PDA

View Full Version : Intake Leak?

logman
02/16/2009, 02:23 PM
Since I've purchased my VX I have had an EGR code. It randomly clears, and comes back on its own. Until now, I haven't had any REAL issues.

My last tank I got just over 10MPG(before I would get 15 - 17), and in the morning, when my truck is cold, it tends to blow some black smoke when even a mild amount of gas is applied. (more than normal, I think I may have original spark plugs)

Then, just 2 days ago I started to hear a loud beeping sound under the hood. It only happens at MAX vacuum, when the engine is breaking, or in Park, or Neutral.

When in park or neutral I get LOW and shuttering RPM's, but when I'm in drive, It idles perfect.

Intake gaskets?, I am going to use propane with a hose to see if I can get it to do anything, but man, I'm a little worried! I have just over 110k miles.

Anyone here experience this?

tom4bren
02/16/2009, 03:50 PM
"I am going to use propane with a hose to see if I can get it to do anything"

Whoa there big boy. That's a great way of losing some eyebrows at best or starting a car-b-q at worst.

Wait till you get some replies before you do anything like that - PLEASE. There's gotta be a better way to find that leak.

VehiGAZ
02/16/2009, 04:39 PM
That's basically the same technique as using carb cleaner to check for a leak. What could possibly go wrong?! :)

I can't offer any help with those symptoms - but it sounds like you are running very, very rich. Maybe an MAF on the way out? That's my "usual suspect" for poor idling issues.

Good luck!!

nfpgasmask
02/16/2009, 06:08 PM
Well, if you were getting EGR codes, you should have replaced the EGR valve right away, or at least cleaned it. I just did mine and it was $150 for the part, codes gone.

Are you getting a Check Engine Light?

Now, I am not 100% sure, but I have heard that if your head gasket is leaking you might have a milky residue in your oil (coolant leaking into crankcase). So, check your dipstick and make sure your oil is full and looking normal.

Bart

TheGanzman
02/16/2009, 07:19 PM
Not to thread hijack, but these EGR's just popped up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-DELPHI-EGR-VALVE-1999-2001-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-214-1080_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33607QQihZ026QQite mZ390031280104QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohos ting

Delphi is an OEM supplier, so the quality SHOULD be good; price seems good too...

WiSDoM
02/16/2009, 08:17 PM
if you have a vacuum leak you can try using a small hose or vacuum hose even and use it to listen for air leaks sround the air intake manifold. I had a leak in my gasket and wished i checked it first. i ended up replacing 2 o2 sensors, egr valve, and a bunch of other things i can remember before i found the leak. dont use propane. i don't know if do any harm but sounds dangerous. good luck