PDA

View Full Version : Water in Footwell

kirk hilton
05/27/2009, 01:55 PM
Well I know this is a common problem but it's one that's new to me so I'm needing some guidance and hopefully photos.

This morning after a rainy night I was greeted by a half inch of water in the driver's foot well (remember I have a right hand drive JDM VX). I've had some damp in the foot well on and off but this morning there was standing water. I've removed the driver's seat and pulled the carpet and sodden sound proofing back and mopped the water out and left it to dry. From the amount of mildew on the foot well steel work I guess that it's been a problem for sometime (certainly before I bought the VX 6 months back). It looks like the water has got in behind and then under the thick black plastic 'sheet' at the driver's feet (behind the brake and gas pedals) which is now fragile and breaking away at the bottom edge.

Has anyone get any suggests or experience on this problem that they would kindly share? I've read that it maybe a firewall grommet but where I'm not sure (that's why I need pics)

Many thanks Kirk

tom4bren
05/27/2009, 02:48 PM
Here's a start:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14090&highlight=floorboard

I used the search function with 'floor board'

There were some other threads on the subject.

VX1032
05/27/2009, 03:04 PM
I had water in m footwell, it came from the hole I punched in the boot around the harness hole through the firewall to run wires for the foglights. It wasn't a big deal, just had to reseal the hole. That would be my first area to look for to see if the previous owner ever ran any extra wiring and never resealed the holes.

kirk hilton
05/29/2009, 02:16 AM
Well Guys, it looks like you were right.

After your experience I asked myself "what has changed?". Well you were right the previous owner had fitted a Rancho electrically adjustable shock system and a switch for fog lights. Well the pneumatics pipes and wires they'd pushed through a grommet in the engine bay into the driver's foot well.

But because a relay block was obscuring the grommet it wasn't possible to see a grap in the grommet you could push a pencil thru (i could actually see daylight thru the hole). After removing the relay block and getting to the grommet I've sealled the hole in the grommet with silicon sealant from both sides of the firewall.

It appears that rain water was running down the windscreen into the engine bay, encountering the pneumatic pipes and following them into the foot well. I've removed the seat and pulled back the carpet to allow the footwell to dry during the expected hot weekend. I've also thrown a few jugs of water onto the windscreen and it looks like none is now getting into the footwell, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help.