PDA

View Full Version : Assitance from you picture takers

Dumke
02/04/2009, 05:27 PM
OK so I went into circuit city (since they are going out of buisness).. So I goto the blueray movies and also go to check out the ps3 games. Well why not I though so I goto the camera len's to check them out.

Now I see a Nikkor 70-300 vr for 669.99 and a 55-200 vr for 299.99 Being that at this point and time they are 20% off I was wondering, hmmm which one.

I own a D80 and have the basic kit lens dx 15-135.

I shoot whatever catches my fancy, which at the moment is kids playing basketball and I like taking landscape pictures.. No at this time I am not that well at it yet but, practice makes perfect right? Plus in march hopefully I will be going to a basic class.

My question to you all is advice? or suggestions?

I know Bart you said in previous post 18-200 for all purpose and I know it depends on what I am shooting. Is this something I should just pass up or look into, and which one.

pbkid
02/04/2009, 07:21 PM
dont mean to thread jack but,

havent seen you in a while...good to see you stopping by :)

Dumke
02/04/2009, 07:32 PM
No worries man.. been in and out.. Just buisy with work and bummed about not doing moab this year and also my alaska trip is getting canceled due to funds. So ya I havent been on because i dont want to become depressed by looking at this site because I am not going. Yeah I even imagine when I drive my truck its a kia or something lol j/k.

But seriously been buisy with work and pc is last thing I want to look @ when I come home so I dont get on. However I am going to try and make a few meets this year and possibly even the camping one in AZ.. Closet to moab I can get lol.. So If that far why not Moab.. Well cv boots tore again :( and truck will be paid of this summer so concentrating on that. Also vac used up for other things. I am around tho my friend and well, so its moab '10 for me :) ... sorry its late not checking grammer or spelling and had another stupendous day at the office. Thank goodness my mess is over.

Edit: Oh and way to be a "THREAD JACKER" lol :p . Feel free to jack anytime. Just dont do my truck or me for that matter.. Unless your into that then may have to look away for a friend.. ok maybe not. wel... nm no...

Triathlete
02/04/2009, 09:48 PM
well one good jack deserves another...
I guess I'll have to put something special together for the Az. Fall camping trip this year! It would be great to see you down here.:cool:

pbkid
02/04/2009, 11:58 PM
well good to see you dumke.. i know how hard times affects us all...

im trying REALLY hard to get to moab this year, its kinda my vacation of the year....

it looks like i might be by myself... will probably go anyhow, this is my second fam as far as im concerned and ill do what i can too see em... even if i eat pb and j for the week...

anyhow, good to see that your still interested...sorry to thread jack again...

nfpgasmask
02/05/2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Robert, don't worry, you are not the only one who's gonna sit Moab '09 out.

Anyway, if I was you, I would go on Amazon.com and bhphotovideo.com and read the reviews for those lenses. I can tell you right now though, that Nikkor lenses with the VR are the way to go. I bought one Sigma lens for my D80 and I will never stray from the Nikkor lenses again. Basically, just read the reviews and decide which lens would be more usefull to you. Both leneses are probably going to be really nice and produce fine photos, it just depends on what you want to use them for.

We should create a new forum topic strictly for VX photography. :rolleyes:

Bart

mdwyer
02/05/2009, 01:37 PM
OK so I went into circuit city (since they are going out of buisness).. Well why not I though so I goto the camera len's to check them out.

Do your homework. The sales at liquidations are designed to LOOK like sales, but they very often aren't. here's some examples (http://consumerist.com/5137962/behold-another-investigation-concludes-that-circuit-citys-liquidation-sale-is-awful). So get a good idea of what the price SHOULD be before you walk in the doors and get taken by those neon 30% signs...

nfpgasmask
02/05/2009, 01:53 PM
Do your homework. The sales at liquidations are designed to LOOK like sales, but they very often aren't. here's some examples (http://consumerist.com/5137962/behold-another-investigation-concludes-that-circuit-citys-liquidation-sale-is-awful). So get a good idea of what the price SHOULD be before you walk in the doors and get taken by those neon 30% signs...

Yes, good advice. Both places I mentioned above have good prices and are reputable sources. Be careful, there are LOADS of shady online camera outfits just waiting to rip you off. I won't go into detail, but stick to reputable places and don't be fooled by "too good to be true" prices. IMO, B&H and Amazon are the only places I will ever order camera goods from.

Bart

JoFotoz
02/05/2009, 04:16 PM
I used a 70-210 almost exclusively for years on my N90...

55-200 is a great range too.

However...I am "in love" with the 18-200 I now use on the D300.

Anything more than 200 can be "achieved" in photoshop given the clarity of Nikon glass , and the raw image size you can get from a D80...

As long as youre not doing poster size(!) or fine art commercial.....just zoom & enlarge on yer computer!

jo

Ascinder
02/05/2009, 08:29 PM
. Well cv boots tore again

You don't need CV boots!!!!:bgwo::naughty:

VX KAT
02/05/2009, 08:51 PM
I got the 18-200 VR Nikkor lens first month it was out! Same as gasmask & jofotoz have. AWESOME! Love it, wouldn't trade it for anything else. I ended up selling the lens that came with my "kit" (18-55 IIRC) and sold 2 other prime lens I'd been hanging on to.....the 18-200 covers it ALL.

I've tried other brands, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina...but there's nothin' like a genuine Nikon glass! Like you, I do a lot of landscape type pics. The 55-200 would be great, as landscape doesn't usually use the the lower end that much. The 55-200 has a bit lower f/stop (4) vs the 70-300, (4.5)......you may well gain more benefit from that extra stop than from the 200-300 magnification gain. For the $370 difference in price, I think the 55-200 is great. The difference from 55 to 70 is actually fairly noticeable, so the 55 is going to give you more flexibility.

The 55-200 will cover the majority of your needs! But DO stick with the sellers Bart mentioned! I've tried a few of the other "New York" photo houses over the years and have had nothing but nasty New York attitude, non-delivery, bate & switch, up-sell pressure, price discrepancies and off-branded batteries arriving instead of genuine OEM. Never again! (no offense to any NY'ers, but the photo trade there has some tough nuts). B&H is still in NY, but they're a class act.

I do have to say one thing, I have done repeated business with Cameta Camera on ebay (out of NY), & had nothing but A++ experiences. Their feedback reflects that too.

Price compare at some of these places and make sure the C.C. is a real deal. Really can't go wrong with either lens. Good luck! :thumbup:

VX KAT
02/05/2009, 09:09 PM
You don't need CV boots!!!!:bgwo::naughty:

Sorry to thread jack, but we don't need CV boots???:confused:

Ldub
02/05/2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but we don't need CV boots???:confused:

I think Beau was being sarcastic, indicating the need for diff drop brackets, to reduce the need for replacement boots...:smilewink

Dumke
02/05/2009, 09:23 PM
Yes yes i know no cv boots...

Thanks for teh advice all and the thread jacking u bunch scallywags...

Bart I agree tho we do need have a forum or sticky ro something for picture discussions... hmmm :)

Ldub
02/05/2009, 09:34 PM
Yes yes i know no cv boots...

Thanks for teh advice all and the thread jacking u bunch scallywags...

Bart I agree tho we do need have a forum or sticky ro something for picture discussions... hmmm :)

What!...who...ME?

You mentioned cv boots...:smilewink

Dumke
02/05/2009, 10:08 PM
HAHA actually Acinder is being serious he has been 2 yrs running without cv's? Speaking of that runnign joke I took a recent picture I need to post.

And Tri no need to do nothing big. i have the vac days scheduled and hoping to go. Well its in the plans as I have some oether people I will be visiting in AZ. But sooo far Im in... Man I wish I had one more week of vac to goto moab..

And HA i jacked my own thread :p

pbkid
02/05/2009, 11:05 PM
HAHA actually Acinder is being serious he has been 2 yrs running without cv's? Speaking of that runnign joke I took a recent picture I need to post.

And Tri no need to do nothing big. i have the vac days scheduled and hoping to go. Well its in the plans as I have some oether people I will be visiting in AZ. But sooo far Im in... Man I wish I had one more week of vac to goto moab..

And HA i jacked my own thread :p

yup ascinder doesnt have boots on his cv's... if i remember right he said that as long as it stays clean and greased there are no problems...

oh, and avoid water right??

VX KAT
02/06/2009, 08:43 AM
Hi- One Scallywag here......
thanks for looking out for me Ldub! :thanx: I'm easily snowed with the engine/mechanical stuff. I saw/read Triathlete tutorial :freek:on changing them & hoped it was true that you didn't need them.....

nfpgasmask
02/06/2009, 10:06 AM
CORRECTION:

Ascinder does not have ANY FRONT GUTS AT ALL anymore. :eek:

Beau, care to post some underbelly shots of your IronMan with no front underbelly?

Bart