PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE

chaz255
07/31/2009, 03:25 PM
ok youve got me seriously looking at another
there is another that caught my eye but im to far to check it out.
it has higher miles but supposedly been very well taken care of and all stock, so since I read all the time that fellow members will help out and go check for others.
I am calling on someone in the victorville, ca. area to assist. 99 ironman vin 0464

I'm taking your advice on pre modded' THANKS GUYS

circmand
07/31/2009, 03:33 PM
it is better to do a reply on your original message then start a new string that way people can follow better. Where is Surprise AZ BTW?

nfpgasmask
07/31/2009, 03:35 PM
Where is Surprise AZ BTW?

It's a surprise. :D

Bart

PS - Chaz, I'm slightly confused, did you buy the lifted one already or did you just look at it? From your profile and sig it looks like you already bought it???? :wtfy:

chaz255
07/31/2009, 03:38 PM
Ok on the thread advice, I am new to posting(excuses)shame:mbrasd:

surprise, Az. is a suburb to the NW of Pheonix,Az.

chaz255
07/31/2009, 03:46 PM
It's a surprise. :D

Bart

PS - Chaz, I'm slightly confused, did you buy the lifted one already or did you just look at it? From your profile and sig it looks like you already bought it???? :wtfy:

had my heart set on this one, i know the guy he really doesnt want to sell but doesnt drive it and he knows ill rub it with dipers daily, and will be paying in full in two weeks if nothing else (better deal) comes along.
the one in victorville,ca. is unmolested and a lot cheaper....now i'm confused:_brickwal
I should just stay with my original choice, so in two weeks i'll have the title in my hand to go with VX in my garage..

just trying to make things harder than they are....

sorry bout confusion

nfpgasmask
07/31/2009, 03:55 PM
had my heart set on this one, i know the guy he really doesnt want to sell but doesnt drive it and he knows ill rub it with dipers daily, and will be paying in full in two weeks if nothing else (better deal) comes along.
the one in victorville,ca. is unmolested and a lot cheaper....

sorry bout confusion

Gotcha! IMO, if the unmolested one checks out good (we have lots of folks down that way so hopefully someone will answer your call for help) and it has less miles and is cheaper, I would say that will be a good option. Torn CV boots are a whore to fix if you ask me. I just did this on my Trooper and it is a sucky job. Totally doable if you have the desire, but it ain't fun. And it is something you do not want to neglect. And there is always a chance that the CVs have already "gone bad". At that point you will need new half shafts and they are also not cheap from Isuzu. I don't think there is an aftermarket non-OEM option like there is for the Trooper (new ones from Napa are about $70 per side vs $700+ from Isuzu). So, imo I would look for a stock VX that you can lift yourself, and maybe not go as high as the 3" Calmini lift (that is the same lift I have on my Trooper, and also why my Trooper has torn CV boots). You could lift with the OEM 912s and some torsion bar cranking and go up say 2"s, putting less of an angle on your CVs. Anyway, just my 2 cents... :)

Bart

chaz255
07/31/2009, 03:59 PM
I wonder if the ones at napa are the six ball? or are they the weak needle bearings?

nfpgasmask
07/31/2009, 04:05 PM
I wonder if the ones at napa are the six ball? or are they the weak needle bearings?

I just did one side on my Trooper and the Napa half shaft was a 6 ball CV. Came with the outer CV greased and sealed and the inner ready to install. Napa claims to have a "lifetime warranty" on them as well. So you can bet your butt I will be returning this one if it breaks or if a boot cracks. I even asked them if a cracked boot is covered and they said, "yes". The shaft from Napa was pretty heavy duty and felt stout, basically it felt the same as the stock shaft so I think it is a decent product. I plan to get the DOR Diff Drop bracket and replacement cross member eventually, as well as the Indy4x HD tie rods and upgraded ball joints. Right now I just don't have the flow...

Bart

chaz255
07/31/2009, 04:12 PM
Bart im thinking that both sides shaft length is the same so on the left one could just leave the orig. cup on the inside, stick the bearings and shaft in and clamp the boot. as i cant seem to find a left anywhere...

nfpgasmask
07/31/2009, 04:24 PM
Bart im thinking that both sides shaft length is the same so on the left one could just leave the orig. cup on the inside, stick the bearings and shaft in and clamp the boot. as i cant seem to find a left anywhere...

What exactly do you mean? In my Trooper's case, the outer boots were torn.
So I had to pull the caliper off, then disconnect the ball joints and tie-rod ends, remove the knuckle and then I could pull out the half shaft. This also requires removing the hub and repacking the wheel bearings. I think if the outer boots are ok but the inner boots are torn, you can get away with pulling the CV out of the inner soup can, cleaning, regreasing and rebooting without replacing the shaft. In my case, I had no idea how long the boots were torn when I bought my Trooper. So, the $70 expense for a new half shaft was worth it to me. Furthermore, I find it a hard to work in spot, so I would rather just pull it all out and start fresh.

I just know that with the VX, many have opted to just clean, regrease and reboot because new half shafts ain't cheap from Isuzu, and I do not believe they are interchangeable with late model Troopers. If they were, and there was an aftermarket supply of replacement CVs for the VX, this would be a non-issue.

Bart

pbkid
07/31/2009, 05:29 PM
Gotcha! IMO, if the unmolested one checks out good (we have lots of folks down that way so hopefully someone will answer your call for help) and it has less miles and is cheaper, I would say that will be a good option. Torn CV boots are a whore to fix if you ask me. I just did this on my Trooper and it is a sucky job. Totally doable if you have the desire, but it ain't fun. And it is something you do not want to neglect. And there is always a chance that the CVs have already "gone bad". At that point you will need new half shafts and they are also not cheap from Isuzu. I don't think there is an aftermarket non-OEM option like there is for the Trooper (new ones from Napa are about $70 per side vs $700+ from Isuzu). So, imo I would look for a stock VX that you can lift yourself, and maybe not go as high as the 3" Calmini lift (that is the same lift I have on my Trooper, and also why my Trooper has torn CV boots). You could lift with the OEM 912s and some torsion bar cranking and go up say 2"s, putting less of an angle on your CVs. Anyway, just my 2 cents... :)

Bart
yup, i have the 913's and a torsion bar crack....
heavy driving and even heavier offroading with no torn CV's yet.... (knocks on wood)

chaz255
07/31/2009, 06:13 PM
I found out the info on the CV length between L&R and how they are rebuilt by napa (jerry Lemond), the reman CVs are remachined to a slightly larger cup size and new larger balls are put in, so during the machining process the hardened material is machined away which actually makes them weaker so i'm just going to rebuild the existing ones, with the boot set from 4x....

I have some good news I found current and good info for Joe Darlington for those diff drop brackets 300+35 shipping that also includes a new front crossmember...:)

just let me know where to post the info for everyone to see

I am having a set made at the end of Aug. as he is tied up till the 10th, he stated that he would like to make multible sets at one if he could...

tom4bren
08/03/2009, 08:20 AM
Chaz,

The shaft lengths are not the same on right & left. The CVs themselves (excluding shaft length) should be the same on either side.

When my CVs went bad, I could not find replacement half shafts and I couldn't find anyone to work on them either. I finally found an axle shop that agreed to work on it as long as they didn't have to pull the outer races (green cup) off the vehicle. They were able to do the job similar to what you described with the machining process & install bigger balls).

I'll see if I can find the thread about it. Joe Darlington's contact info is already posted there.

I've had a welder fab the drop brackets but I only have 2 spare diff brackets to work with. Both are still out. I don't know what Joe's current situation is with brackets for modification (he needs the originals back as well).

The only difference between what Joe sells & what I have done is that Joe provides a 1.5 inch drop & I went with a 2 inch drop.

Tom

BTW, here's the link to the thread that has Darlington's contact info:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12892&highlight=diff+drop