PDA

View Full Version : rear area cargo light.

don moore
07/13/2009, 10:44 PM
when i was at the PNWVX meet.. some of the gang wanted to see my mod on a rear light for the back area..
so it was easy to do.. i just used a stickup led light from walmart .a dvd.some vercro .and 2 sided tape..
i stuck the led light to the dvd with 2sided tape .added the rough side of velcro to the backside of the dvd so it would stay in place.. and some velcro on the outside to hold it under the lip in the back under the plastic trim to keep it there ... ans slid it under the lip till the light was all the way in ..and thats it ..it works good ....i can take it out and put it back ...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15093

Riff Raff
07/13/2009, 10:51 PM
Yes; Don, I too thought the flashlight duct-taped to your VX headliner was quite ingenious of you. Well done; as it is simple, but effective.

don moore
07/13/2009, 10:54 PM
i added pictures..in my gallery.duh.. http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3239/medium/led_light.jpg

tomdietrying
07/14/2009, 07:51 AM
Hey Don, yeah it looks good, simple, and does the trick. It meets my requirements.
Peace.
Tom

KeithVXlvr
07/14/2009, 09:46 AM
I have seen it and it is great. Really does the job and didn't require and cutting, glueing or other damage to the original VX.

Nice idea !! :)

JHarris1385
07/14/2009, 10:38 AM
Why not just velcrow the light to the cloth directly? I cant really say I am a fan of the cd but a fan of the idea.

handeeman
07/14/2009, 11:13 AM
I love the installation method. It's back to stock in 2 seconds and no velcro glue on headliner etc. Good idea ! If, or should I say when, I do it can I list it as my 1st (or second since I have window tint) mod? Oh, I almost forgot to ask, will any CD or DVD work or does it have to be a particular song or movie ?

JHarris1385
07/14/2009, 12:55 PM
Like I said I like the idea alot. Why couldnt you just put velcro on the back of the light and do away with the cd? The cd makes it look more out of place than the light already would make it by itself.

don moore
07/14/2009, 07:36 PM
Like I said I like the idea alot. Why couldnt you just put velcro on the back of the light and do away with the cd? The cd makes it look more out of place than the light already would make it by itself.
i tride the velcro on the head liner and it did'nt stick good enough to hold it dring driving. hit a bump and it popped off.. plus the heat made the velcro come off and i did'nt like the idea of velcroing it to the liner of the trim piece.

oh it works great with the those old king of pop cds.......lol

JAMAS
07/20/2009, 07:46 AM
I read this thread and thought it was a great idea, but really had no plans to make the addition.

Well, I was at Lowes (LOVE THE LOWES!) and saw the "Sylvania Dimmable White DOT-it Self-Adhesive Bright White LED Light" for $6.95, so I decided to give it a whirl.

The light came with double sided stick tape and a velcro circle. I decided to do some "belt and suspenders" action and use the CD and the velcro. I double side stuck the light to the cd, then I put the velcro (the hook side) on the back of the cd. I then proceeded to stick the CD into that back plastic piece as instructed. I find that the velcro keeps it from sliding and the cd keeps it from falling.

Teamwork I tell ya! Thanks for the idea, the light is a very welcome addition

Ldub
09/09/2009, 02:24 PM
Saw this seven dollar light at wal-werld today, & while I was trading barbs with Tom, Handee & Zeus,(in another thread) I was also installationing this unit & twistin up some burr-BON & coke...:drool:
Who sez old guys can't multi task?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03808.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03810.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03812.JPG

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 02:33 PM
Lbud - you inspire us all.

Ldub
09/09/2009, 02:35 PM
Lbud - you inspire us all.

To what?...drink more heavily?...:drool:...:_beer:...:laughing:

Triathlete
09/09/2009, 02:56 PM
So Dub, how bout a bit more info on this light. Is it battery op or hard wired? Is it just mounted with double side tape?
Looks good and fits well!
I am thinking 2...one on each side mounted lengthways!

Ldub
09/09/2009, 03:05 PM
So Dub, how bout a bit more info on this light. Is it battery op or hard wired? Is it just mounted with double side tape?
Looks good and fits well!
I am thinking 2...one on each side mounted lengthways!

It has "AA" batts...added a couple of layers of dubbl stick to the center area of the included dubbl stick velcro,(circular) to accomidate the radius of the molded plastic piece.

Those two little nubs are the contact points that turn it on & off, it also swivels in it's base, fore & aft.

Best seven dollar mod ever!...:thumbup:

Triathlete
09/09/2009, 03:10 PM
Gonna have to pay wally a visit! Thanks for the info!:thumbup:

Ldub
09/09/2009, 03:12 PM
Gonna have to pay wally a visit! Thanks for the info!:thumbup:

Any time Bro Billy...:yes:

You got my 6, I got yerz...:smilewink

deermagnet
09/10/2009, 07:51 AM
I got you guys beat on the cost. My rear light was about $4. I checked a bunch of stores and couldn't find anything nicer. Six years later and I still like it and use it all the time. It's more effort to install. It's screwed to the vent panel and hard wired under the headliner to the front light so it's very secure and dependable. It's not super bright, but more than adequate.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx3/475.jpg

I actually prefer things that aren't slick and stock looking in my VX. I like hokey personal things that make my VX mine. :)

Mark

handeeman
09/10/2009, 09:45 AM
Ldub "Saw this seven dollar light at wal-werld today, & while I was trading barbs with Tom, Handee & Zeus,(in another thread) I was also installationing this unit & twistin up some burr-BON & coke...:drool:
Who sez old guys can't multi task?"

I'm agonna hafta try this mod. It'll be nice to have my "Eagles" CD back from the 1st mod. Was getting kinda tired of unsticking the little LED just to listen to "You Can't Hide Your Lying Eyes". Duh, guess i coulda used a CD I didn't like.

1st: If any barbs were thrown at me they all went under my head

2nd: yes dub is an inspiration to drink (heavily)

3rd: it'll take me a couple of weeks to save up seven dollars, then i'll try multi-tasking cause I got Coke and Burr-bon.

Ldub
09/10/2009, 09:49 AM
it'll take me a couple of weeks to save up seven dollars, then i'll try multi-tasking cause I got Coke and Burr-bon.

:laughing:...You GO Handido!...:thumbup:

tom4bren
09/10/2009, 10:10 AM
:laughing:...You GO Handido!...:thumbup:

Don't egg him on. You know how easily Handee gets out of handee

handeeman
09/10/2009, 10:29 AM

First it was barbs now it's eggs.

(so as not to TJ) I'm really looking forward to this mod (rear cargo light). I think it's the multi-tasking. I might start on the Burr-bon and coke now even though I don't have the seven dollars.

Ldub
09/11/2009, 12:20 AM

I was just givin' the Dude some encouragement...you know...to help him towards his goal of $aving tree fiddy a week...:yes:...:laughing:

Ldub
09/12/2009, 02:59 AM
Well, in reality, I did forget till now...:mbrasd:

As with anything that I paint or stick stuff to, I prepped the area with 90% rubbing alcohol first...:thumbup:

Kenny
09/12/2009, 05:23 PM
Man, I just love to pick the long way.

I hard wired leds into the dome light.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/LED_rear02.jpg

Even drilled little holes to fit them...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/LED_rear01.jpg

:happyface

VX KAT
09/12/2009, 10:29 PM
It has "AA" batts...added a couple of layers of dubbl stick to the center area of the included dubbl stick velcro,(circular) to accomidate the radius of the molded plastic piece.

Those two little nubs are the contact points that turn it on & off, it also swivels in it's base, fore & aft.

Best seven dollar mod ever!...:thumbup:

Dang, picked up one of these cool lights today at WallyWorld but the touch connectors don't work so I can't turn it on......we can get it to come on by moving the batteries a bit so I think the LEDs are working....back we go tomorrow..
Dub, there's no magic to this thing is there? You're supposed to be able to just touch where those 2 thingys are and it should come on, right? Or maybe you just have some magic touch goin' on......:laugho:

Ldub
09/12/2009, 10:36 PM
Dang, picked up one of these cool lights today at WallyWorld but the touch connectors don't work so I can't turn it on......we can get it to come on by moving the batteries a bit so I think the LEDs are working....back we go tomorrow..
Dub, there's no magic to this thing is there? You're supposed to be able to just touch where those 2 thingys are and it should come on, right? Or maybe you just have some magic touch goin' on......:laugho:

Nope...just make "thingy" contact & it should come on...:_confused

You did pull out the batt isolator, didn't you?...:smilewink (keeps the batts from making contact during shipping)

Ldub
09/12/2009, 10:39 PM
As always, NICE JOB KENNY, you sunk my battle ship...again...:(...:laughing:

Have you ever thought of changing your username to LED Kenny, or automotive electrics master, or I can wire that ?...:smilewink...:laughing:

In all seriousness, VERY nice Dude...:thumbup:

Now you've got me ta thinkin'...:_thinking...:naughty:

vt_maverick
09/13/2009, 03:09 PM
What section of WW? That place is massive... maybe auto or light bulb section?

VX KAT
09/13/2009, 03:17 PM
What section of WW? That place is massive... maybe auto or light bulb section?

It was in the regular light bulb section of my WW, by all the CFLs etc...

pbkid
09/13/2009, 03:44 PM
just make "thingy" contact & it should come on...

:laughing:

sorry.... couldnt help it

vt_maverick
09/14/2009, 08:23 AM
Picked one of these up last night, and I have to say they look even better in person than in the photos, which tend to make you think it's smaller than what it is.

I got the last one on the shelf at the local WW - makes you wonder if they had a run on these things from VX owners! :p

Ldub
09/14/2009, 08:52 AM
I got the last one on the shelf at the local WW - makes you wonder if they had a run on these things from VX owners! :p

Yep...I should be getting my commission check any day now...:smilewink

VX KAT
09/14/2009, 09:56 AM
Yep...I should be getting my commission check any day now...:smilewink
Commission check and WalMart...now there's an oxymoron.....:laugho:

VX KAT
09/14/2009, 02:35 PM
Got my replacement light....now I know why it didn't work.....quality craftsmanship!! Those two nubs that you touch to turn it on weren't even drilled thru the plastic lens....somebody on the line apparently forgot to drill those two little holes for those nubs. My 1st plastic lens cover was completely smooth, no nubs, no holes.

So.....if you buy one of these, press hard on the plastic packaging and make sure you can feel those 2 nubs before you buy it.

handeeman
09/14/2009, 02:50 PM
Got my replacement light....now I know why it didn't work.....quality craftsmanship!! Those two nubs that you touch to turn it on weren't even drilled thru the plastic lens....somebody on the line apparently forgot to drill those two little holes for those nubs. My 1st plastic lens cover was completely smooth, no nubs, no holes.

So.....if you buy one of these, press hard on the plastic packaging and make sure you can feel those 2 nubs before you buy it.

I can't wait till I save another 3 fiddy. I'm soooooooo excited about doing a new mod.
Are those lights in Automotive or housewares?

VX KAT
09/14/2009, 02:53 PM
I can't wait till I save another 3 fiddy. I'm soooooooo excited about doing a new mod.
Are those lights in Automotive or housewares?
They were in the main light bulb area with all the CFLs etc..., not automotive.

Ldub
09/26/2009, 03:32 AM
:fyi:

I found out today, that the velcro/adhesive pads that come with these lights is garbage...:upsetgray

Mine fell off on the ground when I had the back door open.

It came unstuck from the backing/mounting plate, not the roof trim.

Thought Y'all might want to take preventative measures & replace with some 3M double stick.

tom4bren
09/28/2009, 06:32 AM

Last time I tried something like that, they asked me to leave & never come back.:)

vt_maverick
09/28/2009, 06:53 AM

I found out today, that the velcro/adhesive pads that come with these lights is garbage...:upsetgray

Thought Y'all might want to take preventative measures & replace with some 3M double stick.

I had the exact same experience twice last week, but thankfully it just fell onto the fleece dog bed in the back so no damage. I also tried the 3M tape, and so far it appears to be working well (it fell off twice after driving no more than 50 miles or so, whereas it stayed for over 600 miles this weekend). Another tip though; I had the artsy/crafty wife put a solid covering of double stick tape across the entire back of the light, meaning that she cut the tape into little strips, arcs, etc. as required. Not sure if that makes it any stronger, but can't hurt.

VX KAT
09/28/2009, 11:03 AM
Last time I tried something like that, they asked me to leave & never come back.:)

Isn't this where you'd reply "I have no response to that"?....but guess you can't do say that to yourself.....:laugho:

tom4bren
09/28/2009, 02:39 PM
Isn't this where you'd reply "I have no response to that"?....but guess you can't do say that to yourself.....:laugho:

I have no response to that

Ms Kat get a dancin naner for her wit.

:dan_ban:

Ldub
11/25/2009, 02:43 AM
since I did this, & thought I'd share my experience widit...:fyi:

I think Don's mounting method would be an improvement, as I've accidentally turned mine on several times while unloading groceries etc during the day, only to come out at night on my way to work, to find the light on...:upsetgray

I'm glad the LED's don't draw much juice, since I've done this several times, with the lights being on for 8-10 hrs at a time, & they still work...:thumbup:

Y33TREKker
11/25/2009, 06:12 AM

Same with mine. Maybe an extra layer of tape between the ridges on the trim panel to even out the surface would help?

Ldub
11/25/2009, 06:28 AM
Same with mine. Maybe an extra layer of tape between the ridges on the trim panel to even out the surface would help?

Yep, I doubled the thickness of the tape in the appropriate area to follow the contour of the ridges, it was more a problem with the double stick that came with the light being of inferior quality.
Since then, I've replaced it with 3M HD doublestick, it's had no further problems.

vt_maverick
11/25/2009, 06:32 AM
Yep, I doubled the thickness of the tape in the appropriate area to follow the contour of the ridges, it was more a problem with the double stick that came with the light being of inferior quality.
Since then, I've replaced it with 3M HD doublestick, it's had no further problems.

+1 - Replace with a heavy, 100% coverage of 3M doublestick and you'll have no problems. Mine's been up now for almost two months without falling off once. In fact, the dog knocked the light down the other night by accident, but the actual mount plate stayed put. 3M makes good tape. :thumbup:

don moore
11/27/2009, 09:18 PM
hmm. mine is still up there no problems..:work: