PDA

View Full Version : Dash lights go ON then they go OFF...

ironman99
01/09/2009, 02:02 PM
I don't know weather to be happy or further concerned...

I haven't driven my VX for over 6 months (due to a lovely trip to Iraq), and I come back to my engine light, my ABS, and my Brake dash lights being on.

I get the Check Engine light checked out and it just turns out to be some oxygen sensor codes, which is no biggie I figure, It is probably just a bad batch of gas.
The ABS light I figured I could live with, my last 4 cars didn't have ABS either (working abs at least).
And the brake light is on just in the morning when it is cold, so I figure that is just the brake fluid being lowish.

Sure enough, I run the tank low, fill her back up with the premium gas and the Check Engine light turns off. Score! I buy some DOT3 for the power brakes and that light no longer bothers me. 2! And there is still the ABS light...
So I was out getting my weekly 4x4ing in (my VX demands it) and a deer jumps out in front of me on a dirt trail, so I hit the brakes and feel the ABS kick in for some reason, sure enough the ABS light is off again. Score another one for the VX!

Yeah so this is just more of a praise for my VX, all of my Dash lights seem to just work them selves out. :smilewink

My questions for the community however are this:

Should I still look into getting my oxygen sensors replaced? (perhaps it will improve my ****ty gas mileage that never goes above 15.6)

Do I need to have a further inspection done on the braking system to make sure there isn't more problems that could be lurking?

And why would my ABS light be on for a while, until I actually need the ABS and then it kicks in the nick of time to save my ***(or the Deer's rather)?

Ldub
01/09/2009, 02:08 PM
If all the lights are out, I'd leave well enough alone.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was originally thought up for situations such as yours...:smilewink

etlsport
01/09/2009, 02:23 PM
when my abs module failed it did it gradually.. abs light would come on.. then go back out the next day.. kept doing that until it was on more than it was off.. then it just stopped turning off til i replaced the module

some here think that working the abs will keep it from failing, so while it still functions, give it a good workout on some dirt or gravel roads (of course be safe about it!)

ive heard of the brake light coming on in cold weather due to the contact in the center console expanding/contracting or somethin like that.. maybe just condensation on the contacts from the cold weather because any time your windows fog up.. chances condensation happens on any metal surface inside the car until it warms up fully

check engine light i would guess is probably just caused by the gas sitting for 6 months in your lines.. if its out dont worry about it til it comes back