PDA

View Full Version : Simple, innane problem..

Grif
08/21/2009, 05:24 PM
I know its a stupid question, and the fixes would be quite simple, but I'm looking for a most stylish/stealthy way to prevent my lic plate from rattling like crazy since installing a 12inch sub enclosure in my rear door spare compartment.

Surely you creative types here have done similar or may have some inspiring suggestions.

Thanks folx!

VXorado
08/21/2009, 05:49 PM
the thick double sided adhesive tape. Its cheap and easy, just stick it on the parts of the license that make contact with the VX and then make sure the screws are really tight

There's probably a billion other things that will work the same way

Grif
08/21/2009, 06:03 PM
I had thought of that, but having a time finding sticky foam tape thick enough without making it stick out like sore thumb. Was pondering thick rubber grommets where the screws fasten the top of the plate and foam rubber tape to fasten the bottom. Or better yet, some sort of thick foam/rubber plate frame that would dampen the entire plate. I have yet to see such an item however. Perhaps manufacture one myself?

VXorado
08/21/2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah get a rubber mat from an art supply shop, home depot, etc and cut it to fit behind the license plate. I'm sure if you go to a store you will find something that will work

Ldub
08/21/2009, 11:24 PM
I had thought of that, but having a time finding sticky foam tape thick enough without making it stick out like sore thumb.

Multiple layers?...:_confused

I used clear silicone cabinet door bumpers under mine...:smack:

Grif
08/22/2009, 07:19 AM
Nice.... good idea Ldub

Riff Raff
08/22/2009, 07:57 AM
I got a better idea-- remove your license plate entirely. Problem solved.:yeso:

Grif
08/22/2009, 06:47 PM
Using Ldubs' idea as an inspiration, I used thick felt stick on pads intended for use as furniture feet so they don't scratch wood floors. Worked perfectly.

Two where the screws attach the plate, two in the middle of the plate, evenly spaced, and a double layer on each of the bottom corners. Not a peep from the plate even at extreme volume. And you cant even tell they are there.

Riff, I have a practical suggestion for you. Remove your keyboard. :p

Riff Raff
08/22/2009, 07:40 PM
Riff, I have a practical suggestion for you. Remove your keyboard. :p

LOL, sorry but I'm using a 20" diagonal screen laptop with the keyboard permanently attached. So I guess you're just stuck with me.:bgwb:

pbkid
08/23/2009, 03:35 PM
you know.... for about $15 you can buy a piece of dynamat that is cut and designed to be placed behind a licence plate for that EXACT reason ;)

thats what the stuff was made to do (stop rattling)

Grif
08/23/2009, 05:49 PM
My entire vehicle is dynamatted, (well not the lic plate obviously). The felt pads were like 2 bucks and 3 mins of work.

Even tho the vehicle has been dynamatted, I'm still chasing down spurious rattles at certain low frequencies. Outside the vehicle, the most annoying rattle was the plate. Ive nailed that down, and am proceeding with generous applications of polyfill to quiet internal rattles. 4 lbs of poly just in the rear door so far.

This will be a search and destroy operation that will prolly take a me a week to perfect. Outside at full volume its damn quiet due to the dynamat. At moderate volume inside its awesome, but some bass drops rattle the inside and rattle my nerves. I need to find a place where I can spend half a day or so at high volume without bothering the neighbors. Armed with enough sticky foam tape, stickytar, and polyfill, It will get done eventually.

Phantom
08/23/2009, 09:43 PM
rubber grommets and blu tac simple as that!