PDA

View Full Version : snow plow..

etlsport
03/04/2009, 07:11 AM
has anyone ever mounted a plow on the front of a VX? id love to try it! i dont have any experience with plows, but was thinking that the two mounting points for the front tow hooks would be a pretty good location for a removable mount.. might be something i try once i get my welder and get some practice in (with any luck it should arrive today!)

any reason not to do this (other than unrelenting requests for favors) ? or has anyone tried it?

:_snowplow

edit: doh.. just got a call.. welder got delayed again! :( thats the 3rd time

VehiGAZ
03/04/2009, 07:15 AM
That's just freaky etlsport... at the very moment you were posting this, I was thinking about how no one has ever put a plow on a VX. :freek:

Riff Raff
03/04/2009, 07:22 AM
Hmmm, a Snowplow on a VX. Let me ponder that for a moment..........pause..........ponder..........pau se..........ponder..........NO!!!

etlsport
03/04/2009, 07:40 AM
Hmmm, a Snowplow on a VX. Let me ponder that for a moment..........pause..........ponder..........pau se..........ponder..........NO!!!

ohhh.. well in that case let me forget the idea right now :rollb:

WormGod
03/04/2009, 08:29 AM
I don't imagine the VX wheelbase would be very plow friendly. In my head, I am trying to picture pushing a full load of snow and trying to turn, hehe. It looks like more fun than it should be. :cool:

Never been a fan of plows on "consumer" vehicles, unless advertised as "super duty". The stress you put on a vehicle that that kind of labor is pretty intense.

MSHardeman
03/04/2009, 08:40 AM
etl,

I've seen plows on other trucks and jeeps before and it always looks like a massive amount of stuff up front. There are mounting brackets on top of mounting brackets that usually end up pretty close to the ground, and depending on how fancy of a plow you got you would need to run electrical or hydraulic lines to control the rake and pitch of the blade. I don't think that it would be very practicle, but then again neither is the VX to begin with. It would be an interesting look for sure.

etlsport
03/04/2009, 08:44 AM
a buddy of mine has an F250 that he made a removable mount for.. it looks like two round tow hitches flush in his front bumper, ill have to find out how he managed

that is an interesting point wormgod.. i didnt think about the extra stress.. you think there will be more beyond just working the engine hard to push the snow? i wouldnt guess it would be any worse than towing/ carrying a heavy load.. and well the look i know wont be great, but the ultimate goal would be something that can be put on/removed in about 30 minutes

nfpgasmask
03/04/2009, 10:41 AM
Once I get my welder setup, I am going to use the tow hook mounts to make some sort of bar that I can put up front and tie my canoe to. Right now, the ratchet straps touch my hood when my canoe is up top and rub the hell outta my clear coat. So I want to make something that can be easily bolted up when I carry my canoe. Man, I can't wait to get my shop up.

On the plowing issue, I think this is best left to the bigger trucks that have a trans built for that kind of work.

Bart

JHarris1385
03/04/2009, 11:02 AM
I have alway thought of this too. I understand the VX is not that large or powerfull for this however I have seen many small John Deeres plow snow.

pbkid
03/04/2009, 12:50 PM
wouldnt it be hard on the x-case too??? lots of weight on the front of the vehicle? wouldnt that cause the TOD to read the rear wheels as slipping a little and keep moving the power from front to back??

also, i think it would completely destroy the lines of the vehicle...the headlights and the grill are the coolest part of the VX (IMO), and the plow would cover them..

psychos2
03/04/2009, 02:38 PM
They make lighter plows now for smaller vehicles. they weigh about 250 lbs. I have also thought about putting a plow on the vx. shawn

Ascinder
03/04/2009, 05:28 PM
My brother in law has a plow on an ancient bone stock mail jeep. If he can plow out Montana snows with that, I'm sure a VX will have no issues.

pbkid
03/04/2009, 07:38 PM
just a thought...my dad has a ton and a half military chevy with a county plow on it (darn colorado weather ;) ) (ya talk about about some sweet detroit lockers front and rear :_drool: )

and when the plow gets really resistant the truck has a tendency to go sideways instead of just spin...and therefore has a tendency to slide into huge piles of snow or t-posts....it has lots of dents therefore...i would hate to see a VX have the same problem because of the short wheelbase..

my vote is, buy an old arse vehicle you dont care about and use that...

psychos2
03/04/2009, 08:59 PM
The short wheelbase is not really an issue. It actually helps IMHO. I have seen a snow plow on a citation, if that can plow a VX can. shawn

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/04/2009, 10:09 PM
On the plowing issue, I think this is best left to the bigger trucks that have a trans built for that kind of work.

Bart

I feel the trannie would be the component I'd be concerned about handling the added stress....

I think if you put a light duty plow (as others have indicated...250#) and used it "primarily" for your own needs...not out plowing other lots for cash....it would probably handle it.

I've seen a Jeep Liberty plowing...which I thought was strange as it is a unibody!

WormGod
03/05/2009, 07:47 AM
I still wouldn't do it unless I planned my VX on being the topic of a future "parting out" thread. :p

It's not a matter of "can it do it". Hell, a Big Wheel can do it. Load over time (talking about the actual pushing of snow) is what will bite you in the end.

pbkid
03/05/2009, 11:32 AM
I still wouldn't do it unless I planned my VX on being the topic of a future "parting out" thread. :p

x2

VehiGAZ
03/05/2009, 11:49 AM

x3

Plowing for fun... that's what beaters are for.

psychos2
03/05/2009, 02:43 PM

It's not a matter of "can it do it". Hell, a Big Wheel can do it. Load over time (talking about the actual pushing of snow) is what will bite you in the end.

The same can be said for towing ,4 wheelin, Moab,installing a winch, lifting, bigger tires,etc. I see no problems with doing some light plowing ,by that I mean a few driveways. This would not be for commercial plowing. There is a full frame under the vx it will be just fine. And as far as the "parting out thread" that could be from just driving down the road. shawn

WormGod
03/06/2009, 07:40 AM
I still wouldn't do it unless I planned my VX on being the topic of a future "parting out" thread.

And as far as the "parting out thread" that could be from just driving down the road. shawn

But we don't PLAN on what you speak of. Unless of course.... you have some death wish. ;)

To each his own though. We have seen enough people do amazing cool and even unspeakable things to their VXs. We all have our opinions, but the most important thing is, we all also have our own VX to do what we want with. Hell, if someone from, say, Fargo, who had a skeleton/skull fetish were to mount a skull from a mammoth on their hood, so be it. It's their VX. :cool: :bwgy:

Oh, as for mounted plows on ATVs.... I did that years back. Of course, it was for kicks and I mounted a plow for heavier built, 4x4 ATVs on my old Yamaha Blaster, heh. Not exactly what the manufacturer had in mind. Racing bike with a utility attachment, heh. It was quite the jerry-rig but it worked. Right up to the point where I made 1st and 2nd gear as smooth as a baby's arse, heh. An example of misuse plus, more misuse. :p

Amnesia
01/06/2010, 12:54 PM
Thread revival!!

Ok - No one has mentioned this. I'm all for plowing & my driveway (and neighbors) need it badly! This one mounts in the receiver hitch and I've read nothing but positive reviews. I'm thinking that with a front hitch mount (which is what I'm going to search for next), this might just be the hot ticket for me.

For your consideration:
http://www.fasttrackracks.com/p-3648-snowsport-180-snow-plow.aspx

AMNESIA

tom4bren
01/06/2010, 01:13 PM
I know there was at least one VX on the forum with a front receiver but I can't remember who.

Travelin2 has 2 receivers offset up front for the tow bar so he's not the one I was thinking of.

CrnCnn
01/06/2010, 01:16 PM
Greg (Orion) has a hitch mount in the front.

Ldub
01/06/2010, 02:28 PM
If you search early posts by user "I wanna retire" from Rhinelander WI.

You'll find he asked the same question, with many of the same responses...:smilewink

Ldub
01/06/2010, 02:33 PM
Here tis..http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6458

djvx
01/06/2010, 10:34 PM
too bad no one has done up a snow plow. i see plenty of jeeps with them, and alot of ATV's (4 wheelers) with them.

nfpgasmask
01/07/2010, 08:17 AM
I don't know people, the VehiCROSS is WAY too pretty to stick a PLOW on the front of it... :wtfy:

Bart

WormGod
01/08/2010, 07:25 AM
Thought I would throw this in here since it relates....

A friend of mine bought a Rubicon a couple years ago. It had a few mods and a 3" lift with 33's. He had a plow and used it for some HOA contracts his small company holds (even though he owns a small fleet of pick ups, heh). His Jeep was 2 years old and was in for a performance alignment after new tires. They couldn't properly align it for whatever reason. They said nothing was calibrating properly. After a body shop inspection, it appeared his frame was bowed upward and sideways. We are both are pretty good friends with the guys who work at the performance shop and the body shop so I highly doubt they were conspiring to blow hot air up his arse, heh.

He has since parted it out and bought an H3 (uhg). It appears the plow "most likely" stressed his structure over time. It's never actually been offroad and never been in an accident so the math just adds up in one direction. The real sad part is, we get very little snow around here, especially in the last 2 years, so that isnt saying much. Damn if it wouldnt have been handy this winter with the snow we get just about every week now.

In any case, I still stand by my guns. I would never put a plow on my VX. If I did.... it would never get used. :p But, fire away. I would prefer something with some length, locking hubs, and a manual tranny.

JNUVX
01/08/2010, 09:38 PM
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/jnuvx/Picture002-1.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/jnuvx/Picture001.jpg

Sorry I know it's stupid....but I couldn't resist I had to park it over the plow. There's no way that would ever work on the VX.

Ldub
01/08/2010, 09:44 PM
Sorry I know it's stupid....but I couldn't resist I had to park it over the plow.

But on the other side of that coin...

I'm relieved to know you didn't stick that big blade on your VX for real...:yesgray:

handeeman
01/09/2010, 08:44 AM
Hey JNUVX, I about did the ole coffee thru the nose laugh when i saw your pics.....very good....ya should of gone longer with the ruse. i woulda.

I was gonna mount one on my VX as they were saying it might snow in Orlando this A.M., figured i could make a lotta spare change clearing driveways etc.,,,i got a scoop shovel that will do the trick, tied to my front bumper. Figure if we get snow i could hurry and sweep it up put it in the shovel and remove it. Don't know how much to charge tho ?

WormGod
01/11/2010, 07:31 AM
Hey JNUVX, I about did the ole coffee thru the nose laugh when i saw your pics.....very good....ya should of gone longer with the ruse. i woulda.

I was gonna mount one on my VX as they were saying it might snow in Orlando this A.M., figured i could make a lotta spare change clearing driveways etc.,,,i got a scoop shovel that will do the trick, tied to my front bumper. Figure if we get snow i could hurry and sweep it up put it in the shovel and remove it. Don't know how much to charge tho ?

Reading a post like this and seeing your location hande.... it just.... sounds.... WRONG.... in so many ways. :p

(considering we just dug out from 24" and have been getting 2-3" randomly for the past week)

handeeman
01/11/2010, 08:24 AM
Reading a post like this and seeing your location hande.... it just.... sounds.... WRONG.... in so many ways. :p

(considering we just dug out from 24" and have been getting 2-3" randomly for the past week)

In all seriousness, I do feel for those that are in a heap of snow and have a job to get done. Yesterday my wife and I got quite a kick out of seeing all the ice on plants ,fences and the driveways of people that forgot to turn off their sprinkler systems. That's an unusual site in Orlando. We're suppose to be back in the 70's later this week.

WormGod
01/13/2010, 07:15 AM
In all seriousness, I do feel for those that are in a heap of snow and have a job to get done. Yesterday my wife and I got quite a kick out of seeing all the ice on plants ,fences and the driveways of people that forgot to turn off their sprinkler systems. That's an unusual site in Orlando. We're suppose to be back in the 70's later this week.

We are celebrating hitting, perhaps, a high of 35f today with the winds dying down so the wind chill is no longer making it feel like 10f outside. So ya, I hear ya, heh.

handeeman
01/13/2010, 10:23 AM
Today in Orlando we should hit low 60's, tomorrow low 70's and Sat. mid 70's.
That reminds me, last night I got the weirdest phone call around mid-night. I answered it and then said in a rather loud voice "How the h**l would I know, I'm not the weather man !" That woke up my wife and she asked what that was all about ? I told her I didn't know, "it was just some guy calling and asking if the coast was clear ?"