PDA

View Full Version : New Issues!

Mrcln1
08/31/2009, 12:49 PM
Well I had a motor installed witha reman motor about 10k ago at a dealer. New intake gaskets with new torque specs about 3k ago. Now after driving 45 minutes or more the trans light flashes and the check engine light comes on. Getting the transmission component slipping code. This has been going on for about 3k miles and it shifts perfectly except for the occasional sqeak when I'm running it hard. I clear the code and it always takes more than 45 minutes of driving for it to reappear. Also I don't think it's related because it started 1.5k later but after warming up and shifting into park the rpms go to 2k and sits there but only in park. I have changed most of the power steering fluid with the turkey baster method. I have changed the trans filter and fluid also. I'm outta ideas so share yours with me. :confused:

Thanks Guys,

Mrcln1

tom4bren
08/31/2009, 01:16 PM
Why did you change your power steering fluid to fix a tranny problem?

Mrcln1
08/31/2009, 01:46 PM
I read a thread here somewhere that power steering pressure could cause high idle. I changed it for the idle problem not the tranny problem.

Thanks,

Mrcln1

tom4bren
08/31/2009, 02:46 PM
OK,

I haven't a clue about the tranny light.

Try searching for a thread on the idle control valve. Several members have cleaned theirs recently with good results.

Marlin
08/31/2009, 02:51 PM
OK,

I haven't a clue about the tranny light.

Try searching for a thread on the idle control valve. Several members have cleaned theirs recently with good results.

x2

As far as the light, it could be a harness problem. Clean em all out with CRC and fill em with dielectric grease.

psychos2
08/31/2009, 03:37 PM
Could be low fluid . Have you rechecked the fluid level since changing it? Did you make sure to check it the correct way? shawn

Triathlete
08/31/2009, 04:00 PM
The CEL comes on with the Trans Light. That is normal operation. The cause for a slippage code is going to be low fluid, clogged filter, or worn clutch pack. I have the same issue due to running low on fluid. I did a fluid/filter change (to late unfortunately) and my light still comes on every so often. I figure it is only a mater of time before I need to rebuild or replace my tranny. But in the mean time it shifts and functions fine so I am just waiting for the day!

deermagnet
08/31/2009, 04:10 PM
Was it the P1870 Transmission Component Slipping code?

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/gifs/p1870.gif

Also, this is some of what the '99 VX repair manual says about the P1870 code-

The PCM monitors the difference in engine speed and transmission output speed. In D3 drive range with the TCC engaged, the engine speed should closely match transmission output speed. This DTC detects excessive TCC slip when the TCC is engaged. This is a type "B" DTC.

-Range switch malfunction could set a DTC P1870.
-A mechanical failure of the shift solenoids, TCC solenoid, or TCC PWM solenoid could set a DTC P1870.
-Internal transmission failures may set a DTC P1870.
-An intermittent or incorrect engine speed signal may set a DTC P1870.

The PCM will turn off the CEL and CTL after three consecutive ignition cycles without a failure reported.

Mark

Triathlete
08/31/2009, 04:16 PM
Good info Mark! Wish I was still under warranty!

Mrcln1
08/31/2009, 05:25 PM
Trans fluid level is fine. I checked it the proper way and have checked it twice since. Could be the mode switch. I hate to try to get to those bolts though. lol I cleaned the IAC before I replaced the intake gaskets but I'll try again and I'll check/clean the connectors.

Thanks Guys,

Mrcln1

rowhard
08/31/2009, 05:51 PM
x2

As far as the light, it could be a harness problem. Clean em all out with CRC and fill em with dielectric grease.

SO Chris, is that right out of the T.O. on the boat:confused:

Mrcln1
09/04/2009, 10:55 PM
Haven't had a minute to check anything yet but I drove it today and it died when I put it in Drive several times and once at a stop sign. It revs to 2k in Park and neutral. The mode selector switch is definetly having issue as it jumps around when I shift into drive. I'm gonna try to take that off tomorrow and clean and grease it. I can feel it missing or just loosing power when just driving at speed but not under full throttle. Also last time the check engine and trans lights came on I had a Maf fault along with the trans slipping faults. Can't remember the code, I cleared it while driving so the lights would stop, I didn't have time to stop I had to get to work. If it happens again I'll write down the code. I'm about ready to crush this thing, I'm gonna loose my azz when I get rid of it. lol

Thanks,

Mrcln1

Mrcln1
10/01/2009, 09:16 PM
Well I finally got around to cleaning all the electrical plugs under the hood and the ecm hookups. I also used the electric grease on them. No change.

Symptoms:

After sitting for a day or so it only clicks when I turn the key and takes about 10 tries to turn over.

P0101
MAF System Performance

P0122
TP Sensor Circuit Input Low

P1870
Transmission Component Slipping

Hesitating under partial throttle on occasion, seems to happen more when the cruise is on.

Idle rpm's go to 2400 in Park and Neutral occasionally

Cuts off at idle in Drive when stopped and sometimes will cut off before I can take off when shifting into Drive.

Automatic Trans light came on the other day after 45 mins or so of driving.

Almost pegs the needle if I sit still while running for more than 2 minutes or so after warming up.

The trans shifts fine.

I'm gonna get to the mode selector switch next and clean the maf, iac, and tps again.

Thanks,

Mrcln1