PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the backseat

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 05:47 AM
I spent 2 hours last night trying to "temporarily" remove the backseat for a camping trip.

The end result....

Seat is still in, a "7" bolt is broken, and I am not a happy camper (pun intended)

My overall goal was to add that quick release pin from Ace Hardware so that I could easily do this more often. However, after the pin wouldnt budge, I tried removing the bolts, then backed out of that idea and while putting the bolts back in, I broke off the top of a "7" bolt and had to drill out the remnants.

Argh!

Thoughts?????

tom4bren
07/30/2009, 05:59 AM
My rear seat was removed when I bought it. The brackets were just unbolted from the floor. The only problem I had during re-install was in finding the right size bolts.

Try unbolting it from the floor rather than unbolting the seat from the bracket.

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 06:06 AM
My rear seat was removed when I bought it. The brackets were just unbolted from the floor. The only problem I had during re-install was in finding the right size bolts.

Try unbolting it from the floor rather than unbolting the seat from the bracket.

That was where I was heading, but that wasn't my overall goal, so I tried to get back on track. I want to be able to remove and put back in, in a few minutes instead of a few hours.

crotchrocket
07/30/2009, 06:11 AM
lol,

dude just hit the 'clip washer' on the bolt that holds the seat to the brackets (x2 bolts) and it flatens it and you litterally hammer the bolt out the other side. The bolt comes straight out. I just drilled my bolt and put a split pin in it ......15 mins...done :D

now i can remove the seat in 30 seconds :D

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 06:15 AM
lol,

dude just hit the 'clip washer' on the bolt that holds the seat to the brackets (x2 bolts) and it flatens it and you litterally hammer the bolt out the other side. The bolt comes straight out. I just drilled my bolt and put a split pin in it ......15 mins...done :D

now i can remove the seat in 30 seconds :D

Clip washer?

Can you post a picture to better demonstrate?

Thanks!

tom4bren
07/30/2009, 06:19 AM
"but that wasn't my overall goal"

I was just trying to get you to the campground this weekend. I figgered you'd be finishing the job later.

crotchrocket
07/30/2009, 06:54 AM
Clip washer?

Can you post a picture to better demonstrate?

Thanks!

erm.........that was kinda a made up name lol, the bolt is scored all the way round at the end and the 'cap' or 'clip washer' ;) has a tonge which clips into it. Its VERY thin metal and the only way to get it off is just to hammer the bolt through it.

they dont even number it but its on the end of the bolts highlighted

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1121&d=1248962508

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 07:17 AM
"but that wasn't my overall goal"

I was just trying to get you to the campground this weekend. I figgered you'd be finishing the job later.

I didnt mean it like that. I just meant to say that when I was working to remove it I was going in with the mindset of "whatever it takes to accomplish the job". Then I had to stop myself before I broke more bolts....regroup and remember what my overall goal was. So I pushed the seat forward for this weekend and figured I would have better luck after I talked to you guys.

I appreciate the advice.:yeso:

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 07:22 AM
erm.........that was kinda a made up name lol, the bolt is scored all the way round at the end and the 'cap' or 'clip washer' ;) has a tonge which clips into it. Its VERY thin metal and the only way to get it off is just to hammer the bolt through it.

they dont even number it but its on the end of the bolts highlighted

Thanks for the picture. I bet that is what Merlin (that guy is awesome) was looking at when I described the bolt I broke and requested a new one ($0.89).

So I guess the best way to proceed is hammer the S*#t out of the bolt. I started mildly hitting it with the hammer but I got worried I would break something so I stopped.

Thanks!

circmand
07/30/2009, 07:25 AM
Snapped a bolt as well ordered new ones from Merlin for all of them one is back ordered

tom4bren
07/30/2009, 08:00 AM
"I didnt mean it like that."

No problem - didn't rub my fur the wrong way. Just in a hurry when I responded.

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 08:12 AM
Snapped a bolt as well ordered new ones from Merlin for all of them one is back ordered

Did you order recently? When I spoke to Merlin, he didnt make it sound like any of the 4 bolts (2 fronts, 2 backs of the bracket) were on back order.

JHarris1385
07/30/2009, 08:27 AM
Why are we worrying about brackets? Just take out the bolts from the front of the seat on both sides, lift from the back and then remove. It seriously takes 10 minutes the first time and less than a minute after that.

JAMAS
07/30/2009, 08:40 AM
Why are we worrying about brackets? Just take out the bolts from the front of the seat on both sides, lift from the back and then remove. It seriously takes 10 minutes the first time and less than a minute after that.

Are you talking about the bolts that bolt down the bracket, or the pin that goes through them?

When I looked at the seats, I only saw 2 ways of removing them.

1. Remove the pin and separate the bracket.
2. Remove "4" bolts and remove the whole thing. Bracket and all.

What am I missing?

PS.JHarris1385 - Please check your PM

nfpgasmask
07/30/2009, 11:36 AM
I think there are only 4 bolts, that's it. Quite simple. When I removed mine the 1st time however, those bolts were very tight. I suggest you use a breaker bar with the correct socket to initially loosen them.

Other that that, it should be quite easy.

Bart

crotchrocket
07/30/2009, 12:05 PM
Are you talking about the bolts that bolt down the bracket, or the pin that goes through them?

When I looked at the seats, I only saw 2 ways of removing them.

1. Remove the pin and separate the bracket.
2. Remove "4" bolts and remove the whole thing. Bracket and all.

What am I missing?

PS.JHarris1385 - Please check your PM

i was on about the pins then !

circmand
07/30/2009, 12:34 PM
Did you order recently? When I spoke to Merlin, he didnt make it sound like any of the 4 bolts (2 fronts, 2 backs of the bracket) were on back order.

And I still do not have it

circmand
07/30/2009, 12:35 PM
I think there are only 4 bolts, that's it. Quite simple. When I removed mine the 1st time however, those bolts were very tight. I suggest you use a breaker bar with the correct socket to initially loosen them.

Other that that, it should be quite easy.

Bart

it wasnt the bolts were that tight but they stick out of the bottom and that part tends to rust so when you are loosening it the rust swells the bolt size and you snap off part of the bolt

JAMAS
08/03/2009, 01:40 PM
And I still do not have it

Unfortunately you were right. The bolts are on backorder (3-6 weeks).

The front facing (big) bolts are good, but one of the rear facing (small) bolts is broke. Are the small bolts just to ensure the seat doesnt fly forward when they are folded forward? In other words, should I be concerned that one of the small bolts is missing when I latch in a child seat?

circmand
08/03/2009, 02:31 PM
is probably okay for awhile but get it as soon as you can or get a stand in at the local hardware store using the one you do have as a sample

Riff Raff
08/04/2009, 03:43 AM
it wasnt the bolts were that tight but they stick out of the bottom and that part tends to rust so when you are loosening it the rust swells the bolt size and you snap off part of the bolt

Hmmm, this is a very interesting point. Since there are actually two(2) methods of removing the back seat; only one, may be the "preferred".

The two(2) methods for removing the VX back seat are:

A: Remove 4 "vertical" bolts holding down brackets and risk possible snapping off bolts due to unforeseen rust/corrosion.
B: Remove 2 "horizontal" (pivoting) retaining pin/bolts that secure rear seat to actual bracket (leaving brackets still bolted to VX floor).

The "preferred" method is choice "B". This method leaves the original two(2) seat brackets still bolted to VX floor without risking possible bolt snappage. In addition, removal/re-installation of the pivoting retaining pin/bolts are much easier in choice "B" and do not risk possible lost/misplaced brackets when re-installation time comes. Further, after the rear seat has been removed; immediately replace the two(2) pivoting retaining pin/bolts back into the original seat brackets. This will prevent possible lost/misplacement of the pivoting retaining pin/bolts and will enable the rear seat brackets (now empty) to be used as possible "tie-down/anchor" points for cargo in addition to the existing cargo attachment points!!!