PDA

View Full Version : jerk when TOD kicks in on hard take off

previper
08/28/2009, 09:04 PM
So if i start out slow there is no problem, but if i get on the gas hard at take off then when the TOD first light up it jerks pretty darn hard, Anyone know what the problem could be and how to fix it.....

previper
08/29/2009, 09:59 AM
any guesses???

pbkid
08/29/2009, 10:09 AM
lots of power and lots of traction?? :)

but really, it could just be your tod removing power for a split second from the rear wheels, then putting all the power to the front ones... mine actually feels like its chattering when i step on it hard, but its actually just because i have mud tires and the TOD gets confused

Grif
08/29/2009, 05:20 PM
Ive been having he same prob, it makes such a racket that it really worries me. Dude at the shop told me to try turning my front locking hubs to 4x4 instead of 2x4, same problem. In 2x4 the front wheels shouldn't be getting ANY sudden torque, but it happens in both settings.

I do notice it happens less frequently when I turn the "Power Mode" button on. I'm still not sure what to make of it. It almost feels like the front wheels are "hopping" for a half a sec when I stomp on the gas from a dead stop.

I too am using mudders, Yokohama Geolanders that are getting pretty thin down the middle. I wonder if they actually DO hop a bit. But shouldn't happen at all if the locking hubs are in 2x4 cuz the fronts shouldnt be getting any power at all in 2x4 if I understand it correctly.

Anyone wanna correct my assumptions?

previper
08/29/2009, 05:56 PM
exactly my problem grif. it does happen less in power mode. If you gun if off the line it get's like full all wheel drive, and the three lights one the TOD display light up for each front wheel, the car jerks real hard then drops to just one light on each wheel and off you go. It happens every time i stop. if i give it just a little gas it lights the first lights up and i'm off to the races with no issue after that until the next full stop.

Gussie2000
08/29/2009, 07:28 PM
Dunno but you should try to set the TOD on 25/75 instead of the 50/50.

Plus that set up provide you bit more of MPG.

previper
08/29/2009, 07:50 PM
i just got it like a week ago, how do i "set it up" to 25/75. and grif is havin the same problem

crotchrocket
08/30/2009, 04:50 AM
sounds like the electromagnetic clutch in the transpher case is faulty? i dont know if it has any friction plates that could wear out?? Worth looking through the manual to see if there are any service parts.

Put it in low ratio and give it some stick off the line, if it does the same things its not the clutch. (when in low ratio the electromagnetic is bypassed by a drive chain) if it still does it maybe its some slack in the tranny?

You'll have to start iliminating variouse parts of the drive train to find the fault

Grif
08/30/2009, 06:40 AM
Dunno but you should try to set the TOD on 25/75 instead of the 50/50.

Plus that set up provide you bit more of MPG.

To clarify my prob, I gun the accelerator, the TOD lights for the front jump up for half a sec as the "hopping" occurs, then they go back to the normal 25/75 front/rear indications. (Or rather 25/100 as indicated by the lights, which AFAIK is normal, even tho the actual power distribution is 25/75)

I am unaware of way to "set the TOD on 25/75" because as far as I know 25/100 is what I should be seeing under normal conditions anyway as long as I'm in 4 wheel high. Honestly, Ive never even run it in 4 wheel low which SHOULD set to TOD to 50/50.

And to re-iterate, I still have the problem when I unlock my fronts with the manual hub lockers set at 2x4, which should stop the front wheels from getting power at all. (tho the TOD system will still report 25/75 or actually 25/100 to be exact. In my understanding normal operation of the TOD indicators while in 4 high should be 100% of the rear lights and 25% of the front under normal dry pavement conditions)

Is that correct?

Previper: I'm not trying to hijack your thread here, but it does sound like we have the same or similar problems and I too have only had my VX for a couple months, so I'm not sure whats going on with it jerking like that when we accel from the line.

previper
08/30/2009, 07:07 AM
Grif no problem, you aren't hijacking you do have the same problem, and the more people the pop in and say they do, the more importance it puts on the subject and the more likely someone will figure it out.

Gussie2000
08/30/2009, 07:23 AM
[quote=Grif;170909]To clarify my prob, I gun the accelerator, the TOD lights for the front jump up for half a sec as the "hopping" occurs, then they go back to the normal 25/75 front/rear indications. (Or rather 25/100 as indicated by the lights, which AFAIK is normal, even tho the actual power distribution is 25/75)

I am unaware of way to "set the TOD on 25/75" because as far as I know 25/100 is what I should be seeing under normal conditions anyway as long as I'm in 4 wheel high. Honestly, Ive never even run it in 4 wheel low which SHOULD set to TOD to 50/50.

Ok. whenever you turn on the VX the TOD only lights up the rear three bars,as soon you speedo hits 7-10 MPH the front lights goes on.

If you have the TOD in 50/50 or better say 100/100 mod all three front lights will turn on,my horse only lights one @ the front.I may say as well you do 25/100 which is right so sorry for the mistake.

Anyway,having the TOD in 25/100 allows you to decrease the wear of the front drivetrain & provides you more MPG as i said before.

Crotch's troubleshooting prob can provide you more detail & lead you to pinpoint where's the source of the issue.

Check the trans & x-case fluids level to make sure they are within manufacturers specs.

You may also need to flush & refill the differentials.remember the rear diff need enough LSD additive to work properly.

Hope our help can ease the issue or even solve it :yesy:

previper
08/30/2009, 04:05 PM
It has 75000 miles on it at 68000 before i owned it it had a full service done with a flush of the tranny, transfer case, and both diffs. but that's not to say they replaced the fluids with the correct ones.

tom4bren
08/31/2009, 05:38 AM
I don't think that the TOD indicators are necessarily a good indicator of the health of your transfer case.

Start with the simple and work upward.

Drain & refill the rear diff with a good synthetic & make sure it has the LSD additive or you add it. I know you indicated it was recently done but ...

While you're doing that, check the panhard rod to make sure that there isn't any wear in the mounts at either end.

Next check your tranny mounts. If they are loose or worn, it can cause all kinds of strange symptoms.

previper
08/31/2009, 04:28 PM
This weekend i'm going to do both diffs, the transfer case and transmission with filter. tom i sent a pm let me know when you are in town and you can come check her out.

previper
09/02/2009, 05:14 PM
OK i checked out the trans mount, looks good, the rubber was all in tact and no real deterioration. I'm still looking at changing the fluids this weekend. any other suggestions?

previper
09/02/2009, 05:51 PM
After readin some other post there was no deteriation accpet for a few little cracks but i could push on it with my hand id have it move a half to 1 inch, would this indicate a bad mount? Should it be stiffer?

previper
09/10/2009, 07:23 PM
sorry everyone but i'm still having this issue. I changed all of the fluids and it's still doing it. any new guesses

PK
09/10/2009, 10:15 PM
After readin some other post there was no deteriation accpet for a few little cracks but i could push on it with my hand id have it move a half to 1 inch, would this indicate a bad mount? Should it be stiffer?

I don't like the way you can "push" this mount up to 1".
A good mount, you would be able to push maybe 1/8", no more.
Does it move up and down, or sideways??
Either way, I think the bolts are broken, or the mount is Knackered.

Pull it out and have a close look.

PK

crotchrocket
09/11/2009, 01:16 AM
Is there any way to look into what i mensioned before?

You checked all the bushes on the front tranny? Get a bar for some leverage and give it all a wiggle.

Are the prop shafts nicely greased up?

Jack up the front end and check the movement in the front diff by rotating the wheels manually, maybe theres a bad amount of slack thats being taken up somewhere?

lostemple
09/11/2009, 08:33 AM
Do you have Tone's shift intercepter installed? If so, if it has aggressive settings you will get shifting issues under load. Usually in 2nd gear. Back the dial off or remove it entirely if it has become damaged. Good luck.

previper
09/11/2009, 03:05 PM
Lostemple - not sure about tones shift interceptor, i bought the vehicle used a few weeks back. what would i be looking for? as far as i can see there are no knobs inside anywhere.

crotchrocket - when jacking up the front and turning the wheels what should i feel. i know if i'm under the car i can turn the front drive shaft clockwise and counterclockwise maybe 2 to 5 degrees by hand. is everyone able to do this? just grab the front drive shaft and see if you can turn it by hand if anyone gets a chance.

PK - i check again and i got about half an inch of movement if i stand on it.

Also bluejayfan sold me the vx and he said it started a few weeks after an engine swap. could just be coincidence, and it doesn't do it all the time. could it be a TOD sensor of some sorts. anyone ever changed one if there is one if so how much?

previper
07/04/2010, 09:01 PM
BUMP so i'm back to trying to figure this issue out. does anyone still have the same problem. I've changed all of the fluids and that didn't seam to fix it. Has anyone had this and had luck fixing it after changing the mode selector switch? Any help would be great!

samneil2000
07/13/2010, 06:36 AM
I've had the same problem for a while as well. At least since I put the 33inch MTs on it. I can't remember if it did this before then. What it's doing is cycling the power to the front on and off and on and off, and you can feel it surge every cycle. I have come to expect this behavior and just try to not put my foot in it when I'm accelerating.
I think I remember something about the ABS sensors being used by the TOD. Perhaps one of those sensors is buggered up or something. I don't have an ABS light on though so it doesn't make a lot of sense. I've also heard a cause of this is improper air pressure in the tires, or not having the same pressure in all 4. I think there must be something about aggresive mud tires that makes the TOD think the rear wheels are slipping so it applies power to the front.

previper
07/13/2010, 09:46 AM
I have the stock wheels and standard tires all at the same pressure. I think it only does it between first and second shift which from what I've read could be the mode selector switch on the trans. I'm going to clean it tonight and see if that helps. I also don't have any ABS light issues. If the mode selector fixes this issue I'll be stoaked and I'll let everyone know. It's for sale right now for $5900 but if I fix it i'll probably bring it up to 6k. Cause other than that there are no real issues at all, runs like a champ!

previper
07/13/2010, 05:59 PM
pulled and cleaned the mode selector switch tonight and it fixed the problem 70ish %. The contacts were very worn and the switch probably should be replace eventually. I drove it 10 miles or so tonight and it only did it once.

etlsport
07/14/2010, 06:35 AM
Also make sure your transmission is properly filled i had clunking from 1-2 for a while.. Trans top off cured it completely

previper
07/15/2010, 05:36 PM
etlsport good call I topped of the trans fluid and check all of the connections for the mode selector switch, one was a little loose but now it all works perfect!!!!!!!!!:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

SinJin
03/04/2012, 11:19 AM
I just bought a 2000 VX a few days ago. I'm having this same trouble. If I try to accelerate somewhat hard off the line, the TOD goes nuts for a second or two and the VX bucks two or three times REALLY HARD.

What/where is this mode selector switch that should be checked?
My trany fluid is topped off.

My way to avoid this bucking is the same as has been mentioned above. I simply accelerate gently from stops. I bought the VX to have an exciting driving :driver: experience, not to drive like a 75 year-old.

Thanks in advanced :_beer:

SinJin
03/09/2012, 06:23 PM
Well, over the past couple of days of driving it's becoming clear that my trany is slipping a bit in 1st gear and is likely causing the TOD to react. Hopefully it can wait till summer and I'll replace it along with a couple of other things.

Buffy
03/10/2012, 05:58 AM
I have a transmission from a 2000 VX with only 73K miles on it that I will make you a deal on if you are interested.

SinJin
03/15/2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you much for the offer, Buffy.

Most likely, I'm going to get a new one. We'll see how things go but I'll certainly keep you in mind. :thumbup: