PDA

View Full Version : 2 Opinions needed: 1) AIR FILTER-OEM, K&N.etc 2) SHOCKS

VX KAT
01/08/2009, 11:03 PM
Now I'm in a quandry on 2 ISSUES- Air Filter; Shocks

1) which air filter to put in. I've researched it on the forum. Mine came with a dirty OEM. I've read in some posts that the oiled type K&N etc can foul the MAF sensor. Others say it doesn't. I'm not really in need of "performance" or more "speed", my highest priority is to drive it, have fun & not have anything break down for as long as possible.

2) My other priority would be to change the OEM shocks because I can't honestly believe they're doing much/anything. When I drive on our dirt road it rattles SOOO LOUD and ROUGH & I can hear things wiggling & jiggling (like the back door). It has MINIMAL shock/damping effect when it hits a small rut or hole & slams really hard into potholes, even at less than 15-20 mph. It's got to mess up my alignment.
I know VX rides rough, but does that sound normal in any way? We have 2 other 4WD (an '07 FJ Crusier with Old Man Emu & Skyjacker, & '08 4Runner Urban Runner package with Xreas suspension....so I know what it's like to drive on rough off road trails ).
I've read on this forum options for OEM like rebuilding them, recharging the nitrogen.

Can you shoot me some opinions? Thx.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/08/2009, 11:24 PM
Now I'm in a quandry on 2 ISSUES- Air Filter; Shocks

1) which air filter to put in. I've researched it on the forum. Mine came with a dirty OEM. I've read in some posts that the oiled type K&N etc can foul the MAF sensor. Others say it doesn't. I'm not really in need of "performance" or more "speed", my highest priority is to drive it, have fun & not have anything break down for as long as possible.

2) My other priority would be to change the OEM shocks because I can't honestly believe they're doing much/anything. When I drive on our dirt road it rattles SOOO LOUD and ROUGH & I can hear things wiggling & jiggling (like the back door). It has MINIMAL shock/damping effect when it hits a small rut or hole & slams really hard into potholes, even at less than 15-20 mph. It's got to mess up my alignment.
I know VX rides rough, but does that sound normal in any way? We have 2 other 4WD (an '07 FJ Crusier with Old Man Emu & Skyjacker, & '08 4Runner Urban Runner package with Xreas suspension....so I know what it's like to drive on rough off road trails ).
I've read on this forum options for OEM like rebuilding them, recharging the nitrogen.

Can you shoot me some opinions? Thx.

1) direct fit replacement filter from Advance or Autozone or O.E.M. from dealer if that is desired.

2)these things ride rough when right...when stopping hard, does the front-end act like a pogo-stick? Mine did when the front shocks were blown. From underneath VX, do any of the shocks show signs of leakage? Do the rear shocks on a rough road take any extra bouncing than the front shocks or do they all seem to bounce the same? (my rear shocks take an extra bounce more than front telling me they could use replacement).

I have the benefit of being an original owner so I know how they felt when new which makes it easier for me to tell when mine need replacing.

If you don't wish to go with O.E.M. shocks (about $400 each) or rebuild/recharge...search 'bilstein' and order these if your an on-road gal...search 'rancho' or 'OME' if you'd prefer off-road ability and please do check out Independent4X.com and click shocks for VX.

Hope this helps!

BigSwede
01/09/2009, 08:08 AM
Read this before you get a K&N...

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

VX crazy
01/09/2009, 08:39 AM

Green filter is the way to go!!

deermagnet
01/09/2009, 08:55 AM
Even when new the ride was harsh with the stock shocks. I could push down hard on one front corner and it wouldn't move a mm. Go out and try that on yours. If it moves very much at all, the stock shocks are shot. Knowing what I know now, I woulda replaced those shocks within three days of buying my VX new and buried 'em deep underground. After performing an exorcism first, of course, so they couldn't haunt me anymore. I hated those things.

Mark

VX KAT
01/09/2009, 10:17 PM
Even when new the ride was harsh with the stock shocks. I could push down hard on one front corner and it wouldn't move a mm. Go out and try that on yours. If it moves very much at all, the stock shocks are shot. Knowing what I know now, I woulda replaced those shocks within three days of buying my VX new and buried 'em deep underground. After performing an exorcism first, of course, so they couldn't haunt me anymore. I hated those things.

Mark

I think I'd like to bury my OEMs too! (No, I'll sell them here, I know most here love them).
Mine has 64k miles, no leaks per mechanic.
Tires: 255/55/18 Falken Ziex S/TZ-04, 95% tread remaining, @32 psi.
"Push" test on front fender moves maybe 1/2", it's virtually solid.
Rear has maybe just a touch more movement.
I couldn't even call either a "bounce".
JollyRoger I'm an on-road AND off-road gal....and live on a dirt/rocky road. I plan on going off-road some, but not much....we use the lifted FJ with the OMEs for our off road adventures.

I looked at Independent4x.com. Don't really know where to start. What brand/model should I look at for a softer ride?
Any suggestions? HELP!! :_brickwal:

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/10/2009, 05:39 AM
I looked at Independent4x.com. Don't really know where to start. What brand/model should I look at for a softer ride?
Any suggestions? HELP!! :_brickwal:

My advice to you would be to go with the Rancho 9000XL shocks because:

1) They have adjustable settings to hone in on what you desire for ride. (Avoid getting the in-cab remote adjustment feature though...$$$ and many here commented on it not functioning correctly!). The Rancho 9000XL shocks displayed on Independent4X.com show the manual type adjustment "knob" on each shock that you hand-turn to adjust the shock ride.

I have the Rancho shocks, and like the adjustability. I mostly drive around with all 4 set at the max (9). I like the firm ride, and the VX wallows around too much when the shocks are set at the minimum (1). However, I do set them at 1 when people that don't like the "rough" ride are riding along. I have shocked a few people that the ride can change so much. I have not messed around with the middle settings too much, and did not get the remote controller option because of all the horror stories.

I am getting Cece a set of the Bilstein H1 shocks for Christmas, so I will be able to compare them against my Ranchos.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14596&highlight=rancho

2) They offer the added off-road ability you said you want. As far as on-road ability.......I had to work my "butt" off to keep up with NocturnalVX in Denver with him running Rancho's and me running O.E.M. :eek:

The only other shock I can think you might like would be the Old Man Emu...but, I've only read one other person that used them here and this is what he had to say:

I replaced the stock shocks with OMEs and I'm very pleased. I have a ride that feels more controlled. It doesn't seem to skip when I hit a bump while cornering. It's also a lot harder to break a tire loose in the back when accelerating around a corner. The downside is that there is a little bit more body roll, but given the better feel when I hit the bumps, I'm happy to have made that trade-off.

-Tad

Hope this helps!

Ldub
01/10/2009, 08:41 AM

That's an interesting/informative read, THANKS Swede...:thumbup: