PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to your VX this week?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Gussie2000
02/06/2010, 08:00 AM
im getting the factory hood fix and repainted and then putting on the rancho 9000 and ome912 on the back

Hey david what's up ?

Chopper
02/07/2010, 06:40 AM
Trading it for a 1954 chevy Travalall...the wrecked Denali donor vehicle....and trailer they both are on. The Travelall (Suburban) is RUST FREE and I got it to run after a couple hours. I'd be an idiot to turn down the offer....he wants 19k cash....but his kid is smitten with 0177.....tough one!

Ldub
02/07/2010, 06:59 AM
Trading it for a 1954 chevy Travalall...the wrecked Denali donor vehicle....and trailer they both are on. The Travelall (Suburban) is RUST FREE and I got it to run after a couple hours. I'd be an idiot to turn down the offer....he wants 19k cash....but his kid is smitten with 0177.....tough one!

Dude...SERIOUSLY?...:eekgray:

Say it ain't so Chopper.

I for one, hope you're having some WAY early April fools fun...:confusedw

alanbradley
02/10/2010, 12:50 PM
I managed to break 5 out of 6 studs holding one of the rear wheels on. No, I'm not quite sure how either as I'm pretty anal about having them correctly torqued and then checking them a few miles later.

Risked hypothermia today and changed the 6 offending studs so she's now roadworthy again!

Woot!

:bgwo::bgwo:

deermagnet
02/11/2010, 03:04 PM
Today I got a new muffler and tailpipe. I've been messin' with the back half of the exhaust for a couple years now. I'm not happy with the quality of the mufflers I got at Monro Muffler and now I needed a new tailpipe. I actually wanted a whole new system from the manifolds to the tip and was willing to drop $1000 to do it.

I went to J&V Muffler (http://www.jvmuffler.com/) and told the guy I wanted to replace everything and be done with it for years to come. He looked at it and said everything upstream of the Y looked great and there's no need to replace anything. A new muffler, a custom bent stainless tailpipe, and a polished tip would do it. $345 out the door. http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mags/mags2/deal.gif

They did a great job! It's so quiet now! :yesy:

The welded-on tip-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx7/696.jpg

The welded-on custom bent stainless steel tailpipe-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx7/701.jpg

The custom front hanger so it'll never bang on the crossmember again-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx7/703.jpg

The whole very quiet, perfect size, muffler-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx7/705.jpg

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

orion
02/18/2010, 09:02 PM
I did this (add diabolical laughter here)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_0453.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16812)

ZEUS
02/19/2010, 07:30 AM
Uh oh, here he goes again... can't wait to see the end result, Greg...

Ldub
02/19/2010, 07:37 AM
Uh oh, here he goes again... can't wait to see the end result, Greg...

My guess is a whole row of receiver hitches, so he can have 7-9 scary hooks poking out-da-back...:naughty:

He seems like such a nice young man when you meet him in person, but under that "nice guy" persona lies a heart as black as coal...:uhohgray:..:laughing:

vt_maverick
02/19/2010, 07:38 AM
Finally going to be warm enough here to get some work done. Hoping to accomplish all this, though it's probably a bit optimistic considering I do have to help the wife watch the baby sometime this weekend. ;)

1. Sand/clean dull headlights
2. Reattach headlight weather stripping
3. Determine if slightly faded rail covers (bought them used from someone else) can be B2B'd to match my darker rail. If not, paint them to match.
4. Wash & detail (wax, B2B, vaccum, leather cleaner, Armor-All, etc.)

Next week hoping to get my windshield and TorqueOnDemand sticker (broke in half apparently during a car wash) replaced.

vt_maverick
02/19/2010, 07:40 AM
My guess is a whole row of receiver hitches, so he can have 7-9 scary hooks poking out-da-back...:naughty:

No kidding... if he ever sells his VX, someone's going to have an awesome roller-derby car. :p

VX KAT
02/19/2010, 09:29 AM
He seems like such a nice young man when you meet him in person, but under that "nice guy" persona lies a heart as black as coal...:uhohgray:..:laughing:

Yes, I want to see what the evil genius comes up with now....:_thinking
I see that now, very quiet but a rather dark young man at heart.....http://www.gashing.com/smile/evilgrin/evilgrin0030.gif (http://www.squidoo.com/scuba-diving-guide)

j/k, just messin' witcha Greg!

Mile High VX
03/07/2010, 01:46 PM
that were in the holes of my front fender, so I put the JDM mirror back on that came with the VX when I bought it.

Doen't really help with anything, excpet it looks pretty cool IMHO and it got rid of the plastic fillers that were beginning to chip and show white instead of Dragon Green Mica...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0093.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0094.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0092.JPG

Sprey
03/07/2010, 03:31 PM
Milehigh that looks awesome! your vx is slowly becoming a jdm vx :D all you need now is a the 2wd transferbox and youl be on your way.

For me this week. its about moaning about my fuel consumption. getting around 4.5 LKM. - 21litres to 100km.

Talked with my mechanic gonna replace the fuel filter and while its there might as well do the tranny, transfercase. and both fluids. then we'll see if anything improves otherwise. those very heavy mud tyres are coming off for me to see if theres an improvement with a near stock tyre that is heaps lighter.

otherwise at this rate my vx might be up for grabs :mad:

WormGod
03/08/2010, 07:12 AM
Picked up a replacement torque wrench this weekend (old one brokedededed) so looks like it's back to the garage to replace the intake manifold gasket.... again. This time with the lower, recommended, day-late-dime-short torque specs. Weather demands it. 3 weeks ago, 3 feet of snow. Today, about 60f. *sigh*

p_justin13
03/12/2010, 07:23 AM
The last three weeks consisted of:
1. Headlight restore
2. Headlight replacement
3. Angle Eye fog lamps
4. BF Goodrich Open Trail ta's all around
5. Drive shaft greasing at three points Mobile 1
6. Clarion Single Din in dash DVD player
7. Front Axle Replacements
8. New Shocks all around
9. New Wheel Bearings
10. Massive interior cleanout
11. Rear Liscense Plate led light mod
12. Oil Filter pcv Mobile 1 5w 30
13. Installed new brake pads and rotors
14. Exhaust repairs :(

Upcomming week waiting on a few parts to arrive
1. Install magnabra just came in this morning
2. Install Black Carbon Fiber reconditioned center arm rest should be comming back this week?
3. Install Red VX emblem on grill
4. Install Single DIN Carbon Fiber cup holder shipping from UK
5. Install carbon fiber dash trim kit Ebay
6. Body Shop repairs on front right fender first thunderstorm of the year and I catch a branch on the front right fender, lucky its just a small booboo :(
7. Install new driver side door hinges starting to sag, St Charles Isuzu
8. Sea Foam engine, oil, filter, pcv again, burning rather excessive amount of oil of late 1 quart per 500 miles easy
9. Remove rest of decals on VX
10. GO PLAY IN THE MUD

Wich list: Carbon Fiber hood insert for center hood insert any ideas?

Ok, Im hooked, is it really such a bad thing? It's not like its crack or something! lol

crotchrocket
03/12/2010, 07:43 AM
Im taking my VX to a garage tomorrow, so will be without it for a week, its getting a majour service, new brake fluid, transpher/tranny fluid, diff fluid, replacement AC clutch bearing and possibly a new CV joint or two

p_justin13
03/12/2010, 08:25 AM
By the way, I have brand new head light trim strips still in packaging. Not going to put on now due to overhang of magnabra, ( will probably not back off eventually) if anyone wants I will sell twenty bucks plus shipping for the pair.

VX KAT
03/12/2010, 08:32 AM
By the way, I have brand new head light trim strips still in packaging. Not going to put on now due to overhang of magnabra, ( will probably not back off eventually) if anyone wants I will sell twenty bucks plus shipping for the pair.
Badda Bing! I'll take em! Are they OEM?

JAMAS
03/12/2010, 08:45 AM
argh.....

if Kat doesnt end of needing them, I will take them.

Marlin
03/12/2010, 10:33 AM
Tomorrow morning, installing front Aussie Locker, Super Winch hubs, new CVs, adjusting valve clearance (should get rid of lifter ticking...I hope), may reindex torsion bars. I have annoying rattle somewhere up front, suspect its an exhaust heat shield, gonna find and remove those things too. Replace steering gear box, hopefully no more steering slop. Feedback is adjusted as far as it will go. Grease all zircs, for the 5th time since last winter...can never have too much lube.;) Need to install my neon/droplights, but I have been lazy and working on wife's new truck. Not looking forward to running all those wires through the undercarriage, may have to drill a sizeable hole and RTV it to keep it watertight. I will post up results of Aussie install and any lessons learned. Last step for my VX, then it will be a full blown trail truck. Might make a new bumper this summer, rhino line front of hood and fenders, undercoat bottom of hood since I removed the factory blanket that was in there, but I am taking calc I, II and statistics between now and OCT, so that should keep me busy. We shall see.

etlsport
03/12/2010, 07:02 PM
in the past 2 weeks..

new upper and lower radiator hoses

new serpentine belt

oil/filter/pcv change

little more cladding trimming

interior detail

exterior detail

fiberglass lower din slot to be a smooth panel, installed 2 constant power 12v outlets, AV ports for the head unit and an ignition button

Mile High VX
03/12/2010, 07:33 PM
Interior detailing

Refinishing my custom rock sliders.

Getting ready for Spring trail time...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Mile High VX
03/20/2010, 11:25 AM
Cleaned and oiled my Green air filter this weekend.

Got the cleaning kit from AutoAnything.com for the same price as the Green website, but it had free shipping...so $11.90 all in. (which is about $10 less than the Green site with shipping.)

Maybe this will help my gas mileage issue some, it was pretty dirty.

So-CalVX
03/23/2010, 05:41 PM
well friday i'm having my lift installed (springs only for now) and i am hoping my rims n tires show up at the shop... so the bee will be looking proportionate
33x10.50's on 15" flat black steel bullet holes :D
and i jus noticed my name changed... yay for site supporting :D

Ldub
03/24/2010, 01:04 AM
and i jus noticed my name changed... yay for site supporting :D

X 2 !!!!!

Good on You Bro...:thumbup:

vt_maverick
03/24/2010, 05:04 AM
Headed up to DC for biz tomorrow, then stopping by Tom's place to attempt to install Kilby skid plates!!! Hopefully there will be more of this :bwgy: than this :mady:. :)

tom4bren
03/24/2010, 07:08 AM
Why would you think that. Didn't the Nerf bars go on without any problems???

WormGod
03/25/2010, 06:54 AM
Air intake temp sensor - $45.72 (OEM)

The winter salt went to town on the grommet that seats this in the intake, and there was apparently no way to get one alone. So, just grabbed a new assembly.

Crankshaft position sensor - $161.94 (OEM)

The 342 reared it's ugly head. May also be a big help on emissions and MPG.

Throttle position sensor - $59.83 (OEM)

Wasn't really much of a need to change this out, but figured may as well. Salt was caked up on it quite well and it was a doozy to clean up. I find myself cleaning this a couple times a year so figured, what the hell.

Marlin
03/28/2010, 11:57 AM
I had a couple of coupons for Harbor Freight, a free LED flashlight and 15% off entire purchase. While I was there, the airhorns were on sale, so I got the two horn kit with compressor. It was only 8.50 after coupon. My horn was dying anyway, so low and behold, I now have a ridiculously loud horn, although it is a bit high in pitch for what I wanted, everyone will hear me!!! I had to swap the factory 10A fuse for a 15a fuse. I squeezed both horns under the hood where the factory airbox was, only had to drill one new hole.
I also bed linered the inside of my hood. I removed that hood blanket when I did the scoop last year, and it was falling apart. So in an attempt to deaden the sound a bit, figured I would give this a shot. If no difference, I will look into getting a new blanket from a junkyard. At least it makes my sloppy cuts far less obvious:)
I also picked up a collapsible lug wrench on sale for about 6 bucks, great deal!!
Almost ready for the big trip in a few weeks. I still need to install the LED undercarriage lights, and wash and wax her. I added a coupler guide to my hitch for the truck to help with backing up to the trailer.

Ldub
03/31/2010, 03:30 PM
Today I got down under the beasty lil truck & popped in the 2" spacers I bought from the Boss. The el-cheapO spring/strut compressor(s) that I picked up at Harbor Freight made the job doable without having to disco the sway bar...:yesgray:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3980

919's & 2" spacers is tight, even with the springs compressed.
Then cranked up the T-bars for about 3/4" more height in the front.
I'll get the new skinz mounted & balanced in the next week or three, then a fresh alignment.

Also greased every zerk (15) & gave the bottom side a once over.

Winters around here are harsh on vehicles...:confusedw

PK
03/31/2010, 04:14 PM
Also greased every zerk (15) & gave the bottom side a once over.

Larry, where the h*ll do you find 15 zerks on a VX??:confused::confused:
Unless ya got 12 in the cup holder??:p

Just want to know in case I am missing something.

PK

Ldub
03/31/2010, 06:11 PM
Larry, where the h*ll do you find 15 zerks on a VX??:confused::confused:
Unless ya got 12 in the cup holder??:p

Just want to know in case I am missing something.

PK

I figured that might raise an eyebrow or two...:smilewink

.................................................. Drive shaft = 3
.................................HD tie rods from Indy4X = 4
.............................HD lower links from Indy4X = 4
Greasable Energy Suspension sway bar bushings = 4

Sprey
03/31/2010, 09:17 PM
Vx had a big service yesterday. And a new wof ( inspection to say its safe to be on the road etc)
new sparkplugs ( old ones were soo gone that the tips had disappeared me and my mechanic are fairly sure there the origionals!)
New fuel filter ( still had origional and it looked real munted on the outside lol)
new alternator belt ( old one was cracking)
checked all dif and transfercase fluids.
New rear brake pads ( out of a older isuzu ? ( not sure prob older bighorn) the bradepads were fatter than the ones i used to have. and i must admit the brakes are soo much better now and that was only the rear pads getting changed over!.

Took it to the panelbeaters and got all the nasty scratches out. But sadly still the odd one but ill get those later.

Refinished the cladding ( mothers naturaly black).

and the vx is starting to look great again.
So far its starting alot better and seems to run alot better :D

etlsport
03/31/2010, 09:47 PM
converted all my lights down the center of the dash to LEDs today..

tomorrow i do the gauge cluster and re-paint the dash panel

fuzzy
03/31/2010, 10:21 PM
Within a week, I will be able to DRIVE my VX again, which I haven't been able to do for a year. Yep... Fuzzy's coming home from desert-land.

Ldub
03/31/2010, 10:38 PM
Within a week, I will be able to DRIVE my VX again, which I haven't been able to do for a year. Yep... Fuzzy's coming home from desert-land.

:dance:.:yes:.:dance:

tom4bren
04/01/2010, 02:49 AM

Best news I've heard all day ('course it's only 0600 :happyface)

Mile High VX
04/01/2010, 05:44 AM
I was out your way yesterday and they miss you...

Thanks for your service.

deermagnet
04/01/2010, 08:56 AM
I decided to drain my gas tank today. After ten years and 11,000+ gallons of gas, I wanted to see what might be sitting on the bottom. There was only a few small grains of dirt. I was expecting much more. I even flushed the tank with more gas after it drained and nothing else came out. So, I would say this is not a project you need to be doing anytime in the distant future. :yesy:

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/857.jpg

Mark Griffin

Mile High VX
04/01/2010, 09:07 AM
It's the Hyundai branded Thule 696...thanks for your work to make this happen vt maverick...:)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0116.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0115.JPG

samneil2000
04/01/2010, 09:27 AM
It's the Hyundai branded Thule 696...thanks for your work to make this happen vt maverick...:)

Looks awesome! I'm starting to think I need to aquire a rack and basket... hmmm

vt_maverick
04/01/2010, 11:19 AM

My pleasure... but your pics are making it hard to stay at work knowing mine's still in the box on the floor of the garage! :upsetgray :p

circmand
04/01/2010, 12:29 PM
watch me drink a lot of beer.

WormGod
04/02/2010, 07:09 AM
Loading it up with weapons and heading to the range for some plinking with some friends. Maybe pick another lil something, something 5.56 while I am out too.

My version of the VX A-Team. ;)

deermagnet
04/02/2010, 08:09 AM
Today I replaced my VX windshield decal. It gets faded after about three years. I think this my fourth one.

I hate the wet method. It's just bubbles galore. Pressing it over and over, spraying, lifting, more spraying, and some bubbles are still there. It very hard to screw up with the dry method.

I tape the top edge so the whole thing is hinged together. It's too difficult to apply something this size in one piece, so I cut between the letters and apply them one at a time.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/866.jpg

This way there's no hurry. You can take your time and make sure each letter gets pressed down perfect.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/868.jpg

I can only remember having one small bubble that went away in a few days. Even with a much larger hood decal, if you can tape it down and cut between the vinyl to make it into smaller pieces, it'll go on like a dream.

I replaced my rear window decals also.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/872.jpg

Mark Griffin

Mile High VX
04/02/2010, 05:17 PM
Greased up my 7 zerk fittings...

The center driveshaft zerk was really low.

I'm ready for the trails here to free up so I can get it dirty...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Gussie2000
04/03/2010, 05:15 PM
Just changed my oil...

Rotella T 15w40 is the oil viscosity.

Although is a heavier viscosit oil many isuzu owners have been using this oil.

Let's see how this oil works on my horse.....:smilegray

Mile High VX
04/03/2010, 06:16 PM
Cleared my headlights.

Refinished my spare tire cover. It's still not perfect, but looks 100% better.

I need to find a way to cover some pretty deep nicks and scratches...just need to figure out the best way.

USMCvxOFFROAD
04/04/2010, 12:05 AM
installed some ome 919's cranked the bars installed the roof rack hit the trails pics to come

VX KAT
04/04/2010, 05:11 PM
Used the 303 throughout the interior yesterday, that stuff is great! Gives a little bit of a sheen for a little while but it goes away when you wipe it down, as directed. NOTHING like Armor-All or many other products I've used in the past on the dash and side panels that leave a slight residue that sometimes attracks fuzz and pet hair.
This stuff leaves absolutely no residue, not oily, not tacky, nothing, and has ZERO scent, which is another huge benefit. I'm using a sponge and it goes very very far with just a few small squirts of this whitish watery liquid. Great stuff! Buy it, but buy a small size, I bought the 16 oz spray and this will last me for years.

etlsport
04/04/2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/SNC00129.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17201)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/SNC00128.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17200)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/SNC00126.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17199)

USMCvxOFFROAD
04/04/2010, 08:48 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/cid_168.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17197)

new lift new tires and yes i know the end caps are not on i did that purposely

deermagnet
04/08/2010, 08:51 AM
I've been very busy this week with the good weather.
I painted my fuel door flat black and the Vcross letters gloss black, cuz' they were in bad shape.
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/883.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/874.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/891.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/886.jpg

The letters are not perfect, but I think they look great. In low light from a distance, you'll never know they were hand painted. ;)

I used the black polish on my hood insert and it looks great once again after ten years.
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/880.jpg

Detailed it inside and out. Cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the PCV valve. I replaced my toggle/blank A/C cut-off switch with a stock heated mirror switch.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/images/images2/001.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/900.jpg

I replaced my mats and peddle pads with new ones and replaced my center arm rest with a used one.
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/892.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/896.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/899.jpg

So, I'm good to go. I only need to rotate my tires and that's it for a while. :)

VX KAT
04/08/2010, 09:50 AM
I used the black polish on my hood insert and it looks great once again after ten years.
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/880.jpg

Everything looks fantastic! What's this "black polish" you speak of for the insert??

vt_maverick
04/08/2010, 10:05 AM
Any chance you'd upload those pics to the site rather than a filebox elsewhere? Firewalls no likey... :(

vt_maverick
04/08/2010, 10:07 AM
Hopefully will be mounting the Thule 696 this weekend. Carriage bolts came in yesterday, so I think I have everything I need to try out the Mighty Mounts. I'll take pics when I'm through.

Mile High VX
04/08/2010, 10:30 AM
Exactly what product did you use on your hood insert?

The black emblems are a great option for anyone who doesn't have over a hundred bucks to replace them.

tom4bren
04/08/2010, 11:40 AM
The black letters look great. If I weren't debadged, I'd be doing that (even if they weren't worn).

VXR
04/08/2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/891.jpg

that looks really good. nice work:yesb:

deermagnet
04/08/2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks, guys! No smoking, no kids, and no pets really saves the interior.

My review of the black polish has been on this site for five years now. I love that stuff! It's really the cheapest and easiest solution for the hood insert.
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Reviews (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=2)
I'll maybe have to add one more coat around Labor Day and that's it till next spring.

vt_maverick, I'm sorry about the pic problems. I never heard about an issue before. I've never used my account storage here for photos. I'd rather be in control of my own stuff and I have tons of storage and bandwidth available at two sites. I just don't wanna take up so much space here, and when pics stored here are viewed it costs Scott a little money for the bandwidth usage, that I can avoid. I'm not saying anyone should not store pics here. It's just something I can handle on the outside on my own, so I choose to do so.

I had three options for the letters. Debadge, replace with new, or paint 'em. I figured if they looked like crap painted, I would just remove 'em, no risk. You could have some fun with different colors. I think a medium blue would look nice. I used primer the day before the black and it actually looked good with the brown primer!

I forgot to mention I also lubed the window tracks with silicone. Lubed the hinges and latches on all four sides with white lithium grease. And treated all the weather seals with Armour All. That's good stuff to do in the spring.

I gotta tell ya, after ten years and 214,000 miles up here in the north, my VX still looks pretty darn spiffy. :p
I took these while I was out this afternoon. I'm sure some people still think my VX is some kinda brand new vehicle.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/902.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/904.jpg

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx/909.jpg

I'm having more fun with my VX than ever after all those years and miles. I can't imagine life without it. I really have no complaints. It's amazing how great my engine and tranny work, and it rolls down the road like it's on rails. Not even the slightest steering wheel vibration at 80 mph. I really got one of the best Vehicri ever made! :yesy:

vt_maverick
04/08/2010, 05:16 PM
No worries Mark! But just remember that while other file stores may come and go taking your picture with them, stuff stored here stays here for others to read later. :)

Thanks for reposting the pics!

deermagnet
04/08/2010, 05:22 PM
I hear ya. Been there, done that with PhotoPoint back in the day. What a pain that was! About a million people got screwed and some of us paid them money. I have all my files copied on my PC with the same folder and image names. When I upload new files, I save 'em to my PC immediately. And sometimes I copy 'em on to discs for extra protection. I think I have something like 1,600 files stored at this point.

Mark

Ldub
04/08/2010, 06:14 PM
VERRRRRRRY NICE...:drool:

I really like your tail light treatment too...:yes:.:thumbup:

atilla_the_fun
04/08/2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/SNC00129.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17201)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/SNC00128.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17200)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/SNC00126.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17199)

Hey etlsport, are these HIDs (with separate ballasts)?

etlsport
04/08/2010, 08:23 PM
the headlights are hid with separate ballasts the fog lights are 6000k h3 bulbs but they already melted the housings :( just too hot.. im back to the factory lights again with orange bulbs.. ive got a new idea but it will take some time to realize

but today i got the dash finished.. cleaned up some imperfections in my previous fiberglass work, got the engine start button and auxiliary power outlets working and got all the dash lights changed over to LED

Mile High VX
04/08/2010, 09:07 PM
and thanks to etlsport its been sooo easy.

crotchrocket
04/09/2010, 08:36 AM
Weather has changed here, so thinking of painting a few bits of the rear axle tomorrow, maybe tart up the interior too

So-CalVX
04/09/2010, 08:59 AM
well my squealer tabs decided not to work so I will be replacing my brakes... all four rotors and pads just because i can lol... have a friend at carquest, i paid less than half of what i would have had i just walked in...
also.. new rims finally came in :D rock crawler series 98 flat black 16" rims with 33" BFG KO tires.. gonna do that up too

crotchrocket
04/09/2010, 09:09 AM
PICS OF THE WHEELS AND TYRES.....once done please :D

soggybottomboyz
04/09/2010, 10:19 AM
Picked up 4 OEM 18" rims to replace the exsisting ones which were pealing pretty severely. The new rims I have cleaned and ground out all the imperfections on the inside and painted the same Mica Green as the VX. Goin to paint the calibers red also with the two part epoxy. Thinking about switching out the rotors with the zink/silver coated slotted type which are here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270547641755&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT. Has anyone had any experience with this type rotors? Will they rust? Will the pads dust my rims? Any infomation would be helpful.

Thanks,

Soggy

atilla_the_fun
04/09/2010, 10:42 AM
the headlights are hid with separate ballasts the fog lights are 6000k h3 bulbs but they already melted the housings :( just too hot.. im back to the factory lights again with orange bulbs.. ive got a new idea but it will take some time to realize

but today i got the dash finished.. cleaned up some imperfections in my previous fiberglass work, got the engine start button and auxiliary power outlets working and got all the dash lights changed over to LED

I was reading about those housings melting...low quality plastic - people have had good results with those home depot bulbs (I'm going to change mine as soon as I remember to go to HD) for their fog lights.

Did you pick up a set of HIDs with HID low beam and regular high beam? How much was the HID conversion? Thats in my future.. the look of the HIDs brings the car into the 21st century, and I think gives the VX another 10 years of looking like a brand new model.

You've got to do a write up on your Dash LED exchange with pictures! I wanted to do that for my Eagle Talon when I had her.. the Orange internal lights (as they are in the VX) are a bit drab and dated

VX KAT
04/09/2010, 01:54 PM
I was reading about those housings melting...low quality plastic - people have had good results with those home depot bulbs (I'm going to change mine as soon as I remember to go to HD) for their fog lights.

Did you pick up a set of HIDs with HID low beam and regular high beam? How much was the HID conversion? Thats in my future.. the look of the HIDs brings the car into the 21st century, and I think gives the VX another 10 years of looking like a brand new model.

I was just discussing this with Scott & DUb last week: Here's some good info from Scott. I ended up ordering them from xenonrider.com, $190 delivered, and with the slim ballast. Fabulous guy to work with, name is Joseph.
Originally Posted by Moncha

If it were me, to get the most bang for the buck and have the most change for the better. I would make the change over to HID headlights.

Using the web site that you were referring to, XenonRider.com go to this page --> http://www.xenonrider.com/products/h...hid_kits.shtml

You're looking for the second kit on the page "H4/9003 Bi-Xenon Hi/Lo HID Conversion Kit (Dual-Lamp)" It's a kit, contains all that you need to hook it it up. I'm not familiar with the brand or the components so, I can't vouch for it. Kinda why I was pushing the Kaixen, but then again, my luck..... With the cost being half, that's not bad.

Once you have done the upgrade you'll know why I recommend it so highly. Laura says it's the best gift I have ever given her over the 26 years of us knowing each other! After 4 years of using them she thanks me regularly and often.

The LEDs can wait as they are cool but don't make a safety change like the HIDs do.

Scott
Here's his reply pertaining to the round fog lights:

The Hella Micro DE HID versions are that expensive (about $450+) but the Micro DE Halogen, like you have spotted out in you link below are a lot cheaper (around $150).

The Hella Micro DE Fog Driving Lights Universal (Halogen) in the ebay link right below is # 74527 and are bulb H3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hella...#ht_1388wt_683

These are what I have installed and you would find in my How To. (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=2)
You would want to change out the H3 bulb to the bluest that you could find as the regular halogen bulbs that come with will be a very yellow color light in comparison to the HIDs. Even with the bluest of bulbs, they will look yellow in comparison.

Mile High VX
04/10/2010, 07:02 AM
I did a complete "how to" on this with pics. Soon as it gets approved it should be over in the "How To" section in the "Body" area.

Before

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN01191.JPG

After

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0176.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0175.JPG

Mile High VX
04/12/2010, 01:36 PM
Oil changes and new spark plugs...putting in NGK's.

The ones that came out of her were Champion and she runs better now and hopefully the gas mileage will go up...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

phines
04/12/2010, 05:42 PM
All the years of abuse has had my VX in need of A LOT. She's finally gettin' some love.

Last week: All new brakes, rotors and a few calipers.

This week: New rims and tires (33" BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2's). Cleaning/repainting the Thule basket and installing new off-road lights. Attempt to polish and clean up the headlights.

Next week: Line-X coating for the cladding!
________
red head Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/redhead-girls/)

deermagnet
04/12/2010, 05:47 PM
Paul, it's great to hear you still have your VX and you're back posting again. You gotta be a ten year original owner by now. Please post in the 10 Year Anniversary forum when you get a chance. We're really lacking ten year owners to step up and shout it out. We've only heard from a few so far.

Mark Griffin

phines
04/12/2010, 06:51 PM
Paul, it's great to hear you still have your VX and you're back posting again. You gotta be a ten year original owner by now. Please post in the 10 Year Anniversary forum when you get a chance. We're really lacking ten year owners to step up and shout it out. We've only heard from a few so far.

Mark Griffin

Wow, Thanks Mark. You're right! I have owned this beast for 10 years! I'll post something on there soon. :cool!:
________
Polish Cooking (http://www.cooking-chef.com/polish/)

So-CalVX
04/12/2010, 08:57 PM
PICS OF THE WHEELS AND TYRES.....once done please :D

they're in the RIMZ N TYREZ post
or my gallery :yeso:

Ldub
04/15/2010, 06:38 PM
I finally got the 35's mounted on the dubs...then started whacking & carving till I could do a full lock turn...:yesgray:
Still have some more surgery to complete before I can do a full lock turn with the suspension compressed, but at least I can drive it around town now...:naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC043401.JPG

vt_maverick
04/15/2010, 07:13 PM
Lookin' good Dub! Scary to think what that must look like in person! :eek: :D :thumbup:

VX KAT
04/15/2010, 07:38 PM
I finally got the 35's mounted on the dubs...then started whacking & carving till I could do a full lock turn...:yesgray:
Still have some more surgery to complete before I can do a full lock turn with the suspension compressed, but at least I can drive it around town now...:naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC043401.JPG

Oh yeah baby!!!!! :dan_ban::dan_ban::thumbup:

Riff Raff
04/15/2010, 07:44 PM
x2. Very impressive L-Bud. Your VX looks awesome. I just love VX's that don't have those huge ugly gaps in the fender-wells. Well done, my friend.:yeso:

samneil2000
04/15/2010, 07:58 PM
wow :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mile High VX
04/15/2010, 08:09 PM
Very nice Dub...

So-CalVX
04/15/2010, 08:29 PM
i wish i had 8 more hands so i could give that beast ten thumbs way up :)

VX crazy
04/16/2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah L BUD......big rubber is looking good!

Scott Harness
04/16/2010, 06:25 AM
SWEET!! Jealousy rearing it's ugly head:mady2:

PK
04/16/2010, 05:20 PM
Looking good Larry.

Now, you need to sweet talk Sue into finding you a supersized rack to carry your supersized spare.:p;)

And no more pictures of my long lost brudder either.:bwgy::smilewink

PK

VX KAT
04/16/2010, 05:52 PM
Looking good Larry.

Now, you need to sweet talk Sue into finding you a supersized rack to carry your supersized spare.:p;)

And no more pictures of my long lost brudder either.:bwgy::smilewink

PK

:rollo: At least PK said YOU needed a supersized rack.....:laugho:

If his monster tire doesn't fit in the 696, my guess....Dub will find a way to cut his rails and lengthen it with some metal insert that he'll fab up! I know you're creative enough to come up with something.

Mile High VX
04/16/2010, 06:02 PM
:rollo: At least PK said YOU needed a supersized rack.....:laugho:

If his monster tire doesn't fit in the 696, my guess....Dub will find a way to cut his rails and lengthen it with some metal insert that he'll fab up! I know you're creative enough to come up with something.

Sounds like KAT knows a thing or two about what to do if you need to supersize your rack...just sayin!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mile High VX
04/21/2010, 06:36 AM
So a trip to Home Depot gave me this for $30...:yesb::yesgray::yesy::yeso:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0225.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0226.JPG

I can remove the OEM roof rack with the 696 still attached and hang it in the garage. I mounted it so that I don't need help to make this happen. The large basket hooks give good support. It's made by Rubbermaid. Washing the VX will be much easier now and it only takes about 5 minutes to remove or install. Love it.

VX KAT
04/21/2010, 09:56 AM
So a trip to Home Depot gave me this for $30...:yesb::yesgray::yesy::yeso:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0225.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0226.JPG

I can remove the OEM roof rack with the 696 still attached and hang it in the garage. I mounted it so that I don't need help to make this happen. The large basket hooks give good support. It's made by Rubbermaid. Washing the VX will be much easier now and it only takes about 5 minutes to remove or install. Love it.

Very efficient! But I can't quite tell how those 2 arms are holding the rack? I see part of something silver in the close up pic..but that appears to be holding the black hook to the horizontal bar on wall.
It doesn't appear any of the Thule rails are over the big black hook, so what's holding it up? :_thinking

etlsport
04/21/2010, 10:06 AM
drivers door panel = DONE

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_Door_004.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17513)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_Door_003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17512)

Also added alarm LEDs on each door panel like VW/Audi do to make the alarm more visible (wow its tough to type VW.. i typed VX like 5 times before muscle memory let go!)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_Door_011.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17514)

Mile High VX
04/21/2010, 10:20 AM
Very efficient! But I can't quite tell how those 2 arms are holding the rack? I see part of something silver in the close up pic..but that appears to be holding the black hook to the horizontal bar on wall.
It doesn't appear any of the Thule rails are over the big black hook, so what's holding it up? :_thinking

I was a magician in the past....no really here is a better pic. The arms are coated in a 'felt' type of material that prevents scratching.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0227.JPG

VX KAT
04/21/2010, 11:41 AM
I was a magician in the past....no really here is a better pic. The arms are coated in a 'felt' type of material that prevents scratching.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0227.JPG

Oh Oh Oh, I see, I forgot, and couldn't see the outer most bar, I only saw slats. Very cool mod! Gotta do that for my Yakima....

yellowgizmo99
04/28/2010, 08:01 PM
OK did my headlights and put 2 stebel nautilus horns in also, and here are shots of Ironman I picked up,
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/S5001999.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/S5001998.jpg
before:http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/S5001974.jpg
after: http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/S5001995.jpg,
before:http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/S5001973.jpg
after: http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/S5001994.jpg,
and the horn sounds from about 60 feet away,
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/th_S5002008.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/?action=view&current=S5002008.flv)

samneil2000
04/29/2010, 05:55 AM
Looking good Billy. Those tires fit great. I forgot how they looked on mine until now. Any other issues showed up?

vt_maverick
04/29/2010, 06:21 AM
We gotta do lunch next week so I can see her in person!

WormGod
04/29/2010, 07:00 AM
She is getting prepped for her stay at the shop for a while. Dropping her off Sunday and hoping her test results come back minor or better.

Changed out the 3rd PCV last night in a year. Very gummed up. Definitely a problem somewhere that the camshaft apparently does not like. You got me....

yellowgizmo99
04/29/2010, 07:04 AM
Give me a yell day before, usually ride bike in if weather good, had fuild and filter changed in trans and he said it looked good, was happy to hear that, think just got a leak in muffler where ends are crimped

dgl82182
04/30/2010, 02:50 PM
i think im done working on the ironman i think i might look to sell it but im asking a hefty value due to the fact i have a baby on the way i have all the original parts. only serious buyers may contact me at 2036154607

Mile High VX
04/30/2010, 02:54 PM
i think im done working on the ironman i think i might look to sell it but im asking a hefty value due to the fact i have a baby on the way i have all the original parts. only serious buyers may contact me at 2036154607

what is the DONE that you speak of??? :bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Man, hate to see you go. You should list it on the site in the Garage section. Did you ever sell you CF hood?

Gussie2000
05/01/2010, 10:37 PM
Last week i got the door pillar bagdes installed from ebay.

Just $ 26 with shipping included very nice looking stuff :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0068.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17593)

orion
05/02/2010, 12:33 PM
I made sliders :bwgy:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_0471.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17598)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_04721.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17599)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_04771.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17601)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_04781.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17602)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_0476.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17600)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_0480.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17603)

Ldub
05/02/2010, 12:39 PM
I made sliders :bwgy:

sa...LEEK...:thumbup:

Mile High VX
06/05/2010, 11:34 AM
My sireeen went out on my alarm so I replaced it with a extra loud un'.

I goes off in high winds and I wanna' make sure the neighbers know when were havin' high winds.:yesb::yesgray::yesy::yeso:

RamAirZ
06/05/2010, 12:38 PM
I put in new ball joints (upper and lower) on both sides with a flip, installed some Mecatech CV boots, low-pro droop snubbers, greasable sway bar bushing, and a neat aluminum trim panel for my gauge cluster lol

Mile High VX
06/09/2010, 10:57 AM
and added the cubby...the cup holder just didn't work well and I didn't need the change holder. This works better for my needs.

With the holder

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0245.JPG

With the cubby

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0246.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0247.JPG

Took all of 10 minutes to change it out...:yeso::yesb::yesgray::yesy:

Big thanks to deermagnet for the part.

Marlin
07/04/2010, 09:25 AM
In the process of wash and waxing. Just primered the new bumper, and began the underhood restoration. Took out the brake fluid reservoir and the wire loom mount. Rust treated and painting red with ceramic caliper paint:) Trip is in a few days,gotta get as much done as I can. Looks like am hitting up the Zu beasley knob meet next weekend, and then the other Zu Uwharrie meet the following weekend. Yippee!!! Check back next week to see me repair what I break:bgwb:

Brian Drinks
07/04/2010, 04:11 PM
This weekend iam going to put on my new crossed drill rotors and pads,repack the bearings i got from magnumbrakes and paint my calipers red.

edalseel
07/27/2010, 12:11 PM
Fitting new Drilled & Grooved Discs, Front Wheel Bearings (Inner & Outer), Seals, Stainless Steel Brake Hoses, Lower Ball Joints and painting my calipers red and its been a pig of a job so far!

My only hope is the otherside will be easier?

Bob Barker
07/27/2010, 12:25 PM
I hope to get time to fully detail the truck, like remove the rack parts and clean down under them, use a little rubbing compound to remove some swirl marks and take off the step bars and list them for sale too. Really for now just cleaning it up, oh, and I forgot I ordered that hitch, I'll have to try to install that this weekend too.

kodiak
07/27/2010, 12:29 PM
I love this thread. Makes me want to go in to a modding frenzy.:drool2:

tom4bren
07/27/2010, 12:32 PM
Wifey hasta work on Saturday so I hope to use the time to re-install my hitch & take measurements for the new design (frame to frame to increase the tongue weight capacity).

WormGod
07/28/2010, 07:24 AM
Well, she's in the shop. Brakes being done and.... fitted for Brembos. If my current wheels will work with them, it's a go.... if not.... staying stock. Like my wheels to much. I should find out today.

vt_maverick
07/28/2010, 07:37 AM
Well, she's in the shop. Brakes being done and.... fitted for Brembos. If my current wheels will work with them, it's a go.... if not.... staying stock. Like my wheels to much. I should find out today.

Looking forward to pics/results for future reference. What offset are your wheels? With 40mm extra offset from stock with my Borbets I'd think I could fit some pretty massive calipers if required...

Luna X
07/28/2010, 01:02 PM
The job was completed but now I feel beat up......

my center link had a torn boot and looked worn, so I replaced it and that did help the steering a little.
Then I gave the adjustment screw on the steering box close to half-turn, and took the VX around the block. The steering felt nice and tight again... no more "boat" feeling :bwgy:
........... time for a nap!

WormGod
07/29/2010, 07:09 AM
Looking forward to pics/results for future reference. What offset are your wheels? With 40mm extra offset from stock with my Borbets I'd think I could fit some pretty massive calipers if required...

Well, no can do. Looks like I will be sticking to the OEM calipers. For now at least. Without a spacer, guesstimated about 10-12mm, just not enough depth. My Enkeis have a 0 offset but that really has little to do with the clearance. Were the spokes more curved/concave, they would work. Was worth the try. At least I will be getting the slotted rotors, pads, and braided lines in.

vt_maverick
07/29/2010, 09:08 AM
Well, no can do. Looks like I will be sticking to the OEM calipers. For now at least. Without a spacer, guesstimated about 10-12mm, just not enough depth. My Enkeis have a 0 offset but that really has little to do with the clearance. Were the spokes more curved/concave, they would work. Was worth the try. At least I will be getting the slotted rotors, pads, and braided lines in.

Is that concave from the inside or outside? The Borbets are concave from the outside, in other words, the spokes lean outward from the center cap.

RickOKC
07/29/2010, 05:37 PM
Tomorrow: Window Tint! I'm not used to driving around without tint. I feel like I'm cruising the Pope-mobile and getting a sunburn every time I drive. My big frickin' tires (General Grabber AT2 275/65/18) arrive tomorrow, too! I feel like it's Christmas and may not sleep at all tonight. I will soon have some very nice new street tires for sale (Yokohama YK520 255/55/18).

Saturday early a.m.: I'd bunged up my driver's door latch while fixing the window on that side, but at least I finally got it to open from the exterior. I think I know what to do to get it working from both sides - all I need is to be able to work when it's under 110 deg in the garage.

Sunday early a.m.: I'm with Bob Barker - looking forward to a good polish & wax. I've spot-tested a few sections with heavy swirls and it's going to be a big, easy improvement. Hope my VX doesn't freak out from the attention of getting it's first wax in years (or first wax ever?) I LOVE DETAILING!

Ldub
07/29/2010, 06:38 PM
Tomorrow: Window Tint! I'm not used to driving around without tint. I feel like I'm cruising the Pope-mobile and getting a sunburn every time I drive. My big frickin' tires (General Grabber AT2 275/65/18) arrive tomorrow, too! I feel like it's Christmas and may not sleep at all tonight. I will soon have some very nice new street tires for sale (Yokohama YK520 255/55/18).

Saturday early a.m.: I'd bunged up my driver's door latch while fixing the window on that side, but at least I finally got it to open from the exterior. I think I know what to do to get it working from both sides - all I need is to be able to work when it's under 110 deg in the garage.

Sunday early a.m.: I'm with Bob Barker - looking forward to a good polish & wax. I've spot-tested a few sections with heavy swirls and it's going to be a big, easy improvement. Hope my VX doesn't freak out from the attention of getting it's first wax in years (or first wax ever?) I LOVE DETAILING!

Here's an idea for when it gets over 100 deg & you need an indoor activity...:yesgray:

Change your av from mustang to VX...:smilewink

LOL...someone needed to say it...:laughing:

RickOKC
07/29/2010, 07:36 PM
Here's an idea for when it gets over 100 deg & you need an indoor activity...:yesgray:

Change your av from mustang to VX...:smilewink

LOL...someone needed to say it...:laughing:

Oh no, you di-unt! LMAO :laughing:

Yeah, I gotta change the Av - heck it doesn't even accurately represent the Mustang any more since I changed the hood!

Until then, I'll steal Circmand's comment: "Everybody knows what a VX looks like" So... neener, neener, neener!

Ldub
07/29/2010, 07:44 PM
:laughing:...:laughing:...:thumbup:...:laughing:.. .:laughing:

Triathlete
07/29/2010, 07:55 PM
I'm with Bob Barker - looking forward to a good polish & wax.

You two gett'in your kink on? :?: :naughty: :_huh: :rotate: :laughing::laughing:

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 08:23 PM
Don't let ur jealousy show so much, man!

RickOKC
07/29/2010, 08:28 PM
You two gett'in your kink on? :?: :naughty: :_huh: :rotate: :laughing::laughing:
In the words of George Takei, "OHHH, MYYYYY!!!!"
http://members.cox.net/radams28/GeorgeT.jpg

Seriously though.... this thread is making my Christmas card list grow smaller every few minutes :p

RamAirZ
07/29/2010, 10:31 PM
lol, well here is my list for this week/weekend:

Today: Gave ol' Sylvia an oil change, rewired the trailer lights since the jacka$$ before me didn't know what he was doing (now they actually work), cleaned up the inside a tad, gave her a good wash (no wax though, ran out of time tonight), and put the passenger seat back in lol

This weekend: Meet up with Bob and Alo247 for an O-town VX meet and enjoy being able to relax for a few days in Orlando while my sister-in-law watches the kids back home lol. Maybe do a little offroading with some friends

WormGod
07/30/2010, 07:10 AM

Outward. Something similar to the Rota Grid Offroads, but those only come in 16's or 20's. 16's won't wrap the caliper and 20's are for for rap videos.

Luna X
07/30/2010, 07:40 AM
Outward. Something similar to the Rota Grid Offroads, but those only come in 16's or 20's. 16's won't wrap the caliper and 20's are for for rap videos.

20's may have been in rap videoes, say, 10 years ago... now you'd have to be rollin' 24's to get that street cred... ;)

I had to say this 'cuz I have 20's on my VX and they really don't look big at all. The VX's wheel wells are huge.

Bob Barker
07/30/2010, 09:34 AM
LunaX keeps it gangsta 24/7 bishes!

Luna X
07/30/2010, 09:46 AM
dat's right!.... gotta keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'

WormGod... what'cha gonna do with those calipers now that they won't work for ya?

Marlin
07/30/2010, 01:23 PM
Got my Apex stainless steel/kevlar/red brake lines in today!! Now I gotta find time to swap em. Also ordered an Aussie front locker for the wife's trooper RS. Once that thing gets delivered (the whole truck) , the VX will be in background for awhile. A new toy to play with!!!! Yippeee!!!!!!! Putting the trooper wide stance upper control arms and lower ball joints is first up on the list.

Bob Barker
07/31/2010, 08:19 PM
I cleaned those smoky scratched head lights and installed that PITA hitch tonight. But I'm proud of myself for saving all that money I would have paid some shop to do it. So proud infact I bought some Polk Audio component 6 & 1/2" speakers and I'm gonna get a small amp to push them after I move the Poineer 3 way 6&1/2" speakers to the back seat spots and wire it all up to the factory radio... for now. Maybe one day I'll have some money saved for a nice new touch screen unit... maybe. Next I get to wait for my springs to come in and then order some new rims and off road wheels.

Marlin
08/01/2010, 04:46 AM
after I move the Poineer 3 way 6&1/2" speakers to the back seat spots and wire it all up to the factory radio... f

Just so you know, that will require some modest modification, the rear factory mounts are 4.5". I have a set of Polk 4.5" speakers available from when I gutted my rear and went to 6x9s. 40 bucks shipped if you want them. They were back there a bit over a year, less than 5K miles:)

Bob Barker
08/01/2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to figure out how to get these 6&1/2's mounted since they will handle a little bit of power from the speakers amp I want to put in.

Marlin
08/01/2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to figure out how to get these 6&1/2's mounted since they will handle a little bit of power from the speakers amp I want to put in.

I was just looking at the factory steel plate, I don't think there is enough room, to cut it out to fit a 6.5". You would have to fab a complete mounting spot on your own. As long as you can do some simple metal working, you should be fine.

Ldub
08/01/2010, 06:49 AM

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=110743&postcount=11

Search "6.5" speaker" for more...:yesgray:

Bob Barker
08/01/2010, 07:49 AM

That's the thread I had in mind when I decided to move mine to the back. I remembered someone had already done it and posted how to do it right.

Marlin
08/01/2010, 07:51 AM

Wow, thats an old thread...diggin through the archives:)

WormGod
08/02/2010, 06:51 AM
WormGod... what'cha gonna do with those calipers now that they won't work for ya?

Sitting on them. I may get new wheels one day. You never know.

Luna X
08/02/2010, 09:07 AM
I had to ask.... they would look sweet under my set-up. (plus give x-tra stopping power)

RamAirZ
08/02/2010, 07:40 PM
Here are some pics from my weekend in Orlando:

Met up with Alo from the boards (real nice guy!):
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4857.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4858.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4859.jpg

Wifey took the VX out to lunch to meet her boss:
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4860.jpg

Went shooting at a friends farm and then played on the big dirt hill (waiting for some better pics to come to me but these will work)

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4868.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4869.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4866.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4865.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4867.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4863.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_4872.jpg

Then picked up a 1968 Mustang for my wife in Jacksonville to top the week off. Who said the VX can't tow!

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/0801101338-00.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/20100802182930.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/20100802182956.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/20100802211658.jpg

RamAirZ
08/02/2010, 10:22 PM
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_0153.jpg

Moonrover
08/11/2010, 07:49 AM
a few days ago i put on my repowdercoated hitch before it wasted away to nothing. and i also added an extra 12v outlet in the front. I had one of my tires resealed beacause of a slow leak, and i gave the moonrover a crazy wash and wax. The wash must of taken over 3 hours trying to remove the superman grime that accumlated in the curves and where the cladding meets the paint.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMAG0023.jpghttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMAG0022.jpg

PittVXr
08/12/2010, 06:51 AM
Stainless Steel brake lines go on today. After taking my brother's Xterra for a test drive this past weekend, I realized that my brake pedal is way too mushy. Hopefully these firm things up a bit.

RickOKC
08/14/2010, 05:13 PM
I had fun scubbing cladding all morning. :rolleyes: The previous owner had used that awful Bondo Restore Black that has been mentioned here. It was always blotchy, uneven and had swirls and streaks. I went through a roll of paper towels while using SuperClean Cleaner/Degreaser (http://www.superclean.com/product1.php). It's kind of messy so I used Windex to remove the residue it left. The end result was some good looking cladding! The previous owner said it was faded, but if that's right, it is very minimal. I was happy with the results... and then thrilled after wiping it down with some Meguiar's Natural Shine. It looks new! Unfortunately, it got too hot so I still have the passenger side to do.

So the moral to this story - do your best to talk people out of using the Bondo product and point them to SuperClean if they don't listen (or inherit it like me.)

vt_maverick
08/14/2010, 05:21 PM
Need pics Rick... ;)

VX KAT
08/14/2010, 05:39 PM
I had fun scubbing cladding all morning. :rolleyes: The previous owner had used that awful Bondo Restore Black that has been mentioned here.

I'm not sure which product you mean...
We've discussed
~Refinish/Restorer
~Meguiar's Back to Black
~can't recall any Bondo product :_thinking

RickOKC
08/14/2010, 06:23 PM
Need pics Rick... ;)
I'll have to do that tomorrow (hopefully before it hits triple digits outside!)

RickOKC
08/14/2010, 06:43 PM
~can't recall any Bondo product :_thinking
Oops... I didn't notice that those threads from my search were from back in 2007. One person liked it, but everybody else thought it was terrible. Etlsport tried it on one fender and reported that it looked bad for at least a year (could have been longer, but the 1 year mark was the last update.)

The previous owner sent me home with the unused portion. It's a thick, black gel applied with a foam brush. I tried to touch up a couple spots, but that just made it look worse so I decided it just needed to go away. The same night I drove it home, I used a towel to remove the thick layer of bugs from the front cladding. It looked different from the rest ever since and I ruined the towel - turned it black. Some of it got on the painted areas right above the cladding when it was applied. I'm glad this cleaner worked.

Mile High VX
08/16/2010, 04:14 PM
Oil change with Mobile 1 5W-30 High Mileage and a WIX filter
MAF and Throttle Body cleaning
SeaFoam thru the vaccum system
Lube the front and rear sway bar bushings, and all zerk fittings in the driveline
Silcone for the window tracks

It was a great day...

hyperkid
08/16/2010, 09:28 PM
I just finished shampooing my carpets. This weekend i'm painting my hood insert.

I'm surprised by how well the carpet and floor mats have held up - the picture doesn't do it justice - It looks very good

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG00011-20100817-1251.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18606)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG00010-20100817-1251.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18607)

RamAirZ
08/30/2010, 01:29 PM
Well I got to test fit my new rack and lights today, waiting for my crossbars to come in that I'm hoping will work.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_5023.jpg

I also mounted this little guy :evil:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_5022.jpg

SAM52764
09/03/2010, 10:03 PM
Thursday was an oil change and 2 new front tires, also had the front drivers side rim replaced at the same time. Friday I replaced the windshield washer pump that was leaking, and the prop rod holder that was broken. Saturday is supposed to be nice so it's time for a good wash and cleaning.

PK
09/04/2010, 04:49 AM
Thursday was an oil change and 2 new front tires, also had the front drivers side rim replaced at the same time. Friday I replaced the windshield washer pump that was leaking, and the prop rod holder that was broken. Saturday is supposed to be nice so it's time for a good wash and cleaning.

Some people have reported problems with the TOD if the front and rear tyres aren't matched in wear.
If your tyres vary much from front to rear, just keep an ear out for strange noises.
Seems to affect some and not others.

PK

SAM52764
09/04/2010, 06:29 AM
Some people have reported problems with the TOD if the front and rear tyres aren't matched in wear.
If your tyres vary much from front to rear, just keep an ear out for strange noises.
Seems to affect some and not others.

PK

Thanks for the tip but I should be okay as the rear Cooper Discoverer HT's have only around 300 miles on them, and I of course replaced the fronts with the same tire.

Marlin
09/05/2010, 10:10 AM
Changed the oil today, made a rookie mistake, didn't watch it drain, the plug backed up, 2 or 3 quarts in the driveway. Good thing I have about 5 gallons of dish soap:) Purrs like a kitten again, been 7 months and 3000 miles since last change. Tomorrow is the big day, with it being 65 in the morning, its tolerable to be outside till 11 or 12. I am gonna try and get the electrical work done, redo all switches to OEM switch, add relay and project box for various accessories (thanks for the tip boss). I have a external speaker to wire up for the CB, I think its going in the overhead, right between the visors. I also have to trim the axiom engine cover to fit, install new grill insert and if I am feeling really ducky, I will rhino line the hood insert, front cladding and fenders and parts of the hood. No promises there, that is gonna take a bit of time and Istill have to do my statistics homework.

Bob Barker
09/05/2010, 10:15 AM
LoL

He said tyres!

PK
09/05/2010, 05:12 PM
LoL

He said tyres!

I can't help it if you guys are 50 years behind the rest of the world in converting to metric spelling.:(:(:p

PK

Luna X
09/05/2010, 07:49 PM
I'm in the process of fitting 6x9 Polk db speakers into the factory rear spots... fun stuff! ;)

Marlin
09/25/2010, 06:47 AM
Just finished swapping out the grill insert, had to change the "ISUZU" emblem out as well, it remains upside down:)
I also used a titanium exhaust wrap on the rear exhaust, mine has been rubbing a spot on the frame since I busted a hangar last Uwharrie trip. No more rattle!!
I was going to fit the inclinometer, but I am just not feeling it today. The busted brake line has me all bummed out, part won't be here till tue or wed. :wtfy2:

I also removed the passenger side exhaust manifold heat shield, only one of the bolts broke, I was surprised. I do have a leak under there, I just can't seem to find it. I can feel the exhaust coming out, and smell it, so it must be a pin hole, of course, its on the underside where you can't see it. That may be a winter time fix...we shall see.
Still need to rhinoline the hood/fender/cladding, not feeling that today either. *sigh*, now I am bored.

Luna X
09/25/2010, 08:04 AM
I finally received my new amplifier to finalize my full speaker system upgrade, but we are still dealing with record high temps out here... supposed to be 104ish for another week.

Wish I had an air conditioner in the garage... I'm not gettin' anywhere on my vehicles this year... grrrrrrr

Marlin
09/25/2010, 10:05 AM
Boredom cured, I ended up taking the tow hook off, painting the clip style old Trooper tow hooks with caliper red as we speak, once dry, I will put both on the VX. Anyone need a OEM tow hook, its painted red:)
I also went ahead and mounted the CB external speaker. That only took about 5 minutes, now I am bored again.
Inclinometer is calling my name, I just don't feel like getting the angle grinder out and fabricating a housing. Lazy is winning. I was hoping mail lady would bring a new game via Gamefly, but alas, no game for me. Can't do homework, left my bag in the truck, which the wife took to work:( English Composition is a joke, I spend 30 minutes a week writing 1000 word essays, get 100%, and she commends me on setting my paper aside and doing a thorough review before handing it in. Riiiiiight, more like waiting until the day its due, throwing it together, turning in rough draft. Yippee for college!!! Statistics is fun though:) CalcII, not so fun:(
Sorry, I am just trying to avoid going back out to work on the VX.

vt_maverick
09/25/2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah I remember CalcII, it went much better the second time around. :o

I love statistics - the science of making numbers say anything you want them to. :)

VX KAT
09/25/2010, 11:08 AM
Anyone need a OEM tow hook, its painted red:)

I'm interested..are ya givin' it away or how much do you want for it?

Marlin
10/02/2010, 03:31 PM
I'm interested..are ya givin' it away or how much do you want for it?

15 bucks shipped, I will put a fresh coat of red if you want me to. I use caliper paint, so it is long lasting.

Marlin
10/02/2010, 03:33 PM
Herculined the hood and insert and fenders, if I don't pick up the RS tomorrow, I will probably do the cladding as well.
I also installed the inclinometer, CB in the F250...still waiting on my replacement SS brakeline. I also have the rear EBC pads on hand, waiting till front brakes are done before I mess with that so I can check the rear caliper piston movement and make sure they actually work.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1590.JPG

VX KAT
10/02/2010, 04:53 PM
15 bucks shipped, I will put a fresh coat of red if you want me to. I use caliper paint, so it is long lasting.

Ya, sure ya betcha, paint her up and I'll take it!
Send me a PayPal bill to: kactuskat@mac.com
It will have my address, etc...

Can ya send it asap & use Priority Mail (I think it would fit in "small" flat rate, don't you?), I'm leavin' on a trip Monday 10/11, so I'd really like to get it delivered by Sat 10/9. Small flat rate box is $4.95. Bump up the total to cover the extra shipping cost for this.

Thanks.

Marlin
10/02/2010, 05:47 PM
Ya, sure ya betcha, paint her up and I'll take it!
Send me a PayPal bill to: kactuskat@mac.com
It will have my address, etc...

Can ya send it asap & use Priority Mail (I think it would fit in "small" flat rate, don't you?), I'm leavin' on a trip Monday 10/11, so I'd really like to get it delivered by Sat 10/9. Small flat rate box is $4.95. Bump up the total to cover the extra shipping cost for this.

Thanks.

Done, I will paint it in the morning, ship it out on Monday, Paypal request sent. Have fun on your trip!!! Hopefully you won't need the hook!!!

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/03/2010, 01:23 AM
I want to state for the record that I love my VX and as an original owner it is the longest owned vehicle of the 12 vehicles I've owned in my life. That being said...I didn't want to come off being an un-happy owner after proceding into the next few paragraphs.

My VX has been in the shop (dry-dock) for the past 10 days for PM and issues that I wanted to address before they lead to future complications.

A week before the dry-dock situation I did have a rear axle leak that to my surprise wasn't a pinion seal or RTV seal or vent hose issue. It ended up being a corrosion issue as in the rear diff was rusted-out at the top left (driver-side) shoulder radius of the pumpkin. I had an expert welder fix this with a patch of steel that was done to such perfection I have trouble spotting it and I know its there! This however, lead to me noticing my driver-side rocker-panel was rotted through from the bottom.

I'm a little disappointed because in the 10 years of ownership I really only drove it one full winter ('09-'10) as my daily driver. The previous winters it only came out during serious snow-storms of 12" or more which meant like two-three times a winter...where upon I would pressure wash the frame & rockers & wheel wells and park it again.

So I dry-docked her for timing-belt/water-pump/etc...PM & front bumper rebar replacement & had my friend (who is an expert metal fabricator/welder) remove the cladding on both sides to inspect the corrosion issues & estimate labor/material costs to rebuild rocker-panels.

In the end I spent $430 for the Timing-belt/water pump/etc PM engine work including swapping out rusted front-bumper rebar for new replacement (which I heavily painted with rustoleum primer/paint & undercoated) plus $1,100 for rocker-panel restoration on both sides utilizing some 12gauge & 16gauge steel (this includes inner & outer rocker panel construction) plus replacing all hardware involved with stainless-steel fasteners plus he re-painted my Rock-slider bars since they had to be removed to rebuild the rocker-panels plus he heavily undercoated the affected areas (utilizing an amber-colored, waxxy feeling undercoating as oppossed to the usual black rubberized tar stuff) & sprayed oil throughout and encouraged me to get the VX oiled (oil-undercoated) before winter & in spring (which I haven't done yet @ $45). Timing belt parts w/ water pump came to approx. $765 as per Merlin. Also replaced both Radiator hoses & Serp. belt plus SC Serp. belt. Front bumper rebar was $154 from RockAuto.com.

Buying new shoes next week too...bummed I can't replace my Green Diamond Icelander M/T's with the same as I've grown to love them and the company went out of business...then has been ressurected but is not up to production as none of the dealers I've talked to can get them. So after striking-out with the new General Grabber A/T too (back-order 'til Dec.) and not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling about their snow worthiness... I've ordered 4 Yokohama Geolander M/T's ($202 each plus mounting & balancing) and keeping my lone Icelander M/T spare as a continued spare. Praying they will get me through the snow close to the same as the Icelanders did even though they don't have the carbide granules to assist.

Sorry for the long-winded post...hope it doesn't deter from reading...hoping to get 5-10 more years out of the old girl!

Marlin
10/03/2010, 04:35 AM
You can get the green diamonds!!! www.treadwright.com. I just ordered a set from them for my wife's Trooper RS. Took less than 2 weeks turn around!!

Thats a bummer about the corrosion problems. I am still working on por15 the frame and welds. I am gonna duplicote the Aarms and other small parts. The POR15 is for the welds and frame rails.
Good luck with your other repairs, you should have let me know about the bumper bar, I have one sitting in my garage with no rust, could have saved you at 50 bucks or so...:)

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/03/2010, 05:44 AM
You can get the green diamonds!!! www.treadwright.com. I just ordered a set from them for my wife's Trooper RS. Took less than 2 weeks turn around!!

Someone else gave me that link...the treadwright is the same idea but doesn't use the exact same carbide granules as the Green Diamonds...probably exactly the same effect if not better..not arguing that at all, but what I liked specifically about the Green Diamond Icelander M/T was it copied the tread design of the Yokohama Geolander M/T. That is what made me end up ordering the Yoko's after trying so hard to get the Green Diamonds again. They got me out of some tough situations so I'm figuring that the tread design itself (copied from Geolander M/T) had alot to do with that. Here is the link for Green Diamond Tires:

http://www.greendiamondtire.com/productswest2.html

mine lasted 2-years and roughly 30k miles and could've potentially got me through one more winter but they are 2/3 to 3/4 worn so not going to give me the bite in deep snow.

Marlin
10/03/2010, 07:05 AM
Cool, I think you will like the AT2, those were my first tires, they rode nice, but the sidewall was too thin for my hobby:) I really dig the new ones with the red lettering, but they are a bit pricey. Good luck with the wait, I too had to wait months for mine...

vt_maverick
10/03/2010, 11:19 AM
Bummer that it cost all that, but you've got to figure your up-front investment will significantly reduce costs later right? And if you ever do sell you ought to copy/paste your post into your ad - that's the kind of meticulous attention to detail that signifies a great used vehicle.

yellowgizmo99
10/14/2010, 06:24 AM
did clear lens for both front and side markers,
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/PA140015.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/yellowgizmo99/1999%20Isuzu%20VehiCross/PA140016.jpg

SouthJ1
10/17/2010, 10:44 PM
Well this week I have my Vx in my auto mechanics class. I plan to do some engine work to it so far and also install my amp and 2 12" speakers in the back. Last week I installed my passenger seat extenders. Next week I plan to get my ome parts for my suspension so I can lift me up a good 2-3" and also install my cb radio that I have. Trying to get ready for moab in may. Christmas list includes alot for the family haha (skid plate, winch, new wheels and tires, brushguard, new paint job....).

Pretty good list for a 16 year old huh?

vt_maverick
10/18/2010, 10:08 AM
So what are you getting for them in return? Don't want to end up with coal in your stocking... ;)

crotchrocket
10/18/2010, 11:08 AM
i'm replacing a broken CV and changing the rear diff oil. Then i might get it muddy :D

SouthJ1
10/18/2010, 08:11 PM
Maverick I treat my family well haha I get my dads business credit card for the club we own and get some presents every year I spend around 5 grand on family which we make that each day at the club we have in Lexington Kentucky usually.

RickOKC
10/18/2010, 08:34 PM
Well, I finally did the torsion bar crank and raised the nose 1" on my non-lifted VX. It bugged me since day one that the gaps in the wheel wells front-to-back were so far off that it looked like the front suspension might actually be broken. Then changing to taller 275/65/18 tires sure didn't help. I thought the "jacked up" look was really cool in the 70s. A few decades later - now that ALL cars seem to come from the factory "jacked up" - I'm really, really, really, really sick of that look. (Definitely a pet peeve of mine.)

I know the VX is supposed to have some rake and keeping it stock is "safer", but I may raise the nose another 1/2" to make it even closer to being level. Mine will never be perfectly even from side to side because the gap between the tire and the wheel arch on the left hand side is 1/2" higher than the right side. Started with 1-1/2" difference front to back on one side and 2" on the other.

vt_maverick
10/19/2010, 09:16 AM
Maverick I treat my family well haha I get my dads business credit card for the club we own and get some presents every year I spend around 5 grand on family which we make that each day at the club we have in Lexington Kentucky usually.

Hope you weren't offended, just giving you a little ribbing, all in good fun. :flower: In all seriousness, that's one he11 of a club you got there. You're making a 5K profit every day? That's like $520K / year if you're only open Friday and Saturday! :eek:

SouthJ1
10/23/2010, 07:29 PM
Well were open Friday Saturday and Sunday :) and no offense man I seemed like I snapped back sorry I just was saying it back sorry about that man .no hard feelings?

vt_maverick
10/24/2010, 09:13 PM
Of course not, it's just hard to judge tone and inflection over email or in posts, so I like to be careful. :) Now to get us back on topic...

I applied the TS-1 stuff a week ago yesterday. I'll write up something more detailed and post it in the Cladding thread after I've had a few more weeks to evaluate its rain resistance. I can tell you a few things: (1) it looks every bit as dark, if not more so, than B2B, 303, or any Meguiar's product, (2) it's extremely easy to apply. I'm VERY optimistic.

Triathlete
10/24/2010, 10:00 PM
Replaced my burnt out heater fan resister. Now after a long, hot Arizona summer I have AC/heat! Did I say it was HOT!?
Also cleaned out the fan cage. Think I need to recharge the AC system soon.

wekilled
10/24/2010, 10:12 PM
Well this weekend I installed the new metal window brackets from Tim, and while I had the plastic door panels off I took them apart and painted the orange part a metallic graphite color (close to the dash color). I used Rustoleum Midnight Black (more of a graphite sheen) which has small metal flakes in it. I took out the panels behind the "pockets" and painted that piece a true satin black so it has a nicer subdued tone to the whole panel, but not monotone. I also installed some 5 1/2 round lights on the grille guard and am working the wiring harness to power them, including a new fuse block. Took out the fuzzy hole and need to find a piece of black plastic to use to cover the hole so I can mount about 3x switches there (no luck in finding a Rodeo fuzzy hole replacement) - pics to follow.

Triathlete
10/25/2010, 10:31 AM
(no luck in finding a Rodeo fuzzy hole replacement)

Have you tried posting a WTB post here and on the Planet' or give Marlin a shout?:yesy:

pbkid
10/25/2010, 06:32 PM
wekilled-
i have one of those fuzzy hole replacements if your interested...

PM me! or call 720-273-1099

hyperkid
10/25/2010, 08:54 PM
I decided to go with the 3M headlight restoration. Okay let me say right now if you haven't done/considered this before you should. I spent $20 bucks and got this from my local Advance Autoparts store. I used my 9.6V rechargeable drill. Just follow the directions and you will be okay. Here's a tip, when you think you have sanded enough, do it again anyway. Although the directions do not say to add water to the sanding process I found doing so did a better job. Sand and sand again. Once you get to the buffing process with the compound you will see the difference. They really do look like new

Before

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0009.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19226)

Middle

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0011.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19227)

After - the light doesnt show the full clarity but it is beautiful - moving around the horns is rough but once you get the rythm you got it

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0014.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19228)

wekilled
10/25/2010, 09:13 PM
wekilled-
i have one of those fuzzy hole replacements if your interested...

PM me! or call 720-273-1099

VT Maverick offered me one for $20 with a few blanks, but mailbox is full so I can't respond. (below)

Looking for one with switch blanks and/or a working switch.....either way shoot me an email on my .mil account. Love to get the project underway with help from either of you.

VT Maverick: "I've got a fuzzy hole replacement if your interested. Need to take a look this weekend to see if I have the 2 blank switch covers that go with it. Say $20 including shipping? Just let me know."

- Ashley
Forward Message

vt_maverick
10/26/2010, 06:50 AM
Sorry Doug, I'm on bisiness travel so I haven't been able to clean out my inbox. I get home Thursday night so I'll let you know Friday what I have.

wekilled
10/26/2010, 12:43 PM
Sounds good. I have had the VX for 6 years already and haven't messed with the plate- so I can wait til you get home and decompress, etc. Preferably hit me up on my .mil account so I will see it.

In the meantime I will run the wiring to the switchplate, which will probably take the longest anyway.

Thanks alot!

vt_maverick
10/26/2010, 12:55 PM
Np, I'll be in touch!

wekilled
10/27/2010, 09:50 PM
I am pretty terrible about posting pics so here are a few images of what I have been up to lately: painted the doors with metallic graphite paint.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/PA270322.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19236)

diamond plate on the seatbacks/with Rodeo headrests, so when I put stuff in the back the seats can take a beating. Also use two nets so I can throw stuff in the "hammock."
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/PA270316.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19234)

added a flex mount for my Zune, and some new shifters.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/PA270324.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19237)

More to follow, I plan on finishing up the 5 1/2 round fog install once I get the switches, and adding extra outlets where the ashtray is currently located.

vt_maverick
10/28/2010, 06:50 AM
Nice work Doug, now I can see why you're eager to get that switch plate! Where did you get the seat backing material? Is it metal, rubber, or metal?

Bob Barker
10/28/2010, 06:58 AM
If I'm thinking of the same stuff, they have it at Pep Boys. It's not cheap but seems really tough. I was thinking about doing the entire back area of my truck with it, under the seats as well. The dogs would be much less likely to tear that rather than the seat leather!

wekilled
10/28/2010, 05:29 PM
This isn't the interlocking foam fatigue mats (had those in my garage before we moved)

This stuff is a heavy duty rubber/vinyl. Its used in warehouses and industry. I bought mine at Pacific Mat in Tukwila (south of Seattle) but I have seen it online and a few other places. I cut it with some trauma shears and also made a piece for the faring on my Yakima rack (see pic in gallery) You can bend it easily but it will not "stretch" in a double radius area, otherwise I would have upholstered the entire inside with it.

I have been trying to find it in wide enough pieces to replace the carpeting section in the back (cargo area and under back seats) with one piece and not have seams, but haven't found any suppliers that sell it by the foot or yard at that width. They all want to sell me an entire roll.

If they have the vinyl stuff at Pep Boys I am headed there!

VX KAT
10/28/2010, 06:54 PM
I saw the vinyl diamond plate at Costco about 8 months ago. It was roll of about 8' x 10' ' for $169.

Bob Barker
10/29/2010, 03:11 AM
$169 isn't too bad. Heck new carpet for a hatch back is almost $300!!! That sounds like a steal! Now I just gotta find me a Costco near by.

wekilled
10/29/2010, 03:37 PM
If you happen to see any at Costco let me know --and I may have to pick up a roll myself to do the rest of the floor and the driveline hump. Carpet is too "domestic" rather have all diamondplate flooring. Here is another source:

http://www.ironcompany.com/diamondplatetireplastroll-4x25x18100sqftpatriotsportsflooringand8482.aspx

Scroll down and you'll see they used it for a vehicle as well!

VX KAT
10/29/2010, 04:29 PM
I have to go to Costco tomorrow or the next day, so I'll see if they still have it and get the info on it.

RickOKC
10/29/2010, 05:12 PM
I have to go to Costco tomorrow or the next day, so I'll see if they still have it and get the info on it.
:thumbup: Thanks from me, too! My nearest Costco is 200+ miles away. I've been thinking about this since the first time I saw it here.

RickOKC
10/29/2010, 05:13 PM
Seat sliders installed today (Thank you Tom4Bren!)

RallyDude
10/29/2010, 11:55 PM
That Diamond plate looks good. I'm surprised it looks shiny like metal. Might be a project next summer. So how much more would metal be?

The Rodeo headrests look cool too. Do you know what years they came in? Nice boneyard find. Seeing as ours are just vinyl anyway, why not? I know they've been around forever, but they still look modern.

wekilled
10/30/2010, 04:29 PM
I got the headrests from another site member. I think the its the mid 90s on Rodeos and they look the same as what I had in my 94 Amigo. I'd put out a "wanted" or hit up a yard. Can't be a huge demand for Isuzu headrests (other than this forum) Anyway, they about double your visibility out the back, which is why I bought them.

Not sure how much metal would be, have to check around on that. I'm sure someone has extra diamondplate, however not sure if you have an air-nibbler or something to cut it with.

Bob Barker
10/30/2010, 04:54 PM
real metal diamond plate whould add HUGE weight to the back of a truck as well!

And update, I went to my local Costco and one of the employees told me they only sell the black rubber diamond plate rolls in "season"... as in this isn't the right season to find it there... I'll check on line with Costco maybe they offer it there.

VX KAT
10/30/2010, 05:13 PM
real metal diamond plate whould add HUGE weight to the back of a truck as well!

And update, I went to my local Costco and one of the employees told me they only sell the black rubber diamond plate rolls in "season"... as in this isn't the right season to find it there... I'll check on line with Costco maybe they offer it there.

What I'd seen at Costco was gray in color. I checked today, but nada. Employee has no idea what I was talking about. I checked online Costco and couldn't find it there either. There is some vinyl type diamond plate stuff there, there are 12"x12" squares.

Bob Barker
10/30/2010, 05:22 PM
I felt ripped off for my $50 membership fees!

vt_maverick
10/30/2010, 06:05 PM

I didn't think Florida had seasons? :confused: :p

And on the headrests issue, you might PM workmeistr, he has a nice set on his VX.

Marlin
10/30/2010, 08:24 PM
Weird, I just had a set of headrests in that style dropped in my VX at hallowharrie, they came out of a 99ish passport. Fit perfect. Only they are gray.

vt_maverick
11/01/2010, 09:32 AM
Sounds good. I have had the VX for 6 years already and haven't messed with the plate- so I can wait til you get home and decompress, etc. Preferably hit me up on my .mil account so I will see it.

In the meantime I will run the wiring to the switchplate, which will probably take the longest anyway.

Thanks alot!

Email sent... sorry for the delay!

WormGod
11/05/2010, 07:05 AM
Well, I suppose this weekend I may finally get around to re-mounting a single gauge a-pillar pod so I can finally go ahead and blow the dust off of the boost gauge for my S/C. I really should get a trophy for procrastination.

tom4bren
11/05/2010, 07:26 AM
...they only sell the black rubber diamond plate rolls in "season"... as in this isn't the right season to find it there... I'll check on line with Costco maybe they offer it there.

Costco is very seasonal & to make it worse, the online shopping is just as bad. Don't worry though, it'll be available again in the spring.

BTW, if they are out of an item don't even bother asking if you can buy the display - they don't allow that in any of their stores.

I really should get a trophy for procrastination.

I'll vote for you whenever I get around to it.

JAMAS
11/05/2010, 08:34 AM

Now, THAT's funny.

Bob Barker
11/05/2010, 10:22 AM
If you happen to see any at Costco let me know --and I may have to pick up a roll myself to do the rest of the floor and the driveline hump. Carpet is too "domestic" rather have all diamondplate flooring. Here is another source:

http://www.ironcompany.com/diamondplatetireplastroll-4x25x18100sqftpatriotsportsflooringand8482.aspx

Scroll down and you'll see they used it for a vehicle as well!

I actually ordered a roll of this stuff (FREE SHIPPING!!!) last week. Should be here sometime soon, I was hoping before the end of the day so I could work on it this weekend.

WormGod
11/08/2010, 06:59 AM

And go figure.... I didn't even start it, heh. Didn't even drive her this weekend.

Maybe next weekend? Hell, I haven't even looked to see what vac line I should split to run the line. *sigh*

Bob Barker
11/18/2010, 02:10 AM
Last night I installed the Daystar spring isolators and made several more turns on the torsion bars. For now it sits nice and super high, and I am starting to realize how silly it looks with factory 16" rims and tires on it! Time to start shopping for a new set.

vt_maverick
11/18/2010, 03:00 AM
The factory 16's aren't bad, as long as you have beefy tires to go with them. Unfortunately the stock rims are only 7" wide (I believe, definitely correct for the 18's) which will limit how wide you can go with the tire cross-section. If you don't mind going with a tall but somewhat narrow tire, you could also look into backspacers that push the wheels/tires further out. Food for thought...

Bob Barker
11/18/2010, 05:58 AM
I actually like the taller narrower tire. But right now the truck looks silly! I was hoping to get someone to powder coat the factory rims black until I could afford something better looking.

vt_maverick
11/18/2010, 06:47 AM
I want to do the same thing with my 18's someday, but have them painted a dark gun/metal gray to blend better with the cladding.

Bob Barker
11/18/2010, 11:42 AM
That's a thought. I want to paint my whole truck Rhino Liner black... wonder if I can get rims done the same!

Bob Barker
11/18/2010, 02:40 PM
So is there anyone else with OME 912's and Daystar spring isolators and the T bars cranked waaayyyy up, notice that the front end is springy. Like a lot!

I can feel a major difference in the ride quality on both the front and the rear. Kinda fun, but just wondering if it's to be expected.

Triathlete
11/18/2010, 02:46 PM
So is there anyone else with OME 912's and Daystar spring isolators and the T bars cranked waaayyyy up, notice that the front end is springy. Like a lot!

I can feel a major difference in the ride quality on both the front and the rear. Kinda fun, but just wondering if it's to be expected.

You're not bottoming out on your bump stops any more.

Bob Barker
11/19/2010, 06:16 AM
Oooh, well that makes sense!

Bob Barker
11/23/2010, 03:34 AM
I finally got the roll of rubber I ordered almost a month ago! The material looks/feels super strong and is pretty thin so that it should be very plyable. Only down side is that it smells STRONG like a rubber factory! I'm going to have to lay it out in the sun and try to let it air out before I put it in my truck! I put the whole roll in the garage last night and it stunk up the entire house!

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 09:19 AM
My Hexomat's were the same way when I first got them. Ended up leaving them outside for about 24 hours and that seemed to do the trick.

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 09:21 AM
Did the CD changer to cubby hole replacement this weekend. Took all of 2 minutes to do, about 1:50 of that was pulling the lower bezel off. Still managed to break one of the three clips (:mad:) but fortunately the other two hold it on well enough that you'd never know the difference. Figure I will replace it if I ever come across a Rodeo bezel in the same color.

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 09:25 AM
Also applied a second coat of TS-1 the weekend before. I used only one pad the first go-round (about 5 weeks ago) and it started sprinkling as I was just starting the rear fenders and back door. I got B2B-style streaking about a week later, so I decided to give the cladding a good scrub and then use a second pad, this time working from the back to the front. All the panels look great now, and this stuff is much more impervious to dust and rain as B2B or that Meguiar's crap I tried a few months ago.

I think I can reasonably say that if you're not doing Gatorback, TS-1 is definitely what you need to be using. You're just throwing your money away by buying B2B.

PK
11/29/2010, 05:21 PM
I had noticed a small area of the drivers front seat getting threadbare (JDM's have cloth seats), so I finally swapped the front seats left to right.
You have to remove the seat mounting brackets off the seats so that you can do the swap, but that is only 8 bolts with fairly easy access.

Man, that "new" 13 year old Recaro wraps around your bum nice.:yesgray::yeso::yesy:

Even found a 100 yen coin under the seat.
Must be thanks to the previous owner.

PK

VX KAT
11/29/2010, 07:28 PM
Man, that "new" 13 year old Recaro wraps around your bum nice.:yesgray::yeso::yesy:
PK

So your bum http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0043.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net) http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Adult/1.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html)is happy now? :thumbup: Love those Recaros!

PittVXr
11/29/2010, 07:44 PM
Installed clear side markers today. I really like the way they look on an Astral. Kind of cleans up the look of the front end.

PK
11/29/2010, 08:26 PM
So your bum http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0043.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net) http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Adult/1.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html)is happy now? :thumbup: Love those Recaros!

You should see it Sue.

It has a smile from cheek to cheek.;ooo;:naughty::naughty::thumbup::thumbup:

PK

VX KAT
11/29/2010, 08:40 PM
:laugho::laugho: :freek: I'll bet!

Bob Barker
12/03/2010, 05:39 PM
Started the process of replacing all the carpet with the diamond plate style rubber/plastic flooring material. It's made for gym floors, but works great for me. At about 1/16" thick I think it's just the right size to be easily manipulated into corners and easy enough to cut. So far I'm happy.

On to the pics.

Starting with a VERY dirty interior!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior086.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior089.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior091.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior095.jpg
I began removing all the seats, seatbelts, and strap hooks. Only a few pieces of plastic trim actually had to be removed, the rest just pulls a little out of the way for everything to move around it.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior099.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior097.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior096.jpg
and finally all interior plastic/carpet/seats/hardware out of the way!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior101.jpg

Bob Barker
12/03/2010, 05:47 PM
I layed the 3 pieces of carpeting out on top of the roll of material and cut around them one at a time, leaving a few inches on each side to remove once I get it in the truck just incase I need it there.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior102.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior103.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior104.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior105.jpg
My wife even donned her beanie and braved these frigid Florida winter nights to help with trimming the pieces. :bwgy:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior106.jpg

I used a 3M adhesive spray bought from Home Depot for about $10. It works great.

For the rear cargo area I peeled the factory insulation pad from the back of the carpet and laid it back into place to help fill those ridges in some, to keep the doggies feet from hurtin'!
Once the insulation was back down, I trial fitted the first cut piece and trimmed a little where needed. The first cut fit suprisingly well, I think. I'm kind of proud of myself so far!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior108.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior109.jpg
I was a little worried about this corner, thinking I cut too much, but turns out it's in there juuuust right.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior110.jpg
And here's a full view from the back door.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/vehicrossinterior107.jpg

Ran out of time tonight. I'll have to finish it tomorrow afternoon, gotta do a little time at work in the morning, plus the corners for the middle section are being a major pain in the butt, so I think the warmer weather will help the rubber be more pliable and maybe easier to work with.

Will update tomorrow night if possible.
:bgwb:

Bob Barker
12/03/2010, 05:52 PM
Oh, and complete removal of the inerior, seats, carpet, trim, center dash, and any misc bolts took only about half an hour. The first piece took about an hour to cut, trial fit, glue and then find all the bolt holes for the tabs and seatbelts.

I think a solid 4 or 5 hours dedicated to this tomorrow and it will be finished completely.

vt_maverick
12/03/2010, 06:09 PM
Looks great Bob! :thumbup: Can't wait to see the finished product with everything back together.

Marlin
12/03/2010, 06:30 PM
Uh oh, I see a new project for me in the future....

Ldub
12/03/2010, 07:17 PM
Uh oh, I see a new project for me in the future....

We can hardly wait for the hourly updates...:yesgray:

Bob Barker
12/04/2010, 03:11 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/014-1.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/015.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/016.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/017.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/018.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/019.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/020.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/021.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/022.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/024.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/027.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/029.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/030.jpg

I ended up taking the trim pieces that cover the back speakers completely out to get the matrial all the way in there. Then bought some shiney sheet metal screws and used them sparingly to hold down the mat in different places, the rest was glued down.

I also kept the floor mats that were in there under the rubber mat where people's feets go, front and rear seets, to provide cushion and a little sound deadning since the carpet and insulation was removed. I'm VERY happy with the outcome, I'm not sure if the pictures do it justice.

Marlin
12/04/2010, 04:09 PM
I ended up taking the trim pieces that cover the back speakers completely out to get the matrial all the way in there. Then bought some shiney sheet metal screws and used them sparingly to hold down the mat in different places, the rest was glued down.

I also kept the floor mats that were in there under the rubber mat where people's feets go, front and rear seets, to provide cushion and a little sound deadning since the carpet and insulation was removed. I'm VERY happy with the outcome, I'm not sure if the pictures do it justice.

Looks awesome. I would take the center console out and put those pieces over the side pieces, so nothing can fall in there.

Bob Barker
12/04/2010, 04:59 PM
What pieces over what side pieces?

Marlin
12/04/2010, 05:16 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/VehiCROSS/029.jpg

Where the shot from above the center console, the rubber that is under the console should go over the rubber that goes under the seats, kind of like shingles. The highest piece should lap over the top of the lowest piece. Does that make sense? That way if anything falls, it doesn't fall under the rubber, but rather on top of the next layer. I believe it is photo number 129.

Ooops, 29

Bob Barker
12/04/2010, 05:25 PM
I see what your saying now. Good idea. It's not too much work to pull the center console pieces out and do that. Wish I had thought of that while everything was out of the truck.

Marlin
12/04/2010, 06:16 PM
Thats why we post things, to get more than one point of view:) (even if we don't listen to it most of the time...

IndianaVX
12/05/2010, 07:16 PM
Replacing head gaskets......started on Friday night.
Not a fun project.
Mbeach once said "never do a job yourself that makes
You hate your vehicle"
Well, I think I hate the engineers more than the truck.

Mile High VX
12/06/2010, 08:14 AM
PO made the Strick9 Rock Sliders removeable. They fill up with snow/ice in the Winter so I took them off. Concerned about the post rusting and they just looked bad so I made some caps...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0281.JPG

Bought some black PVC and caps at local Lowes

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0278.JPG

Cut into 4" pieces and capped with ends

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0279.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN02802.JPG

Fit was not snug, so I added some door weather stripping that I had to keep the water out.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0282.JPG

Looks better and should keep rusting to a minimum

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0283.JPG

vt_maverick
12/06/2010, 10:38 AM
Very nice! :thumbup:

Bob Barker
12/11/2010, 09:51 AM
It finally happened. Ripped the inner and outter boots on the drivers side...

I guess I'll be working on that next weekend, as I don't have the boots here...

Bob Barker
12/11/2010, 10:15 AM
Are the inner and outter boots the same part #? Called local Pep Boys and they said they have 2 and it's a "universal" kit. I guess I'd just have to turn it around and put it on the inside?

PS, how many hours did it take anyone else to do the change? I've got about 3 hours of day light left and don't want to start if I can't finish today. I'm pretty good mechanically... just can't pick up the parts until 3pm.

VX KAT
12/11/2010, 10:57 AM
Are the inner and outter boots the same part #? Called local Pep Boys and they said they have 2 and it's a "universal" kit. I guess I'd just have to turn it around and put it on the inside?

PS, how many hours did it take anyone else to do the change? I've got about 3 hours of day light left and don't want to start if I can't finish today. I'm pretty good mechanically... just can't pick up the parts until 3pm.

BB- Maybe want to do a search, there's quite a bit of recent info on CVs, model #s, how-to, etc.. Details on the boots, the joints, etc etc...