white 4Runner as black SUV with 12" wide ultra high performance tires on dirt road just wasn't workin'....but 4Runner (with Urban Runner special edition trim package) was "nice" but just too plain vanilla for me....I missed my Bimmer in a big way...biggest mistake I've made was trading that in. I love the SRT8 Cherokee but it really wasn't any different than the BMW in this rural setting.

Saw a Proton yellow in a supermarket parking lot in early Dec and it hit me! That was it! I have a hard time getting into higher vehicles & the VX was 2" lower than 4Runner & I can get in pretty easily. Found my VX in Virginia, had it transported to AZ. Got FJ lifted 3" last year and it's great. I just have to use a small stool to get in, no biggie. (My legs aren't normal).

We're hitting an off road trail on Thursday...He'll be in the FJ with little sister VX behind him. :bgwp: Want to check out the VX's off road credentials for the first time. Help me decide on the shocks issue too.

So now my VX passion is all consuming. I've just started to get the questions..."What is that?" and the thumbs up. I LOVE it.

If I lost it tomorrow, I think I'd.......just have to start looking for another one....since a Vanquish is just a wee bit out of my price range! Since I can't do much fixing and maintenance myself, I just have my fingers crossed I don't have too much trouble. This forum has been just unbelievably helpful in getting tips and guidance on how to keep my VX going for a very long time! Thanks to every one of you for your help! :thanx:

LittleBeast
01/12/2009, 11:24 PM
If I had to retire it, I would buy another VX.....

nfpgasmask
01/13/2009, 09:16 AM
nfpgasmask..I think of my Black Beauty every time I see your signature phrase! :winko:.

Yeah, well, I'm jealous cause you have a Foxfire. IMO, there is nothing cooler than a black VX, but a Foxfire is a close second for me. It's the rarest color too! And I have to say, I have taken a liking to the Protons, and I never thought I would, yeller just ain't my thing, but they just look so cool under the Moab sun...

Bart

tom4bren
01/13/2009, 10:38 AM
"And I have to say, I have taken a liking to the Protons, and I never thought I would, yeller just ain't my thing, but they just look so cool under the Moab sun..."

Admit it Bart - it was mine that made you cross that fence.:)

nfpgasmask
01/13/2009, 11:15 AM
"And I have to say, I have taken a liking to the Protons, and I never thought I would, yeller just ain't my thing, but they just look so cool under the Moab sun..."

Admit it Bart - it was mine that made you cross that fence.:)

LOL, sorry man, but actually it was Biju's Proton that blew me away in Moab 2007. Not only was it a lifted Proton VX under the perfect Moab sun, but he put so much work into making that thing ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. He did so much beautification and his audio mod was simply top notch. I really have no idea how he parted with it. It was seeing his VX that actually planted the seed of one day restoring mine to as good as I can get it.

Bart

pbkid
01/13/2009, 11:44 AM
If I had to retire it, I would buy another VX.....

i've actually been thinking this considering the cost of the VX lately...

been thinking about getting ahold of an ironman for the "girlfriend to drive when weather is bad" thing lol....

keep the ironman stock and prestine and completely transform mine into what i want...

go to town with flat black on it and get the calmini lift with 3" body from indy4x....then put some 35's on it with stric9 front, rear, and sliders...have someone build me a kenny skid plate and then finish it off with lockers....

nfpgasmask
01/13/2009, 12:01 PM
i've actually been thinking this considering the cost of the VX lately...

You know, I was originally thinking a 2nd VX as well. But what got me thinking about an old Trooper, is that I really want something that can fit at least 4 people, so when I have family or friends come out there are no space problems, and I would also like something that I can slide into a tree on a trail, and just shrug off. I won't be able to swallow serious damage if it is a VX. Plus, with an old Trooper, I can go to town with flat desert khaki spray paint, carve out the wheel wells for big rubber, maybe chop the top and make a tube frame with a rag top, take the doors off, you know, really give my neighbors something to complain about. :smilegray

EDIT: Plus, an old Trooper can be had for under $3000 in good working order!

Bart

pbkid
01/13/2009, 12:44 PM
ya, thats interesting viewpoint for sure...i can see where you are coming from on that...

the 4 door thing isnt an issue for me because my gf has a 4 door corolla (it is actually bigger than you think on the inside, im 6'2" 215 and i fit with no problem)

she REALLY wants a VX (although she wants to paint it pink) and im thinking it could be fun to have a collectors VX and an offroad VX...

the banging it up thing i can agree with though...i would hate to have my VX all banged up...but if it was offroad oriented and painted flat black...eventually i would just make an exo-skeleton on it to keep the glass in one peice (as much as possible)....

i dunno, im just getting to the point where its like, either i sell it now and get what i can out of it or i just make it into what i want.....

nfpgasmask
01/13/2009, 01:00 PM
i dunno, im just getting to the point where its like, either i sell it now and get what i can out of it or i just make it into what i want.....

Well, there are enough VXes out there that it wouldn't be so bad to have one to bash around in. Hell, my VX is loaded with tree scratches, dents, rock chips, etc. So, I haven't exactly been too careful offroad as it is. I just really want something that I REALLY don't care about.

Bart

pbkid
01/13/2009, 02:48 PM
ya, thats why im thinking of getting another to keep presitine...that way i dont have to cry if it does get a big dent or scratch...

TheGanzman
01/13/2009, 02:53 PM
ya, thats why im thinking of getting another to keep presitine...that way i dont have to cry if it does get a big dent or scratch...

"Collect them all - trade with your friends!":bwgr:

pbkid
01/13/2009, 02:57 PM
"Collect them all - trade with your friends!":bwgr:

lol, there ya go...

once bart, dub, billy and i dive in completely then we can just trade around ;)

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/21/2009, 11:34 PM
Just thought this was a pretty cool build on an FJ...this seemed as good a place as any to post the link:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/39068-raptor-shadow-warrior-s-build.html

crotchrocket
01/22/2009, 01:53 AM
Well my daughter turns 14 next month so she might slide into the drivers seat of the VX, and I would most likely go with a QuadCab Full Size Chevy or an Toyota FJ Crusier. By the next 2 years I should be able to get a good deal on a 07 FJ... But the smartest bet would be the Chevy, it will hold it's value longer...

]

Sorry, you can drive at 14 ??

You can't even get a provisional licence until 17 here and they are going to raise that to 18 soon!!!