PDA

View Full Version : shift shaft seal replaced

VX KAT
01/27/2009, 10:55 PM
Was dripping a tiny bit of what I thought was oil, up near driver's side front. About 1 teaspoon every 3 days. Took it in to auth Isuzu place- leaking "shift shaft seal". say that 3 times fast! Told me it was transmission fluid leaking, not motor oil. Anybody else have this come up? :?: Is it common, how frequent, etc? 2001, 64k miles (no known service history). Thx!

Brian Drinks
01/28/2009, 09:54 AM
Hey check your power steering pump and hoes it could be comein from there i get the same drips and thats were mine drips from,yes your power steering pump use transmisson fluid.

Ascinder
01/28/2009, 10:19 AM
Where around the drivers side front is it coming out of. I think I might have a similar problem. I was spraying something from underneath my rig on the way to Moab last year, but had no real problems after that. I do have some seepage from where my engine and trans. connect, which sounds maybe like what you have going on.

VX KAT
01/28/2009, 09:23 PM
The drip was about 7" in from the inside edge of Left front tire, and then about 4" toward the back of the car.

lasturbo
01/29/2009, 09:40 AM
Hi VX Kat,
I had the same issue when I bought mine with 135k. I had pink fluid leaking from the trans.area so I was going to change all the fluids anyways including a full trans. service so I figured after I replaced both trans. gaskets, all would be good. Well it wasnt. I thought is was a faulty trans.pan aftermarket gasket so I changed to factory, no change. Finally pinpointed to to the shift shaft seal on the left side (driver's side) middle of trans on side. Took about 1 hour to replace it and the seal was cheap. Mine was failed due to brittle and aged. See my thread I started about this:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14273
Good luck! :smilegray

VX KAT
01/29/2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks Turbo, I had done a search on "shift shaft seal"...not "selector shaft seal" and didn't come up with your thread. Yeah, I too was really glad it was CHEAP! :clap: Was $106 with parts/labor out the door. I have no mechanical skills and have to rely on the auth Isuzu place, at least I'm lucky, they're close, only 20 miles.

lasturbo
01/29/2009, 05:21 PM
Cool !!!!
:bwgr: