PDA

View Full Version : A horn with a mind of its own

CrnCnn
02/02/2009, 04:38 PM
So I was headed down the freeway yesterday to go for a little hike and I hit a spot where the road is seperated and my horn goes off.

Thought nothing of it, my horn doesnt work usually unless I slam it anyway. Well today on my very short drive home it got stuck on. It wouldnt turn off until I punched the steering wheel. A total of three times it got stuck on while headed home, like I said its a VERY short drive.

Any way I pulled the fuse to keep t from happening again. I searched and found that Tone had stated that the relay could be sticking on a nother post.

Does anyone else have anythoughts? I am just hoping I dont have a exposed wire.

Ascinder
02/02/2009, 04:46 PM
Does anyone else have anythoughts?

Yes.

Well today on my very short drive home it got stuck on.

:rotate::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::rotate:

Just kidding man, if it's something we can temporarily just swap out of mine to troubleshoot(like the relay) let me know. We may be able to snag one out of the 'yard if they turn out to be expensive.

snowtrooper1966
02/02/2009, 06:33 PM
Dammit, Ascinder beat me 2 it;)

Ldub
02/02/2009, 08:38 PM
It wouldnt turn off until I punched the steering wheel. A total of three times it got stuck on while headed home, like I said its a VERY short drive.

Does anyone else have anythoughts? I am just hoping I dont have a exposed wire.

If :smack: the horn gizmo made it turn off, then...:_confused

VehiGAZ
02/03/2009, 08:13 AM
S I am just hoping I dont have a exposed wire.

Sounds like a wire is shorting or grounding out. Good luck!

This story cracks me up - because it happened in the movie Little Miss Sunshine to the family's VW van's squeaky little horn. Sooooo funny!!!

mdwyer
02/03/2009, 08:16 AM
It happened to me in my 1981 K-car... In that case, the horn wire fell off its tab and fell down inside the steering wheel, where it would honk every time the tab fell against a ground.

If you do end up pulling the steering wheel apart, PLEASE be careful of the air bag!!!

nfpgasmask
02/03/2009, 08:18 AM
Yes.
:rotate::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::rotate:

Just kidding man, if it's something we can temporarily just swap out of mine to troubleshoot(like the relay) let me know. We may be able to snag one out of the 'yard if they turn out to be expensive.

GOOD STUFF!

This story cracks me up - because it happened in the movie Little Miss Sunshine to the family's VW van's squeaky little horn. Sooooo funny!!!

Yeah, that movie is hilarious.

:) Bart

CrnCnn
02/03/2009, 08:31 AM
At least I didnt say I had to whack it to get it off... I tried to think ahead but I lost.

Ascinder
02/03/2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry Clint, the image of the horn getting stuck on and people looking over to see whats going on while you beat the hell out of it and probably yell at it a little too just cracks me up. It just makes me think: "HULK ANGRY":bgwg:

don moore
02/03/2009, 10:30 AM
if it does it again ..just start waving to eveyone and smile .....lol

VXIRONwoMAN
02/03/2009, 07:41 PM
It happened to me in my 1981 K-car... In that case, the horn wire fell off its tab and fell down inside the steering wheel, where it would honk every time the tab fell against a ground.

If you do end up pulling the steering wheel apart, PLEASE be careful of the air bag!!!

Worst case scenario... Me and Gill have an extra air bag. LOL. It was a parting gift from another fellow VXer. Don't know how he got it, but now we do. Just sayin'...