PDA

View Full Version : infinity FX45 muffler

pbkid
03/29/2009, 12:16 PM
hey guys...i dont know the technical stuff about mufflers so i figured i would ask the conglomerate (is that how you spell it?)...

so the PV2 im currently running is starting to get on my nerves..i dont know if its just getting old (bought it used almost 3 years ago), or if having a noisy car just gets old ;)

anyhow, i was looking to possibly upgrade this summer...
i LOVE the way the infinity FX45 sounds...so i thought to myself, maybe i can just get a FX45 muffler and have someone weld it on the VX...

questions-
1. is the back pressure going to be WAY off (either + or -), causing engine trouble...

2. is it going to sound remotely the same? different motors so i dont know what to expect.

thanks guys,
jack

crotchrocket
03/29/2009, 03:58 PM
:rolleyes:

rowhard
03/29/2009, 04:28 PM
it does sound nice, but isn't that a V8? two more power strokes makes a world of difference in sound

samneil2000
03/29/2009, 05:10 PM
it does sound nice, but isn't that a V8? two more power strokes makes a world of difference in sound

Yep, FX45 has 4.5 liter V8. FX35 has 3.5 liter V6. I'd be happy with the sound of the G35 though :bgwb:

Gussie2000
03/29/2009, 05:15 PM
I agreed with sam on this one.

The FX45 sounds louder because of the additional power by the V8 engine so if you are looking for some alike muffler sound you may want to drop a V8 too in there too :p

Gussie2000
03/29/2009, 05:16 PM
:rolleyes:

By the way crotch,your VX isn;t more any standard ;)

etlsport
03/29/2009, 06:05 PM
im pretty sure the Fx45 also has 2 mufflers.. i know its got dual exhaust

VehiGAZ
03/29/2009, 06:13 PM
Not even remotely the same. It's not just the muffler that determines the sound, it's also what goes into the muffler that makes a big difference too, as has been discussed.

I'm a big promoter of the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (let's count the threads...). The FlowMawster I originally put in was brutally loud, but the 2.5" exhaust and the high-flow attributes of the muffler made for real nice performance. You have a similar upgraded exhaust system now, so any restricted muffler (including the FX's) will be very quiet but will slow you down. We don't want that.

The Dynomax Super Turbo has higher flow than the FlowMaster, but is far quieter, while still emanating a distinctly non-stock rumbly sound. And it's only like $60 delivered. Install will depend on the size of the PowerVault muffler relative to the Dynomax. I can't recommend it enough.

Good luck!

pbkid
03/29/2009, 06:44 PM
see...like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4XhH6AWw0&feature=related

that sounds mean to me...a little high pitched at high rpm but sounds great at idle...

vehigaz, do you have any type of soundclip for that exhaust??

rowhard
03/29/2009, 06:50 PM
a little high pitched at high rpm

can you say RICEY

and that isn't even an American spec which means more power. My Morgan tech sounds as good

pbkid
03/29/2009, 09:39 PM
agreed..i love the morgan tech stuff but i dont think he is making products anymore..

and i dont think 'infiniti' would agree with you much on the 'riceyness'

crotchrocket
03/30/2009, 01:49 AM
By the way crotch,your VX isn;t more any standard ;)

Wasn't that, it just made me chuckle thats all!! No offence pbkid but putting the exhaust from a v8 car on a v6 isn't going to make it sound like a V8, lol

Would be amazing if it did though!!! Everyone would have one

VehiGAZ
03/30/2009, 06:30 AM
vehigaz, do you have any type of soundclip for that exhaust??

As it happens, I just tried to record my exhaust note for PittVX, but was unsatisfied with the results I got from the equipment I had to work with. An exhaust note has lots of highs and lots of lows, and a cell phone or camera just can't capture both ends of the sound - you need pro audio equipment to record it, and a very good sound system to replay it. By that same token, don't expect that your new muffler is going to sound just like a recording you hear on youtube.

The Dynomax has a very nice idle - not as deep and bellowy as a FlowMaster, but definitely aggressive without being ricey or raspy - for lack of a better description, it barks when you prod the gas pedal. I don't know what it sounds like from the outside at speed, though. Inside the cabin, you hear it a bit, but it seems somewhat distant even at full howl. By contrast, the FlowMaster was so loud inside that it sounded like it had been piped up into the cargo area.

My advice to you is to suck up the expense and hassle and try out different mufflers until you find one that you are happy with - but start with the Dynomax Super Turbo series. The fact is that there is just no other way to predict what any particular muffler is going to sound like on your particular exhaust set up while you are standing next to it or driving it.

Good luck!

etlsport
03/30/2009, 07:18 AM
on a similar note, does anyone have experience with intercooled exhaust tips?

im looking for a way to quiet the pv2 just a hair.. was thinking about an exhaust insert, but saw these tips from borla.. says they cool the exhaust air, mellowing sound, and i could lose the megaphone style stock exhaust tip.. anyone tried somethin like this? maybe that would help you too pb?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOR-20104&N=700+4294922677+4294923429+4294783510+400310+115&autoview=sku

pbkid
03/30/2009, 09:21 AM
on a similar note, does anyone have experience with intercooled exhaust tips?

im looking for a way to quiet the pv2 just a hair.. was thinking about an exhaust insert, but saw these tips from borla.. says they cool the exhaust air, mellowing sound, and i could lose the megaphone style stock exhaust tip.. anyone tried somethin like this? maybe that would help you too pb?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOR-20104&N=700+4294922677+4294923429+4294783510+400310+115&autoview=sku

ya, i really like the PV2 at low RPM and when slowly accelerating, but driving 80 or 85 it gets really annoying... i was thinking of trying a silencer but i wasnt sure how well they worked...and they are kinda pricey..

pbkid
03/30/2009, 09:24 AM
No offence pbkid but putting the exhaust from a v8 car on a v6 isn't going to make it sound like a V8, lol

well i mistaked the fx45 for the 35....
i was looking for the sound out of the FX35...its a 3.5L V6 (same size as our motors) because i figured with the same size motor it should sound about the same...

i realize that my V6 is never going to sound like a V8 lol....i dont like the sound of V8's, personally, with how noisy all V8's seem to be. it just gets annoying to me, not sounding good. i am just looking for something a little quieter than what i have right now, with some rumble left over

Kenny
03/30/2009, 09:36 AM
I also would kill (and I have a list) for an exhaust that sounds a bit electronic like an FX, but the challenges are numerous to match all the exact conditions.

I think the biggest challenge is fitting the entire FX system under our truck.
I'm not sure, but I would guess the infinity FX would have a 1-in-2-out muffler. Things get more crammed if it so happens to have two mufflers...

Also I think we would be taking a bit of a horsepower hit with a stock FX muffler system.

Jack, for a quick "easy" fix, see about throwing on a glasspack resonator after your PV if you have room. I had to to quiet my magnaflow down, worked quite well... see my gallery for how I had to stuff those glass packs in right before the tips. I'm probably going to also add resonator tips for a bit more of a tone down, sooner or later.

I had a MorganTec 1-in-2-out and it was an amazing growl, but with no glass packing or flow blending it developed a huge resonation at 50mph. At 65mph, it sounded a bit like you were in a small plane... Fun for a while, but attracted too much "attention".

crotchrocket
03/30/2009, 09:39 AM
well i mistaked the fx45 for the 35....
i was looking for the sound out of the FX35...its a 3.5L V6 (same size as our motors) because i figured with the same size motor it should sound about the same...

i realize that my V6 is never going to sound like a V8 lol....i dont like the sound of V8's, personally, with how noisy all V8's seem to be. it just gets annoying to me, not sounding good. i am just looking for something a little quieter than what i have right now, with some rumble left over

I get ya :D

The infinity would be the sklyline here wouldn't it? yep, does sound good! I'd love my VX to sound like my 300zx which again is a 3ltr V6 but we'll see how it goes, i started another thread last week ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15294 ) about what to do but looks like i will make my own then i can have it how i want to !!!!

VehiGAZ
03/30/2009, 11:42 AM
was thinking of trying a silencer but i wasnt sure how well they worked...and they are kinda pricey..

Yeah, resonators/silencers are pretty uncommon, so they are mostly hand-made, which makes them cost 3-5x the price of a muffler from the same manufacturer. The effect of one is also unpredictable, and you have to find a highly-motivated exhaust guy to get it to fit underneath a VX along with that monster PV of yours. Even if you find the guy, he will probably have to rehang the PV as well, so you will be looking at a full-price installation... $250 or more for the install, plus $200 for the resonator, and no one knows what you will end up with.

I'll say with confidence that you will like the improvement of the Dynomax, PB, both in terms of sound quality and level, as well as vehicle performance. I'm not going to say it anymore, though - I'm just a guy with the same problem/complaint as you who was 100% happy with this solution, which also happens to be the cheapest. Clearly, that's not much reason to consider my advice... :bwgy:

Good luck!

pbkid
03/30/2009, 01:13 PM
vehigaz-
no, by no means am i saying that your suggestion is not any good...in fact its the most reasonably priced, and the most proven....so most likely that is the route i will go...i just want to explore all of my options before i decide on something..

kenny-
yes you are correct...the infinity has a 1-to-2 then 2 smaller mufflers after that...i found that out after i already suggested the idea...therefore its not very likely considering with that much muffler under my car, one of them would definately get ripped off while wheeling ;)

Knigh7s
03/30/2009, 02:56 PM
If you have the money and a welder at hand, you can go down this route (http://www.racinglab.com/apexi-ecv-155-a014.html). I've thought about getting one installed. I know a couple of guys that have a similar one that is controlled by solenoid instead of wire cable. Keeps it nice and quiet till you really want the extra airflow/sound...

Travelin2
03/30/2009, 08:35 PM
I found this while looking to quiet my Flowmaster.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04sport.asp

crotchrocket
03/31/2009, 07:06 AM
One thing i forgot to mention is that my zx has a true twin exhaust, ie one cylinder bank to one and the other bank to the other exhaust and it sounds very different when people put a single exit system on.

The G35 looks like a twin but don't know if there are twin pipes or two seperate exhaust pipes?

I personally always prefered the sound of the skyline to the 300zx so i guess i prefere a single exit exhaust anyway.

VehiGAZ
03/31/2009, 08:49 AM
vehigaz-
no, by no means am i saying that your suggestion is not any good...in fact its the most reasonably priced, and the most proven....so most likely that is the route i will go...i just want to explore all of my options before i decide on something..

Fair enough PB. Sorry - I didn't mean to sound like I was insisting you follow my suggestion either! Just painting a picture...

And just so I'm really clear - the Dynomax still has plenty of sound to it, but it's like 70% of the volume the FlowMaster put out. What you said about the PV - (paraphrased) that it sounds great at idle but is just a loud, obnoxious drone at highway speeds - I said about the FM that I hated so much. The Dynomax still has a better-than-stock sound to it at idle, but it doesn't fill the entire cabin with exhaust roar at cruising speeds....

BigSwede
03/31/2009, 02:24 PM
FWIW I have put Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on both my Troopers. If you get the 20" body models, they have a nice mellow throb at idle, you hear them on accel, but they are pretty quiet at cruise, you don't even notice it. The 14" body models are too loud, pretty much like the PV.

I put the 17748 model on my Troopers, it has the 2.5" pipe size which is good for a 3.5L.

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/pdfs/superturbo.pdf

pbkid
03/31/2009, 02:30 PM
lookin like the dynomax is the preferred method...

Kenny
03/31/2009, 04:53 PM

Dual-in-Dual-out!:bwgr::bwgr:

BigSwede
04/01/2009, 07:09 AM

[shrug] I'm sure there are other choices out there, but I doubt they are less expensive, and I know the Dynomax works, without being restrictive.

t2p
07/11/2009, 01:36 PM
Liked the sound of the FX45 so much (that) I purchased one.

SilverBullet75
07/11/2009, 03:48 PM
I gotta chime in... Never tried or heard the Dynomax, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Cherry Bomb Vortex. I had the Flowmaster Super40, liked the sound, hated the performance. Switched to the CB Vortex... MUCH more tame on the sound level, yet still gets attention. More spaghetti than ricey, IMO. HP and MPG back up to where they "should" be. I hit 350 miles (range) on city/hwy last week... could NEVER come close to that with the Flowmaster (more like 280ish).
But... not an apples to apples comparison.. I understand. (single in/out muffler)

---JIM---