PDA

View Full Version : Waterpump problem?

haggisgood
08/18/2009, 06:23 PM
Got in my VX this morning and immediately smelled a burning odor. Got to work ok (3 miles).
Started VX this afternoon and got same odor right away.. shut off engine.. (could see smoke from the front of the belts)..
Started again and immediately lots of coolant began leaking..
Hard to see exactly where but it seems to be dropping right below the crankshaft area..
I could squeeze the hoses and more coolant will come out...
Shes still bleeding out as we speak..
Is this a faulty waterpump?
And if so.. is it easy to replace?
Thanks for any advice
Haggis

Moncha
08/18/2009, 07:55 PM
Very well could be leaking from the weep hole which is a good sign of a bad pump. Male sure to check the hoses very well and all the surrounding areas. If the mileage/time is up there its prolly time to change it out anyway. Kind of an insurance policy.

Riff Raff
08/19/2009, 03:12 AM
Yup, sounds like a bad water pump and it needs to be replaced. I guess you've got two(2) choices:

A: You can replace it if you're confident.
B: Have a certified mechanic/auto shop change it if you're not confident.

psychos2
08/19/2009, 04:54 AM
It is driven by the timing belt. So you should replace the timing belt also. shawn

circmand
08/19/2009, 07:40 AM
It is driven by the timing belt. So you should replace the timing belt also. shawn

x2

Failure to do so mean big bucks

tom4bren
08/19/2009, 08:13 AM
Bart's How2 on the timing belt replacement (& water pump) is posted in the How2 section.

Moncha
08/19/2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewcategory&cid=4

nfpgasmask
08/19/2009, 11:43 AM
I had a pretty bad coolant leak for a while. After I changed my water pump the leak stopped. It not too hard to do, but it is quite involved, will cost you some money, and will take a little time.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/how-tos/tb/tbelt.htm

:) Bart

haggisgood
08/19/2009, 10:27 PM
took it to a shop referred through a friend..
Pump (OEM) w/ new timing belt installed = $405 + tax
others around the neighbourhood wanting $700+
Also got a free tow from a good friends AAA membership.. so my hats off to him.. prob saved me another $70-100.
Brutal work for myself to do .. esp considering I dont have the proper tools..
Thanks again for your replies.
Haggis

haggisgood
08/21/2009, 06:45 PM
disaster......got the vx out of the shop engine light came on within 20secs....took it back ...10 minutes later they showed me the oil cap creamy head gasket?.....i checked the cap b4 it went in...looked ok ...was the smell coming through the vents the gasket burning up or the pump failing ?.... engine ran for 5mins all coolant was still in vehicle .....

Ldub
08/22/2009, 03:15 AM
Hmmmmmm...:_thinking

That doesn't sound one bit good.

Did anyone notice white smoke from the exhaust?

I'm assuming that the top (intake manifold, etc.) stayed intact during the operation?

Take a breath, this could be a LOT worse...we're here to help in any way we can...:yes:...:_wrench:

haggisgood
08/22/2009, 12:08 PM
no white smoke at all.....perhaps they installed the pump incorrectly?...they said they let it idol for 30mins after the fix .. also replaced idler bearings, however when i started it up the idol was a bit rough
thanks

Riff Raff
08/23/2009, 02:29 AM
no white smoke at all.....perhaps they installed the pump incorrectly?...they said they let it idol for 30mins after the fix .. also replaced idler bearings, however when i started it up the idol was a bit rough
thanks

Hmmm, sounds like a good auto repair shop to stay the hell away from. I can't believe your friends recommended such a place. Please let us know the name of the shop, so our fellow San Diego VX'ers steer clear.:mado:

haggisgood
08/26/2009, 01:42 PM
Joe Jrs on Morena Blvd.
Now they said as of yesterdeay that there is NO water in the cylinders.. however the compression on cylinder 2 & 6 is low.
Cylinders would have lower compression if the timing belt was installed incorrectly .. correct?..
After all , when i got it back the first time the idol was off just a little.
Vehicle had no problems w/ power or idle prior to going into the shop.
Im awaiting the verdict today..
Haggis

psychos2
08/26/2009, 04:18 PM
Sounds like they screwed up the cam timing. shawn

haggisgood
08/27/2009, 08:55 PM
smack on psycos2....
told me on Wed.. they needed to pull the head... not sure what was going on...
discussed w/ a former mechanic at my work who basically told me they were leading me on a wild goose chase... told me to get the vx out of that shop..
i called them and opted to have the vehicle returned..
next day (this morning) got a phone call saying things may be ok.... that when the pump froze.. caused the cam timing to slip...just as u say psychos2..
so after all this.. they replaced the plugs w/ NGK plats... cost me $78..
vx running sound now..
thank god for my coworker telling me to pull it out of the shop prior to them pulling the head.. who knows where that might have ended or what cost it would have involved..
Thanks to everyones advice..
Haggis

Riff Raff
08/29/2009, 05:34 AM
took it to a shop referred through a friend..

