PDA

View Full Version : TX Offroading Megarun 2009 (3-7-09)

LittleBeast
01/22/2009, 09:29 AM
I was just wondering if any other VXer's out there would consider going to this event?

TX Offroading Megarun 2009
http://www.dfw-tx4wd.org/

Located in Gilmer, TX (2.5 hours east of Dallas)
3/6/09-3/8/09 (most activities on the 7th)
http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/

The 2009 Megarun will be held at Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area (BMRA in Gilmer, Texas on March 6th, 2009. This is the ninth year for Megarun and we expect to have a great event. Three vehicle classes (Mild, Wild, and Extreme) allows participants to wheel at their comfort level. You will be allowed to run events in your classification or lower. This allows for groups of friends to come to the event, run together, and have a good time. The event consists of four main stages. Saturday will start with an AM trail ride. Lunch time can be spent eating, running the optional Obstacle Course, the Rock Garden Rodeo, and fixing your rigs from the morning's fun. There will be a PM trail ride. At the end of the day, a meal will be served and we will hold the awards ceremony and raffle off some 4x4 gear.Sunday morning, bright and early, we will hold the King of the Hill challenge. This will be a winner-take-all, timed hill climb. The winner will go home with a unique trophy and bragging rights.

Schedule:

Friday 3-6-09
12:00AM - 10:00PM Registration, Safety Inspection, and RTI Scoring

Saturday 3-7-09
7:00AM - 8:00AM Registration, Safety Inspection, and RTI Scoring. CLOSED AT 8:00AM SHARP! NO EXCEPTIONS!
8:00AM - 8:30AM Mandatory Drivers Meeting NO EXCEPTIONS!
8:30AM - 11:30PM AM Trail Rides
11:30AM - 2:30PM Lunch (not provided), Rock Garden Rodeo, Obstacle Course
2:30PM - 5:30PM PM Trail Rides
5:30PM - 6:30PM Dinner (1 meal ticket included with registration, purchase add'l at checkout) REGISTRATION INCLUDES 1 MEAL TICKET. ADDITIONAL MEAL TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE.
6:30PM - Done Awards Ceremony & Raffle YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN RAFFLE PRIZES!

Sunday 3-8-09 8:30AM - Done King of the Hill Challenge (Timed Hill Climb Challenge) ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH. ONLY ONE PERSON WILL WALK AWAY AS KING OF THE HILL.

Events Description:

Rock Garden Rodeo The Rock Garden Rodeo brings back the rock garden from past Megarun's, but with a twist. The object is to see how far you can get in the time allotted. The rig that goes the farthest in the allotted time wins. Expect to see some carnage.

Obstacle Course The Obstacle Course challenges each driver to complete a series of obstacles. The course is designed to equalize the playing field: extremely built rigs will accel in some areas whereas stock rigs will accel in other areas. This is a timed challenge. Awards will be given to the top three winners among all participants.

RTI Ramp An RTI, or Ramp Travel Index, Ramp measures your suspension's flexibility. We will have an RTI ramp set up during the registration and safety inspection timeframe. Each participant will have an opportunity to ramp their vehicle up on the RTI ramp and determine their score. The RTI ramp will not be available after the event officially starts Saturday morning.

King of the Hill Sunday morning is time to settle old scores. A timed hill-climb challenge; the winner of this event will walk away with bragging rights and a trophy. This trail is a closely-kept secret. You may put your name in the hat to run this trail, and will be allowed to back out if you want, but we do not reveal the name of this trail until Sunday morning. It's time to put up or shut up!

Trail Rides Saturday will have an AM trail ride and a PM trail ride. There will be multiple trail leaders running groups through some seriously fun trails. We try to limit group sizes to make it more fun for each group. The different classes will experience trails suited to their difficulty.

Vehicle/Driver Classes:

Mild Open to all. Easy to Challenging 1 & 2 Rated Trails
For vehicles with open differentials. Stock vehicles. Four-wheel drive needed occasionally. Scenic ride with a few challenges thrown in. Obstacles may include sand, creek crossings, mud, loose rocks, and semi-steep hills and descents.

Wild Recommend having 31" tires or better,
at least one traction-aiding device, and a winch. Difficult/Technical 2, 3, or 4 Rated Trails
Trails include steep hills with loose rock, mud ledges, and off-camber situations. Vehicle damage possible.

Xtreme Recommend 35" tires or better, locking differentials front and rear, and a winch. Harder 4 & Insane 5 Rated Trails
Vehicle damage probable. Experienced drivers only. Most of these trails have steep hill climbs with loose rock and big ledges near the top.

Megarun participants may choose which class they wish to run with so long as they are suitably equipped to handle the challenges of that class.

Awards:
King of the Hill 1 Winner
Obstacle Course 1st, 2nd, 3rd (Combined Classes)
Rock Garden Rodeo Mild Class 1st Place
Wild Class 1st Place
Extreme Class 1st Place
People's Choice 1 (by ballot)
Carnage 1 (by event committee)

Scott Harness
01/22/2009, 09:40 AM
I've been to Barnswell several times.It's fun.
I getting a ring job or re-built motor sometime soon.Don't know if it will be finished and broken-in that soon.

Doomer
01/26/2009, 12:27 PM
Hmmm.....that looks like fun. I will have to check my schedule. I've been wondering about Barnwell. I think the "MudNationals" are in Jacksonville TX that same weekend may be the only conflict, not that my VX would be in that! I have some friends going and I offered to help out. Has anyone done the offroad facility out near Lipan TX? My VX is stock, so I can't get too hairy with it. El cheap-o Pep Boys street tires on it when I bought it, soon to be replaced. I'll check back....Robert

nfpgasmask
01/26/2009, 02:19 PM
I getting a ring job or re-built motor sometime soon.

Is your engine knocking, Scott?

Bart

CrnCnn
01/26/2009, 07:33 PM
And now a totally unrelated reply... I was just reminded cause you said 2.5 hrs east of Dallas....

I was in Tyler for a week back in June. I really liked it. Thought about moving there even.

tomdietrying
01/26/2009, 09:16 PM
CrnCnn,
What you were in the neighborhood and didn't give a shout? We'll let it go this time but next time..........................YOU BETTER CALL! jk :)
Peace.
Tom

CrnCnn
01/26/2009, 09:50 PM
CrnCnn,
What you were in the neighborhood and didn't give a shout? We'll let it go this time but next time..........................YOU BETTER CALL! jk :)
Peace.
Tom

Yeah I was there for work. Getting trained on a piece of test equipment.

Scott Harness
01/27/2009, 11:36 AM
Is your engine knocking, Scott?

Bart

No, it actually is fine. It just went from a quart every 1200 miles to a quart every 500 miles. Sooty tail pipe. I'm just afraid of trying to make it to Moab.
Dipstick smells like gasoline!!:eek:

nfpgasmask
01/27/2009, 11:40 AM
No, it actually is fine. It just went from a quart every 1200 miles to a quart every 500 miles. Sooty tail pipe. I'm just afraid of trying to make it to Moab.
Dipstick smells like gasoline!!:eek:

Maybe it's time for a new head gasket???

Bart

Scott Harness
01/27/2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe it's time for a new head gasket???

Bart

The people I talked to said they would look at it first and that it probably wouldn't cost near what I was thinking. They came highly recomended from a friend who has used them a lot. ps I'm saving my mud-terrains for you I've got two that are in great shape.I shredded one and one is worn out from not rotating properly. You run 265-75-16's don't you? The tire place is giving me a good deal on the new BFG mud-terrains

nfpgasmask
01/27/2009, 11:56 AM
The people I talked to said they would look at it first and that it probably wouldn't cost near what I was thinking. They came highly recomended from a friend who has used them a lot. ps I'm saving my mud-terrains for you I've got two that are in great shape.I shredded one and one is worn out from not rotating properly. You run 265-75-16's don't you? The tire place is giving me a good deal on the new BFG mud-terrains

That's good, I need to find a local mech here I can trust...and yes, I run 265-75-16 BFGs, but I have a full 5 tire set. What size of the new BFGs will you be getting? I tried to get them back in May and they told me that the new style only starts with 285s and up...:confused: I have a feeling it was a BS line because I also heard that BFG was not shipping any of the new style until all the old style stocks were used up.

Bart

Scott Harness
01/27/2009, 12:02 PM
That's good, I need to find a local mech here I can trust...and yes, I run 265-75-16 BFGs, but I have a full 5 tire set. What size of the new BFGs will you be getting? I tried to get them back in May and they told me that the new style only starts with 285s and up...:confused: I have a feeling it was a BS line because I also heard that BFG was not shipping any of the new style until all the old style stocks were used up.

Bart

Same size I "think". Maybe go bigger.Tire guy didn't say anything about not having 265-75-16's
It probably was BS,surely they would sell you anything to make a sale.

pbkid
02/13/2009, 11:45 PM
uh no offense to any of the new style BFG mud-terrain lovers...but i think they are boring looking...
they were almost the same price as the goodyear wranglers i got, but i just didnt like the look of the new mud terrains, more of a mall crawler look than offroad oriented...

granted, they are AMAZING tires...perform awesome! and they seem to get great ratings all around, i just dont personally like the way they look...then again i was looking at a picture unmounted, i didnt get a chance to see them on a vehicle...

Scott Harness
02/14/2009, 05:56 AM
I was looking at them at the tire store. Not as rugged looking as the the old ones. Way more street friendly though??? less noisy. I haven't read any reviews.

pbkid
02/14/2009, 10:42 AM
I was looking at them at the tire store. Not as rugged looking as the the old ones. Way more street friendly though??? less noisy. I haven't read any reviews.

ya, that would make it more worth it....if they were less noisy....i just LOVE the old ones...they are such a classic looking tire...

Scott Harness
02/14/2009, 11:25 AM
ya, that would make it more worth it....if they were less noisy....i just LOVE the old ones...they are such a classic looking tire...

x2