PDA

View Full Version : Too rusty chassis?

Robert
07/25/2003, 12:00 PM
Hi again Guys,

Today I went for wheel alignment and when my VX was up in the air I noticed that the whole chassis and under body showed some rust. Is it normal? What can you do for effective protection and prevention? Because I want to keep my VX for ever I feel like I have to do something.....Any help here?

Thanx

Robert

Joe_Black
07/25/2003, 02:00 PM
Check out Eastwood's (http://www.eastwoodco.com) as they have quite a variety of products for getting rid of rust and protection. I've used their Oxisolv product which is available as a liquid or gel and it's very effective when used as directed. Give them call as they also have some knowledgeable folk on staff as well.

One thing you do want to be certain of is to flush the inside of the frame rails as salts and other road-borne corrosives can build up in there. Remember that when washing stuff underneath your VX that water VOLUME, not PRESSURE, get's the job done. If you have a window close to your hot-water heater hook a hose to the drain spigot and use water from there as it will quickly dissolve any build-up. It may take a couple of tank-fulls but the reheat time will give you an opportunity to inspect your work. There are several openings at high points on the frame for you to run the water in. Just be careful and wear gloves as it'll be pretty hot for you as well.

Hope that helps!

Robert
07/27/2003, 11:30 AM
Thanks Joe_Black,

I will definitely try it. Did you use the spray version?

Robert