HAGGISGOOD--- You still have one last piece of unfinished business to finish. Go back to your friend who originally referred that repair shop to you and ask him to kindly turn around and bend over grabbing his ankles. Then you quickly place your steel-toed field goal kicker shoe on your right foot. You already know what to do next. Mission accomplished.:yeso:

haggisgood
08/31/2009, 07:47 PM
lol riff raft..
new issue..
upon accelerating from 0.. if i use the gas .. i get a sudden hard shudder.. then goes away... thought it was the tranny.. but christ.. nothing was wrong w/ tranny b4.. therefore.. I think its still something to do w/ incorrect timing or ??
The plugs they repaced w/ ngk platinum... i have heard b4 that double tipped can throw off timing and misfire...
any ideas??
Thanks

kronopoliz
09/10/2009, 05:30 PM
About that.... VX in shop. Symptom: engine stopped while driving 25mph w/ no shutdown of electrical. Would not start after. Starter sounded different (about half the repetition of normal with high pitch sound.) Diagnosis: Timing belt broke. Upon replacement it was suggested that Water Pump be replaced. I agreed. Secondary symptoms: Engine ran hot and tranny overheated under load several times. Smells like a hot exhaust but from the tranny as evidenced by the rough shifting and slippage. Have replaced tranny fluid and filter once a year for two years. Engine has 130K. VX still not fixed due to confusion on an interference or non-interference engine causing possible valve damage leading to misfire upon belt replacement. Have yet to diagnose electrical being as plugs were replaced by the mechanics. Moral of the story: If you suspect bad water pump replace, and I agree replace timing belt as well. Or else the built up heat over mileage WILL lead to broken belt, excessive wear on tranny, ultimate failure of both engine and tranny and a whole lot of headaches. And beware of that mode selector switch as it may have failed due to the excessive heat from the tranny as a result of a water pump that should have been replaced before I bought this badass moon buggy.

kronopoliz
09/10/2009, 05:34 PM
Oh and tomorrow they may want to pull the heads. Sounds like haggisgood experienced the same thing as I. Heats a bitch and so is a repair when you still owe 6k on an aging VX.

haggisgood
09/16/2009, 05:30 PM
get this... when vehicle was in shop.. i asked them to replace my fuel filter w/ one i had already bought... as it was easy for them to access on a lift...ok if u read.. i have wierd hesitation issues.. so finally i decided to check the filter... yup.. installed w/ the flow arrow pointing towards the gas tank..lol..
i reversed it hoping it would "cure" the issue.. however as of a day later.. vehicle still does this... almost mostly within the first 5-10 mins of driving.. not nearly so bad after..
Q: is this fuel filter now damaged due to reverse flow for approx 700 miles of driving?
Q: the hesitation; around corners, when the engine rpm is low.. (10-15mph), she will hesitate.. then kick in... what is going on?... are plugs installed wrong or ??????
Might be selling her soon..... HATE to do that.. but its a possiblity..
Haggis

etlsport
09/16/2009, 06:04 PM
id guess you killed the fuel pump by driving with it installed backwards

nfpgasmask
09/16/2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that is crazy. Yet another reason why I try to do as much as I can myself.

Etl is probably right, fuel filter and pump might need replacing now.

Bart

deermagnet
09/16/2009, 06:23 PM
I googled fuel filter direction and can't find out for sure why it's so bad to install it backwards. It possibly could restrict flow.

i reversed it hoping it would "cure" the issue..
Q: is this fuel filter now damaged due to reverse flow for approx 700 miles of driving?
However, I think it was a mistake to reverse it after 700 miles. Some junk could possibly have been caught by the filter on the end towards the tank. Then if you turn it around, the end with the junk is now being back flushed towards your engine and injectors! I would change it again with a new one.

I'm on my fourth fuel filter and I always use a black magic marker to draw a BIG arrow on the filter so I don't mess it up.

Our fuel pump is in the fuel tank, so it most likely was not affected.

Mark Griffin