PDA

View Full Version : Abs light :(

whatisthat1
04/26/2009, 01:34 AM
May I start by thanking you all for sharing your immense knowledge in this amazing little vehicle. I just purchased one and unfortunately, cannot get it through the safety inspection due to a persistant ABS light being on. It is constant and not flashing. The code that comes up manually, was 12. I believe this to mean everything is ok, yet the light keeps coming back on. The ABS is functioning correctly but it does appear that the brake fluid has sediment at the bottom of it. Could this be the cause ? The mechanic and I are baffled and upon the light returning back on, (upon start up) it now has no codes showing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i anxious to start enjoying my new addition and I am so thankful for finding fellow enthusiasts to this little known SUV. I am new to this forum but wish to send my condolences to the family that has had a recent loss. It sounds like Tone was a real gentleman, a great person and was very helpful, knowledgable and a friend to many here

etlsport
04/26/2009, 06:51 AM
first welcome to the forum.. using the search feature at the top of the page will answer 75% of your questions you may have, this website has been really active for the 3 years ive owned my vx and im sure long before that, so almost every topic has been covered

as for your abs light, im not sure what code 12 is, but you can download the tech manual for the VX in the downloads section to the left of the homepage here. a lot of us have had abs issues though, its occasionally a speed sensor or loose wire, but the abs modules in the engine are notorious for crapping out on these vehicles.. but to buy a new one from a dealership will run you 2,500!! there are a few VXs being parted out around the country, if one of them still has the abs module in it, you should probably be able to get it for 100-200, and replacing it yourself is not a huge deal either, it took me maybe 2 hours by myself (1.5 hours of that was trying to bleed the brakes on my own), and if i did it again i feel like i could knock it out in about 45 minutes w/ a helper

heres a link to the instructions about how to replace your abs module
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=31

and a link to the service manual for the vx

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20

Ldub
04/26/2009, 07:15 AM
first welcome to the forum.. using the search feature at the top of the page will answer 75% of your questions you may have, this website has been really active for the 3 years ive owned my vx and im sure long before that, so almost every topic has been covered

as for your abs light, im not sure what code 12 is, but you can download the tech manual for the VX in the downloads section to the left of the homepage here. a lot of us have had abs issues though, its occasionally a speed sensor or loose wire, but the abs modules in the engine are notorious for crapping out on these vehicles.. but to buy a new one from a dealership will run you 2,500!! there are a few VXs being parted out around the country, if one of them still has the abs module in it, you should probably be able to get it for 100-200, and replacing it yourself is not a huge deal either, it took me maybe 2 hours by myself (1.5 hours of that was trying to bleed the brakes on my own), and if i did it again i feel like i could knock it out in about 45 minutes w/ a helper

heres a link to the instructions about how to replace your abs module
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=31

and a link to the service manual for the vx

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20

Eric, as usual, is dead center with his advice...:thumbup:

The only thing I'd try first, is replacing that gorpified brake fluid with some fresh stopping juice.
Then clear the code & try again. (will abs codes clear by discoing the batt for 27 min?):_confused
You need fresh brake fluid anyway, so nothing to lose.
Another thought/question in my mind...would it pass if the abs fuse were pulled?

etlsport
04/26/2009, 07:33 AM
:thumbup:flushing your brake fluid will if nothing else help braking performance and reduce the risk of corrosion in your braking system

as for pulling the abs fuse... no go :cryb: if the fuse is pulled, the abs light comes on, there is a pin in the harness you can bend/cut to eliminate the light.. but then it will never work again, even if you get your abs fixed.. you wouldnt know if it went again or something

whatisthat1
04/26/2009, 10:32 AM
Thank you guys for your feedback. I am going to change the fluid tomorrow. I went and checked it today and are getting a Code 43. Feel like I'm making progress here. Is that a big deal to fix ?? Please apologize for my naivity and thank you for welcoming here.

Ldub
04/26/2009, 01:06 PM
:thumbup:flushing your brake fluid will if nothing else help braking performance and reduce the risk of corrosion in your braking system

as for pulling the abs fuse... no go :cryb: if the fuse is pulled, the abs light comes on, there is a pin in the harness you can bend/cut to eliminate the light.. but then it will never work again, even if you get your abs fixed.. you wouldnt know if it went again or something

Allright then, we're making progress...:thumbup:

So just pull the abs indicator bulb?:smilewink

don moore
04/26/2009, 04:57 PM
So just pull the abs indicator bulb?

lol I was thinking that...lol