PDA

View Full Version : Tranmission Upshifting / Down Shift SLAM

Ikkesh
01/28/2009, 11:22 AM
The Transmission Just this morning began to Slam HARD approaching a stop sign downshifting while in "D" Drive. and thereafter upshifting through every gear in "D" Drive and back down through the gears. :eek:

Idea's Solutions? :wtfb:

I see no Transmission Fluid leaks, Not realy sure what to do and if need be where do Do I get A Good Transmission to replace it at a good price? I Live in Juneau Alaska and Shipping is Barged from AML in Seattle

Any Help or ideas appreciated.
Chris

Ldub
01/28/2009, 11:27 AM
The Transmission Just this morning began to Slam HARD approaching a stop sign downshifting. and thereafter upshifting through every gear and back down through the gears. :eek:

Idea's Solutions? :wtfb:

I see no Transmission Fluid leaks, Not realy sure what to do and if need be where do Do I get A Good Transmission to replace it at a good price? I Live in Juneau Alaska and Shipping is Barged from AML in Seattle

Any Help or ideas appreciated.
Chris

Mode selector switch...do a search to see what I'm talking about...:smilewink

Ascinder
01/28/2009, 11:37 AM
Also, just check your trans fluid level, just because you cant see a leak, doesnt mean you're not low on fluid. If opening one bolt saved me buying a new transmission, I'd sure check it.

VehiGAZ
01/28/2009, 01:45 PM
This problem has popped up in several VX's as an tempeporary/intermittant problem - it may be gone the next time you start your VX. If not, refer to the mechanical solutions above.

Good luck!

nfpgasmask
01/28/2009, 01:57 PM
Yup, everyone is on the money. If I was in your shoes I would:

1) Check trans fluid level and color. If it is low or BLACK and smells like burnt cookies than you should

2) Do a full trans service. Change the tranny filter and replace fluid with a good synthetic ATF. If that does not fix the problem right away, than I would

3) Look into the Mode Switch as this has caused trouble for people in the past.

When I bought my VX, I experienced some very hard shifting. Shortly thereafter, I changed my tranny filter and put in Mobile-1 ATF. Problem fixed. There is a process for checking the fluid level properly, so be sure to search the forum for that info.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
01/28/2009, 03:41 PM
Even going hard through the gears, it is still nice to have the only VX in town, I am sure;)
I used to live in Glacier Bay, and made more than a few trips through Juneau. Always loved it there.
I am still in a small town, and have the same singular distinction (being the ONLY VX owner in town) as you. If it were not for the wisdom on this forum, I would not feel as comfortable as I do owning such a unique vehicle in a remote location. Just listen to the advice from those that have gone before us and I am confident you will have the problem solved much cheaper than you anticipate!
Best,

mdwyer
01/28/2009, 08:17 PM
The Transmission Just this morning began to Slam HARD approaching a stop sign downshifting while in "D" Drive. and thereafter upshifting through every gear in "D" Drive and back down through the gears.

I'll save you part of your search: Just see this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11834).

The transmission mode selection switch is a vaugly armadillo- or croissant-looking thing hanging off the side of the transmission. It tells the computer what gear you're in. However, the switch is located right beside an exhaust pipe. The heat eventually causes the switch to fail.

Aside from the SLAM, also look for the PRNDL indicators on the dashboard to get all freaked out for a few seconds and have the OBDII codes checked. When the switch fails, it sends random information to the computer. The computer decides to play it safe and assumes that you're in "D" after about 5 seconds, but sets the transmission really stiff, just to be safe. It records a P0705 error code, but doesn't turn on the check engine light.

See pages 7A-30 and 7A1-30 in the IV00_01.pdf file, available from Tone.

This is a common failure, and the part is pretty easy to find. It is part 8-96017-511-0 "SWITCH ASM; POSITION". The place I got mine called it a "Neutral Safety Switch", but it might also be a MODE SWITCH or TRANSMISSION RANGE SWITCH. It lists for $184 (Yikes!), but you shouldn't pay more than $120 for it. Or, I should say, if you pay much less than $120 for it, I'm going to feel really stupid. I wouldn't recommend used parts for this one.

Some people recommend some exhaust tape on the pipe near the switch to protect the new switch from heat. I haven't done that, yet... but I intend to!