PDA

View Full Version : No start / No idiot lights

Bulldoggie
08/12/2009, 08:11 PM
Just this morning I could not start my car, like No battery.
No warning lights show, the radio powers and the 12v outlet powers, but no dash lights or starter, after about twenty times I got it to work.
Leaving work it started as normal, but I had an appointment tonight and same as this morning, only no go. I did see the idiot lights blink on, only on a few tries, and sometimes between switch positions. the radio power and aux. power light up every try. I did hear a solenoid click (only when I saw warning lights before they went back off)
I know key switches can wear out but is there a Ign, solenoid that is Faulty?
I sure both are pricy, but a solenoid might be easier to replace at home.

BTW, I have a brand new Blue Top Battery

Ldub
08/12/2009, 08:53 PM
BTW, I have a brand new Blue Top Battery

I would check the connections first...:_wrench:

Bulldoggie
08/12/2009, 09:10 PM
I think you are on the right track, Ldub. I could not get the lights to come on either, I finally got it started and restarted x10, everything but the idle working normal, I unplugged the idle control and plugged it back and that worked too.
I used di-electric grease on all my connectors and my battery connections look great, but my ground cable has some(only a few) frayed and corroded stands (cleaned) near the battery. I'm starting to think it's the ground cable. If I can, I will run an extra ground strap
:_mecker:Gremlins

circmand
08/12/2009, 10:22 PM
disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so? This will reset everything it seems you have a computer module since eevrything is affected

tom4bren
08/13/2009, 04:54 AM
Just because it's a brand new battery doesn't mean that it can't be bad. Most battery stores & auto parts stores will check it for you.

Bulldoggie
08/13/2009, 07:00 PM
Well, I used 1/2 of a jumper cable set to connect the Battery post to the exhaust manifold (ground) and everything worked.
I then went to the local stereo installer and had them cut about 3" off the ground cables and put new ends on. $20. min. charge.
Gremlins GONE! Even the idle is normal.
If anyone looked at the service bulletins just posted, one had to do with a poor ground connection under the dash. Amazing the level of faults just that one connection listed.
Anyway, I'm a happy camper again
:clap::dance:

Ldub
08/14/2009, 06:49 AM
Glad to hear it was a cheap & easy fix...:thumbup:...:_wrench: