PDA

View Full Version : Differential Questions

LittleBeast
03/31/2009, 11:03 AM
I have been searching and have found quite a few threads on here on this subject, but I have not found definitive answers to these 2 questions and was wondering if any one of you knows for sure.

2 questions:

#1 - Do we have a LSD in the front? The VX knowledge base on here says:
CHASSIS SPECS Drivetrain: Rear/AWD, four-speed automatic transmission w/overdrive, automatic transfer case, limited slip differentials.
What does "limited slip differentials" mean? Does that mean that we have LSD in front and rear and if I put my 4.78 3rd members in front I will loose the LSD on the front?

#2 - Can you put the hard to find 4.78 ring gear on our stock LSD in the rear? Basically can I put the stock LSD from the rear on the new 4.78? If not I guess I will get the Aussie Locker for the rear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Triathlete
03/31/2009, 11:11 AM
The answer to #1 is no. The VX has an open front dif.
#2 I am not sure of. Matt at Indy 4x is very knowledgable on this though and should be able to answer you questions! And IF the answer is no he can hook you up with the locker you will be seeking.
Sounds as if your beast is becoming even beastlier!

LittleBeast
03/31/2009, 11:33 AM
Our Isuzu Corp 10-bolt front shares same carrier and carrier bearings with 10-bolt rear (has thinner ring gear than 10-bolt rear pinion) and shares same pinion bearings with 10-bolt rear, and it is most common for the 10-bolt to be open however, the LSD from rear drive turbo Impulse, could be used in 10-bolt front..... hmmm..... Would this be safe with the TOD?

Info found here: http://www.zu4x.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

Our Isuzu Corp 12-bolt (rear) has an open, clutch-plate LSD, and it is listed under the same bracket with all the same specs as the 4.78 gears, so I am assuming you could switch out the LSD from the VX to the 4.78 gears, but I still do not know why the 4.78 do not have a LSD in them already, I guess they came open in the big wheel option, hmmm.....

Billy thanks so much on #1 I really appreciate it, and yes I will call Indy that is a great idea thanks.