PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Hitch Receiver Available Again!

TheGanzman
04/27/2009, 08:05 AM
Hey guys & gals - I'm pleased to make available to you a concealed hitch receiver assembly once again! This assembly is fashioned after the Tone concealed hitch assembly, and is professionally made by my friends at Fat Man Fabrications in Charlotte, NC. It mounts exactly the same as Tone's fine receiver assembly, while incorporating some "improvements" such as being powder-coated for lifetime durability. For the record, I'm not getting a dime from Fat Man's - we're offering this as a service due to the untimely passing of Tone, to "fill the void" left by the product no longer being available. Same price as before: $229.00 shipped in the conus. Please be sure to specify with or without the safety chain loop - I had mine made without. Here's the link:

http://www.fatmanfab.com/

circmand
04/27/2009, 08:50 AM
but I could not find anything regarding the hitch or even the VX

TheGanzman
04/27/2009, 09:02 AM
but I could not find anything regarding the hitch or even the VX

And you won't for awhile - this is a BRAND new offering. If you need to see a close approximation, go to Tone's site - it is fashioned after that one. I placed the link so you folks could find the contact info for Fat Man Fabrications - feel free to order via phone or email.

circmand
04/27/2009, 09:35 AM
I used to ride the short bus to school

So-CalVX
04/27/2009, 12:55 PM
I used to ride the short bus to school

hahaha... i graduated... now i drive the short bus to work :D

circmand
04/27/2009, 01:20 PM
hahaha... i graduated... now i drive the short bus to work :D

Is that You?

IndianaVX
05/04/2009, 12:38 PM
Called fatmans today, actually just got off the phone with them.
talked to Brent, nice guy.
the scoop he gave me is about a three week turnaround from placement of order to ship.
now......
Ganzman, have you gotten yours installed yet? i was wondering about the pin, is it infront, or behind the cladding, and also how it looked. did you use tone's install instructions. just looking for an overview of the product.
im gonna need a hitch soon, and would really like tone's, or one like it, due to the hidden install.
i am looking to be towing my friends airstream!!http://basecamp.airstream.com/product/index.html
thanks.

David
IndianaVX

TheGanzman
05/04/2009, 12:44 PM
Haven't installed mine yet - hope to w/in the next ten days. Here's a couple shots of it, all shiny powder-coated an' sh*t:

http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/Hitch_001.JPG
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/Hitch_002.JPG

As you can see, I opted for NO safety chain provisions on my hitch receiver, as I plan on using it exclusively for my 1upUSA aluminum bike rack. Said rack doesn't use a receiver pin either, so really all I needed this for is a 2" square "tube" out the back of my VX. I'll post more photos of the install process after I complete...

ScottinMA
05/04/2009, 02:32 PM
Hmmm, from the pic there appears to be no slots built into the hitch to connect the chains....or maybe I'm missing something here.

CrnCnn
05/04/2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe its just me? I dont understand the price on this. Seems high for as small as it is.

IndianaVX
05/04/2009, 03:00 PM
I dont understand price, or installation, i was thinking this was modeled off of tones, and i thought tone's had the "brackets" that bolted to the frame.....i dont think i would want to haul a trailer with that set up in the pic.
im not knocking what you have there, and it looks well made, it just doesnt look like what i thought the hitch ought to look like......

tom4bren
05/04/2009, 03:02 PM
Scott,

I use a drop hitch on the one I got from Tone so prefer using the safety chain loops nearer the hitch ball anyway. IMHO, not needed at the receiver.

Clint,

Price is high - until you start trying to find someone to fab one up for you. It's a supply n demand thing more than a materials thing. Although the tolerances are fairly tight since 2 of the bolts use existing holes.

Tom

CrnCnn
05/04/2009, 03:15 PM
I dont know, I am just not convinced. Not doubting any quality, or "supply n demand issues." It just seems too much to me.

TheGanzman
05/04/2009, 04:29 PM
I'm reminded of the saying: "No good deed goes unpunished..."

1. Pricing - IDENTICAL to what Tone was charging, only this has the extra step (and expense!) of powder-coating.

2. Design -Virtually IDENTICAL to Tone's - same thickness materials - only better, stronger welds; did I mention - SAME price?

3. Installation - IDENTICAL to Tone's installation procedure; go to his website, see the photos, read the narrative...

4. If you take the time to READ my post(s), you'll see that I left the safety chain loops OFF of MY receiver assembly which is PICTURED above. You can request safety chain loops or a 1/4" steel plate with holes at the time of YOUR order.

Any questions?:rolleyes:

CrnCnn
05/04/2009, 04:54 PM
1. Dont take it the wrong way.

2. I never understood Tones pricing either.

3. I appreciate the effort made and am not saying its bad or that it is better or worse than the original.

4. Maybe I am naive about metal work but it just seems high.

5. Enough said, I am taking my ball and going home.

:gring:

ScottinMA
05/04/2009, 05:39 PM
And I negated to view the bottom of his post where he mentions that he opted not to purchase the model with safety chain provisions. My mistake. I own Tone's (RIP) hitch and love the fabrication. It's subtle and quite a nice design IMHO. Besides the bolts I had it welded to the frame since I'm pulling some significant weight and just wanted to make sure. So, if the price is the same as TONE's then some might want to pitch the extra $ for the concealed style of the hitch...I did.

VCrossfan
05/04/2009, 05:41 PM
I fab'd mine about 4 years ago, going off Tone's great design with my own Tweaks. $50 total and $20 of it was the powder-coating. Go to any farm and home supply and buy a blank 2" receiver about 10" long, a 3/8" thick angle iron ( I think mine is 6" x 12" ) and using my home 110v mig I pulled the bumper cover off/on several times and cutting the receiver each time until I was happy with the location/angle then tacked with the 110 mig, took it to my buddies race shop and hit it with the 220 mig, powder-coated and installed. Saving a ton and having a warm fuzzy feeling inside. The price Ganzman had really isn't that bad considering the huge use you'll get from it, I just had equipment, time and experience in fabbing..

Sorry,, Kinda dirty...

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Griprip/VX%20Hitch/102_0681.jpg

IndianaVX
05/05/2009, 12:27 PM
[quote=ScottinMA; since I'm pulling some significant weight

Scott,
are you pulling 2000lbs with that hitch? i know tounge weight wont be that much, but im just afraid of pulling my bumper out from under the vx......

i did get confused on the two hitches, im sorry about above post, and the mounting to the frame. and again, i dont question the quality, or any other aspect of the hitch that was made. im just concerned about the amount of pull that the hitch will withstand.

thanks

tom4bren
05/05/2009, 03:10 PM
I pull my SeaDoo with Tone's hitch (pix in gallery). It's about 2000 lbs. No problems to date.

Tom

TheGanzman
05/06/2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like this Friday is the day that my buddy and I will do this. For those of you who have installed this receiver assembly "out of the box", how long can I figure two retards to install, with no beers in the mix?;)

ScottinMA
05/06/2009, 02:41 PM
[quote=ScottinMA; since I'm pulling some significant weight

Scott,
are you pulling 2000lbs with that hitch? i know tounge weight wont be that much, but im just afraid of pulling my bumper out from under the vx......

i did get confused on the two hitches, im sorry about above post, and the mounting to the frame. and again, i dont question the quality, or any other aspect of the hitch that was made. im just concerned about the amount of pull that the hitch will withstand.

thanks

Indiana,

I believe the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs. I pull 2 to 3 thousand without problems.

4X4 UFO
05/06/2009, 03:15 PM
if you're also installing a trailer light harness. It took me longer than that, but I only had access to one retard! Don't forget the 2 "hidden" screws behind each side cladding panel, and take your time cutting the notch in the rear cladding.

Randy

TheGanzman
05/06/2009, 06:28 PM
if you're also installing a trailer light harness. It took me longer than that, but I only had access to one retard! Don't forget the 2 "hidden" screws behind each side cladding panel, and take your time cutting the notch in the rear cladding.

Randy

No light harness, Randy; and actually, only ONE of us is a retart (ME) - the other guy is "all that and a bag of chips"...

Hoping to do the whole job in ~5 hours - whaddya think?

4X4 UFO
05/06/2009, 08:23 PM
That should be doable, Joe. I don't think it took me much longer than that...........the printed instructions were a big help when I installed mine. I can send you a copy if you need them.

Randy

tom4bren
05/07/2009, 05:59 AM
Joe - do yourself a favor and buy a new drill bit for the job. It'll cut the install time if half.

My install took over night since I wasn't paying close attention to the instructions and broke a mounting tab on the cladding. Over night was for the epoxy to cure on repairing it (lucky me - it's hidden - can't even tell I pulled a SNAFU).

VCrossfan
05/07/2009, 07:21 AM
Joe - do yourself a favor and buy a new drill bit for the job. It'll cut the install time if half.

Tom You are 100% correct, I had one I thought was good enough and even after a series of step-up bits my final bit wasn't cutting it. I borrowed a buddies "new" bit and had to hang-on.

tom4bren
05/07/2009, 08:26 AM
I fought for 2 hours (it felt like 8 hours) drilling the first bolt hole with a bit that I thought was in pretty good shape. When I finally broke that one & went & bought a new one ... Oh me Oh my ... what a difference. The second hole only took minutes.

Yer right though, hang on. With a good bit that large, when the bit punches through, it'll grab. If you can find one, a drill with a side handle helps a lot.

Man - I had to be careful how I wrote that first sentence lest LBUD quoted me on it and turned it into sumpn dirty.

etlsport
05/07/2009, 08:40 PM
i broke a new drill bit halfway through the first hole.. then used drilling/cutting oil with my 2nd bit.. big difference there too!

TheGanzman
05/07/2009, 09:41 PM
It's done and came out FANTASTIC! It looks totally "factory" - photos here:
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/normal_Receiver_001.JPG
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/normal_Receiver_002.JPG
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/normal_Receiver_005.JPG

TheGanzman
05/08/2009, 02:03 PM
O.K. - I added photos above. It took us ~6 hours total. The BIG thing is getting the rear bumper cover cladding cut EXACTLY right - my friend prolly put it on and off (in place, not bolted) 4-5 times, cutting it a bit more each time. I don't think there's any way to make a "template" for this, since each hitch assembly is gonna be slightly different when it's welded up. My buddy also "radiused" the uppermost corners with a drill bit, rounding them slightly to match the receiver tube contours - the receiver tube literally looks like it has "grown" out of the cladding. If *I* was the one doing the job, it would have looked like a 7 year old had cut it!:bwgy:
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/Receiver_004.JPG

TheGanzman
05/13/2009, 08:21 AM
I gotta say that I'm surprised that NO one has ordered one of these yet, considering the PM response I got...:confused:

tom4bren
05/13/2009, 08:25 AM
If I didn't already have Tone's, I would have.

VCrossfan
05/13/2009, 08:53 AM
Hat's Off Ganz...Looks very, very nice

circmand
05/13/2009, 11:13 AM
I would probably get one. But I do not have the skills

TheGanzman
05/13/2009, 03:15 PM
I would probably get one. But I do not have the skills

Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. My man has the chops - he could eat a bushel of apples and sh*t a fruit salad!:bwgr: The tough part to get REALLY right is cutting the cladding. Most pro shops would NOT put the time in to get it dead perfect...

Leah
05/14/2009, 09:30 PM
Ugh! I want one of these so badly, it's all I can do not to get my credit card out and order one right now. I don't, though, because I haven't the faintest clue what I would do with it when it got here. My son, on the other hand, may know exactly what to do. I will show him your photos, Ganz, and see if he thinks we could pull it off. By the way, thank you for doing this.
Leah

TheGanzman
05/15/2009, 08:10 AM
Ugh! I want one of these so badly, it's all I can do not to get my credit card out and order one right now. I don't, though, because I haven't the faintest clue what I would do with it when it got here. My son, on the other hand, may know exactly what to do. I will show him your photos, Ganz, and see if he thinks we could pull it off. By the way, thank you for doing this.
Leah

There are a number of "keys" to doing this right, after you get the part in:

1. Read and reread the verbal instructions on Tone's site, and look at the photos. They're pretty much "on the money".

2. Have a helper! Pulling the side cladding back to access the "hidden" Torx screws would be pretty near impossible w/o help. Have some gloves on-hand (no pun intended) too - that cladding is kinda sharp! We also replaced the double-stick tape that we had to remove on the side cladding when pulling it back; don't know if it's "necessary" but we did, just to make sure that the cladding edges didn't "curl up" later on down the road.

3. Have a GOOD, new 1/2" drill bit, and make sure to drill the INNER two mounting holes FIRST! The holes on the receiver assembly likely won't EXACTLY align up with these two existing frame holes, so be prepared to have to "hog out" the frame holes a bit. It's good to have a good SET of drill bits, you'll use several smaller sizes before the job is done, for pilot holes, etc.

4. Allot ALL of a day to do this; there's no hurrying this job, especially cutting the cladding. Due to the nature of this job, there's just no way to supply a "template" for the cladding cut, so careful measuring, cutting, remeasuring, and recutting is SOP (standard operating procedure). Use blue tape to "mark off" your cut line parameters after measuring. We used one of those tungsten "cut everything" hacksaw blades with great success. Remember to radius the corners of the cuts - we used a 5/16" drill bit for this, which seemed to exactly match the radius of the "square" tubing of the receiver.

It's not a particularly difficult job, it just needs to be approached with careful, concentrated deliberation to pull off a "perfect", factory-look result the first time out of the gate. Like brain surgery, there ain't no "practicing", unless you've got a spare section of lower rear cladding! Luckily, once you get "close" on these cuts, you CAN "test fit" the cladding over the receiver assembly; it's a slip-fit, so you see how close you're getting to having the cladding mounting holes lined up. Plan on 3-4 "cuts" to get it exactly right. The results speak for themselves - after doing this, I can't IMAGINE having one of those hideous "generic" round tube assemblies hanging down under the back of MY Vehicross!

VX-13
05/15/2009, 11:04 PM
I'm selling the hitch that was sold on Tone's website I bought it and ended up not wanting to use my Vehicross to tow. It is still new in the box from when it was shipped to me. I will do $200 for the hitch if you are interested send me a PM

Sprey
06/20/2009, 07:01 PM
Hey guys. If possible does anyone have the plans for this hitch so i could get one made up overhere.

I dont mind the Kurt hitch and ones like that just this hitch looks 100x better.

Cheers.
Aaron

tom4bren
07/10/2009, 11:31 AM
Guys,

The hitch install really isn't that difficult (at least it's not as difficult as we made it sound). It does take some time and a helper makes the job much easier. Don't let the install scare you away from purchasing. The finished product it well worth the effort.

Aaron - If mine weren't already installed, I'd try to make some drawings for you. Sorry. Try sending VX-13 a message to see if he can trace the parts onto a piece of paper for you.

Tom

mdwyer
07/10/2009, 11:47 AM
...and when the instructions say to remove the two torx screws holding the cladding on, they mean two per side. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only person to break a cladding tab. :(

It was a total bear to install, and it isn't for the faint of heart, but once installed, you can't stop thinking of uses for it... Not just towing, but you can now attach bike racks and cargo racks.

SilverBullet75
07/10/2009, 01:53 PM
a note on cargo racks with this hitch...

don't put too much weight on it.
I bought a cargo rack to carry my 260lb jet ski on. The rack actually acts like a lever and twists the bumper/frame/hitch mount.

All other towing is ok...
Just a warning.

tom4bren
07/11/2009, 05:50 AM
"you can't stop thinking of uses for it... Not just towing, but you can now attach bike racks and cargo racks."

And don't forget either a hitch step to make getting in the back easier or better yet, a bully bar to protect your hiney.

stingray
12/05/2009, 06:22 AM
If someone can get me specs I can build that for less than $100 certified welder and minimum grade 8 hardware

Rene M
12/05/2009, 08:51 AM
I had a tone hitch new and in the box after i saw how low it sat i never did mount it. I wheel with my VX " a bunch" and the reason the cladding is built like that is to allow the rear of the vx to clear a down slope. I built my own hitch but it mounts a bit higher and far more recessed than the "Tone" style.

I still bang it once and a while stepping off an edge.
This is in no way a derogatory comment merely and FYI to think about.
Those look great i just would not want to bang my shin against that step part..:bwgy:
http://adriana.12thfloor.com/main.php/d/4540-2/New+tires+001.jpg

Rene M
12/05/2009, 08:57 AM
Sorry its the only pic i have of the butt.. I will shoot a better one later today. :(

tom4bren
05/25/2010, 10:43 AM
Any questions?:rolleyes:

I gots a question.

I contacted Fat Man Fabricators & they didn't know WTF I was talking about. I was told that the only hitch they make is for the LR Discovery.

I can get 'Welder Guy' to make them but I need one for him to take measurements from. Have you installed yours yet? If not, can I borrow it to have drawings made or can you get drawings made?

Tom

JAMAS
05/25/2010, 11:02 AM
Please do....

I wants one for my b-day.

tom4bren
05/25/2010, 12:10 PM
Dang it. Yer not making this easy on me are you? That only gives me about 2 weeks to get'r done & I need my hitch this weekend.

I s'pose you want the ORIGINAL Tone version again?:)

VX KAT
05/25/2010, 12:31 PM
Dang it. Yer not making this easy on me are you? That only gives me about 2 weeks to get'r done & I need my hitch this weekend.

I can't believe I'm saying this....but.....I was just sayin' to hubby, boy I sure wish I could find one of the Tone hitches to buy, it's the ONLY type I'd put on, (No Curt, etc..)....hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm in if this can be made again.

Tom, ya gotta come thru for us now! No pressure or anything! :thumbup:

JAMAS
05/25/2010, 12:38 PM

:):):):):)

yes. Please kindly dismantle your VX yet again for me.

if you get it done by my b-day, I would be impressed. But I will most likely have a delayed b-day present, unless I go with a curt hitch.

Mile High VX
05/25/2010, 01:35 PM
Me too kindly Mr. Tom....:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

tjh
05/25/2010, 03:38 PM
I would like a drawing with dimensions of the said hitch . Perhaps a picture are two .

I know a fabricator .

TheGanzman
05/25/2010, 04:33 PM
I gots a question.

I contacted Fat Man Fabricators & they didn't know WTF I was talking about. I was told that the only hitch they make is for the LR Discovery.

I can get 'Welder Guy' to make them but I need one for him to take measurements from. Have you installed yours yet? If not, can I borrow it to have drawings made or can you get drawings made?

Tom

Fat Man Fabrications, Charlotte, NC - ask for Brent....

RamAirZ
05/25/2010, 09:29 PM
Anyone know what brand hitch this is:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/0525101522-00.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/0525101522-01.jpg

If I didn't already have this one I would take one of the concealed hitches. I can't find a name on it anywhere but I kinda like it, I'm sure everyone else thinks its hideous lol

tom4bren
05/26/2010, 08:54 AM
Well ... bad news for me = good news for you.

My VX is outta comission for the forseeable future. I had an accident with it this morning on the way to work. Luckly no body damage but it jacked the drivers side steering/suspension when I parked on top of a van. I'll start another thread on the subject when I figger out how to get the pix from my phone downloaded to my 'puter.

Since the Proton won't be on the road for a while, I'll try to pull the hitch this weekend so I can hand it over to Welder Guy to copy. First step is to get her towed back to F'burg - she's stuck in the tow lot in Dumphries right now.

Ganz, Fatman didn't seem interested in the hitch. If you wanna give them a call to make sure before I get Welder Guy spun up, lemme know.

Tom

RamAirZ
05/26/2010, 09:18 AM
That sucks man, just glad your OK, and it's a plus that the VX is pretty much ok as well

tom4bren
05/27/2010, 08:47 AM
It looks like my hitch is pointed down slightly. I'm pretty sure that the bumper bent rather than the hitch. The shop will probably start tearing into the front end today so they prolly won't get to the rear until next week. I'll definitely have them leave the hitch off for now so that I can hand it over to Welder Guy to copy.

Does anyone still have Tone's installation instructions?

MSHardeman
05/27/2010, 09:17 AM
I THINK, and don't hold me to this, that the hitch install instructions might be on Tone's Shop Manual CD (if you got it from him and didn't download it from the site). My CD is at home so I can check it later tonight unless someone else gets to it first.

JAMAS
06/07/2010, 06:00 AM
Tom-

Have you been able to get a sample over to welder guy to copy?.....

I got my hitch (IOU) as an early b-day present....so whenever it is completed, I am ready to purchase......

If you want, I can start a new thread. Or you can if you want.

Thanks!

tom4bren
06/07/2010, 06:38 AM
Sorry for the delay but it's not procrastination on my part (this time).

The shop can't get the VX into the bay until I get them a steering box & they won't start working on my droopy rear end till it gets in the bay. RamAirZ already shipped the steering box but it hasn't arrived yet.

If all the stars align properly I'll get the hitch to welder guy this week.

Until he gets it in hand, I can't get an estimate on the cost.

I'll also find someone here at work that can do mechanical drawings (gotta keep those interns busy).

JAMAS
06/07/2010, 06:44 AM
Cool....thanks

Are there any concerns about weight/load rating since Welder guy wont be able to test the welds?

or is that a silly concern in my amateur head?

tom4bren
06/07/2010, 07:23 AM
The strength of the hitch is limited by the bumper that it bolts to (in our case), not in the welds.

While they have the rear cladding off, I'll look to see if the strength of the end product can be upgraded by modification (I'm thinking that there should be a way to extend the hitch bracket to actually engage the frame rails). I'll let you know.

JAMAS
06/07/2010, 07:28 AM
You 'da man.:yesy:

BigMeatVX
06/07/2010, 11:02 PM
The strength of the hitch is limited by the bumper that it bolts to (in our case), not in the welds.

While they have the rear cladding off, I'll look to see if the strength of the end product can be upgraded by modification (I'm thinking that there should be a way to extend the hitch bracket to actually engage the frame rails). I'll let you know.

your right there is a way to add a piece of 1/4" thick angle accross between the frame rails...thats how I built mine...

I made my own conceled hitch back in 2000 :yesy:

I used a way beefier design than what is pictured above, however I abuse mine...bigtime...:p

I have towed almost 15,000 lbs like 200 miles (zero tongue weight)
Yarded 17,000 Board feet of Huge logs with it and pulled out countless over-egoed 4WDers....
So mouch abuse in fact that my pin-hole in the receiver, now looks like an egg-shape...:bgwb:

Anyway, with a little more "beef" to the above design, it should be able to handle heaver loads and or winching....

JAMAS
06/08/2010, 05:24 AM
Sounds like a great upgrade to the already awesome design.

JAMAS
06/11/2010, 05:38 AM
How goes the VX repair?

....parts in?

vt_maverick
06/11/2010, 07:31 AM

your right there is a way to add a piece of 1/4" thick angle accross between the frame rails...thats how I built mine...

I made my own conceled hitch back in 2000 :yesy:

I used a way beefier design than what is pictured above, however I abuse mine...bigtime...:p

I have towed almost 15,000 lbs like 200 miles (zero tongue weight)
Yarded 17,000 Board feet of Huge logs with it and pulled out countless over-egoed 4WDers....
So mouch abuse in fact that my pin-hole in the receiver, now looks like an egg-shape...:bgwb:

Anyway, with a little more "beef" to the above design, it should be able to handle heaver loads and or winching....

Too bad I didn't read this before I made more or less an identical suggestion in the cargo box thread lol. Can't wait to hear how it turns out Tom. If it takes that long, I'm probably going to have a metal fabricator down here look at the problem as well in late July / early August, so I'll post his thoughts as well.

BigMeat, do you have pics of what you did? Might be convenient to show the fabrication shop...

tom4bren
06/16/2010, 05:32 AM
I have the receiver removed and in hand. I'll drop it off to welder guy this morning to make a copy. After he's done, I'll find someone to make a set of drawings to share.

I'm only going to have him make one copy for now since I want to make some modifications for any future builds (longer to reach all the way across to the frame rails to make it stronger).

Tom

tom4bren
08/03/2010, 07:23 AM
I reinstalled the hitch over the weekend. While it was apart, I started looking at it in terms of the modification talked about above. I quickly decided that I need to have 'Welder Guy' have a look at it to have an input on the design since he'll be the one doing the fabrication.

I'll keep Y'all posted.

Tom

janodes
11/09/2010, 01:21 AM
I'm looking at installing Tone style concealed receiver hitch and wonder if welder guy and friends ever came up with a new and improved version for sale?
I can have my own locally fabricated but figure it would be cheaper to buy one
ready to install.

tom4bren
11/09/2010, 04:35 AM
I have not worked on the upgraded version yet. It's much more complicated than I anticipated. The tube bumper (behind the cladding) has the mounting features for the bottom part of the rear cladding. We'll lose that bumper with the new design. The Tone version cut out the center section as well. I need to find a way to replicate those mounting features into the new hitch design. That part won't be all that difficult but the problem will be to hold the tolerances tight enough so that everything will still bolt up nicely. The last time I had my cladding off, I was not able to get one of the cladding bolts back in. I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

Tom

VX KAT
11/09/2010, 09:00 AM
When Dub installed mine from WelderGuy, he couldn't get 3 cladding bolts back in. They were from the bottom of the cladding and all facing upward. (That's why he was grinding down the edge of the receiver in my See America thread).
But there were enough other bolts to hold the cladding on, it's not going anywhere.

tom4bren
11/09/2010, 09:03 AM
GTK but I wanna get it right!

JHarris1385
11/09/2010, 09:35 AM
I would like one of these, if it were cheaper. I understand the reasoning for the possible price. I just would not use it alot but would like to have that option, now that we have sold our Explorer for something MUCH smaller.

vt_maverick
11/09/2010, 07:39 PM
I have not worked on the upgraded version yet. It's much more complicated than I anticipated. The tube bumper (behind the cladding) has the mounting features for the bottom part of the rear cladding. We'll lose that bumper with the new design. The Tone version cut out the center section as well. I need to find a way to replicate those mounting features into the new hitch design. That part won't be all that difficult but the problem will be to hold the tolerances tight enough so that everything will still bolt up nicely. The last time I had my cladding off, I was not able to get one of the cladding bolts back in. I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

Tom

This is getting about as complicated as a front winch bumper. :(

tom4bren
11/10/2010, 04:38 AM
Nah, the only complicated part is finding the patience to outlast my procrastination proclivities.:)

janodes
11/13/2010, 02:51 AM
Tom, You mentioned a few posts back that you would make drawings of the original Tone hitch. I have been going down the list of mods to my newly acquired VX and am ready to install the Tone style receiver. The various pix I have found posted give me almost enough to fabricate one my self with only a few things in question. I bought a 6" receiver w/collar yesterday. If you would be so kind I need the [1] size of angle iron, it's width and the spacing of the bolt holes[ so they line up with the existing inside holes] [2] the H X W X thickness of the backing plate, and [3] what size bolts as in their diameter, length and grade?
I am just going to carry a bike rack and GoRhino step there so i don't need one
extra HD for towing.

VX KAT
11/13/2010, 08:01 AM
If you would be so kind I need the [1] size of angle iron, it's width and the spacing of the bolt holes[ so they line up with the existing inside holes] [2] the H X W X thickness of the backing plate, and [3] what size bolts as in their diameter, length and grade?

I don't think there's any OEM holes to line up with....gotta drill the 4 holes.
Here's mine being installed last month, may give you some details you need.
Also note, Dub couldn't get 3 of the rear cladding bolts on the bottom (facing up) to align, so he tried grinding a little off the receiver where the cladding was hitting it, but it wasn't enough, couldn't get them aligned. Cladding is still secure with all the other bolts though.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4730.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4738.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4742.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4740.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4727.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4751.JPG

Sprey
11/13/2010, 10:41 PM
Looks Choice Kat!

In my 3rd pic you can see the extra metal welded in to give it extra strength.

In my 2nd to last pic you can see having mounted the hitch up higher and tighter on the rear bar it means you have to cut alot more cladding. And with my tow hook on the door opens over it just by a few MM!!.
And to get the little pin out of the hitch was trouble a few times until i grounded down the head of the bolt to make it more round etc.
Its weird how the Jdm Vxs dont have that little cover over the rear bar,
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1240.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1243.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1292.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1293.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1365.jpg

VX KAT
11/13/2010, 11:46 PM
GOOD GAWD MAN....YOU are truly Mr. Scary Hook II...at least yerz iz in da back! Should keep people from tail-gating fo' sho'!

tom4bren
11/15/2010, 12:14 PM
Tom, You mentioned a few posts back that you would make drawings of the original Tone hitch. I have been going down the list of mods to my newly acquired VX and am ready to install the Tone style receiver. The various pix I have found posted give me almost enough to fabricate one my self with only a few things in question. I bought a 6" receiver w/collar yesterday. If you would be so kind I need the [1] size of angle iron, it's width and the spacing of the bolt holes[ so they line up with the existing inside holes] [2] the H X W X thickness of the backing plate, and [3] what size bolts as in their diameter, length and grade?
I am just going to carry a bike rack and GoRhino step there so i don't need one
extra HD for towing.

I think that Welder Guy has one he uses as a template. I'll have to see if he'll bring it in for me to take some measurements. That'll be next week though since I'm outta town this week.

IIRC, 2 of the holes do use existing holes in the frame. 2 holes are not critical in position since you'll be drilling those yourself.

Tom

JAMAS
11/15/2010, 02:09 PM
IIRC, 2 of the holes do use existing holes in the frame. 2 holes are not critical in position since you'll be drilling those yourself.

Tom

when I installed the Original Tone Hitch (thanks again Tom!), the two middle holes were close to lining up, but did require a little finessing with the drill.