PDA

View Full Version : ATTN. Lifted VXs....

BigMeatVX
07/27/2003, 06:26 PM
Finally, got them finished....

Front axle DROP brackets are what all lifted VXs need to save the CV axles....I made these to drop the front axle 2".

This will allow the CV axles to run at less of an angle, thus adding to the strength and reliability of them.

It is a real nightmare to install these though...takes about 8 hrs with hand tools.... So I doubt i'll offer these for sale.

But for those that are interested, I have posted some pics in the gallery section...

Also had to "knotch" the crossmember a little, too.

Links to pics.....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2230
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2231
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2229

Allan

AlaskaVX
07/28/2003, 11:30 AM
OK I might be wrong but you dropping the axle 2"? So your loosing that clearance in order to keep the CVs straight? I just don't really understand what you did, please expand if you have time.

Thanx in advance
Alan

SGT.BATGUANO
07/28/2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
You got it...drop the axle...save the cv's...lose the clearence.... a never ending loop

keep the ride height.

BigMeatVX
07/29/2003, 12:27 AM
Well, with 36" tires and 4+ inches of lift, I don't have ANY clearance problems....period.

In fact, I just measured it and I have OVER 14" of ground clearance at the lowest part of the front axle!!!!!

Plenty enough to brag about.
;Dy;

Allan

niv_d
07/29/2003, 08:24 AM
The height of your diff. will always be a function of your tire size (except for some specialty vehicles…). If you can fit in bigger tires (with the help of some kind of a lift) you have more axle clearance. Period :D

Swordy
07/29/2003, 12:43 PM
VERY nice allan, but what did you do about the steering linkage. Isn't it going to bind now? or did you make a new braket for that as well?
I was going to make a set of spacers to drop mine but I haven't done it yet. I'm glad to see someone initiated the project.. thumbs up for sureee

BigMeatVX
07/29/2003, 08:45 PM
Well, that is the next project, Swordy......

The steering dosn't bind yet, but the tie rods are at an EXTREEM angle at full droop.
I hope to relocate the outer tie rod end to the top side of the steering knuckle....but haven't had the time yet....

I had 3/4 spacers on the front axle, at first, but had problems with the new longer bolts bending due to "axle wrap" or the twisting force on the axle-housing from tourque...and also the axle housing seemed to shift around a bit more than stock....At one point a yr or so ago, the bolts came loose on one side and then all the "twist" was on the other side....so the housing broke (rotated the long side of the axle housing in the punpkin) I had to rotate it back and weld it up.;eekr; .....What a **@#!

Swordy
07/31/2003, 08:31 AM
Alan,
I think it will be fairly easy for you to fabricate a set of brackets to drop down the idler arm and the steering box an inch or so. Thats probably the best and easiest solution. It also will cure a lot of the bump steer. If you have that problem.
Swordy