PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded PO440 code

jimbo
02/11/2009, 04:38 PM
Well my VX has now thrown this damn 440 EVAP system code that many others on here have experienced. I've searched the forums and am not really sure if the things folks say they are going to do, like replace the EVAP valve(s), have worked. Is there anybody out there that has current info on how to fix this?

I'm gonna clear the code and see if it happens again.

Maybe I should call Merlin.

Anyways - Thanks!

Marlin
02/11/2009, 05:13 PM
Well my VX has now thrown this damn 440 EVAP system code that many others on here have experienced. I've searched the forums and am not really sure if the things folks say they are going to do, like replace the EVAP valve(s), have worked. Is there anybody out there that has current info on how to fix this?

Anyways - Thanks!

Mine has been doin it for the last month or so. I clear it, and a few days later it will come in. I do have a question, what does it actually mean? What is the significance if I ignore it? And to follow up, how to fix it.

crager34
02/11/2009, 05:49 PM

Anyways - Thanks!

What?? Trust what is said here..... seriously.

Gussie2000
02/11/2009, 08:23 PM
That code is related to the EVAP system which got a failure.

I had the same code on my VX last year. 1rst of all check all valves,solenoids & the charcoal canister which is located next to the fuel tank.

There's two solenoids,one located next to the canister & another located right below where the intake manifold conects to the black air duct.

Another possible source of the issue is that a ECU wire may be broken or rusted under the chassis.You may over filled the fuel tank many times & that cause the canister to be fiiled with fuel.

Another possible cause is a broken or loose hose.check all those hoses related to the EVAP system

johnnyapollo
02/12/2009, 03:36 AM
A similar code to that one affects Toyotas (just went through this on the Highlander) - if you "top off" the fuel leaches back to the evap tank and ruins it - pretty expensive to fix on Toyotas (at least on the Highlanders) as the tank has to come off and the whole unit has to be replaced (seems like it was $275 or so). Sounds like it's easier on the VX.

-- John

Marlin
02/14/2009, 05:34 AM
So if I ignore this "problem", is emissions my only concern, which is not for me since SC doesn't really care what you do.