PDA

View Full Version : Finding Simon Cox

kirk hilton
06/17/2009, 07:20 AM
I understand that in part, if not fully, the Vehicross was designed by the British GM Designer Simon Cox. I also believe that he is still working as a Design Manager for an advanced car design company for GM in Coventry, UK. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also hoping to contact the man so perhaps during some future UK owners meeting were could meet its designer. Not only is Simon Cox had to track down I'm not even sure of the company he now works for. Can anyone help? A website would be useful.

Interestingly, I understand the Simon Cox was (possibly still is) a triathlete, perhaps that's why there was an Ironman edition. That's one question I'd like to ask him.

Cheers Kirk

PS If you could ask a question of the VX designer what would it be?

Chopper
06/17/2009, 08:33 AM
The VX was primarily the work of a team, but the lead designer was Asian, I'm pretty sure. Same guy whose sketches eventually became the Murano and Infinity FX vehicles.....There are several here that remember the original story, but I think the VX started as a school design study for the guy in question.....I'm fairly certain he is Japanese (but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong)

kirk hilton
06/17/2009, 10:27 AM
Yes I sort of thought it was an Asian/Japanese team and that partly correct according to a 4x4 mag "Off Road & 4 Wheel Drive" dated April 1998 (which isn't detailed on the Tribute site) I recently bought on Ebay. But it states, during an interview with Simon Cox, that Simon had been working at Isuzu since '90 (before that he worked at Lotus he was responsible for the interior of the Elan) and on concept cars since '92. It shows him sitting at his desk with the VX concept drawings and being responsible for "a Porsche 911 inspired 4x4". It even shows Simon's racier VX-2 concept car. It a seven page article and goes into alot of detail as to Simon's career and designs.

Kirk

PS it says that " the headlights look like a pair of eyes above a flat black nose that is the honey-combed grille it reminds you of a cute little beaver" :confused:

pbkid
06/17/2009, 12:33 PM
pretty sure bart has the book that tells the history of the VX

Triathlete
06/17/2009, 01:19 PM
It appears that Simon is the Director General Motors Advanced Design. A quick saerch came up with...
This (http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z503/Isuzu-Vehicross.aspx)
and this (http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/c12_0603_1999_2001_isuzu_vehicross/index.html)
and
Design Team
Led by Satomi Murayama, chief designer/manager at Isuzu's European office in Brussels, the design team was comprised of an international group: Simon Cox (Assistant Chief Designer best known for designing the Lotus Elan's interior), Joji Yanaka, Andrew Hill and Nick Robinson. The task was to build a "lightweight but tough, fun but environmentally friendly" SUV.

Most all of these say Simon "penned" the design and the team created the concept vehicle under Satomi Murayama.

kodiak
06/17/2009, 01:32 PM
If I remember correctly Simon Cox was involved in the design of the concept VX and Shiro Nakamura was involved with the production VX. The concept and production VX may look similar but mechanically they are totally different. The concept VX was vary tame compared to the production model.

alanbradley
06/17/2009, 02:23 PM
I'd love to meet Simon Cox - he's one of the people responsible for the (insert derogatory joke here) Cadillac Edge Design as well as some of the other more interesting Isuzu SUV concepts.

I'd go out of my way to meet the bloke and have him sign both my car and the relevant edition of the Car Design Yearbook...

http://www.conceptcars.it/stilisti/nakamura/kai.jpg

I once tried to persuade my course leader at University/Art School to try and get Peter Stevens (Lotus Esprit major facelift, Lotus Elan exterior, McLaren F1) to come and speak/tutor for a day. It was ultimately unsuccessful but I did manage to get his e-mail address at the time through Steve Cropley of Autocar magazine...

Hth,

Alan (former product designer by trade...)

kirk hilton
06/18/2009, 01:24 AM
I would also like to meet the Guy. He in his 50's and is very much active in advance car design and as far a I know he lives and works near Birmingham. But even with the good old internet I can't seem to track him down or the company he works for. I will just have to persevere and perhaps someone on the forum can suggest a strategy to finding the man. Birmingham being Birmingham the location, I feel, would be ideal for a UK meet. But it all depend whether Mr Cox can spare an hour or so one weekend to meet the UK owners and enthusiasts.

Cheer Kirk

Gussie2000
06/18/2009, 04:10 PM
I would also like to meet the Guy. He in his 50's and is very much active in advance car design and as far a I know he lives and works near Birmingham. But even with the good old internet I can't seem to track him down or the company he works for. I will just have to persevere and perhaps someone on the forum can suggest a strategy to finding the man. Birmingham being Birmingham the location, I feel, would be ideal for a UK meet. But it all depend whether Mr Cox can spare an hour or so one weekend to meet the UK owners and enthusiasts.

Cheer Kirk

If you have any success i'll mail him a letter explaining the reason you wanna meet him.
I bet you he'l happilly like to have few pics with UK VX'ers.....at the end of all,is his creation isn't ?

Triathlete
06/18/2009, 04:28 PM
Then maybe you can talk him in to winging on over to Moab on a certain week in May! He probably never dreamed his baby would be doing what we are doing with them! Or at the very least turn him on to this site!:bwgy:

Triathlete
06/18/2009, 04:36 PM
Interestingly, I understand the Simon Cox was (possibly still is) a triathlete, perhaps that's why there was an Ironman edition. That's one question I'd like to ask him.

He may quite possibly be...though I am not him!:bwgy:
Google his name and "triathlon triathlete" and his name comes up quite a bit in European races and a lot of UK newspapers.

blacksambo
06/24/2009, 07:23 PM
Good stuff! Keep it up! He once said he liked the finished VX except for the shortened wheel base to accomodate the two door Trooper frame and the tame dash board.