PDA

View Full Version : Idle relearn sequence

VX-157
06/10/2009, 07:27 PM
Hi all.

I am been having some idling issues (such as fluctuating idle at lights etc) and I am looking at replacing the idle control valve and maybe the EGR valve as well. My mechanic would like to know if the VX has a idle relearn sequence? Or can you simply replace the parts and not have to worry about such things? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

H

mdwyer
06/11/2009, 08:47 AM
It must home itself on startup, because other than that, all it does it count how many steps out it has taken. The tech manual suggests that you just unplug the old one, check that the length isn't too long, then install a new one.

LittleBeast
06/11/2009, 10:38 AM
Hi all.

I am been having some idling issues (such as fluctuating idle at lights etc) and I am looking at replacing the idle control valve and maybe the EGR valve as well. My mechanic would like to know if the VX has a idle relearn sequence? Or can you simply replace the parts and not have to worry about such things? :confused:

H

Yeah EGRmaybe, but I would replace these 2 and then see what you have going on. I would do the EGR next after these 2 were replaced:

Idle Control Valve ($49):
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # AC75

or

AIRTEX Part # 2H1018
http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-2H1018-Idle-Air-Valve/dp/B000C1HY7O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1244742127&sr=8-7

Fuel Pressure Regulator ($30):
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR223
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B000C7ZSQM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1244742157&sr=1-3

or

ACDELCO Part # 2142159 {#19187373}

blacksambo
06/11/2009, 01:55 PM
Did you check the OBD2 code reader read out? If not do so, first. Your problem sounds a lot like a code 171. If so, carefully replace the common chamber gaskets. I reco the OEM top, and Fel-Pro brand bottom, about 60 bucks total.

VX-157
06/11/2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah EGRmaybe, but I would replace these 2 and then see what you have going on. I would do the EGR next after these 2 were replaced:

Idle Control Valve ($49):
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # AC75

or

AIRTEX Part # 2H1018
http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-2H1018-Idle-Air-Valve/dp/B000C1HY7O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1244742127&sr=8-7

Fuel Pressure Regulator ($30):
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR223
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B000C7ZSQM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1244742157&sr=1-3

or

ACDELCO Part # 2142159 {#19187373}

HI mate, thanks for the info. a ICV (idle control valve) will cost me 200$ AUS dollars, the egr valve is even more expensive here. I think when the beast goes in for her's next service i will replace the ICV and EGR and i might as well do the intake mainifold gasket as well.

Blacksambo wrote
Did you check the OBD2 code reader read out? If not do so, first. Your problem sounds a lot like a code 171. If so, carefully replace the common chamber gaskets. I reco the OEM top, and Fel-Pro brand bottom, about 60 bucks total.

Thanks blacksambo i will check out what we can get over here in Oz that is the eqivalent.

Ldub
06/11/2009, 10:44 PM
Hi all.

H

I haven't replaced either of these items, but I've had them both off, & cleaned them with sensor safe throttle body cleaner.
Just re-installed after drying & away I go...no relearn sequence that I'm aware of...:_confused

VX-157
06/11/2009, 11:59 PM
I haven't replaced either of these items, but I've had them both off, & cleaned them with sensor safe throttle body cleaner.
Just re-installed after drying & away I go...no relearn sequence that I'm aware of...:_confused

Good idea mate, i will have a look over the weekend to see if i can get throttle cleaner.

LittleBeast
06/12/2009, 09:32 AM

Good idea mate, i will have a look over the weekend to see if i can get throttle cleaner.

Yeah I did the same thing with my idle control valve (just cleaned it - needed to replace the FPR though), I just said what I did because I thought the parts were cheap, but if they are not cheap (does amazon not mail to AUS?), just clean like Larry said and you should be fine for a few more thousand miles :)