PDA

View Full Version : Oversize Tire Speedo Differential

snowtrooper1966
03/28/2009, 09:31 PM
Greetings!
Just pondering as I was driving the Dragon today....
If the oversize Nitto tires (285/60/18) affect the speedometer reading, that is I am actually travelling faster than the dash indicates, how does that affect the mileage reading? Do I have less than is on the readout? I wonder what the culminative affect of that discrepancy is over the years?
Best,

rowhard
03/28/2009, 09:56 PM
Greetings!
If the oversize Nitto tires (285/60/18) affect the speedometer reading, that is I am actually travelling faster than the dash indicates, how does that affect the mileage reading? Do I have less than is on the readout? I wonder what the culminative affect of that discrepancy is over the years?
Best,

the 285 is a 6% difference, so you are traveling faster then indicated and you will actually be traveling father then indicated. So, recheck you gas mileage using the .06 times your indicated mileage, then add your indicated mileage to this figure to get the actually distance's traveled.

snowtrooper1966
03/28/2009, 11:06 PM
So you are saying that I have traveled farther than my odometer is reading? Damn, I was trying to cheer myself up since I turned 70K this week, now it looks like I was 70K last year:(.....

don moore
03/29/2009, 12:27 AM
ahhh...WHAT????.....:eek:

rowhard
03/29/2009, 11:55 AM
So you are saying that I have traveled farther than my odometer is reading? Damn, I was trying to cheer myself up since I turned 70K this week, now it looks like I was 70K last year:(.....

yep, 2 inches every rpm of the tire, and if I did the math right, that would be 1 mile every 31680 rpm's.

sorry :(

P.S. I didn't take my shoes off when I figured that, so it could be off by who knows how much

nfpgasmask
03/29/2009, 12:57 PM
Yup, I haven't done the calculations, but yeah, that's how it works. I guess I actually change my oil every 3500 or so, and not 3000. I still go by the ODO though.

With my tires my speed is 7% off, calculated by using a GPS. I set my Scangauge to reflect the difference and now all is good.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
03/29/2009, 01:33 PM
So how could I calculate how far my ODO is off if I have had these tires on for say, 10K miles?
Best,

rowhard
03/29/2009, 01:55 PM
So how could I calculate how far my ODO is off if I have had these tires on for say, 10K miles?
Best,

I'll get back to you, need to take my shoes off to figure that one:confused:

rowhard
03/29/2009, 04:58 PM
I'll get back to you, need to take my shoes off to figure that one:confused:

got it, trying to explain it to me girlfriend who, bless her heart isn't into math, the answer popped into my head. it's 10k times .06 plus 10k SOOOOOOOOOOO

10000 x .06 = 600 + 10000 = 10600. So it was proable 3 weeks ago when you cracked 70k

Now I'm really sorry snowtrooper:(

Gussie2000
03/29/2009, 05:12 PM
got it, trying to explain it to me girlfriend who, bless her heart isn't into math, the answer popped into my head. it's 10k times .06 plus 10k SOOOOOOOOOOO

10000 x .06 = 600 + 10000 = 10600. So it was proable 3 weeks ago when you cracked 70k

Now I'm really sorry snowtrooper:(

Wow that's sad though ! :(

I replaced the stock shoes for 20x9 rims,the tyres are 275/45R20 which means my speedo are somehow outter the speedo angle :rolleyes:

rowhard
03/29/2009, 05:23 PM
Wow that's sad though ! :(

I replaced the stock shoes for 20x9 rims,the tyres are 275/45R20 which means my speedo are somehow outter the speedo angle :rolleyes:

would you believe there is only 1/10 of a inch difference between those rubber bands you call tires and the OEM tire:bgwg:

VehiGAZ
03/29/2009, 06:04 PM
Greetings!
Best,

The Great Goog answers all... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Riff Raff
03/29/2009, 08:07 PM
The Great Goog answers all... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

VehiGAZ--- Thanx!!! What a cool website. According to the calculator, ROWHARD's example should have been 6.4% (not 6.0%). However, ROWHARD was right there in the ball-park and gave a great 3rd grade explanation (I liked 3rd grade). Therefore, thanx goes out to you ROWHARD as well (AIM HIGH!!!).

rowhard
03/29/2009, 08:15 PM
VehiGAZ--- Thanx!!! What a cool website. According to the calculator, ROWHARD's example should have been 6.4% (not 6.0%). However, ROWHARD was right there in the ball-park and gave a great 3rd grade explanation (I liked 3rd grade). Therefore, thanx goes out to you ROWHARD as well (AIM HIGH!!!).

Thanks Brian. That web site is the one I used to get these sizes.

Yes, the point 4.

Kind of like, measure it with a optical micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it with a axe.

and excuse me, that is 4th grade fingering

Baxman
03/29/2009, 08:32 PM
Beware of the handy online tire calculators. They are acurate for passenger tires but not necessarily for off-road tires which are taller than same-size passenger tires.

After putting new, oversized BFG ATs on fresh new American Racing chromed alloys I made my way to Moab for ZuZoo. Before leaving, I checked the online tire calculator which told that the speedo would read 3% slow. As I was cutting across the NE corner of Oregon a very nice state cop used laser to show me the inacuracy of the online calculator. After months of letter-writing to the court in LaGrand, the very nice judge changed the charge from speeding, to "faulty equipment" but it still cost me something over $100.

Borrow or buy a GPS, then you'll know for sure!

tom4bren
03/30/2009, 05:35 AM
Your ODO is off by the same amount as the Speedo. GPS is the easiest way to determine the change. Running 33's, my speedo is off by 'zackly 10% (according to TomTom). So my ODO is off by that amount as well.

If you don't have access to a GPS, try using the mile markers on your next road trip. Reset your trip ODO at the 34.0 mile marker (or whatever location you're actually at:)). Check the reading at the 44.0 mile marker. You should do this several times to make sure the survey crews weren't drinking when they laid out the markers.

For those anal retentive Peeps who have to know PRECISELY what the correct reading is - you should check this periodically during the life of the tires as the correction factor will change slightly as your tires wear. It's all based on the rolling diameter of the tire.

BTW, if you regear, you'll have to do this same sort of correction as well.

VehiGAZ
03/30/2009, 07:25 AM
Beware of the handy online tire calculators. They are acurate for passenger tires but not necessarily for off-road tires which are taller than same-size passenger tires.

Good point - the tire size specs for off-road tires work differently, but they would not even work with the tire size calculator I linked to.

That said, don't forget that any particular speedometer may be off to some degree - even two different cars of the exact same model & year. Baxman's speedo may have been off before he switched tires, and the new tires only exacerbated the problem.

Garmin GPS says that my VX's speedo is reading exactly correctly at highway speeds. All of our other vehicles are off by up to 4 mph at 80 mph.

snowtrooper1966
03/30/2009, 08:09 AM
Yikes!
So if I am understanding this correctly, my ODO is off by (+-)640 miles per 10K?

tom4bren
03/30/2009, 09:33 AM
"my ODO is off by (+-)640 miles per 10K?"

Yup - but that's a good thing. If you ever decide to sell, you'll be showing less miles than actually accumulated.

crotchrocket
03/30/2009, 09:46 AM
Well My Tom Tom is a liar!!! Its always reading too fast and now i have put 32" tyres on instead of 29" i am doing the same speed as the Tom Tom says i am (if you follow me)

So i have a KPH reading from the dash thats wrong
A mph reading from the scan guage thats wrong
and a mph reading from the TOm Tom thats wrong

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

nfpgasmask

How did you set the scan guage to work correctly with the new tyre OD ???

rowhard
03/30/2009, 03:35 PM
How did you set the scan guage to work correctly with the new tyre OD ???
do you have the little manual that came with the scan gauge? the math was in there, but if not, I can dig mine out

snowtrooper1966
03/30/2009, 06:03 PM
"my ODO is off by (+-)640 miles per 10K?"

Yup - but that's a good thing. If you ever decide to sell, you'll be showing less miles than actually accumulated.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Best,

tom4bren
03/31/2009, 07:49 AM
"BLASPHEMY!!!!!"

Sorry - the force musta left me for a moment:)

snowtrooper1966
03/31/2009, 08:46 AM
That's OK.
With the offset you roll around on, you have alot of leeway around here in my book ;)
Also, love the pic you posted in the "all proton's check in here thread", with snow on your VX. There is actually little piles building up un your tires!
Priceless!
You da man!
Best,

tom4bren
03/31/2009, 09:28 AM
"There is actually little piles building up un your tires!"

That pic you posted a while back with 3 feet of snow on the roof of your Dragon would've been great with my Proton parked nearby.:)

You should see the 'waterfall effect' while driving in the rain.

"With the offset you roll around on..."

Yah, I had a kit of foxes build a nest in one of the rims last fall:)

snowtrooper1966
03/31/2009, 10:14 AM
If you ever care to experience some of the best sking / snowboarding in the US, you have an open invitation to park next to the Dragon and a place to stay!
If you attended the 4th of July Mammoth Campout / 4x adventure you could park next to a bunch of VX's!

Now if you could have just trained those foxes to run on top of the tires while you were driving....Think hamster wheel on steriods!

Best,

tom4bren
03/31/2009, 11:18 AM
"If you attended the 4th of July Mammoth Campout / 4x adventure"

Sorry - takin the wife & kids to Niagara Falls that weekend.