PDA

View Full Version : OMG my long chain of problems, please help me.

nmazzone
02/26/2009, 10:14 PM
OK. Here is the deal. After my first car was stolen. So I was on the lookout for something practical but unique, stylish, and quick. I found the VX. I bought my VX at the beginning of last summer and all was well. Then, two weeks before I left for school, my engine blew. The mechanic who has worked exclusively on VX's in the Columbus area for years said that a valve (exactly what I can't remember) went bad, causing oil to burn fairly quickly, which in turn made the engine overheat rapidly while I was cruising at a comfortable 90mph on the highway trying to get to school on time, which caused a rod to crack the block. GREAT. So, I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new engine with aftermarket parts replacing parts that were known to be faulty on the previous OEM engines. IT IS AMAZING. Yet up until today, then idle was incredibly high (around 2500 rpm). Every time i dropped the trans into drive i cringed at the sound and jerk that came from dropping it into drive at such an rpm. Well, sitting in traffic for a while a few weeks ago resulted in trans fluid temp overheating. This never happened previously so I figured it was time for a fluid change. 130 dollars later, new fluid was in the trans and the temp problem was fixed.

Yet the idle was still high, and a new problem with the ABS light coming on just started (ill get into that in a minute). SOOO it was a nice day out, and I decided to wash the car, while doing so, I removed the headlight covers, and the bra for the first time ever since purchase and for some God unknown reason, my idle is perfect right below 1000rpm.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO FIX THE IDLE: I doubt it was the bra and light covers.

Now on to the ABS light. It came on, then went off again. And now its back on. Can anybody help me with this?

Oh and by the way, both window plastic tabs are broken too.

I still love my VX

Ldub
02/26/2009, 10:23 PM
OK. Here is the deal. After my first car was stolen. So I was on the lookout for something practical but unique, stylish, and quick. I found the VX. I bought my VX at the beginning of last summer and all was well. Then, two weeks before I left for school, my engine blew. The mechanic who has worked exclusively on VX's in the Columbus area for years said that a valve (exactly what I can't remember) went bad, causing oil to burn fairly quickly, which in turn made the engine overheat rapidly while I was cruising at a comfortable 90mph on the highway trying to get to school on time, which caused a rod to crack the block. GREAT. So, I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new engine with aftermarket parts replacing parts that were known to be faulty on the previous OEM engines. IT IS AMAZING. Yet up until today, then idle was incredibly high (around 2500 rpm). Every time i dropped the trans into drive i cringed at the sound and jerk that came from dropping it into drive at such an rpm. Well, sitting in traffic for a while a few weeks ago resulted in trans fluid temp overheating. This never happened previously so I figured it was time for a fluid change. 130 dollars later, new fluid was in the trans and the temp problem was fixed.

Yet the idle was still high, and a new problem with the ABS light coming on just started (ill get into that in a minute). SOOO it was a nice day out, and I decided to wash the car, while doing so, I removed the headlight covers, and the bra for the first time ever since purchase and for some God unknown reason, my idle is perfect right below 1000rpm.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO FIX THE IDLE: I doubt it was the bra and light covers.

Now on to the ABS light. It came on, then went off again. And now its back on. Can anybody help me with this?

Oh and by the way, both window plastic tabs are broken too.

I still love my VX

Don't want to be too much of a hard az, but it's my job...:smilewink

Search function = make friends with...:thumbup:

As search criteria use...
1...PCV valve or oil consumption
2...high idle
3...ABS
4...SBC
(SBC will lead you to the window fix thread)

Knowlege is POWER!

etlsport
02/27/2009, 05:51 AM
high idle can be caused by a few things.. luckily i think the most expensive of these is like 100 bucks.. but mostly you can do these fixes in a driveway with some basic tools and an occasional helper

the main causes of a high idle..

fuel pressure regulator (replace (50-60 dollars)
MAF sensor (take out and clean with sensor safe carb cleaner)
idle control (take apart and clean with sensor safe carb cleaner)
EGR valve (take out and clean with sensor safe carb cleaner)

the abs issue.. its common... id say 30% of us have had our ABS units fail.. just dont let the dealer fix it lol.. they tried to charge me (and everyone else here) in the ballpark of $3,000 to fix it.. i replaced my abs module for about $150 with used one and have had no issues for 3-4 months now

and to elaborate a bit.. SBC (street boutique customs) makes a metal replacement bracket for those stupid plastic tabs

good luck!

tom4bren
02/27/2009, 05:54 AM
mazz,

I don't know how far you are from Fredericksburg, VA but I'll prolly have a window fixin party this summer - just come with the brackets from Street Boutique Customs (SBC). blujfan & I both need to getr done.

ISCE
02/27/2009, 08:01 AM
For your intermittent ABS light be sure and just check your brake fluid level. Might be a bit low, and when it's cold it will come one for a little while then go back off.

WormGod
02/27/2009, 08:06 AM
mazz,

I don't know how far you are from Fredericksburg, VA but I'll prolly have a window fixin party this summer - just come with the brackets from Street Boutique Customs (SBC). blujfan & I both need to getr done.

Announce when this takes place. I still haven't put mine in yet and might be down for a road trip since I haven't met up with any VXers in a couple years. :)

OP, what etl said. Many of your issues can be resolved quite easily with cleaning. Cleaning seemed to work for me for a while until recently so I went ahead and picked up a new FPS, MAF, EGR, Green drop in filter, and new plugs for $400 w/ shipping. Not a bad price, all things considered. Just looking forward to arrival so I can have a fun little driveway install day. :cool:

cyronman
02/27/2009, 09:47 AM
Don't want to be too much of a hard az, but it's my job...:smilewink

Search function = make friends with...:thumbup:

As search criteria use...
1...PCV valve or oil consumption
2...high idle
3...ABS
4...SBC
(SBC will lead you to the window fix thread)

Knowlege is POWER!

Dub, did he catch you on a good day?!

I didn't see:

5...site supporter contribution ;)

cyronman
02/27/2009, 09:48 AM
oh Wow, looks who's talking! :eek::o

(must have just expired)

tom4bren
02/27/2009, 11:27 AM
"oh Wow, looks who's talking!"

LMFAO (had to check my status before I said that)

"Announce when this takes place."

Absolutely. It'll be sometime between April & October (really - not kidding. After blujfan get his running again & before he PCSs)

pbkid
02/27/2009, 01:21 PM
oh Wow, looks who's talking! :eek::o

(must have just expired)

lol i was gonna say...kettle calling the pot black huh?

nmazzone
03/01/2009, 10:16 PM
Yes you were right: The cause of engine failure was the PVC valve.

The idle from what I remember was because the power steering pressure was high causing causing the high idle from what I've read on other threads. Im sure that this is it because when the idle was high, turning the wheel was effortless, now with the pressure lower, the steering is not as light.

Thanks for the invite to the window fix "party".

As for the ABS, it comes and goes. As of now the light is off. It seems that the light only comes on after I have been driving for a while, but from reading other threads, its not anything to worry about fixing immediately, the only reason I would even want to fix it is for peace of mind when my four year old is in the car.

don moore
03/01/2009, 10:41 PM
got to love this site........:p

Ldub
03/02/2009, 03:19 AM
Dub, did he catch you on a good day?!

I didn't see:

5...site supporter contribution ;)

LOL...mr super VX'r...:naughty: (JO...go over to Cy's place & give em' a nudge)

I guess I must've been sleep deprived or somethin'...:smilewink