PDA

View Full Version : Shifting into 4th late?

MustangO4
04/09/2009, 10:24 AM
I searched around some and have not found this exact problem. Sometimes, not always, when getting on the freeway my VX shifts fine through 1st and 2nd and into 3rd, but doesn't get out of 3rd at the time I have become used to. It will continue to wind up, even with little load on it. It shifts if I totally let off the gas though. It only stays in 3rd a little too long, maybe 5 seconds, but I'd rather address a problem now if I can. I am going to do the trans service again, it has been about 20k since the last service, but any other ideas??

tom4bren
04/09/2009, 11:06 AM
Turn off your power mode:confused:

vt_maverick
04/09/2009, 11:35 AM
I have a similar problem; my VX seems to never shift into 5th gear. :p

MustangO4
04/09/2009, 11:59 AM

I have it off. I may try it with it on for a while.

tom4bren
04/09/2009, 12:42 PM
couldn't hurt & some people prefer it anyway.

AlaskaVX
04/09/2009, 12:45 PM
Up here in AK I think all the Vehicross's do this, mainly when cold during winter time, after a 15 minutes of driving everything is fine again :confused:

Mine has done this for a long time (5 years), so don't be too worried of tranny going out or anything. It is very annoying, on my way to work in the morning, 5 miles highway, 3-4 of those miles are in 3rd gear

nfpgasmask
04/09/2009, 01:14 PM

That's what I was gonna say. When in power mode, my VX will either upshift harshly or rev real high (like up to 6000RPMs) if I give it too much gas when in Power Mode. Sounds like this could be your problem?

Bart

Marlin
04/09/2009, 04:29 PM
I searched around some and have not found this exact problem. Sometimes, not always, when getting on the freeway my VX shifts fine through 1st and 2nd and into 3rd, but doesn't get out of 3rd at the time I have become used to. It will continue to wind up, even with little load on it. It shifts if I totally let off the gas though. It only stays in 3rd a little too long, maybe 5 seconds, but I'd rather address a problem now if I can. I am going to do the trans service again, it has been about 20k since the last service, but any other ideas??

Mine does it too, and I just had the tranny serviced <1500 miles ago. Power mode is completely different though, it reprograms the puter to shift at a higher RPM, thus giving you more "power".

VehiGAZ
04/10/2009, 05:56 AM
Mustang, check your motor oil, too. Very low engine oil will affect the transmission behavior.

WormGod
04/10/2009, 07:57 AM
I find that with Power ON, 4th will shift late, almost always. I let off the gas just a tad bit and it will shift.

I don't believe I ever had the issue with Power OFF. All shifts tend to be reliable and consistent (when you aren't getting the trademark VX clunk that is).

As has been said already, check the motor and tranny drink. I don't think it is really an issue though as they all do it to some extent.