PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285/60-18 on stock VX

VX KAT
06/03/2009, 06:41 PM
Here's some pics of my new LTZs on the stock VX. Just driving around my dirt roads (I'm surrounded by them) a bit today and they are awesome. Great bite, nice and meaty, and great ride on highway too. Minor trimming of front cladding, that's all. More pics in gallery.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0534.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0537.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0540.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0582.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0564.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0579.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0542.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0527.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0519.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0570.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0523.JPG
Home sweet home! Cream house off to left.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_0554.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0591.JPG

VX-157
06/03/2009, 06:48 PM
nice looking vx :D could you tell me where you got your front nudge bar? i have been searching high and low for one.

cheers

VX KAT
06/03/2009, 06:53 PM
nice looking vx :D could you tell me where you got your front nudge bar? i have been searching high and low for one.

cheers

Thanks! The bull bar came from Tone, which as you probably know, sadly passed away recently. I don't know where else it can be purchased. I "think" he somehow got them custom made from Westin? Anybody please correct me on that.

pbkid
06/03/2009, 07:06 PM
wheels look great kat! much better than those ones you brought to moab ;)

now treat that poor light grey cladding :naughty:

Moncha
06/03/2009, 07:08 PM
They were actually made by Westin, I'm not sure of the model # though

http://www.westinautomotive.com/pages/PRODUCT_SL-apps.html

Scroll down to Isuzu

Riff Raff
06/03/2009, 07:11 PM
Simply stunning!!! They look very simular to the Nitto-Terra Grappler-- only "WAY FRICKIN' BETTER"!!! Plus; the LTZ is a lot lighter at only 49 lbs, and way cheaper to buy. "Move over N.T.G.; you've been replaced by L.T.Z."

Incidentally gang; I found another tire that is very simular to the Nitto-Terra Grappler and weighs only 44 lbs with OWL. It's the SUMITOMO - HTR Sport A/T in P285/60R18 (31.4" O.D./44 lbs) and sells for $169 at www.TireRack.com

VX-KAT--- Now, all you need is the Kilby Enterprises "belly-pan" skid-plates!!!

VX KAT
06/03/2009, 07:18 PM
Same wheels pb, just new rubber....I keep asking myself why I didn't do this BEFORE Moab?
Got a replacement wheel from circmand for the one I took a chunk out of the lip
Ordered the Refinish/Restore stuff yesterday so cladding will look good very soon!

Moncha
06/03/2009, 07:23 PM
The tires make all the difference in the world! Makes the VX look like it should have from the beginning!

Sprey
06/03/2009, 07:41 PM
The tires make all the difference in the world! Makes the VX look like it should have from the beginning!

I agree!

Looks soo good. Real cool looking tyre to !.

:gring:

Gussie2000
06/03/2009, 07:43 PM
Terrific looking VX out there :)

congrats sue, well done job

MSHardeman
06/03/2009, 07:56 PM
Now you've got me thinking....
I need a new set of shoes for Vicki and I was going to go with the Terra Grapplers again, but I REALLY like your new skinz Sue.
Guess I have a decision to make now. Thanks for posting the pics, the VX looks GREAT.

VX KAT
06/03/2009, 08:17 PM
They are VERY similar looking to the TGs. The shop had 2 giant TGs (325s) in the shop so I got to check them out side by side, very helpful, made me completely sure I made right choice for me. These LTZs have some slight grooved tread within the treadblocks (not on the blocks, but the lowest part of tire)...not smooth like I've seen on other tires. You can't see it in my pics because of the dirt, only pic #5 gives bit of it. See on the side shoulder those squiggly lines, it's kind of like that within the tread blocks, so maybe better water dissipation?? Or in my case...mud:rolly:

Triathlete
06/03/2009, 08:35 PM
The little "squiggly" lines will help in snow/ice conditions. They will not help with mud though...big voids between the lugs do mud best. The large voids clear the mud from the tire better. Thats why these are still the best pure mud tire out there...
http://www.intercotire.com/tire_photos/35wldp8b0l503_sm.jpg

Ldub
06/03/2009, 10:51 PM
Here's some pics of my new LTZs on the stock VX. Just driving around my dirt roads (I'm surrounded by them) a bit today and they are awesome. Great bite, nice and meaty, and great ride on highway too. Minor trimming of front cladding, that's all. More pics in gallery.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0527.JPG

SWEET lookin' skinz ya got there Miss Suzy...:yes:

Very nice, bet you're grinnin' from ear to ear...:dance:

And THANK YOU SO much, for posting your pics vertically...:heart:

WormGod
06/04/2009, 07:32 AM
Nice meat! That pattern is very appealing. Been on the highway yet with them? Curious how road noise is, if any.

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 08:04 AM
"These LTZs have some slight grooved tread within the treadblocks"

If I understand what you've described, it's called Siping (sp? - pronounced like pipe).

That gives you improved performance on dry pavement (I guess slick rock too). It won't help with anything else. They try not to use it too much though since it tends to make the tire wear faster.

Tom

BTW, your ride looks sweet with the new shoes.

pbkid
06/04/2009, 10:05 AM
incorrect tom...

siping helps in snow, wet, dry, slickrock....is also dissapates the heat better so your tires actually last longer ;)

go to a tire shop and ask them what they think about siping..

most people in colorado sipe their tires for snow driving because it completely changes the ride..(much better traction all around)

handeeman
06/04/2009, 10:23 AM
I really like the look Kat. Post us on the highway noise. Those may be my 1st mod, thanks to you.

VX KAT
06/04/2009, 10:25 AM
"These LTZs have some slight grooved tread within the treadblocks"

If I understand what you've described, it's called Siping (sp? - pronounced like pipe).

That gives you improved performance on dry pavement (I guess slick rock too). It won't help with anything else. They try not to use it too much though since it tends to make the tire wear faster.

Yeah, I guess it could be called siping, but it's on the recessed part of tread, not on the tread blocks that directly touch the ground. It has plenty of siping on the shoulders but I can't recall ever seeing a tire with it on the recessed part of a tire. I know the siping is for increased traction as it torques under pressure and opens up additional space to bite the surface. Not mud of course.

Road noise seemed absolutely minimal, even with windows open. I was a bit surprised. Had a very smooth highway ride. Have them at 40 psi, but am increasing them today and will see what differences I notice.

And when it gets really muddy around here, we use Dave's FJ with these bad boys.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/xtreme-mud-terrain-radial.jpg

pbkid
06/04/2009, 10:49 AM
nice....tell dave ill give him a VX in trade of his FJ :naughty:

let them wear in a little... my MTR's were silent, until they wore in ;)

tomdietrying
06/04/2009, 04:49 PM
Sweet! Sweet! Sweet!
Peace.
Tom

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 05:05 PM
"incorrect tom..."

Rekin we'll have to agree to disagree.

Triathlete
06/04/2009, 05:08 PM
incorrect tom...

is also dissapates the heat better so your tires actually last longer ;)

Unless you tend to spin them on rock ledges...then it tends to take nice chunks out of them!:bwgy:

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 05:45 AM
"Yeah, I guess it could be called siping, but it's on the recessed part of tread, not on the tread blocks that directly touch the ground. It has plenty of siping on the shoulders but I can't recall ever seeing a tire with it on the recessed part of a tire."

OK, I see what you're talking about now. Yer right, that's not siping. I can't really understand any benefits for it other than the fact that it makes the tire LOOK more agressive.

pbkid
06/05/2009, 05:40 PM
Unless you tend to spin them on rock ledges...then it tends to take nice chunks out of them!:bwgy:

well ya...i mean, any soft tire used for rock crawling isnt gonna last very long ;)

"incorrect tom..."

Rekin we'll have to agree to disagree.

fair enough mate... i just know that everyone in colorado LOVES to sipe tires for use on snow and wet roads ;)

etlsport
06/05/2009, 05:58 PM
siping gives more "front edge" to a tire, basically just more places to grip.. its mostly for snow/mud

the lines that run around the tire are for hydroplaning resistance.. the grooves that go through the sides are for whisking water and snow away from the center grooves

ScottinMA
09/10/2009, 05:56 AM
Just placed a downpayment on the 285 60 18s. Was thinking I'd go again with the Nitto Terra Grapplers but the Coopers look like a nice change. I'm not using the stock wheels and hope that my KMC XD Monster 18x9 (same wheel on Rickshaw's ride) won't create a problem rubbing anything. Will do the customary front cladding trim. Town Fair matched the best price I could get on the internet but they sorta wanted me to sign a disclaimer in the event they won't fit. It will take a few days to get them shipped here. I'm sure hoping this works!

ScottinMA
09/16/2009, 02:15 PM
My Coops arrived yesterday and, with much enthusiasm, I dropped off my car at Town Fair Tire and awaited that satisfaction I had been so anticipating. 30 mins later I received a call from the manager. Scott, I am sorry to inform you that those Coopers are too large for the wheel wells and much rubbing and thumping would be present. I just don't get it. I thought VXKat had an OEM VX where mine has a 9" rim (instead of the OEM 7") which I assumed would have been a good thing. The guy assured me it was not my rims. But now Im back to square one. I don't want to lift it.

circmand
09/16/2009, 02:43 PM
stock rims. You can see by the photos plus I have seen it as well and they are OEM rims

VX KAT
09/16/2009, 03:20 PM
My Coops arrived yesterday and, with much enthusiasm, I dropped off my car at Town Fair Tire and awaited that satisfaction I had been so anticipating. 30 mins later I received a call from the manager. Scott, I am sorry to inform you that those Coopers are too large for the wheel wells and much rubbing and thumping would be present. I just don't get it. I thought VXKat had an OEM VX where mine has a 9" rim (instead of the OEM 7") which I assumed would have been a good thing. The guy assured me it was not my rims. But now Im back to square one. I don't want to lift it.

Oh man, that's too bad. I do indeed have the OEM 18" which are the 7" wide, and absolutely no lift or TB turns, only had to cut the front outer corner of the cladding about 1.5" and nothing rubs.

pbkid
09/16/2009, 04:50 PM
scottin-
if your the same size as VXkat then theres no way that your tires will hit when your going straight, they may slightly rub when turning, but that just takes a little cladding trim (seriously like 2inchx2inch triangle thingy)...
and if its rubbing on the frame, then 1. dont turn it all the way sharp.... 2. change the bump so your VX physically cant turn that sharp

Riff Raff
09/17/2009, 02:23 AM

Scott-- I'm saddened too that the new Cooper LTZ's wouldn't fit. Your tire guy is incorrect in assuring you that it is not your rims; because, IT IS purely your aftermarket rims causing the excessive rubbing. The "combination" of wider 9" rim, different offset from OEM, and different back-spacing from OEM has resulted in the already taller 31.4" O.D. and wider 285 series Cooper LTZ tire being spread-out too wide and creating a much wider turning arc when turned.

The "ONLY" reason VX-KAT had no problems is because she used her stock OEM 18x7 rims which kept the LTZ's neatly tucked within the front wheel wells without any major rubbing issues (just a little trim). The use of VX stock OEM rims (1999-16" or 2000/2001-18") is truly "the secret" to minimizing front tire rubbing issues.

I see by your Photo Gallery that your current Nitto T.G.'s are 255/55R18 (29" O.D.). I assume you would like to go a bit wider with a 285 series tire. However; since you have a wide 9" rim, you will need to go with a lower profile (aspect ratio) tire in either a 50 or 55 series low profile to prevent rubbing issues.

I suggest you seriously consider the MAXXIS - MA-S1 MARAUDER tire in either 285/50R18 (29.2" O.D.) or 285/55R18 (30" O.D.). This is a very wicked looking directional tire with a good meaty tread comparable to an A/T type tire and capable of handling snow. Visit www.MaxxisTires.com. Since your OEM tires were 29.5" O.D., your speedometer will be very close to accurate within 1 to 2 MPH (+/-). Other tire websites you should check-out are www.1010Tires.com (my personal favorite), and www.OnLineTires.com.

ScottinMA
09/17/2009, 03:03 AM
Scott-- I'm saddened too that the new Cooper LTZ's wouldn't fit. Your tire guy is incorrect in assuring you that it is not your rims; because, IT IS purely your aftermarket rims causing the excessive rubbing. The "combination" of wider 9" rim, different offset from OEM, and different back-spacing from OEM has resulted in the already taller 31.4" O.D. and wider 285 series Cooper LTZ tire being spread-out too wide and creating a much wider turning arc when turned.

The "ONLY" reason VX-KAT had no problems is because she used her stock OEM 18x7 rims which kept the LTZ's neatly tucked within the front wheel wells without any major rubbing issues (just a little trim). The use of VX stock OEM rims (1999-16" or 2000/2001-18") is truly "the secret" to minimizing front tire rubbing issues.

I see by your Photo Gallery that your current Nitto T.G.'s are 255/55R18 (29" O.D.). I assume you would like to go a bit wider with a 285 series tire. However; since you have a wide 9" rim, you will need to go with a lower profile (aspect ratio) tire in either a 50 or 55 series low profile to prevent rubbing issues.

I suggest you seriously consider the MAXXIS - MA-S1 MARAUDER tire in either 285/50R18 (29.2" O.D.) or 285/55R18 (30" O.D.). This is a very wicked looking directional tire with a good meaty tread comparable to an A/T type tire and capable of handling snow. Visit www.MaxxisTires.com. Since your OEM tires were 29.5" O.D., your speedometer will be very close to accurate within 1 to 2 MPH (+/-). Other tire websites you should check-out are www.1010Tires.com (my personal favorite), and www.OnLineTires.com.

Riff Raff

I agree and that's exactly what I was doing yesterday evening. Found the Maxxis and so far that's my point leader. The Scorpion Zero's also come in 55s but they won't handle the New England Winters as well as I would like. Does anyone have any experience with Maxxis in snow?

ScottinMA
09/17/2009, 04:41 PM
I was unable to find any other options for a 285 55R 18 tire (or for that matter a 185 50R 18 tire) during my searches over the course of the day other than the Maxxis Marauder in an all weather tire. Was hoping for something with a better snow rating but looks like I'm stuck. Dang!

Riff Raff
09/17/2009, 05:55 PM
I was unable to find any other options for a 285 55R 18 tire (or for that matter a 185 50R 18 tire) during my searches over the course of the day other than the Maxxis Marauder in an all weather tire. Was hoping for something with a better snow rating but looks like I'm stuck. Dang!

Scott-- Yup, if you want a wide 285 series in a low profile and all-weather tread tire, then the Maxxis - Marauder in 285/55R18 is your only available choice (all of the others in this size are summer/rain tires). I understand your winter snow concerns, as the State of MA probably has some challenging winter weather.

I also have a very strong suspicion that you really like your new 9" wide wheels, and you would prefer to utilize them. Perhaps another tire option with much better snow capabilites is the GENERAL - GRABBER AT2 in P255/60R18 (30" O.D./39 lbs). This tire just barely missed being Snowflake/Mountain rated due to its 255 series width; however, it still has a super-deep tread depth of 17/32nds and will flat destroy any snow in its path!!! When shopping for tires, also look at the "tread depth" specification (the Marauder is 11/32nds tread depth). The AT2 is the exact same series width (255) as your current Nitto T.G.'s, and just a tad taller (60 aspect ratio) with 30" O.D. (exactly the same as the Maxxis Marauder). If you can live with a 255 series (instead of 285), then the Grabber AT2 in P255/60R18 might be a better snow option tire for you. Check out the Grabber AT2 at www.TireRack.com.

In addition to the Grabber AT2, there are many more "snow" options from various tire manufacturers in the size of 255/60R18 (30" O.D.). Further; Pirelli Tire for example does make a wide 285/55R18 in their Snow & Ice tire that is Snowflake/Mountain rated. The major problem with purely dedicated "snow tires" is their rubber compound is fairly soft in order to be grippy in the snow, and they will quickly wear out if driven on dry pavement. Thus, always check the "tread wear" rating when comparing tires before making your final choice. Hope this helps.

vt_maverick
09/17/2009, 06:21 PM
I knew it was coming lol... seriously though, good to have someone with lots of ideas to contribute.

:thumbup:

ScottinMA
09/18/2009, 03:06 AM
I for one very much appreciate Riff raff's suggestions. For that matter I appreciate everyone who contributes to this forum and would suggest that if you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all. My mother told me that....

lasturbo
09/20/2009, 01:12 AM
Nice meat! That pattern is very appealing. Been on the highway yet with them? Curious how road noise is, if any.

I was curious too about the highway noise???

VX KAT
09/20/2009, 09:40 AM
I was curious too about the highway noise???

Ya know I really didn't notice any difference in highway noise when I put the Coopers on....(and I really tried to assess that as I've got lots of highway driving), BUT, I put the roof rack on not too long afterwards, and NOW I notice noise which is from the fairing/rack....so if the tires are making any noise, I can't hear them. I'm still very happy with the performance of the Coopers.

lasturbo
09/20/2009, 02:51 PM
That is good to know. Now I (we) have another option when our VX's need some new sneakers. Thanx!

mrtew
11/01/2009, 07:18 AM
I just got those Coopers too! They seem great so far! I got the 285/60/18s and they almost seem a little wider and lower profile than my old Nitto Terragrapplers of the same size. No problem fitting or rubbing with stock wheels and ride height. My thanks to Kat for her pictures too which pushed me over the edge. (the fact that I grew up in Central Arizona right near her and have driven those same dirt roads myself might have softened me up even more)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/157/img3883w.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5539/img3890.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9058/img3882.jpg

VX KAT
11/01/2009, 10:10 AM
They look great, and really good with the Proton, more contrast than with mine! You'll have to tell us how they do in the snow...shouldn't be too much longer for you, right?

I'd forgotten you grew up around here...what town? Prescott?

Now post some more pics of your Camaro..:drool2::drool2::drool2::drool::drool:

I just got those Coopers too! They seem great so far! I got the 285/60/18s and they almost seem a little wider and lower profile than my old Nitto Terragrapplers of the same size. No problem fitting or rubbing with stock wheels and ride height. My thanks to Kat for her pictures too which pushed me over the edge. (the fact that I grew up in Central Arizona right near her and have driven those same dirt roads myself might have softened me up even more)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/157/img3883w.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5539/img3890.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9058/img3882.jpg

RallyDude
04/15/2010, 04:02 PM
This thread sold me on the Coopers. A performance onroad offroad quiet tire that looks great. I'm putting them on 18x9 rims, but unlike ScottinMA, my VX has a bit of a lift on it. Too bad they just offer the one size in a 18" tire. Once the I get the VX home to Colorado, I'll take some pics of my rig, and (try to) upload photos.

mrtew
11/08/2010, 07:09 PM
I got some 18 x 9 rims today for my Coopers because my stock wheels were peeling and leaking so bad. They fit the 285 width so much better and get rid of the puffy sidewall look you get with the 7" stock rims. They stick out a lot more from the car too for that toy truck look. I had to trim and hammer the cladding so I can turn the wheels but it was pretty easy and you can't even tell. I love them. They are KMC Enduros.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/6176/img1356.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4844/img1352i.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2882/img1386i.jpg

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9241/img1360o.jpg

VX KAT
11/08/2010, 07:20 PM
WOW!!!!! You're right, that puffy sidewall look is gone. I wouldn't have guessed it would look that different for that 1". And your wheels look great too!

Leon R
01/01/2013, 05:56 PM
Can someone please chime in with their experience with these tires/size on snow?

Breezy
01/02/2013, 05:29 AM
I can...

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/0c1fec0d.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/62ce89db.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/f4305143.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/731d3708.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/8c2e6467.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/e284f053.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/d61ebb1d.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/36d8d131.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/6bd81fb9.jpg

And here is a short video:

http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/?action=view&current=9447873e.mp4

All of these pictures and the one video were with new Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60/R18's on. Generally speaking, a wider tire is not the preferred choice for snow, but the Zeon's performed very well for me. They also left a pretty sick tread pattern in the snow that I loved looking at. They worked really well for me, and I played in some deep snow. I doubt you'd have any problems in snow with these tires. Granted, it will not perform like a true winter tire will. You won't be let down.

This is from Houghton, MI, btw. ~300 inches of snow each year. :)

Hope this helps!

Breezy

*Edit....I never had to shovel my driveway either all winter lol. The VX and Zeon's just devoured snow banks. One of the things I miss about my Proton. I've had my Sentra stuck 3 times in my driveway so far this winter lol. SMH.

Leon R
01/02/2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks, Breezy! The added width was my main concern, so it is good to know!

I just picked a set of 3 brand new Zeons, so now I need to find a relatively new 4th tire :)

Mile High VX
01/02/2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Breezy! The added width was my main concern, so it is good to know!

I just picked a set of 3 brand new Zeons, so now I need to find a relatively new 4th tire :)

Be careful that your tires are the same in size and wear...TOD craziness will ensue if the tires are mismatched...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Breezy
01/02/2013, 06:07 PM
I have 4 lightly used ones. I don't have pics right now, but if you want some I can take them tomorrow and email them to you. One is not okay (sidewall cracks) but three are in excellent condition.