PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near McMinnville, OR??

nfpgasmask
04/15/2009, 10:41 AM
I am looking for a nice 1991 Isuzu Trooper with an auto tranny. Automatics seem to be kinda hard to find. This one looks pretty nice, but the dealer is asking way too much. I just talked to them on the phone however and they said the price is negotiable.

If anyone is close by that can take a look at it for me sometime, that would be great. No rush, but I don't want to move on this one unless someone can peep it for me.

Here's the link:

1991 Trooper (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=259625166&dealer_id=567558&car_year=1991&engine=&fuel=&sort_type=priceDESC&systime=&default_sort=priceDESC&drive=&style_flag=1&body_code=0&seller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=TROOP&keywords_display=&advanced=&distance=0&doors=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&rdm=1239817025672&marketZipError=false&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&transmission=&model2=TRP2&max_price=&max_mileage=&end_year=1991&make=ISU&start_year=1991&certified=&num_records=25&make3=&make2=ISU&address=89521&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&cardist=440&standard=false)

Thanks - Bart

don moore
04/15/2009, 10:50 AM
its by Salem..... i could go check it for you if someone that lives there wont..
its just a hour away .. i could use a drive

nfpgasmask
04/15/2009, 11:42 AM
its by Salem..... i could go check it for you if someone that lives there wont..
its just a hour away .. i could use a drive

That would be great, but that is kinda far. I mean, if you don't care and have nothing to do, that would be awesome. The Trooper has been there a while and I don't think it will be going anywhere fast, so no hurry.

Thanks!!!!!

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/15/2009, 11:43 AM
Obviously, if you do decide to go, let me know when so I can make sure its there and stuff. Plus I have a list of things I will want to know.

Thanks again to anyone who can help!

Bart

JAFO
04/15/2009, 03:16 PM
I can take a look it tomorrow if you want.

Looking at the pictures it looks like someone cut out a section of the rear carpet. I'm not sure is that the original interior, or did some one have it re-done.

nfpgasmask
04/15/2009, 03:37 PM
I can take a look it tomorrow if you want.

Looking at the pictures it looks like someone cut out a section of the rear carpet. I'm not sure is that the original interior, or did some one have it re-done.

Oh sweet! Yeah man! If you can pop in there and maybe take it for a little drive and see how it runs, that would be great. Here is a little list I would like to know about it:

1) Does it run good?
2) How is the trans? Shifting ok?
3) Any major rust on the body?
4) Looking underneath, any major rust on the frame?
5) Again, underneath, anything look like it's leaking?
6) Any funny odors in the car?
7) Does the 4x4 engage and work?
8) Are there any maintenance records at all?
9) Check the oil and make sure it is full and not milky
10) Anything else I should know about

Man, it would be excellent if you have the time to check it out and take her on a test drive. Like I said, I am looking to move on a Trooper just like this one pretty soon. As long as the interior doesn't stink like an ashtray or something worse, I don't care about the missing carpet. I will be ripping all that out and replacing with bed liner anyhow.

THANKS!

Bart

KeithVXlvr
04/15/2009, 04:12 PM
It is midnight blue, dude.

You better keep searching.

nfpgasmask
04/15/2009, 04:16 PM
It is midnight blue, dude.

You better keep searching.

LOL. I knew someone was going to make a comment on that. :D Don't worry, the way it looks now is not how it will look when I am done with it. That said, there is a good chance it won't be TOTALLY black. I have some ideas...that I must bring to reality!

;) Bart

PS - I don't think I have ever seen a black 1st gen Trooper....

don moore
04/15/2009, 11:00 PM
i thought that would work....good job.....

Triathlete
04/15/2009, 11:21 PM
Don't know if you are dead set on a Trooper but here are a few other Zu's that would be a good start for a trail rig...
Amigo (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=29332)
Rodeo (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=28131)

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 08:25 AM
Don't know if you are dead set on a Trooper but here are a few other Zu's that would be a good start for a trail rig...
Amigo (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=29332)
Rodeo (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=28131)

Well, to be bluntly honest, I find the Rodeo pretty damn ugly. And the the Amigo puts me back in the same boat as the VX, small and only 2 doors. I really want something 4-door so I can haul more people comfortably. I also really want a 1st generation Trooper because to be bluntly honest, I don't care for the later model Troopers so much. I mean, if it comes down to it, I may end up with a 94-96 Trooper, but I really would like a 1st gen. I just love that old school boxy look.

I'm sure you are familiar with his rig, but I absolutely love Justwork's 1991 Trooper.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2534/2041/31333520002_medium.jpg

He did a really nice job on his, and it is the main inspiration for what I will do to mine. Obviously, I have a few different things in mind, but this is basically what I will be going for.

:) Bart

CrnCnn
04/16/2009, 08:42 AM
Bluntly Honest? I think the troopers are ugly, no matter what year.

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 09:40 AM
Bluntly Honest? I think the troopers are ugly, no matter what year.

:D If I had the money, I would just buy one of these instead:

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!BQc09mwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvEUjBJ49KK7yoQ~~_12.JPG

But, I actually do like the boxy look of the first gen Troops. I plan to deck mine out as a "poor man's Defender". :)

Bart

JAFO
04/17/2009, 10:00 PM
E-mail sent with pictures.

Let me know if you want me to go back for more information.

etlsport
04/18/2009, 08:04 PM
:D If I had the money, I would just buy one of these instead:

But, I actually do like the boxy look of the first gen Troops. I plan to deck mine out as a "poor man's Defender". :)

Bart

bart there is a really nice looking old defender for sale at a dealership up the street from me, its the color of the one in that pic, 2 door with a black soft top and some beefy tires.. if you want i can take a peek at it for you

nfpgasmask
04/18/2009, 08:45 PM
bart there is a really nice looking old defender for sale at a dealership up the street from me, its the color of the one in that pic, 2 door with a black soft top and some beefy tires.. if you want i can take a peek at it for you

Well, is it $2000 or less??? :D

Bart

VX KAT
04/19/2009, 07:30 PM
LOL. I knew someone was going to make a comment on that. :D Don't worry, the way it looks now is not how it will look when I am done with it. That said, there is a good chance it won't be TOTALLY black. I have some ideas...that I must bring to reality!

;) Bart

PS - I don't think I have ever seen a black 1st gen Trooper....
Hey Bart- Here's a black one, now you can have both a black and a blue and your legend is preserved!:laugho:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250401815258
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fefb_10.jpg

nfpgasmask
04/20/2009, 09:00 AM
BIG HUGE THANKS

goes out to JAFO for taking the time to swing by the dealership for me and get some details!!!

It is information just like he provided that you simply cannot see from afar!!!

This really helps, and JAFO, I think I am going to keep searching. Those photos you sent and your comments definitely make it sounds like this Troop may have sustained some significant damage. Depending on how things go, I may come back around to this one and offer the dealer a super low price, given your info, and at that point I may ask you to give her a test drive to make sure the frame isn't jacked. But for now, I think I will keep searching!

Again, thanks so much for doing this! This is the reason this forum rules!!!

:D :thumbup: Bart

JAFO
05/06/2009, 03:01 PM
Bart, Your inbox was full when I replied to your message. I found another Trooper yesterday but I didn't have time to stop. I'll look at it tonight on my way to the RX-7 club meeting in Portland.

nfpgasmask
05/06/2009, 03:34 PM
Bart, Your inbox was full when I replied to your message.

LOL! I just got the email! Looks like my subscription just ran out!!! Time to pay up!

I found another Trooper yesterday but I didn't have time to stop. I'll look at it tonight on my way to the RX-7 club meeting in Portland.

Is it a 1st gen (91 or earlier)? If so, let me know the details! And thanks, man! You're the best!!!

Bart

JAFO
05/07/2009, 12:37 PM
Yep, it's a first, but it's a manual 5 speed. Sign just said make offer. I'll send you the pictures tonight.

nfpgasmask
05/07/2009, 01:27 PM
Yep, it's a first, but it's a manual 5 speed. Sign just said make offer. I'll send you the pictures tonight.

Cool man, thanks. There is a really nice one in Oakland right now too. I just need a little more money!!!! ARGGGG.

Bart