PDA

View Full Version : A/C only gets cold at higher RPMs...

SilverBullet75
08/17/2009, 07:26 PM
Can't find anything in the Search, so here goes...

A/C at idle and slow mph blows luke warm... On the highway it's nice and cold.
So, today I experimented. At 25 mph, put it in Neutral and revved it to 4500rpm. Instant cold.

Ideas?
Thanks!
---JIM---

Gussie2000
08/17/2009, 07:42 PM
I have notice that same thing,not only with the VX but even with other cars too.

As the engine's RPM moves up the serpentine belt goes up in revs causing the A/C clutch to compress more & faster.

I'm sure one of our "gurus" will light up our thoughts pretty soon

SilverBullet75
08/17/2009, 07:46 PM
My old '99 Astral had better a/c than my current '01...
BTW... freon level is good.

Gussie2000
08/17/2009, 07:51 PM

Mines is pretty cool after few minutes,instead the jeep liberty that my company assigned to me couple of weeks ago for supervising is a joke of a A/C system.

I got to turn it to the max level to get some chill in there :mad:

VXorado
08/17/2009, 08:07 PM

What's the freon pressure? Only asking because I know if the pressure is too high, the AC wont run as cold. Maybe check it a few times and see if your losing freon

Also could be the compressor starting to go out

Good luck, at least it "sort of" works right?

Chopper
08/18/2009, 04:42 AM
Time to check your oh-so-pricey compressor. Notice any "Dragon Blood" (bright green fluid) on your drive or garage floor? Good luck with this one. Get out your checkbook

tom4bren
08/18/2009, 07:32 AM
I have the same problem with my Eclipse so let us know if you ever find the solution.

& yes, I've checked the Freon - too much pressure. I've been avoiding taking it in to have the system purged & refilled since I'm not convinced it will fix the situation.

WILLY
08/18/2009, 10:15 AM
The vx uses r-134a refrigerant and the proper amount is between 25-45 psi.And all auto's with ac blow warmer when at idol and colder when the rpm's are higher.:yesy:

SilverBullet75
08/18/2009, 12:45 PM
Were there any changes between '99 and '01?
The '99 was ice cold at idle..

tom4bren
08/18/2009, 01:54 PM
"ac blow warmer when at idol and colder when the rpm's are higher."

Understood ... but not as dramatic as what I have or what silverbullet seems to be describing.

"Were there any changes between '99 and '01?"

There isn't supposed to be anything different other than the 'automatic' feature.

Ldub
08/18/2009, 05:16 PM
"ac blow warmer when at idol and colder when the rpm's are higher."

Understood ... but not as dramatic as what I have or what silverbullet seems to be describing.

"Were there any changes between '99 and '01?"

There isn't supposed to be anything different other than the 'automatic' feature.

If you check some of Marlins posts on replacing the AC pump, I believe he indicated that there was a difference in model years.

99VC
08/25/2009, 06:25 PM
Did you get your A/C problem fixed Silverbullet75 (Jim)? If you like I can put you back in your old ICE COLD 99 Astral and trade you for your luck warm 01..

SilverBullet75
08/25/2009, 06:53 PM
Funny enough though... I tossed the idea around.
Not very long mind you...

(queue theme from the Young and the Restless...)
I love/d that VX (astral)... it was & is a wicked VX.
But, I have a new love now... a dark desire.
Twisted, and evil... as only an Ebony can be.
Someday... maybe, someday... I shall meet my first VX-love again... and wrap my hands around her supple...

Steering wheel.:_steering
:laughy:

......to be continued.

99VC
08/25/2009, 07:24 PM
That day could be sooner rather then later. There's no replacement of your first love, you should take advantage of this opportunity to have her back, she misses you dearly.

SilverBullet75
08/25/2009, 07:38 PM
Funny thing is... the mileage that has been added to the astral is only about 6k more than what I sold it at.

WormGod
08/26/2009, 07:27 AM
Funny seeing this post. The little lady I am bumping ugly with asked me a couple weeks ago if I could take a look at her A/C since it wasn't working. Said it only blew cold air if she was up to speed (I know i know... insert funny comments *here*). Well, it was about 70f outside that night when I looked at it and it seemed pretty good to me at a stand still. Took it out for a spin and it was still fine.

A couple things to keep in mind, of course, the hotter it is, the harder the A/C has to work.... so.... I looked at her settings.

AUTO TEMP CONTROL - 70f

FRESH AIR

UPPER VENTS

Ya well, when it's 90f+ out, it's a good rule of thumb to use RECIRCULATE. *wink* A hell of a lot easier to get cooler air in high heat.

Just putting it out there since a LOT of people end up spending a small fortune on A/C maintenance when something as simple as this can remedy particular cases.

SilverBullet75
08/26/2009, 07:31 AM
Yup... LOL. That's a common one.
I had to learn that lesson a while back too. You are correct with the extra heat part though... at 100+ and at idle, it seems like it's blowing room temp air (hot). Then I put it in neutral and push it up to 3k and now it's nice and cold.

I'm leaning toward the dying compressor idea. But for now, I just try to avoid surface streets. LOL :)

circmand
08/26/2009, 07:36 AM
that AZ and others are selling the R134 for refill given our vehicle are anywhere from 9-11 years old they may need recharging

99VC
08/26/2009, 09:33 AM
It has 102,938.7 if that's the deciding factor. Just let me know when and I'll grab the title and head your way.:yesgray:

tom4bren
08/26/2009, 09:34 AM
When I tried to add R134 to my Eclipse, the guage indicated that I had too much pressure in the system. Either the mechanic doing front end repair work on the car didn't recharge the system properly or the system has become contaminated. I probably need to have the system purged & refilled.

I'd already learnt about the recirculate button thinggy on the dash.:)