PDA

View Full Version : My hood insert is cracked in two places!

dtruax
05/22/2009, 07:47 PM
I just noticed that my insert is cracked in two places, one in the upper middle, and the other at the top of the drivers side. Now I know of the replacment CF ones, but there a bit pricey, if there still even being made. If they are, im not sure im ready to throw my money that direction. Is there any stock replacements avalible in the U.S.?? My plan is to take it to my buddys house, and sand it down the put a strip of Carbon Fiber that only covers the two cracks, then putting bondo like substance (NOT BONDO) and then sanding that back into the surface then just painting it black. Would that stop the cracks from "growing"?? Would the paint come out all one color, or would it fade in some areas? Advice, and any input is much appreciated!!!

MSHardeman
05/23/2009, 09:02 AM
I would give Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu a call. I think a couple of people have bought hood inserts from him recently and there should be a few left. I think they are in the $300+ range so they are a little pricey too.

rowhard
05/23/2009, 05:05 PM
I would give Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu a call. I think a couple of people have bought hood inserts from him recently and there should be a few left. I think they are in the $300+ range so they are a little pricey too.

In January when I needed one for the insurance claim, Merlin said that there was one in the supply system which I got, not saying the stock level hasn't changed. I actually have two OEM's now. My original which is perfect except 8 years old, the new one (insurance claim) that I will use as a plug when I get off my backside and figure out vacuum bagging so I can start producing the faux carbon fiber ones, and of course my carbon fiber one. The cracked ones actually are easy to repair if you want to take the time and repair and refinish it.

Ldub
05/23/2009, 08:58 PM
In January when I needed one for the insurance claim, Merlin said that there was one in the supply system which I got, not saying the stock level hasn't changed. I actually have two OEM's now. My original which is perfect except 8 years old, the new one (insurance claim) that I will use as a plug when I get off my backside and figure out vacuum bagging so I can start producing the faux carbon fiber ones, and of course my carbon fiber one. The cracked ones actually are easy to repair if you want to take the time and repair and refinish it.

What John said...:yes:

SAND...PREP...PAINT...(add various doo-dads to taste)...:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01671.JPG

aatlas1x
05/24/2009, 02:22 AM
Good day,

I am new to the forum but can contribute to this. The factory insert is fiberglass cover in gel coat just like modern ski boats. i have 10-15 BB to pencil eraser chips in mine through the gel coat. I called a friend who has been in the boat industry for 20 years and brought it to him. He matched the OE color that was mint under the nozzles. Stripped it down and re did it. Looks as new

http://fototime.com/353240F12F3B40D/standard.jpg

I don't have a price to give as he did for me for a few beers.

My .02

Shane

Sprey
05/24/2009, 02:58 AM
looks real good^^

someone on here cant remember the name. in the gallery has a pic of there hood insert repainted with bumper black then waxed over . it looks real good.

I tryed some of the mothers back to black that i use on the cladding tho,doesnt seem to work very well on the insert

Anita
05/24/2009, 04:52 PM
looks real good^^

someone on here cant remember the name. in the gallery has a pic of there hood insert repainted with bumper black then waxed over . it looks real good.

I tryed some of the mothers back to black that i use on the cladding tho,doesnt seem to work very well on the insert

Rickshaw's insert looked great when we had our Los Angeles meet. He swears by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Liquid Cleaner Wax. I will be buying some and will see how it works on my insert.

Sprey
05/24/2009, 10:59 PM
Cool Anita. might pop out to the shops and see what i can find:cool: