PDA

View Full Version : speedometer not working

zadam123
04/22/2009, 01:59 PM
today i noticed mt speed was on zero while driving . i hit the dash and it jumped slightly and went back to 0. after a while it started working again. then turned off the car and when started driving again same not working. i have a avic n4 radio which tells your speed and that wasnt working either. any ideas

Anita
04/22/2009, 09:35 PM
I cant remember what happened when mine went out.. but one thing it did do. The check engine light came on after a while of driving. I immediately called my mechanic from where I was and he said the light came on as a result.

Sprey
04/22/2009, 11:52 PM
Faultly speed sender unit ? maybe

zadam123
04/23/2009, 04:39 AM
is there a fuse that works it if not do i have to take my dash apart to check connections?

Ldub
04/23/2009, 07:02 AM
is there a fuse that works it if not do i have to take my dash apart to check connections?

Also, check the connection(s) where the wiring harness connects to the trans.
I've experienced this in the past.:_wrench:

VehiGAZ
04/23/2009, 10:26 AM
zadam, in case you haven't seen it, I posted some advice about your spastic ToD system problem in the other htread you started.

Good luck!

zadam123
04/24/2009, 05:07 PM
Also, check the connection(s) where the wiring harness connects to the trans.
I've experienced this in the past.:_wrench:

THis is under the car right? what exactaly am i looking for?

thanks

zadam123
04/24/2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks VehiGAZ , not sure what post you will see first but if this is it i asked if you know where that harness is or what it looks like

zadam123
05/05/2009, 05:48 AM
Faultly speed sender unit ? maybe

does anyone know what this looks like or where it is located?

Ldub
05/05/2009, 06:08 AM
THis is under the car right? what exactaly am i looking for?

thanks

does anyone know what this looks like or where it is located?

I believe it's on the trans...the best way to do it, is to just DO IT!

Crawl under and look, see where the wires connect to the trans & give the plug ins a little wiggle to make sure everything is making contact.
Trace the wiring harness from the trans, back over the exhaust & look for scorched or melted wires.

You may be surprised at how much you can learn by just getting "hands on & dirty" with your VX...:_wrench:

don moore
05/05/2009, 09:59 AM
good reason to SPEED now ....".OMG officer i didnt notice till you pulled me over that my speedo went out"..."thankyou for stoping me ..i better get it fixed"....:p

Sprey
05/06/2009, 03:00 AM
good reason to SPEED now ....".OMG officer i didnt notice till you pulled me over that my speedo went out"..."thankyou for stoping me ..i better get it fixed"....:p

Speaking of that !. Ive forgotten a few times that my speedo is slower cause of the new tires and been doing 60 on a speedo in a 50k zone. when realy im doing 65 or so . anything 10km over the speed is a ticket. yikes only for a few seconds tho.

zadam123
05/07/2009, 04:18 PM
I believe it's on the trans...the best way to do it, is to just DO IT!

Crawl under and look, see where the wires connect to the trans & give the plug ins a little wiggle to make sure everything is making contact.
Trace the wiring harness from the trans, back over the exhaust & look for scorched or melted wires.

You may be surprised at how much you can learn by just getting "hands on & dirty" with your VX...:_wrench:

ok i looked at the service manual and that pic or discription dont explain exactaly where it is so i had a oil change today and looked is this the speed sensor?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vx18.jpg

THe guy told me its not and said the speedsensor is hidden and you cant see it ( i think he didnt know what he was talking about). Help!

Also i wanted to change my diffrental fluids since i really cant remember the last time i did it and he told me dont do it cause it will cause more problems if you mess with it, like getting air in the sysetm and causing leaks. is this true ?

etlsport
05/07/2009, 08:46 PM
pfffft.. change your diff fluids.. its easy to do.. as for getting air in the system.. both differentials have open air tubes coming out the top for letting air in and out :rollb: