PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love a rig that fixes itself

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 05:34 AM
Lately my 'Check' TOD light has started flashing after about 10-15 minutes of driving. I assumed it was either heat related (connector getting cooked by exhaust) or wheel speed sensor related (my front tires are worn significantly more than my rear tires). I checked all connectors under the VX & found nothing. I aired down my rear tires with no improvement. Never quite got around to checking for error codes.

Day before yesterday, I drove the VX to work (brother in law is driving my DD since he blew the head gasket in his jeep:slap:). On the way home I exercised my ABS ... panic stop ... darn near stood the VX on it's nose (did you know that in Virginia a shot nosed kid driving a slammed Prelude has right of way when pulling onto a primary road from a secondary road?:_brickwal). Anyway, TOD light still flashing at that point but then I stopped to drop some stuff off for blujfan. When I got back on the road ... no more Check TOD light. It's been fine ever since.:dan_ban:

So what logical conclusions can we make:

1) TOD & ABS are interconnected and can effect each other (they don't).

2) Something was loose and the panic stop adjusted things back to normal & I should expect the light to come back on soon.

3) My Proton kinda likes blujfan's Proton & was just showin off by fixin itself

4) This thread was started for the sole means of setting a new record for thread jacking (twice in the original post ... 3 times if you count this sentence).:hj:

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the TOD issue?:_thinking

Ldub
08/21/2009, 05:44 AM
I have no response to that.:)

deermagnet
08/21/2009, 05:45 AM
Just check and see why the TOD light came on.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/todsystemcheck.gif

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/tod_1.gif
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/tod_2.gif

#4 and #5 are the ground terminals.
This is a wire that you use to jump the terminals at the data port-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/66.jpg

Here's a video I made showing the TOD check light flashing the code.
The code is 12 of course, meaning everything is normal.

5 seconds, 439 kb, wmv file-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vids/tod.wmv (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vids/tod.wmv)

5 seconds, 5.9 mb, mpg file-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vids/tod.mpg (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vids/tod.mpg)

Mark Griffin

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks Mark. I'll print this & keep it in the glovebox so it's handy if/when the light comes back on.

Riff Raff
08/21/2009, 05:51 AM
TOM4BREN--- I suspect it was point #3. Proton's rule!!!:yes:

deermagnet
08/21/2009, 05:55 AM
The highlighted green section indicates that there should be a code stored now, even after the light went out. You could check for codes now if you're curious. Maybe check a connection if the code points to a specific spot.

Mark

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 06:08 AM
"You could check for codes now if you're curious."

I don't believe we've met. My name is Tom ... I procrastinate.

Point taken tho. I'll see if I can getr done this weekend.

Riff - Amen to that!!!

WormGod
08/21/2009, 07:06 AM
Not out of the ordinary really. I have consistent 171 and 174 codes that come and go. I don't even reset them anymore, they just, come and go on their own. Imagine that. Fix them you say? Tried, don't care. :)

circmand
08/21/2009, 07:32 AM
Lately my 'Check' TOD light has started flashing after about 10-15 minutes of driving. I assumed it was either heat related (connector getting cooked by exhaust) or wheel speed sensor related (my front tires are worn significantly more than my rear tires). I checked all connectors under the VX & found nothing. I aired down my rear tires with no improvement. Never quite got around to checking for error codes.

Day before yesterday, I drove the VX to work (brother in law is driving my DD since he blew the head gasket in his jeep:slap:). On the way home I exercised my ABS ... panic stop ... darn near stood the VX on it's nose (did you know that in Virginia a shot nosed kid driving a slammed Prelude has right of way when pulling onto a primary road from a secondary road?:_brickwal). Anyway, TOD light still flashing at that point but then I stopped to drop some stuff off for blujfan. When I got back on the road ... no more Check TOD light. It's been fine ever since.:dan_ban:

So what logical conclusions can we make:

1) TOD & ABS are interconnected and can effect each other (they don't).

2) Something was loose and the panic stop adjusted things back to normal & I should expect the light to come back on soon.

3) My Proton kinda likes blujfan's Proton & was just showin off by fixin itself

4) This thread was started for the sole means of setting a new record for thread jacking (twice in the original post ... 3 times if you count this sentence).:hj:

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the TOD issue?:_thinking

The bulb burnt out?

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 07:39 AM
Naw

When the check lite is on, the indicators don't work.

My indicators are currently 'happy little campers'.

pbkid
08/23/2009, 03:17 PM
The bulb burnt out?

nice! good call lol

WormGod
08/24/2009, 07:30 AM
Found something interesting with dash CEL/issue lights this weekend. If I started the VX immediately after inserting the key, my CEL and ABS would stay on. If I waited until most dash lights cleared (ABS) and allowed the fuel pump to finish juicing up before starting, no annoying lights at all. There is a ghost in my machine. Almost as though they get pissy and stay on because I didnt allow initializing to complete before igniting. Go figure....

tom4bren
08/24/2009, 10:11 AM
Worm,

I know what you mean. For a while, I thought that if I made a sharp left turn in reverse before taking off, the light wouldn't come on. That 'ghost' got tired of helping after a couple of days.

Tom

tom4bren
12/30/2009, 02:03 PM
My Check TOD light started flashing at me again this morning. Rekin I'll hafta bite the bullet & actually read the code this time.

Shall we take bets on how long it'll take the 'king of procrastinators' to actually getr done??? I'm thinking it'll be 2 weeks before Moab 2011.:)

PK
12/30/2009, 02:10 PM
My Check TOD light started flashing at me again this morning. Rekin I'll hafta bite the bullet & actually read the code this time.

Shall we take bets on how long it'll take the 'king of procrastinators' to actually getr done??? I'm thinking it'll be 2 weeks before Moab 2011.:)

An appropriate new years resolution, and you could get it done a lot quicker.:smilewink:bgwo:

PK

pbkid
12/30/2009, 10:03 PM
ya..... generally cars dont fix themselves......

tom4bren
12/31/2009, 09:24 AM
ya..... generally cars dont fix themselves......

You are pee-ing on my charcoal because ... ???

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/31/2009, 10:29 AM
TOD codes likely to be read:

1) Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much frigg'in Offset......to correct code....please decrease offset until light goes out. Also, consult Riff Raff on the ills of severe rotational unsprung weight & its consequences.

2) "Lightening bolts down the shorts" resulting in voltage overload of TOD circuitry. Either install proper grounding or quit agitating Zeus.

3) O.S. Tire hanging on rear door causing an imbalance in VX weight distribution resulting in TOD entering a "confused" state trying to compensate for Big Azz tire....remove Big Azz tire to restore default TOD settings.

4) All Protons do this as color interferes with proper TOD operation.

5) The owner is a smarta$$ and vibe is leaving an imprint on said vehicular operation. See "poltergeist effect" and follow instructions on how to properly balance your chi through ying & yang equilization techniques.

Marlin
12/31/2009, 01:31 PM
There is a ghost in my machine. Almost as though they get pissy and stay on because I didnt allow initializing to complete before igniting. Go figure....

Maybe you should call those D-bags from ghostlab and they can come out and pretend that there is something in you VX?

tom4bren
12/31/2009, 03:42 PM
TOD codes likely to be read:

1) Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much frigg'in Offset......to correct code....please decrease offset until light goes out. Also, consult Riff Raff on the ills of severe rotational unsprung weight & its consequences. Maybe I should just mount 'em backwards???

2) "Lightening bolts down the shorts" resulting in voltage overload of TOD circuitry. Either install proper grounding or quit agitating Zeus. Nah, that just causes my 'anal retentiveness'

3) O.S. Tire hanging on rear door causing an imbalance in VX weight distribution resulting in TOD entering a "confused" state trying to compensate for Big Azz tire....remove Big Azz tire to restore default TOD settings. What can I say, it goes wit da ambiance (sp?)

4) All Protons do this as color interferes with proper TOD operation. Dem's fightin words fella ... Moncha please eject the ingrate.

5) The owner is a smarta$$ and vibe is leaving an imprint on said vehicular operation. See "poltergeist effect" and follow instructions on how to properly balance your chi through ying & yang equilization techniques. I have no response to that.

ROFL - Yer killin me here

MIB quote: "Yeah, but I make it look good".

VX-157
01/12/2010, 06:07 PM
My TOD check light came on after heavy breaking...front of car meet rear of big fu8king truck! near miss.... After about 2 weeks of check light flashing i have lost my TOD completely...4L still works.

I took it to a 4wd shop and they reckon its a code 13 (GND) but that’s as far as they got...i read all the handy hints on this great user group, cleaned all the speed sensors on the borg waner box, though i could not remove the front speed sensor (i think its the front one) with out applying a good deal of force so i left it alone...dont want to break it....

I then took it in to the local Holden dealer, they have a scan tool. They were able to read the car and everything is fine BUT they cannot read the TOD computer....:mady: they tried reading it as a trooper as per the manual (i just bought a 1999-2001 manual of ebay) but it just refuses to be read :upsetgray

To top it off as i was driving out of the Holden service centre my check eng light came on....:mado:

And now my AC comp seems to be making a noise....

can i cry now? :confused:

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 05:52 AM
You can cry ... just don't let Handee see you do it.

If deermagnet doesn't chime in, send him a PM. I think he's forgotten more about the TOD than I'll ever know.

Tom

don moore
01/17/2010, 10:00 AM
i vote for #4
lol

handeeman
01/17/2010, 10:29 AM
i vote for #4
lol

I'm sure glad T4B doesn't live in Florida, the licensing reguirements are so strict here for Protons and I'm sure it would upset the operation of his TOD. "Taxi On Demand".