PDA

View Full Version : Intake Gasket... Best Brand?

gumby
05/21/2009, 04:39 PM
Now that I know I have the intake gasket problem again...(I can hear it sucking air) Does anyone have any good advice on the brands to buy?

I see Nippon Reiki, and it claims to be a better product. Is this true, or is there something better? If I have to do this, I want the best freaking gaskets I can buy. This will be the fourth set and the first set out of warranty.

Also, if I do this project, will I need any other gaskets when I replace the Intake ones? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Gumby

Mrcln1
05/21/2009, 07:26 PM
I purchased the upper and lower intake set from advance auto. The upper is just a thin paper gasket, the lower I used was the same as the one that failed and seemed fragile. They were made by Felpro. I had used the brand you mentioned for the upper before and had no issues with it. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,:thumbup:

Mrcln1

etlsport
05/21/2009, 07:31 PM
just make sure when you tighten the intake manifold back down you use the new torque specs (i believe its 13ft-lbs, the original service manual stated 18-19 but was later revised)

gumby
06/01/2009, 10:37 AM
I did my intake gaskets this weekend and I made some major discoveries...

I bought Rock brand gaskets and they were some reinforced rubbery material between thin sheets of metal. looking at them I couldn't imagine how they could blow out, but I thought it would be revealed when I tore the engine apart.

Lo and behold when I got to the original gaskets there were rigid garbage plastic between metal. The thing had completely broken into pieces. I was shocked to think someone thought injection molded plastic would make a good gasket.

I was extra shocked to know I was quoted almost 1000 dollars to have them replaced knowing they would have put in those same crappy gaskets again. So the new gaskets seem VERY nice in comparison. So I recommend Rock gaskets and I'll post if I ever have any problems with the new set.

The other surprise is that there are only two bolts per side holding them in place. Over about a 16 inch span that seems very iffy. I would have guess at least four per side. Anyway, I thought someone with the erratic idle would benefit from this experience. I will post some pics and detail the fix in another post.

Peace,
gumby

blacksambo
06/01/2009, 08:46 PM
Thx Gumby,

I've replaced the gasket with oem that looks like cardboard. Perhaps they are varible materials? Thx