PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Moab Trip Stats

Kenny
05/18/2009, 08:23 AM
Glad to see everyone is making it home safe!
Can't wait until next year!

So after 3060 miles return trip (excluding trail miles);

Averaged 17 MPG.
(This was with the manual hubs set in Free - not too much difference from the last Moab trips without the hubs. Was hoping for better)

~$450 in gas
(mostly Premium)

~26 hours of driving.

10 Check Engine Codes
6- P0420
3- P0157
1- P0137
(ALL were within 200 miles of Denver - what's with that hey Larry? Voodoo place...)

1 quart of oil to keep levels at full.

NO storms, no hail:eek:, not even rain, sweet!

Cheers all.

ZEUS
05/18/2009, 09:11 AM
Nice, welcome home!

I hope you don't mind if I add this... See, I just still don't understand why so many people think unlocking hubs will offer greater gas mileage in an AWD vehicle. I just want to lay out the physics, how I understand it. The hubs only work to save wear and tear and increase mileage when they are used in conjunction with a 2wd transfer case. As the vehicle moves, it rotates all tires at the same speed and the 4H setting does not disconnect the front drive shaft from the t-case. So all that is going on is the TOD is not able to send power to the front wheels when the rear is slipping - but it is still trying, and in effect, it's sending power to turn the front drive shaft and everything connected to it. Even if you were to disconnect the fuse or add a switch to the TOD computer while unlocking the hubs, the parts in the t-case are still in motion so the front drive shaft is still in motion, so the ring and pinion gears are still in motion, so the axles are still in motion. Since everything is still in motion, the hubs simply disallow the application of power/torque from the motor before it gets to the front wheels which are also already in motion anyway. There needs to be a mechanical disconnect in the t-case in conjunction with a mechanical disconnect at the hubs to save wear and tear while increasing mileage. That is why you would see no change in mileage.

Anyway, it was awesome to hang out and wheel with you again - here's to doing it again next year!!!

Kenny
05/18/2009, 09:50 AM
Justin,
I was sort of along the same train of thought on the whole energy use at the wheels... but I was thinking there would be some minimal benefit when doing mountain climbs in free mode where on dry pavement I'm not putting any effort to the front tires when the pedal is to the floor.Just thought I'd throw it out there to add some credence to the debate on the manual hubs. (It's not why I got them anyway;))

Maybe next year I'll disconnect the TOD for the trip and further dispel the mpg gains argument - or not!:p

Also, you better be there next year - and in your VX. Sell your body for the road trip fund, NOT the VX!!

pbkid
05/23/2009, 02:54 PM
oh wow...this turned dirty REALLY quick

Ldub
05/23/2009, 10:56 PM
oh wow...this turned dirty REALLY quick

I believe that is to be expected when "LOTCR" shows up...:laughgray

don moore
05/23/2009, 11:40 PM
ouch

Marlin
05/25/2009, 09:16 AM
Nice, welcome home!

I hope you don't mind if I add this... See, I just still don't understand why so many people think unlocking hubs will offer greater gas mileage in an AWD vehicle. I just want to lay out the physics, how I understand it. The hubs only work to save wear and tear and increase mileage when they are used in conjunction with a 2wd transfer case. As the vehicle moves, it rotates all tires at the same speed and the 4H setting does not disconnect the front drive shaft from the t-case. So all that is going on is the TOD is not able to send power to the front wheels when the rear is slipping - but it is still trying, and in effect, it's sending power to turn the front drive shaft and everything connected to it. Even if you were to disconnect the fuse or add a switch to the TOD computer while unlocking the hubs, the parts in the t-case are still in motion so the front drive shaft is still in motion, so the ring and pinion gears are still in motion, so the axles are still in motion. Since everything is still in motion, the hubs simply disallow the application of power/torque from the motor before it gets to the front wheels which are also already in motion anyway. There needs to be a mechanical disconnect in the t-case in conjunction with a mechanical disconnect at the hubs to save wear and tear while increasing mileage. That is why you would see no change in mileage.

Anyway, it was awesome to hang out and wheel with you again - here's to doing it again next year!!!

I would think there would be a small gain in mpg, but not a significant amount. It takes so many joules of energy to move your car "X" distance, whether that is via the rear wheels, or the front wheels is irrelevant. It is the conservation of energy. Disengaging the front wheels does not reduce the amount of energy required to move your vehicle, but I would say the amount of wear and tear on CVs and whatnot would make them well worth it.

As far as erotic services go...I believe you will still be able to advertise your personal time for some amount of roses....;)

BigSwede
05/26/2009, 06:59 AM
I would think there would be a small gain in mpg, but not a significant amount. It takes so many joules of energy to move your car "X" distance, whether that is via the rear wheels, or the front wheels is irrelevant. It is the conservation of energy. Disengaging the front wheels does not reduce the amount of energy required to move your vehicle, but I would say the amount of wear and tear on CVs and whatnot would make them well worth it.
In the VX the there is no 2WD setting for the transfer case, therefore the front drivetrain is going to be turning all the time, whether the hubs are locked or not. I doubt there is going to be any savings in mpg or wear and tear in this scenario.