PDA

View Full Version : Fast chirp sound from front end

samneil2000
06/22/2009, 06:48 AM
Guys, my VX has a strange noise coming from the front end, mostly only heard in low range. I only heard it once or twice in high range with wheels turned full lock. In low, the sound comes much sooner than full lock, but still only with a turn.

It's a high pitched chirp/squeek sound that is really loud and too fast to be wheel related, but is definitely speed related. It might be something from the front drive shaft or perhaps a front axle shaft.

When going straight, it is non-existent. I don't believe I have heard it on pavement at all, but if I put it in low and take it off in some grass and hills and turn the wheel, I will hear it loud and clear.

Any ideas?

Joe_Black
06/22/2009, 07:37 AM
Sounds like maybe belt slippage on the power-steering pump which would make sense for what you describe as in high-range full turns you should be moving faster over smoother surfaces (less resistance) and in low-range slower over off-road surfaces with a full 50/50 torque split (higher resistance).

Travelin2
06/22/2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like it could be an outer CV joint. You said it was to fast for axle speed and the CV would have several chances per axle revolution to chirp if it is running dry. Are your boots torn? Been driving in deep water or mud?
http://www.isuzuparts.com/partscat.html

samneil2000
06/22/2009, 11:39 AM
I suspected a CV myself, but not sure yet. I would think a CV would make noise while going straight too wouldn't it?
I don't believe I have any torn boots, but I might need a wheel bearing packed/replaced.

I gotta get it on a lift and do some inspecting. I was just throwing this out there in case anyone else had heard something similar.

Sounds like it could be an outer CV joint. You said it was to fast for axle speed and the CV would have several chances per axle revolution to chirp if it is running dry. Are your boots torn? Been driving in deep water or mud?
http://www.isuzuparts.com/partscat.html

tomdietrying
06/22/2009, 01:13 PM
Is it a "chirp" noise or a "click"? I think a "click" would better describe a CV joint.
Peace.
Tom

Jay Dunford
06/23/2009, 05:59 AM
Are you sure it's not "bump" related. The most common chirp on the VX is the hood latch, which will make noise when hitting bumps. Quick check to see if that's it is to wrap a couple of rounds of electrical tape on the latch bar and drive around. If noise goes away then you can adjust the bump stops on the front outer edges of the hood opening up a little and lube the latch mechanism.

etlsport
06/23/2009, 06:01 AM
i had a chirp from the front when i would go over bumps... the radiator had enough play in it that my aftermarket air horn would rub against it during bumps.. if youve installed anything aftermarket up front check to see if its rubbing

samneil2000
06/23/2009, 06:32 AM
It is definitely a chirp from something rotating, it has that rhythm to it that coincides with wheel speed, but it a lot faster than the wheel. It also seems to come from the passenger front side of the vehicle. Strange...

My brother is a mechanic that does a lot of alignments and suspension work etc and he was baffled by the sound. :o

Thanks for all the ideas guys. We will find it and I'll let you know. It just might take a while.

MSHardeman
06/23/2009, 07:44 AM
It could be the hood vibrating in the wind. Couldn't hurt to try Jay's suggestion.

Maybe something rotor related? I got a rock stuck between the rotor and the dust shield one time. Started out as a squeak, but ended up as a HORRIBLE grinding/squeeling/cat caught in a blender noise.

I thought that the half shafts and the CV joints spun the same speed as the wheels so it seems if it where CV related it would squeak the same speed as the wheels.

I don't remember the original diagnosis, but could you have a wheel out of balance that is bouncing up and down making the torsion bar squeak against it's bushing?

Maybe a squeaking belt in the engine? I'm reaching here, but it's all I can think of.